• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'mother!' earns rare F CinemaScore

otapnam

Just read the wiki on the plot. I don't think anyone can expect anything near the story from the marketing. It sounds within aronofskys style but it's weird af - people wouldn't know what they were getting into at all

lol today I learned CinemaScore gave The Dark Tower a B.

Shame mother! is getting marketed unfortunately, the same thing happened to Crimson Peak (a criminally underrated movie.)

A CinemaScore of B is like an F in real life. I’m not sure what an F would be equivalent to.

A CinemaScore of B is like an F in real life. I'm not sure what an F would be equivalent to.

An F is, "Why did I pay to see this?"

B and C audiences can admit they got something out of a movie despite overall not liking it. Or they're probably just indifferent and got no emotional reaction.

border

Some of my favorite movies were ones where I walked out and heard some other audience member say "That was the worst movie I've ever seen." Drive and Spring Breakers would be the most recent examples I can think of.

So this genuinely makes me more interested in mother!

Amandeep

Went to see this blind with my friends on their recommendation not knowing what to expect. I certainly don't regret seeing it but I've never had a movie invoke such strong emotions of stress from me before.

Fevaweva

Went to see this blind with my friends on their recommendation not knowing what to expect. I certainly don't regret seeing it but I've never had a movie invoke such strong emotions of stress from me before.

I know right? I was on the edge of my seat from minute 1 to the very end. The small sounds of the house creaking just creeped me the fuck out. The theatre I went to had Dolby Atmos as well and it was the first time I found it super effective.

Some of my favorite movies were ones where I walked out and heard some other audience member say "That was the worst movie I've ever seen." Drive and Spring Breakers would be the most recent examples I can think of.

But Spring Breakers was terrible. 😐

It doesn't matter. You're going to get a ton of idiots in the door on opening weekend who're gonna hate it. They would've never seen it had they known it was a challenging film. Market it any other way and you're left with just DA diehards, which you'll still get anyways. It's a fantastic film.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Love all these insults directed towards people seeing it and not caring for it.

It's pretty simple. They advertised a movie as something completely different. If I went in expecting an a steak and they gave me pork chops. Sure, it can still be good, but I wanted a steak. It's really as simple as that.

It Comes at Night still holds the biggest fuck you of the year though. That's like expecting steak and they give you a fucking salad.

Danielsan

It's pretty simple. They advertised a movie as something completely different. If I went in expecting an a steak and they gave me pork chops. Sure, it can still be good, but I wanted a steak. It's really as simple as that.

It Comes at Night still holds the biggest fuck you of the year though. That's like expecting steak and they give you a fucking salad.
Also loved It Comes At Night. :D

A CinemaScore of B is like an F in real life. I’m not sure what an F would be equivalent to.

XRW8e.gif

Has the same experience when after watching Nocturnal Animals. So bizarre, movie was fantastic.

From the article:

Aronofsky fans provided Mother! with its best score of C+, and they repped 10% of Friday night’s crowd.

If you get a C+ cinemascore from fans of your filmography you screwed up. I can count myself as someone who has enjoyed a lot of Aronofsky's previous films, but Mother! isn't one of them.

Compared to his previous films, Mother! has to be the poorest made. It doesn't do anything with the genre, characters, or themes that make it worth a watch. The controversial scene(s) serve little purpose other than to give an illusion of great 'meaning'.

I hope his next film shows a greater reflection on both the content of the work, and how it chooses to engage with it.

I have no inherent problem with the violence in the film. Only that the murder of a child serves no purpose for character, plot, or themes. It feels like a waste of audience outrage. If you're going create that imagery, do something meaningful.

I partially disagree. The story in the trailer is the movie; it's just that it becomes something different when you see it in context. "Couple living in rebuilt house, where strangers start coming over, and woman grows increasingly confused and unnerved by the influx of weirdly-acting strangers and their relation to her husband while surreal stuff happens" is essentially what happens

The trailers edit it to look a horror movie but the story presented in the trailer isn't a lie. To be fair, the movie is going to be more horrifying for some person than an actual horror movie

Timeaisis

Paramount really fucked up with the marketing of this picture. The film should have been marketed as a more niche artsy-horror title instead of a mass-market picture. The same mis-marketing happened to "The VVitch" and "It Comes At Night" too, and both got mediocre Cinemascores as well.

