• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Rhoxin

Banned
Don't get mad at the AI guys, lazy ass AI programing since MS 1.

Just finish the single player and then come try to beat me in multiplayer ;)

Thrakier

Rhoxin said:
Don't get mad at the AI guys, lazy ass AI programing since MS 1.

Just finish the single player and then come try to beat me in multiplayer ;)

I don't think that this has something to do with "lazy" or not. It's more a design decision. I mean, which kind of AI would be "not lazy"?

wouwie

Thrakier said:
I don't think that this has something to do with "lazy" or not. It's more a design decision. I mean, which kind of AI would be "not lazy"?

It's not lazy programming. The AI has been programmed to run you off the track as much as possible. There is a big very noticable difference with Pacific Rift. There was virtually no AI ramming (or none at all) in that game. I would never have finished that campaign if it was.

Somebody at Evolution must have thought this would be a brilliant fun addition because crashing is fun. That someone should never be allowed near game design in his life anymore.

Anyway, what's the point... I can't believe they can screw up their game (and more than two years of hard work) with such lousy game design.

Varth

First a damn bug wouldn't let me connect and had to erase my save file (thank god for cloud storage) and the whole 200+MB of patch.

Now, the effin freezes every time I try to play multiplayer. Fix that shit, Guerr... ehr, Evolution!

Really want to play this online. Would be the first MS I can play in multi :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
wouwie said:
After playing some more, i'm convinced there is an awesome Motorstorm hidden in there somewhere but some things piss me off so much that it completely destroys the fun.

The destruction turned out far better than i had thought. It doesn't feel like a gimmick. It feels quite natural. It also doesn't break the flow of the gameplay. Some of the later levels are impressive and all with a rock solid framerate.

The multiplayer seems all kinds of broken. At one point, it hard locked my ps3 and i had to reset. But apparently they are aware of the problems.

The thing that completely takes away any fun i could have with this game is the AI of the opponents. Apparently somebody at Evolution thought it would be a great idea if the AI wasn't focused on winning but on making you crash all the time. They ram you from behind (which is the worst game mechanic ever devised because you can't see them coming and you can't do shit about it) and from the side all the time.

I'm sorry but unless they patch this out, i'm done with the game. Which is a shame because there is a good game in there.

I agree with the annoyances, but that's why you quickly finish the campaign (it only takes a few hours) and then focus on the online mode (given that it works... which it has done for the few races I've done so far).

wouwie said:
The thing that completely takes away any fun i could have with this game is the AI of the opponents. Apparently somebody at Evolution thought it would be a great idea if the AI wasn't focused on winning but on making you crash all the time. They ram you from behind (which is the worst game mechanic ever devised because you can't see them coming and you can't do shit about it) and from the side all the time.

There are so many different paths through the tracks, it may well be that you're not taking a smart alternative route where, say, most of the bikers hang out if you catch my drift. This is probably why I don't have as much problems with this (that or I'm just too fast ;) ) as I tend to seek out the correct path particularly for the bike almost instinctively.

I'm sorry but unless they patch this out, i'm done with the game. Which is a shame because there is a good game in there.

Speaking of not seeing them coming, and not that I ever do, but I'm pretty sure you can look behind you (and in every other direction). If I remember correctly there's a controller config option that dedicates the right stick to looking around while driving? I'll check.

ManeKast

wouwie said:
It's not lazy programming. The AI has been programmed to run you off the track as much as possible. There is a big very noticable difference with Pacific Rift. There was virtually no AI ramming (or none at all) in that game. I would never have finished that campaign if it was.

Somebody at Evolution must have thought this would be a brilliant fun addition because crashing is fun. That someone should never be allowed near game design in his life anymore.

Anyway, what's the point... I can't believe they can screw up their game (and more than two years of hard work) with such lousy game design.

The A.I. ramming has been driving me insane now that I am up to the harder levels. It seems as if they know the exact spots to give you a bump to make you collide fair into a really really annoying area where the best thing that can happen is to crash, the worst is you slide out and get air backwards off some little fallen piece of metal/rock (and it doesnt allow you to reset to track until you land). This can make you go from second place to last and is incredibly cheap feeling.

To compare, in multiplayer only a really skilled player could ever pull this off or someone has to fluke it pretty much. I get the feeling that the ramming was very deliberate and accurate. It seems the A.I. rams each other as well. Multiplayer is where its at.

Thrakier

wouwie said:

Hm, so far it's not nearly as bad as in MS1. That said, I'm not done with the campaign, so...which race are going for at the moment?

Rhoxin

Banned
MiniBossBattle said:
Driving wheel support?! Day one for me (please come to the US soon)!

I got a G27 but comeon, how the hell does one play MS with a wheel, are you guys serious?
Should i really try this?

yurinka

Just completed the 1st difficulty. This game is fucking awesome.

They must fire the guy in charge of the demos.

Rhoxin said:
I got a G27 but comeon, how the hell does one play MS with a wheel, are you guys serious?
Should i really try this?

