• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

BeeDog

I can't for the life of me find the final card on the first Skyline track. Does anyone have a hint on where to look for elusive cards in that stage?

ElRenoRaven

Thrakier said:
Just read this german review: http://www.gameswelt.de/articles/reviews/6984-MotorStorm_Apocalypse/index.html

71%, graphics 4 out of 8. They are basically saying that MS:A looks worse than PR and MS1, almost like a PS2 game from time to time, just some nice explosion and rain effects. I just don't get how any reviewer can state something like that. MS:A is clearly one of the prettiest games I played so far, the graphics are breathtaking sometimes. The framerate is rocksolid.

Is it me? Is there some kind of parallel world and they are playing a different motorstorm? I just don't see it, really. How can they say stuff like that. That's totally beyond me. They are showing off this awesome hurricane beachwalk course with all the stuff going on and the awesome lighting while stating "graphics are not good". What the hell, seriously.

That's a prime example of why I don't read reviews. Hell even the demo looks amazing. The reviewer obviously either didn't play the damn game like he said or just watched a video to judge it.

Zoibie

Suzzopher said:
I am so jealous of those who have this :(

Any idea on when Sony are planning a UK release? I see the American one in April is delayed so May? June?

Nope, nothing yet. I think the best place to go is either ebay or see if any of your local game shops are selling them early.

Ah well, back to the demo...

Rhoxin

Banned
mother_of_god.jpg

The race before the "Muerte" motion comic, which was awesome, great homage to death proof!!!

Simply amazing, the music track they chose for this, the suburban enviorment that turns slowly into HELL, omg this was amazing, this level alone was worth buying the game for.

This game is simply a blast, this was one of the most intense racing moments in my 22 years of gaming history.

HOLY FUCK!!!!!

Edit:

And now a homeage to terminator 2.
Oh boy i love this game!!!

Thrakier

Rhoxin said:
mother_of_god.jpg

The race before the "Muerte" motion comic, which was awesome, great homage to death proof!!!

Simply amazing, the music track they chose for this, the suburban enviorment that turns slowly into HELL, omg this was amazing, this level alone was worth buying the game for.

This game is simply a blast, this was one of the most intense racing moments in my 22 years of gaming history.

HOLY FUCK!!!!!

Edit:

And now a homeage to terminator 2.
Oh boy i love this game!!!

Uh? Care to elaborate? I didn't get those hommages.

Glad that you like it now after you hated on it first. ;)

see5harp

SolidusDave said:
I'm pretty sure there are mostly just two types of people on GAF, the ones that played MS:pR and think it's one of the best arcade off-road racers ever... and the ones who haven't played it (demo doesn't count for several reasons).

What a ridiculous statement. PR was a good racing game. It was not one of the best arcade off-road racers ever and it was not the worst either. I've never liked the presentation, the rubber banding, or the sense of speed in the series. I like it enough to check out the 3rd in the series though.

Udde

Thrakier said:
Is it me? Is there some kind of parallel world and they are playing a different motorstorm? I just don't see it, really.

I don't know, but in fact I live in a much better world since I don't care about reviews :) With the internet media, I can decide if a game is for me or if it is not. I guess that's because of my years of gaming experience :p

Rhoxin

Banned
Thrakier said:
Uh? Care to elaborate? I didn't get those hommages.

Glad that you like it now after you hated on it first. ;)

When Muerte drives in the desert in that camaro SS with the skull on the hood and a few races later when you drive in the flood channels and a big semi-trailer truck crashes through one of the bridge railings just like in terminator 2

quetz67

Banned
SolidusDave said:
I'm pretty sure there are mostly just two types of people on GAF, the ones that played MS:pR and think it's one of the best arcade off-road racers ever... and the ones who haven't played it (demo doesn't count for several reasons).
Or the ones who mastered it and the ones that still blame rubberbanding because they didnt.