Yup. I remember getting out of "Night" and people absolutely hating on it, expecting zombies and monsters or some shit. Really goes to show how expectations play into how people find a picture, and also that sometimes your market is just your market, getting a broader audience is actually sometimes counterintuitive and it's better to double down on the niche viewer.

Remember when that one Gaffer insisted that Lawrence is the biggest movie star on the planet?

I think the broader takeaway is that star power as a concept is dead and has been dead for a long time now. Very few stars remain who can actually justify consistently high paychecks, those who are popularly considered 'audience draws' are misfiring left and right and the other 99% of actors are going to have to settle for what the studio will give them on account of the new studio-centric 'universe' model of building up consumer hype for films. Nobody in their goddamn mind is thinking 'sure I'll see this hyper-graphic surrealist parable because it's got Katniss in it!'

Vire

This site seems useless when's almost every movie ever made gets a B. Including Assasin which earned a B+.

I'm not sure how it is calculated but if you are trusting the general populous for movies you are going to be in for severe disappointment. These are the same people who voted Donald Trump and green light the seventh transformers movie.

I genuinely appreciate with Hollywood makes a surprising and shocking movie like this. I may not like it, but at least it was made.

gamz

I partially disagree. The story in the trailer is the movie; it's just that it becomes something different when you see it in context. "Couple living in rebuilt house, where strangers start coming over, and woman grows increasingly confused and unnerved by the influx of weirdly-acting strangers and their relation to her husband while surreal stuff happens" is essentially what happens

The trailers edit it to look a horror movie but the story presented in the trailer isn't a lie. To be fair, the movie is going to be more horrifying for some person than an actual horror movie

Yeah, I didn't feel the marketing was that far from what the movie was. I never felt duped.

This site seems useless when's almost every movie ever made gets a B. Including Assasin which earned a B+.

I'm not sure how it is calculated but if you are trusting the general populous for movies you are going to be in for severe disappointment. These are the same people who voted Donald Trump and green light the seventh transformers movie.

I genuinely appreciate with Hollywood makes a surprising and shocking movie like this. I may not like it, but at least it was made.

I'm sure there are some fans of Mother! that also voted for Trump.............

The general populous isn't always stupid. The Mummy bombed when it was being advertised as a must see summer blockbuster.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I think the broader takeaway is that star power as a concept is dead and has been dead for a long time now. Very few stars remain who can actually justify consistently high paychecks, those who are popularly considered 'audience draws' are misfiring left and right and the other 99% of actors are going to have to settle for what the studio will give them on account of the new studio-centric 'universe' model of building up consumer hype for films. Nobody in their goddamn mind is thinking 'sure I'll see this hyper-graphic surrealist parable because it's got Katniss in it!'

It's weird how this is obviously true yet keeps needing to proven over and over.

I'm sure there are some fans of Mother! that also voted for Trump.............
The point is that some people have horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible taste and judgement- some people voted for Donald Trump. People are mostly stupid idiots.

The Mummy wasn't designed for American audiences- it was designed for Chinese audiences which paid off.

The point is that some people have horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible taste and judgement- some people voted for Donald Trump. People are mostly stupid idiots.

I think this summer proved that to not be the case, otherwise we wouldn't have Hollywood complaining that RT is destroying the business.

Yeah, I didn't feel the marketing was that far from what the movie was. I never felt duped.
Compare this to It Comes At Night, where the title (what is "it", why is the nighttime dangerous), the poster (dog looking warily out into the darkness like it senses something foreboding approaching), and the trailer (infected people with black pus, dangerous to go out at night, etc) presents a very different story than what was the movie was

mjc

First mistake they made was marketing it all over as this SUPER EDGY SHOCKING MOVIE like people would be totally horrified. Turned me off tbh.

Top Bottom