• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother Told Her Daughter Died After Birth Reunited With Her After 50 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajack

http://fox2now.com/2015/04/09/mom-reunited-with-daughter-50-years-after-being-told-she-died/

OLIVETTE, MO (KTVI) – An Olivette family is the subject of a story full of joy and mystery.

Forty-nine years ago, a woman was told her daughter had died just after hours after being born. But on Thursday, the mother and daughter were reunited — and both very much alive.

Zella Jackson Price, 76, met her daughter, Melanie Diane Gilmore, in person for the first time at Price’s home in Olivette.

“There’s nothing greater. There’s nothing greater than this. Nothing,” Price said.

Melanie arrived with her own daughter and son at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport from Oregon. That’s also where Melanie met her brother, Harvey, for the first time.

Their story begins at the old Homer G. Phillips Hospital in St. Louis. Shortly after delivering her baby, Zella Price was told the infant died. But Melanie was alive and for some unknown reason, she adopted by another family.

Zella Price said she is hurt by the years of separation, but is thankful for this second chance.

This is simply amazing. That mother is unbelievably fortunate.

Mr-Joker

Banned
fortunate is not the words i'd use.. sure she'll be happier knowing her daughter was alive but the 50 years lost is quiet a huge pill to swallow

This pretty much.

I mean it's nice that they are reunited but they missed out on a lot.

lem0n

Better late than never, right? I'm not quite sure if I feel happy or sad for the whole family... As long as they're happy, I'm happy. :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How...?

Did the wrong baby get marked as dead?

Was a nurse/doctor selling babies on an adoption black market?

I feel both elated and sadness at the situation. Obviously that's 50 years they'll never get back, but at least they have the present where they know each other is still alive.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gilmore lost her hearing at the age of three because of a childhood illness. This reunion is something she has wanted for a long time.

“I am just so happy…very excited,” she said.

Gilmore’s children knew about their mom’s wish. They used the Internet and eventually found Zella Price. DNA testing confirmed Zella is Melanie’s mother.

YouTube description said:
In August 2014, an attempt was made by Melanie’s children to begin the search of their grandmother, Zella Jackson-Price, by contacting her family members via Facebook message but there was not enough evidence to prove Zella had a daughter named Melanie so this search was discontinued until February 20th, 2015. On this day, one of Melanie’s daughters messaged Zella with questions regarding to having a daughter in 1965. Zella messaged back with questions, answers, and facts of birthing a baby girl. In order to prove that Zella and Melanie were biologically related to one another, a dna test had to be performed.

So wait, did Melanie's kids already know the name of the person they were looking for? So presumably the adoption agency knew about the mother's identity and gave it to the grandkids?

I'm a little confused. This sounds like it was a pretty easy mystery to solve, yet no one bothered to solve it for 50 years.

How...?

Did the wrong baby get marked as dead?

Was a nurse/doctor selling babies on an adoption black market?

Seriously...

This was the mid 60's, so I get how mix ups might have happened, but still, it's pretty unbelievable something like that would happen without any sort of explanation.

Rajack

Seriously...

This was the mid 60's, so I get how mix ups might have happened, but still, it's pretty unbelievable something like that would happen without any sort of explanation.

Problem is anyone who could possibly offer an explanation is now dead, and that hospital's medical records are most likely lost.

Alphahawk

Problem is anyone who could possibly offer an explanation is now dead, and that hospital's medical records are most likely lost.

Assuming some of the nurses would of been in there late 20's/early 30s at the time someone who knows something probably is. Telling someone there baby is dead when it's not then giving it to another couple is not just a small slip up.

knitoe

I smell lawsuit and settlement. It's kinda fucked up. If that happen with my kids, I'll probably go postal.

YoungHav

Banned
I already knew they were black from the headline. This may not have been a mixup. If she were a single mom then it was probably on purpose.

In similar fashion, there were a lot of cases in the U.S. of black single mothers and other undesirables being sterilized without their consent.

I already knew they were black from the headline. This may not have been a mixup. If she were a single mom then it was probably on purpose.

In similar fashion, there were a lot of cases in the U.S. of black single mothers and other undesirables being sterilized without their consent.

I don't believe that she was a single mother in the video they made a statement about the father dying a few years before they got in contact.

Kettch

Yeah, this really sounds like someone stole her baby. If it was just a mix up, then some other mother would have been given the baby (presumably of the one who died), rather than being adopted.

Damn, this is like the TV show Switched at Birth. but with one of the baby died.

Bay Kennish, a teenage girl from the wealthy Kansas City suburb of Mission Hills, Kansas, discovers from a school lab assignment that her AB blood type is incompatible with her type A parents John and Kathryn. Genetic testing confirms she is not the Kennishes' biological daughter, which leads in turn to the revelation that the hospital mistakenly switched her with another newborn, Daphne Vasquez, who lives with her single mother Regina and grandmother Adriana in the low-income neighborhood of East Riverside, Missouri. Daphne is deaf, having lost her hearing as a result of contracting meningitis at age three.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_at_Birth_(TV_series)

FyreWulff

Yeah, this really sounds like someone stole her baby. If it was just a mix up, then some other mother would have been given the baby (presumably of the one who died), rather than being adopted.

Doesn't even have to be stolen. Racists running hospitals would often take babies away from black mothers with various methods, and often sterilize the mother without her consent.

Sadly, it's safe to assume this wasn't an accident.

Madness

Sue the fuck out of the hospital or try and get some money if you can, give the proceeds to the new grandkids she has, or donate it to a children's hospital or neo-natal, pre-natal birth facility so stuff like this never happens again.

Lamel

Banned
That's just sad. She basically lived her whole life without her daughter only to find out she's actually alive.

Husker86

Wouldn't there be a statue of limitations on fraud/forgery?

59af8Lm.jpg

yuna55

Sue the fuck out of the hospital or try and get some money if you can, give the proceeds to the new grandkids she has, or donate it to a children's hospital or neo-natal, pre-natal birth facility so stuff like this never happens again.

The hospital closed almost 40 years ago.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Man this story is bizarre. I'm happy for them. Would love to read a report on the investigation on what happened at the hospital.

n0razi

you would be ok if your recently acquired business got sued for something that happened 50 years ago by employees who are now dead?

MIMIC

Banned
Saw this on CNN yesterday. Sooooooo heartwarming! Especially the part where they hug in the driveway ^_^

But then they talked about the other mothers who were told that their children had died.....all because of some baby-selling scheme. WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom