• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

crispyben

Shearie said:
I'll send you an invite next time I turn on my ps3 since I'm gonna get this game whenever it comes out in America but I'm pretty sure I use to have you on my friends list but I guess you deleted me, probably because I never actually played any Uncharted 2 with you when I said I would :)
I might have done some extreme pruning to my FL because I didn't recognize most names, but please do :)

Zabojnik

Is Apocalypse running at 30 or 60 fps? I'm playing it on my capture card atm and Fraps says 60, but it really feels more like rock solid 30 fps to me. I don't care either way, but I'm curious.

Zabojnik

chalkitdown1 said:
Don't all 3D games have to run at 60 because of the 3D halving it for the effect?

Or something.

I guess, but you could have a game running at, say, 40fps in 2D and then lower the resolution and the overall image quality in order to achieve the 60 fps required for the 3D. At least that's how I understand it.

nib95

Banned
Ok started the game last night...quick run down.

+ Amazing visuals
+ Great particle effects and general destruction insanity
+ Vehicles all feel unique and responsive
+ Sound effects are great
+ Soundtrack is good
+ Nice layouts and variety within some of the track themselves
+ Quite intense with nail biting moments and a major rush
+ Jaw dropping sense of scale
+ Great weather effects

- Dreadful detached childish unnecessary cutscenes
- Horrendous load times
- Too much camera movement and pull, confuses when braking etc
- Levels are often TOO messy and crazy
- Often less of a racing game, more try to figure out where you're going and not get hit
- No character creation or vehicle choice/upgrade etc
- Same shite overly dramatic track at load screens
- Not enough variety in racing. Too hectic. Wheres the relaxed tracks?
- Not enough variety in locales. Want entire forest, jungle or mountain tracks, not just spots.
- New takedown functionality is poorly realised
- Gameplay less polished than previous Motorstorm

I'll agree with you about the camera issues, that is so fucking annoying. That hairpin on the golden gate bridge is impossible to take correctly because the camera goes mental. You have to go into first person view to do it right. Otherwise you end up oversteering and driving into the wall. It's really disorientating. There are another few corners in the game where it does it, too.

Thrakier

chalkitdown1 said:
I'll agree with you about the camera issues, that is so fucking annoying. That hairpin on the golden gate bridge is impossible to take correctly because the camera goes mental. You have to go into first person view to do it right. Otherwise you end up oversteering and driving into the wall. It's really disorientating. There are another few corners in the game where it does it, too.

You shall play in 1st person view ALL THE TIME. That's what you get when you don't!

nib95 said:
- Often less of a racing game, more try to figure out where you're going and not get hit

- Not enough variety in racing. Too hectic. Wheres the relaxed tracks?
- Not enough variety in locales. Want entire forest, jungle or mountain tracks, not just spots.

- New takedown functionality is poorly realised
- Gameplay less polished than previous Motorstorm

First two points: That'll be relative pretty soon when you start knowing the layouts. Just play more.

There are also more relaxed tracks. Especially in the last bit of the campaign when most of the destruction already "happened", it's 100% racing action. There are some tracks on the docks which are pretty "relaxed".

The variety thing...yeah. I mean, that's always the decision. In MS1 they had a consistent design, in MS2 they just put in everything they got, in MS3 they are going for the consistent layout again. So it's mostly grey, urbanish. It would be kinda strange to have a jungle or mountain track in a city.

Last two points: I don't think that it's supposed to be as strong as in Burnout games. It's just a bit ramming, no "takedown functionality". The last point I don't see. It's imo as good as MS2, both are way better than MS1.

Playing in first person view is out of the question in multiplayer. I need to see who's around me at all times. I feel too vulnerable when I can't see who's near me, especially when you're playing against a bunch of aggressive assholes.

Thrakier

chalkitdown1 said:
Playing in first person view is out of the question in multiplayer. I need to see who's around me at all times. I feel too vulnerable when I can't see who's near me, especially when you're playing against a bunch of aggressive assholes.

You can still look behind you. Also, even if you know they are there, they'll get you anyway if they really want too. (I think agressiveness is a part of Motorstorm anyway)

Mafro

chalkitdown1 said:
Yeah I know what you mean.

Started this earlier today and have finished the Rookie mode and am coming in on the end of the Pro mode. Really enjoying it so far! Looks absolutely gorgeous and, while it gets a bit frustrating the same way the older Motorstorm games did when you keep crashing/getting shunted, the sheer insanity and amount of stuff going on in most of the races, especially the later ones, makes up for it.

Tried online quickly and it's a lot of fun. Hopefully going to spend a bit more time in MP, unlocking things and so on.