Rhoxin

Banned
4th hard freeze.
They better patch this soon

Edit: make that 5. Jesus.
Edit: Make that 6....

Online is completely broken now.
Worked fine the other day.

Oh well.

as if we can do anything if they don't , pathetic.

Oppo

wait, this is out?!? *runs to store*

*runs back from store* i'm seeing some odd stuff on Canadian web sites, guess I should read the thread?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Rhoxin said:
4th hard freeze.

Oh well.

I hate how much I'm addicted to the online mode and how often you freeze while trying to connect. I wish a developer would come into this thread and explain what they're working on to solve it.

Goddamn, the hardcore missions really are hard :/ Why did they have to be time trials? I can't even do the first one, seems impossible to get 3 laps in under 2 minutes 48.

Thrakier

Bootaaay said:
Goddamn, the hardcore missions really are hard :/ Why did they have to be time trials? I can't even do the first one, seems impossible to get 3 laps in under 2 minutes 48.

Yeah, they are freaking hard. Probably time trials so that only pure racing skill matters. But if you see the best times, it seems like there is plenty of room for improvement...

@see5harp

I also think that PR is one of the best arcade racers ever made, next to Wipeout HD:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
see5harp said:
I've never liked the presentation, the rubber banding, or the sense of speed in the series.

1. Change to hood cam
2. ???
3. PROFIT!

Seriously, the sense of speed is pretty amazing from that view. I can't believe that anyone would voluntarily play from any other view in a MS game. Hood cam feels faster, more intense, and looks better. Plus I personally think it controls better from that view (since you don't get the camera "lag" when turning that you get with the 3rd person views).

And yeah, to me MSPR is the best arcade off-road racer ever. MSA might be even better, haven't decided yet.

Thrakier said:
Yeah, they are freaking hard. Probably time trials so that only pure racing skill matters. But if you see the best times, it seems like there is plenty of room for improvement...

But the "Hardcore Festival" isn't pure time trials, there are still AI racers on the tracks that fuck you up when you're trying to get a good time. So it's not just about pure racing skills, it's also about avoiding those assholes. There's a separate time trial mode which I'd guess is just you and the track (haven't tried it yet).

Zanosuke

Bootaaay said:

I just finished the campaign and spent like 40 minutes on that mission! My best time is currently 2 minutes and 50 seconds! (gaaah, so frekking close!)

Rhoxin said:
4th hard freeze.

Oh well.

as if we can do anything if they don't , pathetic.

I didn't have any crashes yesterday, but then again, I downloaded the 1.01 patch just before I played.

see5harp

Thrakier said:

@see5harp

I also think that PR is one of the best arcade racers ever made, next to Wipeout HD:

I think Wipeout HD is much better and as far as arcade offroad racers go, Dirt 2 seemed to be a better package overall to me. Maybe I should change to hood cam, I'll try that next time I play.

Rhoxin

Banned
see5harp said:
I think Wipeout HD is much better and as far as arcade offroad racers go, Dirt 2 seemed to be a better package overall to me. Maybe I should change to hood cam, I'll try that next time I play.

i second that.
Wipeout HD is one of the best arcade racers ever made.
Dirt 2 is a better over all ofroad package because the higher simulation value.
I still didn't try the G27 today on MSAP because i really doubt the fact of playing a MS game with a wheel, but i have to try it :)

Motorstorm is motorstorm, it's awesome and pretty uniqe but there are other great racing games that do some parts of what motorstorm does, better.

ps. i really miss the mud splatting everywhere, the deep mud wheel tracks and the sand.
It doesn't feel the same in MSAP.

quetz67

Banned
Wow, if you look past the loading times and stupid movies this is great again.

My worst fear of the tracks being to confusing didnt come true. There are lots of tracks where nothing collapses at all and that is fine. Only played day 1 yet but I had no problems finding my way. Night race was the only one that took me two tries to get 1st (damn those helis with their searchlights look fantastic).

Levels and vehicles play very diverse, like it should be, and game is INTENSE in 3D - didnt notice any ghosting on my plasma, but maybe there just isnt time to notice.

I loved Split/Second because of the constantly evolving tracks and the fact that no lap was the same. Is this game better or worse than Split/Second?

Rhoxin

Banned
quetz67 said:
Wow, if you look past the loading times and stupid movies this is great again.

My worst fear of the tracks being to confusing didnt come true. There are lots of tracks where nothing collapses at all and that is fine. Only played day 1 yet but I had no problems finding my way. Night race was the only one that took me two tries to get 1st (damn those helis with their searchlights look fantastic).

Levels and vehicles play very diverse, like it should be, and game is INTENSE in 3D - didnt notice any ghosting on my plasma, but maybe there just isnt time to notice.

The comics get better and more "serious" they were just teenage retarded in the begining.
I enjoyed the PRO scenes actually, and Veteran is also good so far.

Varth said:
While I stand by my position about the physics model in general, you're probably right about the bikes, as it was one of the major issues I had with the first two MS, while I found it to be not THAT much of a nuisance anymore in MS:A.

Yes, the bikes have been tweaked a little, are now easier to drive with motion controls. The rest though so far seems to be down to people who only played the demo and compared it to MotorStorm, even though the type of vehicles (race car and race bike I think) aren't actually in MS:pR, or just not being used to driving on tarmac with MotorStorm - the handling is definitely different, and every bit of grip and suspension and such is still in there. But I'm guessing that tarmac just doesn't make it as obvious to some (again, driving a lot of Gran Turismo, I'm probably more sensitive to tarmac handling).

Wonder if I'll finish Big Dog's campaign tonight, I think I'll have a go. ;)

I haven't played Split Second enough to be able to compare, but I think the variation in type of tracks, weather and vehicles are definitely in MotorStorm's favor and the physics are better too, imho (more precise collision detection), though I would have to play the retail version of Split Second a little more. In Split Second's favor is definitely being able to set off the disasters yourself. But then MotorStorm has 16 cars too ...

wouwie

I wonder if they tested the multiplayer at all before release. Tried two times and hard locked my ps3 two times when searching for players. At that time, the harddisk and drive keep being busy for eternity and beyond. They are probably searching for online players on my hd instead of the internet. Since they don't find any, the thing is stuck in an eternal loop. Judging by the official forum, i'm not the only one either.

Thrakier

Aklamarth said:
I'm sure it's worse than Split Second.

Pure was worse than MS:pR, MS:A is better than Split Second. Same reasons in both cases. Pure and S/S are "on rails experiences", they are not exciting, nothing out of the ordinary happens, it feels like...plastic somehow. Motorstorm is the exact opposite. It feels alive, organic and incalculable. The atmosphere and the GFX are much butter as well, imo. The lighting is far far ahead.

@see5sharp

You should definitly. It's almost like a complete different experience, especially the speed.
I didn't like Dirt 2 at all. Imo it couldn't decide if it wants to be a sim or an arcade game. Also the PS3 version hat framerate problems. Sorry, but no, imo Dirt 2 isn't even in the same league with Motorstorm. Wipeout HD though is nothing short than a masterpiece.

Rhoxin

Banned
Thrakier said:
Sorry, but no, imo Dirt 2 isn't even in the same league with Motorstorm. Wipeout HD though is nothing short than a masterpiece.

I play Dirt 2 on my 42" tv with my G27 , the game runs on my PC , dx11 80FPS , full graphics settings 1920X1200 and it looks AMAZING.
It plays amazing too, and the loading times are minimal and the online works amazing.

People just have to realise these consoles are old as hell by now.
I am getting Dirt 3 on PC and it's gonna be a blast.

I agree with you on dirt2 being in between simulation and arcade, but they actually got it right. It's so much fun with a wheel.

If they make a motorstorm with all the crazyness and amazing tracks but plays like Dirt 2 when it comes to the controls, i would go ape nuts.

