• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Orobi

pixelbox said:
Ok, so i have a couple questions:
1.Are those tracks in the game? If so then, damn...so good.
2.Could you please please please post those tracks in your next post?
3.And if those tracks are not apart of MS:A then what genre would that music fall under? Fuckin' love that kind of music...

Yup, those tracks are in game and every tracks is incredible for amount of changes that occurs among the laps. Amazing details, effects, sense of speed, drama... Intense.
Make more videos, but please, leave untouched the OST!!! :mad:

BeeDog

pixelbox said:
It's stero love, is was listed on the YOUTUBE page. And really with the drum 'n' bass? Sounds a bit trippy, is it a merging of two genres, like "trip-hop"?

Eh, I don't know the specifics of drum 'n' bass music history, but I think it's been around for as long as trip-hop, or even longer. It's not really a merger of genres per se, but more like a reaaaaally sped up breakbeat genre.

Search for "Pendulum", "Spor" and "Dieselboy" on Spotify, Grooveshark or similar. But the actual MS3 soundtrack is full of tracks from that genre, so you shouldn't need to search for your own music that much. :)

pixelbox

BeeDog said:
Eh, I don't know the specifics of drum 'n' bass music history, but I think it's been around for as long as trip-hop, or even longer. It's not really a merger of genres per se, but more like a reaaaaally sped up breakbeat genre.

Search for "Pendulum", "Spor" and "Dieselboy" on Spotify, Grooveshark or similar. But the actual MS3 soundtrack is full of tracks from that genre, so you shouldn't need to search for your own music that much. :)
Thanks a million.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Orobi said:
Yup, those tracks are in game and every tracks is incredible for amount of changes that occurs among the laps. Amazing details, effects, sense of speed, drama... Intense.
Make more videos, but please, leave untouched the OST!!! :mad:

He's asking about the music tracks. Obviously the race tracks are in the game. :p

btkadams

pixelbox said:
Ok, so i have a couple questions:
1.Are those tracks in the game? If so then, damn...so good.
2.Could you please please please post those tracks in your next post?
3.And if those tracks are not apart of MS:A then what genre would that music fall under? Fuckin' love that kind of music...

Now OT, wow! Anyone who says that that is bad graphics or "near PS2" is a complete dick and or troll. There are universal truths in this plain of existance and the truth is this is an amazing, un-fuckin-believably exhilarating experience, and this is just by watching those three videos! I have both MotorStorms and this is a no-brainer. When does it hit the states?
Noisia worked on the soundtrack. I'm not sure why that trash (IMO haha) accordian song is on there. Did Noisia just choose the music? I thought they were making songs for it lol. I guess it's more feasible that they chose the music.

The fast tempo one in the Skyline-FallingDown video is drum n bass (genre-wise). You should definitely check out Noisia if you can.

Also, can anyone confirm if you can turn off select songs in the soundtrack? Or would I have to skip songs when they came on? I seriously do not get why all games don't let you select/de-select songs in the music list. It was a feature in games like 10 years old now!

I'm really disappointed with the vehicle customization in this. Just dabbled with it for the first time today. You're stuck with three base models(two of which are still locked for me) and all you can change are small details like bumpers, windows, exhaust pipes and other stuff like that. I miss the huge variety that you had in Pacific Rift. In the Big Rig category alone you had 18 wheelers, milk trucks and school buses etc. So many different vehicles of different shapes and sizes. All unique. In this everything looks the same bar minor detail changes. It really sucks. They need to release more base models and lots of 'em.

Yeah, they need to fix this shit pronto. 90% of the unlocks in the game rely on the online aspect and I can barely get a game at the moment. Also, why is there no unranked racing any more?

I just met a guy online who's on rank 43. Fucking hell. He's winning every race by miles. Motherfucker is cheating somehow, I swear! Also, I'm sick to death of being spun out by cunts. It shouldn't be this easy to do. The smallest little tap and your race is over. It's annoying as hell.

Mylene said:
finally got around to uploading a few videos today. just some casual runs trying to show various routes through each of the stages.

Boardwalk - Waves of Mutilation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Mx9f2f52M&hd=1

this part is intense. love Motorstorm series
dxl2rs.jpg

Rhoxin

Banned
chalkitdown1 said:
I just met a guy online who's on rank 43. Fucking hell. He's winning every race by miles. Motherfucker is cheating somehow, I swear! Also, I'm sick to death of being spun out by cunts. It shouldn't be this easy to do. The smallest little tap and your race is over. It's annoying as hell.

People are stats padding with the gambling, cheating somehow also i think since at the start line some people are WAY faster than everyone else.

