• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Bajan32

I've been playing this game for a few days now, and i've been having a blast.
I'm up to rank 7 now and damn it took a lot of work to get there..

Losing races by .04 seconds an such, pisses me off but i just keep playing the track over and over till i get my gold medal..Every race ive done ive got gold in. Its really frustrating at times because sometimes it seems that no matter how awesome i drive, I just cant beat the computer.
Get frustrated and try and try again till i get my gold medal. nothing feels better than pullin off that gold medal.

This game is beautiful and tons of fun, great way to blow off some steam after work lol.
Online however, everyone is whopping my ass.

Greg

Just rented the game and I'm having a blast. I'm low on funds at the moment, but you MUST get this if you are a fan of arcade racing games. Anything I had a problem with in the original has been fixed (loads, lack of tracks), and they went way beyond that in terms of track design. There is less clutter and the racing is a bit more open, but it never takes away from the constant battles happening between the racers.

The game is absolutely beautiful in motion considering all the shit that's happening... some rough spots with textures at times, but nothing that's really troubling unless you stop to examine.
2irx1lx.jpg

5bnzf6.jpg

nxsxsy.jpg

2r2c8s4.jpg

b7ykqd.jpg

Jim

I have Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Gears of War 2, Far Cry 2, Saint's Row 2, SOCOM: Confrontation, Valkyria Chronicles and the Killzone 2 beta all sitting here collecting dust because I can't stop playing Pacific Rift. Best arcade racing game I've played in years. I loved Wipeout HD, but MS2 is topping it.

And it's the only game where I can't stop myself from jumping into photo mode a few times per race... and it has cost me the gold a few times. So many "wow, holy shit" moments. I have to grab them off the PS3, I keep forgetting.

I'm like 2/3rds through the Festival, with all golds so far.

wouwie

I didn't buy Motorstorm 1 so i'm wondering about (and looking forward to) DLC. What kind of content can we expect from Evolution? What kind of stuff did they release for Motorstorm 1? Hopefully there will be some completely new tracks.

tehbear

wouwie said:
I didn't buy Motorstorm 1 so i'm wondering about (and looking forward to) DLC. What kind of content can we expect from Evolution? What kind of stuff did they release for Motorstorm 1? Hopefully there will be some completely new tracks.

They released cars and tracks. Though the tracks took a LONG time to materialize but a bunch came at once. I think we can expect DLCs a little faster this time around, but also the game itself is meatier so the wait won't be as antagonizing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Are you guys getting together a game tonight? I might join in if so though I'm waiting for me new bluetooth so no talkie. Only played through three ranks so I'm very much a newb but I look forward to ruining gaffers' races with my monster truck.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
wouwie said:

DLC was pretty solid. Lotsa car skins, some bundled in track packs, other solo. The track packs were like mini-campaigns/expansions with their own tickets and rewards to unlock through progression. Usually unlocking a secret car of sorts by beating them.

roxya

itxaka said:
Almost forgot. Fuck evolution studios, a 4 page manual? 4 PAGE BLACK AND WHITE MANUAL? Come on, give me something I want to read and have, not something I want to burn. I can't understand why when games are more complicated each year, manuals got smaller. Seriously, 4 fucking pages.

The funny thing (well not exactly funny) is that I actually opened the manual to try find out what a speed race is. It doesn't even tell you. What the fuuuuuuuck!

The inside cover art is nice though.

This game is completely killing my interest in LBP. Best game on the ps3 IMO.

Only thing that annoys me so far is the random nature of the ranked matches online. Not so much the tracks since I like pretty much all of them, but I hate when I can't use the bike. I really can't stand the other vehicles, other than maybe the monster truck.

Guymelef

Hey, i think that yesterday i saw a pilot standing in the middle of the track, could it be?

I forgot to pause pause the game and go into the photo mode.

crispyben

robot said:
Hows it compare to Pure?

Liked the first MS, but Pure was one of the best games I've played this year. Anyone own both?
I own both, but they're so different that they're hard to compare. There's much more variety in MSPR, both in tracks and vehicles, there's destructible environment, and the handling is really different, even when driving ATVs. I'd say both are worth owning, especially if you like the tricks part of Pure, but if I had to choose, I'd go with MSPR.