Yeah, I've just now started the final part of Big Dog's run with the wheel, but generally it's pretty darn amazing with the wheel, you should definitely give it a go!

And as to the AI ramming thing, since I'm now just about done, there were one or two races where the AI was targeting me, sure, but that just means you have to learn to cope with that - take better routes, be careful around big cars, etc. Also, you can take out other cars yourself, which can be a lot of fun. :p But, and this is important, it will also create rivalry - I had a pretty big fight with a blue van type car in I think a race on the docks. Even there though, it was mostly finding better routes if I wanted to avoid that, and there almost always seem to be better routes to take for smaller/more fragile cars. Adjusting your boost strategy helps too - completely using up a long boost on long stretches means you're not vulnerable. If you're third and two trucks are ahead of you, you can wait with overtaking them until there's a good strategic moment too and keep them where you can see them in the meantime, rather than having the both of them behind you. ;)

glaurung

Finally managed to get into a series of online games. Ran against some Germans, one of who blasted some retarded German TV show over the headset. Had to mute him in the end. But the racing was fun. The betting system is a big unknown to me, but the pure thrill of the drive was awesome.

Then I spent over ten minutes customizing my rides. But when I tried to get into another online game, I got an error message about how the connection failed and then the game froze again. There are definitely some bugs to be ironed out in there.

Yamibito

I ordered a copy off of ebay :D, can't wait to play it, I'm up for some online matches when I get it (will plonk my PSN ID on here when I get it).

BPK

I'm starting to warm up to the demo. Two observations (both good and bad):

1. The graphics are excellent. I'm just playing the demo track - which people with the full game say is pretty bland compared to the others - but there's tons going on and it all looks beautiful.

2. Now for so-so: I played PR for about an hour then went to the demo. The handling of the rally car is radically different in MSA than MSPR. I can't put my finger on it, but the rally car seem to be too forgiving in Apocalypse and just respond perfectly to your every move...almost as if it's glued to the surface. In Pacific Rift the handling was much more volatile and unforgiving. Has anyone else noticed this?

Starting to enjoy the game more. Might upgrade this from a rental to a purchase when it hits Toronto shelves.

Shearie

BPK said:
The handling of the rally car is radically different in MSA than MSPR.

I haven't played the MSA demo but I thought I read from people who did that the car you use in the demo was the new Supercar, not the Rallycar.

BPK

Shearie said:
I haven't played the MSA demo but I thought I read from people who did that the car you use in the demo was the new Supercar, not the Rallycar.

Ah, that would explain it then. Rally car or supercar, however, the handling is way too forgiving. It's like thing has perfect traction. Hence the name "super" I guess...

Ainigma

Neo Member
Is there a known problem with online?

Leaderboards are not coming up after a race and every time i've tried to find a game nothing happens, or when it says 'joining game' my ps3 locked up?

BeeDog

Ainigma said:
Is there a known problem with online?

Leaderboards are not coming up after a race and every time i've tried to find a game nothing happens, or when it says 'joining game' my ps3 locked up?

Yeah, there are tons of issues with online at the moment. So don't worry, your PS3 isn't the only one locking up. :p

Ainigma

Neo Member
BeeDog said:
Yeah, there are tons of issues with online at the moment. So don't worry, your PS3 isn't the only one locking up. :p

Thanks.

Shame, nearly finished the single player campaign and really want to play it online!

Suzzopher

I am so jealous of those who have this :(

Any idea on when Sony are planning a UK release? I see the American one in April is delayed so May? June?

Thrakier

BPK said:
Ah, that would explain it then. Rally car or supercar, however, the handling is way too forgiving. It's like thing has perfect traction. Hence the name "super" I guess...

You are on tarmac, so you have way better grip most of the time. All in all, I think the handling is pretty much the same.

Varth

ObnoxiousZebra said:
I cannot handle the Super Mini for the life of me. I hate it when the story mode makes me use it. =(

Luckily there's only one true race in it, and it's difficult as HELL.

The game would be a frustration with Pacific Rift handling.

Don't know why many say the handling is different. The only real difference is the terrain, that' less mud and more tarmac and concrete in Apocalypse. Proof is, on the few sections and courses that have mud, the handling is exactly the same as PR.

BeeDog

Varth said:
Luckily there's only one true race in it, and it's difficult as HELL.

Don't know why many say the handling is different. The only real difference is the terrain, that' less mud and more tarmac and concrete in Apocalypse. Proof is, on the few sections and courses that have mud, the handling is exactly the same as PR.

I don't agree, the handling is much more forgiving than Pacific Rift (which I replayed directly after trying the MS3 demo). All vehicles are more grounded and stable regardless of the terrain. Case in point, drive a motorcycle and do some fenderbending with another vehicle. In MS3, you aren't destroyed immediately (like in PR). Also, bumping into smaller geometry won't activate moon physics here anymore.

Ainigma

Neo Member
I don't think it's always how the thing handles, it's all the stuff going off around you.

What I found last night in one event, in which I had to try 3 or 4 times, things happened at different stages, so each race was different, haven't noticed until now as I haven't had to re-try too many, but I thought that was good.