But about the Statspadding betting - FOR SURE. 4 french speaking guys entered my game and they all bet on the same guy who always lost the race, all 3 others win alot, then they switch.

Meh.

Also: Superbike acceleration is slower than other vehicles, what the fuck?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I had 4 people join all driving Big Rigs. What do they do? They drive bad as fuck and disrupt the race constantly knocking people off. This drives almost everyone in the lobby to pick Big Rigs. All of a sudden we have 12 Big Rigs. Hurray for diversity. And it does seem like some people are cheating. I had a person win by over a minute, noone else in the race could even finish and I didn't even wreck once.

Rhoxin

Banned
kinoki said:
I had 4 people join all driving Big Rigs. What do they do? They drive bad as fuck and disrupt the race constantly knocking people off. This drives almost everyone in the lobby to pick Big Rigs. All of a sudden we have 12 Big Rigs. Hurray for diversity. And it does seem like some people are cheating. I had a person win by over a minute, noone else in the race could even finish and I didn't even wreck once.

The MP is fun but something is fishy.
Shame also they made the game much more easier and made ALLLLL the different veichles very playable at the same way.
Choosing the right vehicle for the right track was a huge part of the game, now it doesn't matter. People win with whatever.

btkadams

Rhoxin said:
The MP is fun but something is fishy.
Shame also they made the game much more easier and made ALLLLL the different veichles very playable at the same way.
Choosing the right vehicle for the right track was a huge part of the game, now it doesn't matter. People win with whatever.
Motorstorm 1 was perfection in that regard. I found Pacific Rift made the classes a bit less meaningful. It's a shame the new one is far worse... :( i'm still excited for the game though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DF just confirmed that the game is running in 1280x1080p native with MLAA. Crazy. Could be the best IQ on a console for any 'big' game?

see5harp

Vilam said:
...so you're saying you fall into the second group then?

I f'ing love Motorstorm, best arcade racing series since San Francisco Rush! Also it's odd to me that people consider Wipeout an arcade racer - I guess I've always thought of futuristic racers in their own separate category. Dirt 2 was also badass, but it didn't feel fully arcade to me, and I segregate Rally racing into its own category as well.

So you are saying I only played the demo? Check my trophies bitch.

Mylene

haha thanks guys for the compliments and opinions even the bad ones lol!

I play all my games without music because I need to concentrate for online racing and also so I can hear the tires/boost limit. i added those songs randomly and knew the last couple wouldn't match the game that well but just did it anyways lol.

You guys are pretty good at figuring out the music! yah the first one is pendulum which I used since I already used two of their better songs for the other motorstorm apoc vids I had. Evolution had used one of pendulum's songs in the first motorstorm as the main menu song so I thought it was fitting I use one of their songs again.

The second song is stereo love and I added it because it's been on the radio here like a billion times recently and the feeling of the song sort of is like a contrast to what is happening on screen haha. I knew people would get going "wtf" when the music came on since everyone expects some sort of rock or fast paced song.

The last song is incredibly hard to find and pretty rare/strange. It's by an old group called Nordbeat. song gcalled "Enter My Train of Dreams." Used that song for the course since the theme of Mainline is the train/subway system ^^)

I guess I should make some more videos, will be recording some online races.

and that gif OMG! thank you for making that haha

btkadams

Mylene said:
haha thanks guys for the compliments and opinions even the bad ones lol!

I play all my games without music because I need to concentrate for online racing and also so I can hear the tires/boost limit. i added those songs randomly and knew the last couple wouldn't match the game that well but just did it anyways lol.

You guys are pretty good at figuring out the music! yah the first one is pendulum which I used since I already used two of their better songs for the other motorstorm apoc vids I had. Evolution had used one of pendulum's songs in the first motorstorm as the main menu song so I thought it was fitting I use one of their songs again.

The second song is stereo love and I added it because it's been on the radio here like a billion times recently and the feeling of the song sort of is like a contrast to what is happening on screen haha. I knew people would get going "wtf" when the music came on since everyone expects some sort of rock or fast paced song.

The last song is incredibly hard to find and pretty rare/strange. It's by an old group called Nordbeat. song gcalled "Enter My Train of Dreams." Used that song for the course since the theme of Mainline is the train/subway system ^^)

I guess I should make some more videos, will be recording some online races.

and that gif OMG! thank you for making that haha
wait!!! can you give me details of the actual soundtrack? does it list the songs in the menu? no offense, but i'm extremely happy that accordian song isn't in the game haha i've never enjoyed it.

