• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

There's nothing I love more in this world than day 1 fighting games. Got my 10 ranked in a row trophy in my first 10 matches thanks to no one knowing there's a block button.

I just played 40 online matches and had zero lag. Really smooth.

PS4.

I want to hear a lot more of this.

I'm going to pick up my copy after work tomorrow.

iboTXbNPy4jgta.gif

Pimpbaa

Are all the cutscenes pre-rendered? It's pretty obvious sometimes, but some seem too clean looking to be pre-rendered.

Lord Phol

Everyone.

NOooOOOoooOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Could the problems have something to do with the news steam stream technology? Considering that everyone are having problems and it's just not small things but the game outright not working. I'm hoping this is just something gone terribly wrong that can be easily fixed, and not just a crappy port job.
:(

Methos#1975

Steam performed a brutality on themselves here trying to initialize a new unproven download method on a fricking AAA title launch on the same day as GTAV also being released. In all the history of bone headed decisions in gaming, this ranks up there.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It has average 50% of positive reviews on steam, what the hell?

I woke up about an hour ago (9 AM here) and I haven't had time to process exactly what's happening here, but from what I've read, the problem is that NetherRealm is using a new feature of Steam that allows players to download a smallish batch of files (less than 4 GB) and start the game with that, then stream the rest of the game as they are playing it. I think it's a thing on consoles, right?

Well, it seems to be working just as smooth as it does on consoles... which is very poorly. People can only get to the menus, but not to the actual game (i.e. fighting). Hence, the mixed reviews, the "best menu simulator" jokes, etc.

Steam performed a brutality on themselves here trying to initialize a new unproven download method on a fricking AAA title launch on the same day as GTAV also being released. In all the history of bone headed decisions in gaming, this ranks up there.

I don't even know why they did it. People could have pre-loaded the whole game before release. This makes more sense for after release where people buy a game and just wanna play it as fast as possible.

I woke up about an hour ago (9 AM here) and I haven't had time to process exactly what's happening here, but from what I've read, the problem is that NetherRealm is using a new feature of Steam that allows players to download a smallish batch of files (less than 4 GB) and start the game with that, then stream the rest of the game as they are playing it. I think it's a thing on consoles, right?

Well, it seems to be working just as smooth as it does on consoles... which is very poorly. People can only get to the menus, but not to the actual game (i.e. fighting). Hence, the mixed reviews, the "best menu simulator" jokes, etc.

NetherRealm? Or High Voltage Software?

I don't even know why they did it. People could have pre-loaded the whole game before release. This makes more sense for after release where people buy a game and just wanna play it as fast as possible.

Agreed. What a bone headed move. Instead of just allowing people to preload they force us to use their broken play while download in progress system. Thanks for making us the guinea pigs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sounds like High Voltage Software is living up to their reputation. I'm kind of shocked that they couldn't even do a PC port properly. I mean, come on!

Fmal

Banned
There's an alternate version where the me that bought the PC version instead of the PS4 version is really mad right now.

Lord Phol

The more I read about this the more I believe it to be the stream thing being the source of the problem. The port could still turn out well. Not that I high any high regards for High Voltage but Injustice seemed to run fine on my PC.

Wether it works out or goes to shit I at least hope Netherrealm learns a valuable lesson from all this.

A-V-B

So it's not a steam time thing.

Really will be waiting until 1pm est tomorrow. Or more (god help us all.)

What a tease, man. Total tease zone.

Nabs

The more I read about this the more I believe it to be the stream thing being the source of the problem. The port could still turn out well. Not that I high any high regards for High Voltage but Injustice seemed to run fine on my PC.

I'd put money on that. I'm sure Valve will turn it off sometime tomorrow, but it must really suck for people with crappy connections. Who thought a fighting game would be a good test for this?

Joey Ravn

Banned
NetherRealm? Or High Voltage Software?

I honestly don't know whose decision it was. I said NetherRealm because they are the developers and the "face" of the franchise. But it could have been the porting house (which I doubt, since they don't usually manage such matters) or the publishers, WB (more likely).

Be as it may, someone fucked up by trying to use an experimental feature with a major, "AAA" release.

Fmal

Banned
I'd put money on that. I'm sure Valve will turn it off sometime tomorrow, but it must really suck for people with crappy connections. Who thought a fighting game would be a good test for this?

What genre of game would it be better for?

really liking the cyromancer sub and commando kano. Especially commando kano. The range on those command grabs are even worse (longer reach) than zangief lol.

RM8

Even though I'll get my key late (thanks, GMG)... This is the first game I buy that is broken at launch, ever :( Doesn't feel good. I'm finally a current gen gamer, I guess.

Usually with these stream things there's something to do in the meantime while the rest of the game downloads and I'm sure there was supposed to be with the non-blanked out menu entries. Even if its Steam the devs fucked up on there end too not being able to even hit the character menu.

What were people supposed to do with the 3GB of data?

Top Bottom