The game is pretty great so far. I also just finished Rookie mode and it was pretty fun, although the cut scenes are awful.

The game feels nothing like previous Motorstorms though,which I like, because I wasn't a huge fan of the others.

Online is a blast, and the wager system is pretty fun.

Just got this, wow its damn sweet the lighting is right up there with the best lighting on consoles. Love the racing, the online is fast and smooth and with a cool betting system.

Just finished the last race on Veteran. What a fantastic game! A little short if you're not going for all the cards, but every race feels special and intense, especially the later Veteran ones.

The story mode is different, but after playing the previous 3 Motorstorm games, it's nice to have something that feels fresh and new.

Hopefully this thread will get busier when the game comes out in the US but for now, this feels like it's going to be one of the most overlooked games released this year.

Decado

chalkitdown1 said:
Do you think that or anything else will get patched?

Rhoxin

Banned
After 2 weeks of playing this game i just have to say that a superbike winning over a motocross running on mud and wet sand and water is ape shit retarded.

They dumbed down the vehicle classes so bad here it really doesn't matter what you choose to drive, the only difference is:

- Big rigs / monster trucks are good for aggressiveness
- Bikes are good if you can't drive and crash into alot of shit, the bikes just bounce off everything
-the rest is in between.

THEY ALL DRIVE at random speeds and the terrain doesn't affect the driving at all.

Just pick the vehicle that fits your control style most and stick to that.

It's a shame this game was dumbed down so hard.

YES, it is fun, but this isn't really motorstorm.

MMaRsu

Rhoxin said:
After 2 weeks of playing this game i just have to say that a superbike winning over a motocross running on mud and wet sand and water is ape shit retarded.

They dumbed down the vehicle classes so bad here it really doesn't matter what you choose to drive, the only difference is:

- Bikes are good if you can't drive and crash into alot of shit, the bikes just bounce off everything
-the rest is in between.

THEY ALL DRIVE at random speeds and the terrain doesn't affect the driving at all.

Haha man sucks to hear that :\

test_account

XP-39C²
leng jai said:
Some pretty severe volume imbalances. Engine sounds are weak and close to non-existant while the "catastrophic" events are extremely loud even when far off in the distance. Landing from high falls/jumps also has barely any audio.
Ok, i see. I havnt noticed that myself, but i only use TV speakers (i dont have too loud volume either) and i havnt payed much attention to it.

nib95 said:
I used to be like this at first, but now i have played much online and now i know the tracks layout much better :) Once you know this, it should be easier. This was actually one of my problems with MS1 and MS2, i kept crashing too much because i didnt know the layout of tracks that well.

Thrakier said:
You shall play in 1st person view ALL THE TIME. That's what you get when you don't!
I play in 3rd person view all the time and i'm fine with that :) I actually have more problems in 1st person view hehe, but that might be something that i have to get used to.

Thrakier

Rhoxin said:

-the rest is in between.

The terrain affects the driving, it's just that you are on tarmac 90% of the time. You are right though with the rest. Especially with rally cars, supercars, minis etc. it's hard to tell where is pro and contra. It's just that the handling is a bit different. Depending on the track it's still a huge difference if you take a monstertruck or a bike, the both extreme ends, but in between, it doesn't really matter.

@test_account

Game is much more immersive in 1st person view. Huge differen.ce

test_account

XP-39C²
How do you get the "Variety is the Spice of Life" trophy? I have completed every race type possible, but still it says that i have only done 2 out of 3 races. What am i missing?

Thrakier said:
@test_account

That is true, but i think it is easier in 3rd person view since then i can see more of what comes ahead in the track :)

Mylene

Rhoxin said:

You must be referring to the boardwalk stages where there is a section along the beach. Yes during that section the dirtbike WITHOUT boost has a faster cruising speed. However, for that section people are pretty much boosting 80% of the time because they are going through the water to cool down their engines faster. When you are boosting the terrain doesn't affect your speed as much. even if you are not referring to this course and to the "good herb" course which has a couple of variations that run along a beach section, that course still has 70% of it being on hard surfaces with some very sharp U-turns that the super bike excels at.

The superbike has a higher top speed than the dirt bike as well as much faster cornering/drifting ability. That is why the superbike is faster. You also need to factor in the various combinations of perks people can use which you have no idea what they are using. One of these perks could be the "swimming" perk where when they are moving through the low tide in the beach section, they actually go through it at a much faster rate.

Rhoxin said:

It definitely matters which vehicle you choose for the particular course, that choice probably has the most affect on your chances of winning. you have to factor in the complexity of the course as well as the room for error and how dangerous it is. Even the number of opponents has a large weight on your vehicle choice.