I thought this was supposed to support 4 local players playing online? It seems to be only two. I tried to go online tonight with three of us but it would only register two players.

Mylene

btkadams said:
wait!!! can you give me details of the actual soundtrack? does it list the songs in the menu? no offense, but i'm extremely happy that accordian song isn't in the game haha i've never enjoyed it.

hehe none taken, if i was the developer i wouldn't use that song in the game as well lol.

hmm i don't think there is a list of the songs for the game online but there probably is a list in the game options, it also shows the song playing though when you pause the game.

wouwie

The AI cheating, rubberbanding and ramming is beyond believe in this game.

I just did a test on a rookie level. It was the bridge level (which is a cool track). I waited on the starting grid until i was doubled and then started to drive (position 16/16). At the end of the bridge (which is just a straight line), i was already in position 6/16 and overtook 0 riders. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Also, the cars practically ride themselves. Give gaz and let go and watch how the car doesn't even stop. I sure wish i could do that in real life as it would save me a lot of money.

This game is such a dissapointment. It was one of my most anticipated games this year. The online is completely broken and the single player is destroyed by shit AI and poor car handling.

It's a mere shadow of the greatness that was Pacific Rift. And another poor attempt to attract a bigger fan base (like some other Sony games).

pixelbox

Rhoxin said:
You really fucked up that one with that music track, ruined the whole feel of that amazing race track.

UGH, shivers and shakes of feel of disgust.

The other ones were ok ;)
I really did LOL there. I like the song, there are parts of the song that i can use. I compose techno music so i love hearing shit like this.

crispyben

As much as I enjoyed MS:pR, this game is seriously annoying. I've been stuck on the career mode's second part, thanks to a race in Upper Bohemia where I drive a Supermini that's just a toy in the path of the opponents. There are 4 laps to complete but the first 3 are useless, and the last one I always get rammed by the AI... Not happy!

And what's with the audio? Bad mixing (can barely hear the engine or the overheating warning on some tracks), horrible music (that's a matter of taste of course), abundant glitches (countdown scattered throughout the race, audio cutting out), this smells like a rushed release to me. Hopefully it can be patched...

...along with the online aspect of things, because I can't load up a single learderboard or connect to a single game. WTF Evolution/Sony? Are these guys even working on improving their product right now? Their Twitter is kinda worrying in that regard, no acknowledgement of the audio issues for instance.

quetz67

Banned
I love it...single player only and I dont even care about the other cars, it is me against the track...most visceral racing game ever in 3D...shit is it intense at times...graphics, just wow...lowres textures? aliasing?...whatever I have no time to look for that shit

wouwie

crispyben said:
As much as I enjoyed MS:pR, this game is seriously annoying. I've been stuck on the career mode's second part, thanks to a race in Upper Bohemia where I drive a Supermini that's just a toy in the path of the opponents. There are 4 laps to complete but the first 3 are useless, and the last one I always get rammed by the AI... Not happy!

And what's with the audio? Bad mixing (can barely hear the engine or the overheating warning on some tracks), horrible music (that's a matter of taste of course), abundant glitches (countdown scattered throughout the race, audio cutting out), this smells like a rushed release to me. Hopefully it can be patched...

...along with the online aspect of things, because I can't load up a single learderboard or connect to a single game. WTF Evolution/Sony? Are these guys even working on improving their product right now? Their Twitter is kinda worrying in that regard, no acknowledgement of the audio issues for instance.

I agree on all points. In fact, i think i'm stuck at the very same track with the mini. 4 laps and the first 3 have no importance whatsoever on the end result. Before that track, i mostly only needed one attempt. And suddenly there seems to a very strange difficulty spike. Also, AI is ramming you from all sides in that track. So fun... :(

It is obvious that this was a rush job. And there were signs. Beta two weeks before release. They didn't even know when the demo was going to be released until a couple of days before. And some features which they promoted before release were simply cut. Does anyone remember that we were going to be making our own race type games with some sort of script creator? No mention of that in the final release.

It seems Killzone 3 all over again judging by the impressions posted in that thread.

Anyway, i'm out of here. No use in complaining all the time.

The online will be fixed next week before the official release. Apparently the problem is a result of Sony not telling Evo about the recent firmware update and it's clashing with the game. New patch next week.

Barrett2

So the consensus is that this has the same insufferable AI rubber banding that plagued the previous games? Bummer. I really wanted to love both previous games, but the races felt so inauthentic because of the bizarre rubber banding.

I'll probably still get it, I'm excited about the 3D, IMO, 3D works really well in racers, but from the sounds of it, I shouldn't pay full price for this.

