• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Thrakier

wouwie said:
It's about as annoying as your positive hyperbole (which has been ten times more frequent)

I'd say it's about the same. ;) Difference is, I'm engaging people to have fun.

and the way you are rejecting any other opinion that isn't in line with your own (not only mine, but those of game reviewers and other people you don't agree with). I've seen you doing the same in the Killzone 3 thread. Every person posting there was wrong when he didn't have the same opinion on the game as you.

Nah, that's just not true. I'm just putting things into perspective.

Also, some of those game reviews are hilarious. A 4/8 in GFX definitly is hilarious, there is no discussing that.

Last but not least, all of my negative points have been mentioned by other people aswell so there is a small possibility that they are in fact true... shock horror...

Yes, they are true, at least for you. I never denied that. Like I said, I just put them into perspective. You behave like someone who has been personally hit by Sony because the game isn't like you wanted it to be.

Thrakier

Maastricht said:
Yes, boost is important, though routes matter a lot too, more than you think, including having jumps in them so your boost can cool. And if there are straights, that means that is a place where you have to use all of your boost at once.

Did you win one? I don't know if I should even try...they seem to be very frustrating.

EDIT:

Did anyone else notice that the cards collection is kinda bugged? I had one high up in the air where I couldn't reach it. Later I found it on a different position on the ground...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Callibretto said:
this part is intense. love Motorstorm series
dxl2rs.jpg

That's *exactly* the gif I wanted to make myself.

Thrakier said:
Did you win one? I don't know if I should even try...they seem to be very frustrating.

EDIT:

Did anyone else notice that the cards collection is kinda bugged? I had one high up in the air where I couldn't reach it. Later I found it on a different position on the ground...

I only tried one yet (the bridge one), was about 10 seconds short, which over 3 laps (with the first one having several crashes) seems eminently doable ...

Arucardo

Just got this today, really enjoying it so far. I finished the Rookie races and a few more after that. Connected my ps3 to see how online is and there's a 207MB patch to download :| , couldn't find a change log for it either.

Mylene

Spent a couple hours today making videos of the Prologue, Epilogue and Finale races for the the three characters in festival mode.

The most difficult was trying to get a clean run with the Veteran on the last two races. That helicopter shooting and chasing me throughout the entire race was a huge pain. The stages are not difficult to clear, but very difficult if you want to do so without crashing/overheating. It's not so much the players fault but rather, as the helicopter is shooting at you, your vehicle will overheat very quickly and explode. You can't drive slow either, else too many bullets and missiles will hit and raise the boost temp too fast. But if you boost too close to critical to get away from the attacks, then all it takes is a couple of stray shots to cause you to detonate as well. Oh and landing that first stunt launching off the crater from the missile impact also took forever lol.

Compared to the veteran races, the rookie and pro finales were very easy.

Rookie: Mash's Prologue / Exodus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yApgkWzHSf0&hd=1

Pro Finale:Duel with Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHq1IaXPoKo&hd=1

Veteran Finale:Final Drive / Exit Strategy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy4ZTVmguzc&hd=1

btkadams said:
how many different tracks are there? i think i'm going to stop looking at footage because i've seen 3 tracks.

33. 40 if you include the story prologue and epilogue tracks but they aren't really tracks just short point a to b sequences.

Anyone spot the button sequence in the end credits? It's mentioned on the 4th or 5th screen I think, under a developers name and it says to input this..

Square, circle, left, right, up, left, x, up, right, x

...on the main menu screen. I tried it and it didn't seem to do anything except freeze my game. lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
chalkitdown1 said:
33. 40 if you include the story prologue and epilogue tracks but they aren't really tracks just short point a to b sequences.

Those 33 tracks are different variations on nine different "themes", though. There are not 33 completely unique tracks. However, because of some pretty major differences (track layout, incidents occuring and altering the environments), the different variations end up feeling quite different from each other.

Thrakier

One thing I didn't like that much was that on the last story chapter the destruction really was toned down. It makes sense I guess because of the story (everything happened already) but it was less intenste than chapter 2, imo. Racing was still fun though and the planecrash was amazing.

