• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

drotahorror

Anyone have any basic tips? I tried one online match and got rekt, dude was already 22-0. I haven't played a fighter really since ps2 days.

I realized the game wasnt going to be downloaded by midnight so I went to sleep at 8 and woke at 3. Timed it perfectly. Time to plow through story mode before I go to school.

Saikyo

Can someone help me understand what the benefit of a dedicated block button (instead of holding back) is to me? It feels like it slows the pace down quite a bit.

I feel like it's being kept for traditions sake now.
You dont have to think when you try to defend an aerial attack that changes sides with your opponent, forgot the fg lingo for that...

Thats it, its more for tradition now.

Edit: Defending crossups are easier with this, thanks papercuts

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You dont have to think when you get hit by an aerial attack that changes sides with your opponent, forgot the fg lingo for that...

Yeah, crossups. Games usually have tons of stuff with those on wakeup, making them ambiguous so you sometimes have to guess the direction to block or eat a combo, while MK puts more weight on lows, overheads, throws, etc.

I guess the additional benefit is some moves can be flashy as hell like some of the teleports that hit back and forth since those would be a nightmare to block normally.

Skyzard

Banned
Well in mkx block is on R2, and it also used for a lot of other things like Ex'ing your moves and other things. Also moving back would be easier as it more a rocking/sliding of the dpad motion than individual button presses.

It would be down, forward, back hold but just think of it as being a sliding thumb motion. Ideally your thumb would always be on the dpad anyways.

Ah I see, R2 isn't as good, no. Back button would be better then you're right - for sure with people being used to it in other fighting games too. My bad, thought it might have been a face button, it's been a while.

Not to flip-flop, but I guess they want to not make it easier - in that you have to put more thought into blocking than simply going for the retreat.

DryvBy

Anyone have any basic tips? I tried one online match and got rekt, dude was already 22-0. I haven't played a fighter really since ps2 days.

*Learn a single character.
*Learn to block effectively and time when to attack.
*Watch the replays of you losing.
*Learn to block effectively.
*Again, learn to block effectively.
*Counter-attack.

It's always best to block a bit to see if you're fighting a Rambo or a skilled player. If all else fails and you want to test your might, button mash. You'll get lucky sometimes.

Hobo Zombie

Neo Member
Finally got a key from Nuuvem. Unfortunately, it seems like it is not the correct key. Steam comes back with an error as though I am attempting to activate DLC instead of a game. Still no Kombat Pack key, so hopefully they just got my codes switched around.

Never mind, it seems like Nuuvem gave me the Goro key a couple of hours before they gave me the main game key.

Torn between this and Dark souls 2 (XBO)

Played a fair bit of the last MK game on 360 but i've never really played Dark Souls and seeing that everyone on GAF loves the shit outta Dark souls i thought i'd give it a go.

Hmm...

I'm new to competitive fighting, I literally have no idea what to do as soon as the patch is done.

Hit practice mode and try a bunch of characters..?

SlickVic

Finally got a key from Nuuvem. Unfortunately, it seems like it is not the correct key. Steam comes back with an error as though I am attempting to activate DLC instead of a game. Still no Kombat Pack key, so hopefully they just got my codes switched around.

Just checked right now and got 2 keys (one for Goro, other for the game). Maybe check again and see if they updated it.

Nyx

Block.

Seriously.

After you got that down (high/mid and low blocking), it's time to learn special moves and combo's.

I'm new to competitive fighting, I literally have no idea what to do as soon as the patch is done.

Hit practice mode and try a bunch of characters..?

Tutorial first, then story mode which will let you play with a bunch of characters.

Christ, I thought I might be able to get over these animations, but I don't know. I hate the lack of transitions and overall speed on most of them. It looks kind of...jank. I knew this going in though. Not a fan of the story mode either. Guess I'll try and play online most of the time.

As soon as I get used it lol

even though the tutorial system is great, this version of the game has to be pretty daunting for new comers. think about it, 25 characters each with three versions. that is a LOT of characters to use before you can even think about having a main or favourite.