After reading through the thread I think Split/Second might be going back. The latter races are so infuriating, I just can't handle the stress.

Is Pacific Rift still active online? I want to use that as a gauge to see how long this one will last.

Thrakier

canadian crowe said:
After reading through the thread I think Split/Second might be going back. The latter races are so infuriating, I just can't handle the stress.

Is Pacific Rift still active online? I want to use that as a gauge to see how long this one will last.

Hm, no idea about PR, but I still found races in MS1 a few days ago...

see5harp

Thrakier said:
Pure was worse than MS:pR, MS:A is better than Split Second. Same reasons in both cases. Pure and S/S are "on rails experiences", they are not exciting, nothing out of the ordinary happens, it feels like...plastic somehow. Motorstorm is the exact opposite. It feels alive, organic and incalculable. The atmosphere and the GFX are much butter as well, imo. The lighting is far far ahead.

@see5sharp

You should definitly. It's almost like a complete different experience, especially the speed.
I didn't like Dirt 2 at all. Imo it couldn't decide if it wants to be a sim or an arcade game. Also the PS3 version hat framerate problems. Sorry, but no, imo Dirt 2 isn't even in the same league with Motorstorm. Wipeout HD though is nothing short than a masterpiece.

I played Dirt 2 on 360 and it seemed to run a lot faster than MS. On PC, it's a showcase for DX11 tesselation. It is more of a simulation which I like. On the other hand I have no issue playing Wipeout HD and getting through some of the tougher races. MS has always just felt really loose to me in controls, consistency of graphics, rubberbanding etc. If the rubberbanding was less relentless I'd probably like the game more. It just seems like the only difference between the latter races and the early races is the degree of rubberbanding instead of actual driver skill. Never got into online which may have been more fun, but it seemed a bit barebones. "Not in the same league" is pretty far from the truth to me.

canadian crowe said:
I loved Split/Second because of the constantly evolving tracks and the fact that no lap was the same. Is this game better or worse than Split/Second?
I've only played demo of S/S, but if that's any indication of full game wuality, Apocalypse is a much better game.

Thrakier said:
Hm, no idea about PR, but I still found races in MS1 a few days ago...

That's pretty good. Each Motorstorm is so different than the previous one, they don't make each other obsolete.

Is there any more word on the rubber banding? I haven't seen many posts complaining about it yet. I guess not many people have the game yet.

Edit: I just bought a copy from Hong Kong. I think it's the AUS version because the currency was listed as Australian. Is the online region locked?

Thrakier

canadian crowe said:
That's pretty good. Each Motorstorm is so different than the previous one, they don't make each other obsolete.

Is there any more word on the rubber banding? I haven't seen many posts complaining about it yet. I guess not many people have the game yet.

Rubberbanding is definitly there. However I always had the feeling that then I made a perfect race I won it too. So I'm more or less just concentrating on my driving and my route.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thrakier said:
Rubberbanding is definitly there. However I always had the feeling that then I made a perfect race I won it too. So I'm more or less just concentrating on my driving and my route.

You pretty much win most races if you do a good last lap. It doesn't really matter if you crash one time or 20 times in the first few laps, you'll always catch up and have a chance to win. The same is true the other way around. Even if you race absolutely perfectly in the first few laps, you'll never get far enough ahead to win by a huge margin. A crash or two in the last lap can be enough for you to be left in the dust. So yeah, rubberbanding is very apparant (at least on Veteran difficulty).

Thrakier

RoadHazard said:
You pretty much win most races if you do a good last lap. It doesn't really matter if you crash one time or 20 times in the first few laps, you'll always catch up and have a chance to win. The same is true the other way around. Even if you race absolutely perfectly in the first few laps, you'll never get far ahead to win by a huge margin. A crash or two in the last lap can be enough for you to be left in the dust. So yeah, rubberbanding is very apparant (at least on Veteran difficulty).