A question regarding Time Trials, is all the enviromental stuff turned off? so you just have the track in that time of day?

Thrakier

Just read this german review: http://www.gameswelt.de/articles/reviews/6984-MotorStorm_Apocalypse/index.html

71%, graphics 4 out of 8. They are basically saying that MS:A looks worse than PR and MS1, almost like a PS2 game from time to time, just some nice explosion and rain effects. I just don't get how any reviewer can state something like that. MS:A is clearly one of the prettiest games I played so far, the graphics are breathtaking sometimes. The framerate is rocksolid.

Is it me? Is there some kind of parallel world and they are playing a different motorstorm? I just don't see it, really. How can they say stuff like that. That's totally beyond me. They are showing off this awesome hurricane beachwalk course with all the stuff going on and the awesome lighting while stating "graphics are not good". What the hell, seriously.

Mihku

Thrakier said:
Is it me? Is there some kind of parallel world and they are playing a different motorstorm? I just don't see it, really. How can they say stuff like that.

It reminds me of Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time reviews. It also got hammered because it was more of the same (even though it had a much bigger diversity in gameplay) and for some weird reason there was a lot of fuss about the graphics.

Really don't get those "negative" Motorstorm reviews. It's bigger, better and more pretty, yet that's not enough it seems. I guess some franchises get treated a lot more different then other.

Thrakier

Mihku said:
It reminds me of Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time reviews. It also got hammered because it was more of the same (even though it had a much bigger diversity in gameplay) and for some weird reason there was a lot of fuss about the graphics.

Really don't get those "negative" Motorstorm reviews. It's bigger, better and more pretty, yet that's not enough it seems. I guess some franchises get treated a lot more different then other.

Yeah, true. I guess this is what happens when reviewers a) don't play a game enough/intense enough and b) aren't able to connect to the game/franchise. Can't blame them, they are playing too many games, I guess. However, opinions like those are basically worthless.

EDUT:

Just won five online races in a row. ;D

BPK

BeeDog said:
I don't agree, the handling is much more forgiving than Pacific Rift (which I replayed directly after trying the MS3 demo). All vehicles are more grounded and stable regardless of the terrain. Case in point, drive a motorcycle and do some fenderbending with another vehicle. In MS3, you aren't destroyed immediately (like in PR). Also, bumping into smaller geometry won't activate moon physics here anymore.

My sentiments exactly.

Rhoxin

Banned
Thrakier said:
Just read this german review: http://www.gameswelt.de/articles/reviews/6984-MotorStorm_Apocalypse/index.html

71%, graphics 4 out of 8. They are basically saying that MS:A looks worse than PR and MS1, almost like a PS2 game from time to time, just some nice explosion and rain effects. I just don't get how any reviewer can state something like that. MS:A is clearly one of the prettiest games I played so far, the graphics are breathtaking sometimes. The framerate is rocksolid.

Is it me? Is there some kind of parallel world and they are playing a different motorstorm? I just don't see it, really. How can they say stuff like that. That's totally beyond me. They are showing off this awesome hurricane beachwalk course with all the stuff going on and the awesome lighting while stating "graphics are not good". What the hell, seriously.

Sure is ugly graphics in here....
Game reviews today are worth next to shit.

256xpit.jpg

5ankg2.jpg

The music in this game is awesome, i am so happy they got rid of all the rock music, most of it didn't fit in at all in PR.

glaurung

Thrakier said:
What kind of blinding weed have these guys been smoking?

The game looks gorgeous, plus it runs with an insane frame rate at 1080p - how many other modern games can claim that?

Unless the reviewer based his review on someone's 240p internet stream. Wouldn't be the first time either.

It is just criminally unjust to say that the game looks bad. Sure, there are other things to nitpick, if you are so inclined, but the graphics? Come on.

Sorry about the rant.

Did anyone else find the
Race out of the city as Tyler against that Muerte guy extremely hard? I kept crashing into every god damn thing, because everything kept collapsing and I couldn't see shit.
Took me about 7 attempts. I've been steamrolling most events before that.

Stackboy said:
Picked up the game in Australia, love it.

If anyone wants to play online, my PSN ID is StackboyRoyale.

Added!

Varth

BeeDog said:

While I stand by my position about the physics model in general, you're probably right about the bikes, as it was one of the major issues I had with the first two MS, while I found it to be not THAT much of a nuisance anymore in MS:A.

Thrakier

glaurung said:
What kind of blinding weed have these guys been smoking?

The game looks gorgeous, plus it runs with an insane frame rate at 1080p - how many other modern games can claim that?

Unless the reviewer based his review on someone's 240p internet stream. Wouldn't be the first time either.

It is just criminally unjust to say that the game looks bad. Sure, there are other things to nitpick, if you are so inclined, but the graphics? Come on.

Sorry about the rant.

Mhm. Whatever. I'm pretty sure that PR with the MS:A overhauled engine would look better than the current PR. At least the shadow flickering would be completly fixed.

Top Bottom