@mylene

I think you should spoilter that.

btkadams

chalkitdown1 said:

Anyone spot the button sequence in the end credits? It's mentioned on the 4th or 5th screen I think, under a developers name and it says to input this..

Square, circle, left, right, up, left, x, up, right, x

...on the main menu screen. I tried it and it didn't seem to do anything except freeze my game. lol
RoadHazard said:
Those 33 tracks are different variations on nine different "themes", though. There are not 33 completely unique tracks. However, because of some pretty major differences (track layout, incidents occuring and altering the environments), the different variations end up feeling quite different from each other.
wow, that's pretty awesome!

quetz67

Banned
btw. takes nearly 8 minutes of loading til you start the first race, that beyond ridicolous.

played the 3rd day, which was the first one a little more challening. Found it to be the opposite of rubberbanding, had to gain positions through 3 laps and never was overtaken by many cars at a time or vice versa.

and, yeah, the variations of the tracks are fantastic, weather and ligthing alone make a huge difference.

Thrakier

quetz67 said:
btw. takes nearly 8 minutes of loading til you start the first race, that beyond ridicolous.

played the 3rd day, which was the first one a little more challening. Found it to be the opposite of rubberbanding, had to gain positions through 3 laps and never was overtaken by many cars at a time or vice versa.

and, yeah, the variations of the tracks are fantastic, weather and ligthing alone make a huge difference.

Really, 8 minutes? Never seemed that long to me. I'm pretty sure it wasn't that long. I'd reset the console after 2 minutes, I guess.

Man, getting those cards is really really hard. Sometimes I see them and don't know how to get there. Is there a guide or something?

quetz67 said:

Do you have an original launch unit or something like that? I know there are some PS3s with slow drives out there but ... or are you just sitting through all the animations or something? Time-to-drive can't be much more than a minute otherwise ...

Thrakier

I just lost 10k chips because I lost a bet vs. a lvl1 player...fuck! If the chips are in the bonus, how do I get those? I didn't press square after the race, but still, I didn't get the money...aka it wasn't empty after the next bet.

Got all of the single player trophies today bar the card collectathon one. Not sure if I can be bothered with that one. I dunno, I'll see. The online trophies are gonna take forever to get but I shall persevere with them. I'll probably just get them naturally by just playing the game, anyway. No extra effort required. Single player trophies were much easier than those in Pacific Rift. There were no win all races or beat all the developers times this time. Those took bloody forever in PR. No developer times at all in this actually. Shame really. I enjoyed beating them however having to beat every single track with every single vehicle just to get the trophy was taking the piss. But following the ghost gave you a good idea of the fastest route around the track and it's a pity they dropped the feature.

They need to get the leaderboards up and running. Online was completely borked tonight, too. Couldn't even get into a lobby.

Apocalypse single player is definitely better in my opinion but it's difficult to call on the multiplayer side of things until they get the damn thing working properly. They still have to patch in the game creator mode too which should hopeful be amazing.

Thrakier

chalkitdown1 said:
Got all of the single player trophies today bar the card collectathon one. Not sure if I can be bothered with that one. I dunno, I'll see. The online trophies are gonna take forever to get but I shall persevere with them. I'll probably just get them naturally by just playing the game, anyway. No extra effort required. Single player trophies were much easier than those in Pacific Rift. There were no win all races or beat all the developers times this time. Those took bloody forever in PR. No developer times at all in this actually. Shame really. I enjoyed beating them however having to beat every single track with every single vehicle just to get the trophy was taking the piss. But following the ghost gave you a good idea of the fastest route around the track and it's a pity they dropped the feature.

They need to get the leaderboards up and running. Online was completely borked tonight, too. Couldn't even get into a lobby.

You beat the HC events!???

God no. And I Doubt I ever will. To get the trophies you have to complete 25 special events which can be either the hardcore races or the time trials. You just have to complete them not win anything, ie: simply set a lap time on 25 tracks and the trophy is yours.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is fucking ridiculous. Still haven't been able to find it in any of my local stores.

MMaRsu

chalkitdown1 said:
Apocalypse single player is definitely better in my opinion but it's difficult to call on the multiplayer side of things until they get the damn thing working properly. They still have to patch in the game creator mode too which should hopeful be amazing.