I can't explain about monster trucks because i barely use them but the purpose of big rigs are for stability from other vehicle types, or rather their inability to push you around. That I believe is a better reason to use the big rig than to wreck other people. It's very important to not crash or be pushed around at the start of the race, probably has the most significant contribution to your chances of winning or placing top 3.

the other great benefit of the big rig is their top speed and ability to boost longer. also their traction is not affected much by the type of terrain, whether you are moving through mud, dirt, water or asphalt.

Rhoxin said:

The bikes definitely are good if you are skilled and can avoid/dodge other drivers as well as knowing the exact routes to take. also understand that the three bikes actually vary quite a bit in terms of performance. in short, super bikes corner the best, choppers can push other bikes better and have higher top speed, dirt bikes are affected less by rough terrain and I believe accelerate and take jumps better, they also corner well but suffer from top speed.

Rhoxin said:
-the rest is in between.

i would not say in between but rather just various strengths balanced out by weaknesses. It all just really depends on your driving style and what kind of driving strategy and risks you're willing to take.

Rhoxin said:

the speeds they all drive in may appear to be random to you but it is definitely not. it depends on the players skill, familiarity with the courses and most importantly the perks they equipped. Terrain definitely affects the driving, this is motorstorm.

MMaRsu

the speeds they all drive in may appear to be random to you but it is definitely not. it depends on the players skill, familiarity with the courses and most importantly the perks they equipped. Terrain definitely affects the driving, this is motorstorm.

But in single player there are no perks.

I think he's talking about single player, not multi. I never even touched multi on Pacific Rift, now I'm not gonna be able to use multi if I do pick this up but still.

Single player / couch multi is more important to me. And if it's true that all vehicles basically are the same aside from the visual and where in the track you can go if you pick let's say a bike instead of a monstertruck.

test_account

XP-39C²
MMaRsu said:
Single player / couch multi is more important to me. And if it's true that all vehicles basically are the same aside from the visual and where in the track you can go if you pick let's say a bike instead of a monstertruck.
The handling of the vechiles is definitely different. For the last 50-60 races i have had online i have only used bikes and i got used to that. Today i tried to use a super mini and i crashed a lot because the turns are much wider.

Anyone find that the vehicles race start acceleration when playing online seems to be completely random? I play as a Big Rig mostly and sometimes I start like a rocket but other times like a train. I can't really explain it. Seems to be the same for other vehicles I've tried too. Is there a quick start trick that I don't know about which I might be doing by accident?

OSHAN

I received my copy last night and I'm loving the game, but I have a question for those that have had it for some time.

During the campaign, there's a cutscene where RC cars are being raced around; some chick says some shit, then kicks one of the cars, and the audio cuts out for the remainder of the scene, but the characters are most definitely talking.

Is this the "there goes Tokyo" scene?

These are, without question, the worst load times I've ever encountered. They're so bad they're actively affecting my enjoyment (as there is no such thing as a quick race). Game is fun, but not fun enough to sit through them, I have to say.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Played through rookie and up to the end of pro in singleplayer. The demo definitely has one of the worst tracks and two of the worst vehicles in the game.
All the other vehicles in the full game handle great and some of the tracks are just wow! :eek:

Photo mode rocks too!
DOCKLANDS%20-%20%27Dock%20of%20the%20Bay%27.jpg

UPPER%20BOHEMIA%20-%20%27Welcome%20to%20the%20Neighbourhood%27.jpg

EPILOGUE%20-%20%27Exodus%27.jpg

GOOD%20HERB%20-%20%27Buena%20Vista%27.jpg

BOARDWALK%20-%20%27Waves%20of%20Mutilation%27.jpg

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
whatevermort said:
These are, without question, the worst load times I've ever encountered. They're so bad they're actively affecting my enjoyment (as there is no such thing as a quick race). Game is fun, but not fun enough to sit through them, I have to say.
Worse than the original Motorstorm? There were times it would take over a minute to load.

MadOdorMachine said:
Worse than the original Motorstorm? There were times it would take over a minute to load.

Yup. If you include the cutscenes loading (and then pressing SKIP as soon as you can), along with the load screens either side of said cut-scene, it's over a minute. In quick race, it's about a minute as well - it certainly feels worse than the original, and definitely worse than PD.

satriales

whatevermort said:
Yup. If you include the cutscenes loading (and then pressing SKIP as soon as you can), along with the load screens either side of said cut-scene, it's over a minute. In quick race, it's about a minute as well - it certainly feels worse than the original, and definitely worse than PD.
I thought the loading in single player was about average, didn't bother me much. However, multiplayer takes forever between races due to all of the waiting around in lobbies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why is this rated 16 in the UK? Was hoping my son could play but he's only 9. Whats differen compared to the first two (which he's played) to justify such a high rating? Seems silly to restrict the audience like that..