Thrakier

wouwie said:
The AI cheating, rubberbanding and ramming is beyond believe in this game.

It's not. I just finished the campaign without any problems. It's about the same as in PR and way less than in MS1. The rubberbanding is no comparison to MS1. Game was pretty easy. Too easy if you ask me.

Judging from the KZ3 thread you should concentrate on playing the game instead of complaining about games on meassage boards. And you definitly should get rid of your whine speeces and negative hyperbole, because that is seriously annoying. MS:A is an awesome game. It's not perfect, as KZ3 wasn't perfect. But it's still competent in so many ways and very enjoable. Just a suggestion, though.

Just finished the campaign and dominated some online races today. I'd say it's as good as PR, just very different. It's certainly more exciting. And it may sound strange, in the end I even cared about Big Dogs story. ;D Bring on the DLC, please!! Will play this game for a very long time.

Stackboy

I don't think the graphics in M:A are as good as they are in Pacific Rift, but that is simply because there is more going on, onscreen. I think it's completely forgivable, because it is just that much fun.

The Campaign is great, a nice challenge. Plus this is the first PS3 game that I have felt compelled to keep playing online.

wouwie

Thrakier said:
Judging from the KZ3 thread you should concentrate on playing the game instead of complaining about games on meassage boards. And you definitly should get rid of your whine speeces and negative hyperbole, because that is seriously annoying. MS:A is an awesome game. It's not perfect, as KZ3 wasn't perfect. But it's still competent in so many ways and very enjoyable. Just a suggestion, though.

It's about as annoying as your positive hyperbole (which has been ten times more frequent) and the way you are rejecting any other opinion that isn't in line with your own (not only mine, but those of game reviewers and other people you don't agree with). I've seen you doing the same in the Killzone 3 thread. Every person posting there was wrong when he didn't have the same opinion on the game as you.

You know, one day you should learn to accept that there are other opinions other than your own. It will help you. Just a suggestion, though.

You are free to post positive hyperbole as much as you want and i'm free to post what i want. If you look at my posts, you'll see that they are generally positive. Not that i should feel a reason to defend myself.

Last but not least, all of my negative points have been mentioned by other people aswell so there is a small possibility that they are in fact true... shock horror...

I can't believe i'm even engaging in this kind of conversation though.

Mylene

Stackboy said:
I don't think the graphics in M:A are as good as they are in Pacific Rift, but that is simply because there is more going on, onscreen.

yep i have to completely agree with this, if you play some of the older MS you'll see that the stages are mostly static. but now there are tons of debris littering the ground, groups of ppl running around throwing molotov cocktails at you, fighter jets flying over head launching missiles at you, tornadoes in background, etc... just so much more insane that I can forgive the slightly lower graphic quality for much more complexity and over all graphic experience.

Just uploaded new video with my custom big rig with all unlocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn8hYQW-FCg&hd=1

Good example here of that AI truck taking revenge on you for taking him out. I thought I noticed that being in the game, but now it's clear as day.

As for Motorstorm 2, I think above all it is just more aesthetically pleasing to drive on Hawaii than to drive in San Francisco or wherever Apocalypse is. A good example of this is that in that game, the rocky background aren't that graphically interesting either compared to the jungle bits, even in the tracks that contain both of them. Generally, aesthetically speaking MS2 does look more pleasing most of the time, but as said, Motorstorm 3 draws you into the environment much more, and is a more thrilling ride with lots of crazy stuff happening. In the Twister level seeing all those planks and debris flying through the air correctly lighted and self-shadowed (at least that's the impression I got) is just amazing especially with everything else going on.

But MS2 is great - this is one of my favorite tracks, and looks great at any of the four times of day you can drive it in, and just look at how dynamic the god-rays are through the trees, everything is just insanely beautiful. This is such an undervalued game imho, especially graphically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6zVH99rsRk&feature=related

Mesijs

The special events that you unlock after winning career races and that you mist finish within a certain time are EXTREMELY hard. Even crashing 0 times and driving a good race is not enough... And because routes and suff don't really matter and it's a lot of driving straight, it's just about timing boost... quite irritating.

Mesijs said:
The special events that you unlock after winning career races and that you mist finish within a certain time are EXTREMELY hard. Even crashing 0 times and driving a good race is not enough... And because routes and suff don't really matter and it's a lot of driving straight, it's just about timing boost... quite irritating.

Yes, boost is important, though routes matter a lot too, more than you think, including having jumps in them so your boost can cool. And if there are straights, that means that is a place where you have to use all of your boost at once.

Top Bottom