What is the game creator mode?

It let's you create any kind of game mode and tinker with pretty much any aspect of a race. Or something. It's been a long time since I read about it but it sounded pretty awesome. They took it out at the last minute because it wasn't user friendly enough. Hopefully it will be added soon.

Anyway, bit quiet in here today. I'm slowly working my way towards getting all the hidden cards. Got all the rookie ones today and made a start on the pro ones. Some of them were pretty hard to find but it wasn't too difficult.

Afrikan

我很高兴!!!!!!!

I just picked up my Motorstorm 3 from FedEx.

I couldn't take the chance of this game getting censored by the time it released here in the states.... the day it shipped was also the day SCEE announced the March 31 release date...which probably means the April one for U.S. will stick >_<

o'well, about to find out if online is region specific...hope not. :)

edit- damnit, 200mb patch, *sigh*

Afrikan said:
&#25105;&#24456;&#39640;&#20852;!!!!!!!

I just picked up my Motorstorm 3 from FedEx.

I couldn't take the chance of this game getting censored by the time it released here in the states.... the day it shipped was also the day SCEE announced the March 31 release date...which probably means the April one for U.S. will stick >_<

o'well, about to find out if online is region specific...hope not. :)
Please report back about the online. Mine is
Coming from Hong Kong too.

Afrikan

canadian crowe said:
Please report back about the online. Mine is
Coming from Hong Kong too.

I can't get into an online game cause of this weird Matchmaking BS...but it seems like it is not region specific. Everyone they are trying to match me up with has English names like Solja somethin...or Gunned_Down...etc.

edit- why is there a need to be 16 human players before a match starts...can't it just be like 12 or what ever and that would be enough...should be some type of time limit, imo.

Afrikan said:
I can't get into an online game cause of this weird Matchmaking BS...but it seems like it is not region specific. Everyone they are trying to match me up with has English names like Solja somethin...or Gunned_Down...etc.

edit- why is there a need to be 16 human players before a match starts...can't it just be like 12 or what ever and that would be enough...should be some type of time limit, imo.
Thanks. I heard the match making is borked anyways, so hopefully it will be straightened out when it gets released officially in a couple weeks.

littleornothin

Neo Member
Afrikan said:

Dont't think it needs to be 16. I've done races with 8 people. Probably it's just that the whole thing is borked right now so the race won't even start, whatever the playercount.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
What I like most about the online is that it doesn't ask you to finish first. All it asks you is to not finish last and to figure out who you can beat. That's all you need to gain ranks fast. It's so simple that you can advance at your own pace.

So I've been playing this for 4 hours yesterday, most of that time spent on online race after online race, which was awesome! Flawless, 10-16 racers, voicechat, perfection! There's a lot of strategy in it too, find the right track route, with the right car, etc. but as you can choose a rival and bet on at least beating him, you can make this a personal race even if you're not going to finish even in the top 10 - so long as you beat 'that guy'. Which is good, because the best I could do was place third (which is ok, considering number one and two were level 27 and 41, and I was level 3 :D).

Then I went to do some hardcore events, just to see if I could beat one, and the second one was actually pretty easy to beat. Not so much the other ones though ...

But most important: THE FRIENDS LEADERBOARDS ARE ONLINE!

This is great, and they are filled already with the time you set in the campaign too, including times from friends, so I already had 2 other players to beat for many races. This should mean that now with the time trial you can also load in various ghosts from other people in your friends lists and online leaderboards, although I haven't tried that yet.

I only noticed one bug, in that one hardcore friends leaderboard had times set of :

2:45.20
2:45.21
2:45.22

Which were clearly not correct times. I think it was the sixth hardcore race or so, definitely one from the top row. Anyone else notice this?

Anyway the online and the friends leaderboards make this game jump way up on my replay value and enjoyability scale, and that alone puts it significantly over MS2, even if that game at times has more aesthetically pleasing graphics. MS3 is defo more fun.

Mylene

new 1.02 patch just went up!

Update 1.02 makes some significant changes to the game to improve online stability and error handling, specifically targeting causes of critical issues discovered over the first week of online play:

· Leaderboard and server improvements
· Improved error handling
· Improved game stability

Mylene

Thrakier said:
Nice!