Also, does it support 3D in split screen mode?

Thrakier

Is there any kind of guide?

I'd love to now:

- best lines on the various tracks, specific to vehicles
- best vehicles for the tracks
- collector cards

mrklaw said:
Why is this rated 16 in the UK? Was hoping my son could play but he's only 9. Whats differen compared to the first two (which he's played) to justify such a high rating? Seems silly to restrict the audience like that..

Also, does it support 3D in split screen mode?
Don't remember there being swearing in the cutscenes, but you can now run over pedestrians in the races: I'm pretty sure that'll be what bumped the rating up.

whatevermort said:
Don't remember there being swearing in the cutscenes, but you can now run over pedestrians in the races: I'm pretty sure that'll be what bumped the rating up.

Yeah, it's just the pedestrian stuff. They have guns and rocket launchers and shoot at you. There's no blood or gore, though. You can't kill them, and when you run over them they lie on the ground hilariously rocking back and forth. Sometimes they hang on to your car flapping in the wind when you hit them It's all very silly. There's also violence like tanks, helicopters & planes etc shooting at each other and crashing. I think they say 'shit' a few times in the cut-scenes throughout the festival too.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Thrakier said:
Is there any kind of guide?

I'd love to now:

- best lines on the various tracks, specific to vehicles
- best vehicles for the tracks
- collector cards

I found this guide to the card collectathon. Done with ~60% of them and I find it gets more tedious by the hour I'm pushing myself to this.

As for best lines and best vehicles I think all you need to do is race and you notice what paths to take. You need to figure out what courses you can drive safely while at the same time not picking a detour. I have my go-to vehicles for certain levels and I usually end up in the top 3. Just figure out what you like to drive and what you feel comfortable with.

Thrakier

kinoki said:
I found this guide to the card collectathon. Done with ~60% of them and I find it gets more tedious by the hour I'm pushing myself to this.

As for best lines and best vehicles I think all you need to do is race and you notice what paths to take. You need to figure out what courses you can drive safely while at the same time not picking a detour. I have my go-to vehicles for certain levels and I usually end up in the top 3. Just figure out what you like to drive and what you feel comfortable with.

Problem is, besides the handling, I really don't know how to notice a difference in which car is better for which track...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Thrakier said:
Problem is, besides the handling, I really don't know how to notice a difference in which car is better for which track...

At the moment it feels like any car can win any course. It's the driver that matters more, and that's balance. (Atleast if you believe Blizzard's philosophy.) Another factor in picking your vehicle is what everyone else picks. Picking Super Bike in a 10 man race where the 9 others picked Monster Trucks and Big Rigs might sound fun on pape... wait, it doesn't and it wasn't... I was demolished in my first lap and finished 7th.

Another thing that's important is picking a vehicle that's suitable for the lap you like to run. For Skyline I pick light vehicles so that I can do the high track and for Boardwalk I'll pick something heavy so I can use the water better. For the city-levels I pick cars, usually race cars or muscle. But that's how I play and it's all depending on what medals I'm working towards and what vehicles the other racers pick.

crispyben

test_account said:
How do you get the "Variety is the Spice of Life" trophy? I have completed every race type possible, but still it says that i have only done 2 out of 3 races. What am i missing?
There's another game mode available in Wreckreation.

It seems online as a whole has gone to shit again, I was unable to meet up with everlong416, track vote almost never shows up, I get random disconnects before, during and after races which makes it useless to use the wager system to rank up faster... I just got the level 15 trophy, but 30 and 40 seem too far away in these circumstances!

BPK

Thrakier said:
The terrain affects the driving, it's just that you are on tarmac 90% of the time. You are right though with the rest. Especially with rally cars, supercars, minis etc. it's hard to tell where is pro and contra. It's just that the handling is a bit different. Depending on the track it's still a huge difference if you take a monstertruck or a bike, the both extreme ends, but in between, it doesn't really matter.

@test_account

For me, this will be the biggest adjustment when I get the game. I'm used to having my Motorstorms in canyons or in the jungle. It's weird to play a game in the series where you're driving on road so much. I can't help but feel that in reducing the differences between various vehicles, and in making the handling noticeably easier, the game has lost some of its charm.

Still, I'm pleased with the positive impressions so far. Evolution is a quality dev, and I'll be there Day 1.

Top Bottom