Once you have our favourite, which of the three versions will you choose?

then you have to learn the combos/specials etc.

The game is massive. Ive been playing for a week and im still no closer to really having a favourite character or play style yet.

moerser

sorry if this was already answered, but any idea when the companion app/mkx mobile game will release on android?

thanks in advance.

A-V-B

I know this was probably mentioned but I think it's important to mention

As many Steam community members have noticed, the size of the initial pre-load for Mortal Kombat X is about 3 GB. This is because we are using a new feature of Steam that allows the game to be played while the full download is streamed and installed in the background.

As soon as the game is played for the first time, a batch of DLC content will appear in your download queue. Check the Steam client to see the download progress on DLC items labeled Mortal Kombat X Install Pack 01 through 23.

You’ll be able to play the game while these downloads complete.

This is basically like PS4 partial install and play. Such an awesome idea for a PC game.

This is also great for those who are bandwidth constrained, letting them download bits and pieces of the game over time so they don't blow through their entire monthly allotment.

MKX being 30GB or so is a very, very large game, especially so for a fighting game, so the way they handled this streaming while you play thing is a very smart idea.

This is fun to quote now :)

SlickVic

Yeah don't even see Steam trying to even download the rest of the game after it's booted up. Something definitely borked with this streaming preload system.

Oh well, can't imagine this won't be fixed tomorrow.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
*Learn a single character.
*Learn to block effectively and time when to attack.
*Watch the replays of you losing.
*Learn to block effectively.
*Again, learn to block effectively.
*Counter-attack.

It's always best to block a bit to see if you're fighting a Rambo or a skilled player. If all else fails and you want to test your might, button mash. You'll get lucky sometimes.

Blocking is hard in this one, I wish it was still just moving back. My brain doesn't recognize the need to block in MK. I play a bunch of other fighting games that have block on a button and play them fine! but in MK it feels so damn strange. Still playing the SP to get used to it right now. My mains are looking like Dvorrah and Johnny Cage, which is surprising.

SSReborn

You dont have to think when you try to defend an aerial attack that changes sides with your opponent, forgot the fg lingo for that...

Edit: Defending crossups are easier with this, thanks papercuts
I guess that would be a benefit on defense and maybe make it a bit more accessible but I personally enjoy cross ups they are a great offensive tool and fun to try to defend against. But anyways I don't like to judge a game based on what it isn't was just trying to understand the design decision still a fun game regardless.

Marvel

could never
Post has been, nothing.

BhHtYrR.gif

Carm

I've been playing the PS4 version story mode and mostly during cutscenes and QTEs I'm noticing sound pops and crackles. This doesn't happen a lot but is annoying. Oddworld New N Tasty is the only other PS4 game I've noticed this happening in. Googling shows others complaining about Oddworld.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Also, either Xray moves stop working in story mode or Takeda has to be in the air?

Going to pick this up in a few hours. Hopefully my SF4 knowledge will help a bit. Itching for a good fighter until USFIV releases again on PS4, this looks awesome.

Love this game!! I gotta get to bed but can't lol. Does anyone know how to change their banner/icon? Mine is defaulted to scorpion/mk symbol. Can't locate the area that allows you to change it. I won some sort of milenna icon in the crypt too.

Go to Extras and select Kombat Profile. Or go to Faction War and select your profile

Not sold yet, even tho 2 of my gaming bros are picking This up .mk2 was my fave imo. Gonna sit back and see how this one plays out..looks good so.far .... who knows

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yep got my keys.

Now can you have the game download the entire thing or do you have to run the game and let it sit and finish?

aparenrlty you have to launch it which is horrible lol. wtf I just wanted to let it downloading while I play dark souls >_>

Hmmm. Hopefully my PC version of MKX fully downloads before I get home.

Either way, I will be getting an Xbox One copy, but this news regarding the "streaming install" of MKX makes me hope the full game is installed in six hours or so.

Top Bottom