True.

Rhoxin

Banned
canadian crowe said:
That's for the rubber banding info. Does anybody know if online is region locked? I have a Hong Kong version coming (probably Aus actually).

It was in MS, and my DLC didn't work either so i sold it and bought a local copy.

glaurung

Did they turn off MP to fuck with the people who got the game despite it being pulled?

Last night I tried to get into a multiplayer race.
  1. Press FIND GAME
  2. An error message is displayed that the server is not available. I should check my connection. Connection is working fine, PSN is logged on.
  3. Even though the server is down, the game continues with what seems to be matchmaking. A lot of HDD activity on the console.
  4. Cannot cancel out from the matchmaking.
  5. After a while, it cancels back out itself.
  6. Rinse and repeat 6 times.

I guess the MP frontend was not part of the QA process, you bums?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
see5harp said:
What a ridiculous statement. PR was a good racing game. It was not one of the best arcade off-road racers ever and it was not the worst either. I've never liked the presentation, the rubber banding, or the sense of speed in the series. I like it enough to check out the 3rd in the series though.

...so you're saying you fall into the second group then?

I f'ing love Motorstorm, best arcade racing series since San Francisco Rush! Also it's odd to me that people consider Wipeout an arcade racer - I guess I've always thought of futuristic racers in their own separate category. Dirt 2 was also badass, but it didn't feel fully arcade to me, and I segregate Rally racing into its own category as well.

Great vids, thanks! I finished the campaign, and it's great to be able to show some other people who haven't played this game (yet) why this is so awesome. ;)

I had the same issues with MP yesterday. I got into a room with close to 16 people, but the race just wouldn't start.

pixelbox

Mylene said:
finally got around to uploading a few videos today. just some casual runs trying to show various routes through each of the stages.

Skyline - Falling Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqgZIeETTE&hd=1

Boardwalk - Waves of Mutilation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Mx9f2f52M&hd=1

Mainline - End of the Line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq41fs3-YBE&hd=1

CTCES.jpg

Ok, so i have a couple questions:
1.Are those tracks in the game? If so then, damn...so good.
2.Could you please please please post those tracks in your next post?
3.And if those tracks are not apart of MS:A then what genre would that music fall under? Fuckin' love that kind of music...

Now OT, wow! Anyone who says that that is bad graphics or "near PS2" is a complete dick and or troll. There are universal truths in this plain of existance and the truth is this is an amazing, un-fuckin-believably exhilarating experience, and this is just by watching those three videos! I have both MotorStorms and this is a no-brainer. When does it hit the states?

BeeDog

pixelbox said:
Ok, so i have a couple questions:
1.Are those tracks in the game? If so then, damn...so good.
2.Could you please please please post those tracks in your next post?
3.And if those tracks are not apart of MS:A then what genre would that music fall under? Fuckin' love that kind of music...

Now OT, wow! Anyone who says that that is bad graphics or "near PS2" is a complete dick and or troll. There are universal truths in this plain of existance and the truth is this is an amazing, un-fuckin-believably exhilarating experience, and this is just by watching those three videos! I have both MotorStorms and this is a no-brainer. When does it hit the states?

No, those tracks aren't part of the soundtrack. The first is some drum 'n' bass track (my guess is Pendulum), the second one is a famous commercial house track whose name escapes me right now and the third one, no idea.

pixelbox

Come to think about it IMO, 1 of those levels has more dramatic set pieces than the entirety of UC2. I mean literally, you can take the cars out make it into a 1st/3rd person shooter and i'll be GOTY.

pixelbox

BeeDog said:
No, those tracks aren't part of the soundtrack. The first and last are drum 'n' bass tracks, the second one is a famous commercial house track whose name escapes me right now.
It's stero love, is was listed on the YOUTUBE page. And really with the drum 'n' bass? Sounds a bit trippy, is it a merging of two genres, like "trip-hop"?

Top Bottom