Please someone explain me how the bonus system (betting) works for online races, pls. I just don't get it.

you just bet on whoever you think you can beat. if you beat them then you get the amount that was next to their name before you bet. you also get a bonus by taking that amount and applying the multiplier. If you lost to them then nothing happens, you just don't get any extra bonus points.

also, if you do win the bet, you have an option of betting your winnings from the last race to the next bet with a higher multiplier. each time you re-bet your winnings it increase the multiplier even more. but should you lose your bet, then you lose all the past earnings as well.

Thrakier

Mylene said:
also, if you do win the bet, you have an option of betting your winnings from the last race to the next bet with a higher multiplier. each time you re-bet your winnings it increase the multiplier even more. but should you lose your bet, then you lose all the past earnings as well.

Yeah, that's the thing I don't get. I didn't press square on the betting screen after the race and the bonus was still there after the next race. But shouldn't it reset the bonus to zero if I don't press square to boost the multiplier?

Has anyone tried to play a private game? Is it just me or is it impossible to quit out of it? The circle button does not work. You have to quit to the XMB to get out of it. Oh dear, Evo. I don't know if it was like this before the patch or not, I only went into private for the first time a few minutes ago. Someone else try it so I know it's not just me.

Also why can't we play the other modes in random games but we can in private ones? A little silly.

Thrakier said:
Yeah, that's the thing I don't get. I didn't press square on the betting screen after the race and the bonus was still there after the next race. But shouldn't it reset the bonus to zero if I don't press square to boost the multiplier?

The multiplier increases based on the number of times you win in a row. The max amount betted increases if you press square to bet all your winnings.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damnit, i cant join online games, my PS3 just keeps on freezing (european PS3 Slim 120GB). It did work sometimes on patch 1.01, but after trying times on patch 1.02 the whole PS3 freezes when it is "joining game...". I have tried 4 times in a row now, freezes every time. The music is still playing, but i cant get to XMB or anything. The PS3 HDD light is also not blinking. It froze sometimes on patch 1.01 though.

EDIT: I also tried to delete the game data for the game and downloaded both patches again, but that didnt help. I managed to get to level 5 on patch 1.01, so at least i got to experience how the online play was. I thought it was pretty cool, so it is a pity that it wont work for me anymore :(

EDIT2: Wow, the 5th attempt worked! :D I tried to free up some gigs on my PS3 just as a random thing, no idea if it had anything to do with it, but now (so far) it works at least :)

test_account

XP-39C²
For you guys who experience PS3 freezing, have you tried to delete a demo or something? My PS3 freezed 4 times in a row, then i deleted 2 demos freeing up about 3GB of space. After this i have joined 3 times with no problem. It might be a coincidence though, but maybe it is worth a try? :)

Thrakier

test_account said:
For you guys who experience PS3 freezing, have you tried to delete a demo or something? My PS3 freezed 4 times in a row, then i deleted 2 demos freeing up about 3GB of space. After this i have joined 3 times with no problem. It might be a coincidence though, but maybe it is worth a try? :)

Surely a coincidence. I have more than enough room on my PS3 and I played a ton of MS3 online games already. It just happens randomly from time to time. It's annyoing though.

Another day of no-freezes and a lot of fun. But apparently most issues now are only with private lobbies or something?

Gonna be a lot of work to get to level 40 and all those accolades and medals! Though the levelling up seems to be helped by judicious betting. Apparently you could also bet in private matches, and that was turned off in the latest patch to prevent people from cheating?

I suck at being aggressive by the way. I haven't wrecked a single opponent I think! But then I only just looked up that I need to use R1 and L1, so that and using a more aggressive car may help later. ;)

Got all the hidden cards today. Was tedious as fuck but at least it's done now and I have all the offline trophies. I'll probably just stick to online from now on. I don't think you get anything for completing all the hardcore races so I'm not even gonna try them. Too much frustration for me to handle. I couldn't believe you get nothing for wining every festival race. Not even an unlockable livery or something. Anything would've been better than nothing. You got the giant dumper monster truck for doing the same in Pacific Rift.

Top Bottom