I don't take many pictures, but here's one I like (I'm on the bike) with the plane, the boats, the screen, the sharks:

2mwf3wy.jpg

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so I downloaded the demo, and damn this game is fun. but how representative is the demo of the final game? and I didn't really feel that the different paths were made for spesific cars/bikes. I preferred the bike, but I could hold my own on the car, and I usually took the same routes. Is the demo level a small level, or is it representative of the other levels in the game?

There are so many games I want. :(

crispyben

Brobzoid said:
so I downloaded the demo, and damn this game is fun. but how representative is the demo of the final game? and I didn't really feel that the different paths were made for spesific cars/bikes. I preferred the bike, but I could hold my own on the car, and I usually took the same routes. Is the demo level a small level, or is it representative of the other levels in the game?

There are so many games I want. :(
The demo is only a fraction of the final game, this track may be the most simple of all 16, and the build is old. Trust me, if you had fun with the demo, you'll be overwhelmed with joy by the full extent of it!

BeeDog

crispyben said:
The demo is only a fraction of the final game, this track may be the most simple of all 16, and the build is old. Trust me, if you had fun with the demo, you'll be overwhelmed with joy by the full extent of it!

Indeed. The demo had pretty lame graphics, and the track that was used in the demo was definitely the worst one out of all of them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
is this the best arcade race game ever or what ? holy shit damn this is game is just awesome , but I still can't adjust myself with square button as handbrake , it's just wrong , I still found myself sliding to my death with me Blowing the horn instead of handbrake :lol

I think Evolution need to bring some sort of offline tournament patch ( give you 8 or so Races with win by overall points sort of thing with qualifying or something ) because after the festival I don't know If i will play this offline anymore .

Ristlager

AAARRRRRRGGG. Play shipped this game 9. of November, and I still haven't gotten it. The wait is killing me. You guys with your "iz te bezt gaim eva!" isn't exactly helpful either.

sensi97

I only need the 4-player split screen trophy, then I'll get my first platinum. But I still don't know how I'll manage to find 2 extra controllers since my friends haven't got their PS3 yet... *sigh*
Anyway, I love this game althought it can be very frustrating sometime (the AI cheats !) for an average player like me.

GodofWine

I still can't believe how much some people bitch and moan about being hit by other drivers...one guy I see a lot online who is REALLY good is "Turkish", he was in a room last night and a few guys were ragging on him for crashing people...dude was 10 seconds ahead of 2nd place everytime...who's he crashing??

Look, if Im about to go off a ramp and I have someone else next to me...they are getting nudged off the side...cause I can..thats why.

COD WaW and this have totally made me put down all my other stuff...

Jim

Ok, here's a few of my favs I took (resized to 1024 to same some loading). I can't get enough of the lighting, so amazing.
1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Twicenightly said:
Does this game have rain? Or any weather except sunny?

Loving the screenshots guys, great work!!

Some of the ones with the blue-ish above tint it was raining, it barely shows up in the captures.

There is rain and fog, to say the least. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm having a blast. Best racing game I've played in the last few years.

GodofWine

Whats the trick to driving the big rigs?? I finish LAST (literally every time) I use one...I see people winning with them in the same race sometimes...yea, so they are fast, but they handle like an old refrigerator and accelerate like a 82 Omni...

Im sure there is some boost / hand brake use Im missing with this one...

BeeDog

GodofWine said:
Whats the trick to driving the big rigs?? I finish LAST (literally every time) I use one...I see people winning with them in the same race sometimes...yea, so they are fast, but they handle like an old refrigerator and accelerate like a 82 Omni...

Im sure there is some boost / hand brake use Im missing with this one...

Are you making sure you always take the mud/water paths with the big rigs? They plow straight through pretty much any obstacles along the way. Those paths are often the most straightforward and will let the big rig gain some good speeds.

GodofWine

BeeDog said:
Are you making sure you always take the mud/water paths with the big rigs? They plow straight through pretty much any obstacles along the way. Those paths are often the most straightforward and will let the big rig gain some good speeds.

Hmm...will have to pay attention to my line..maybe Im avoiding the 'crap' in the big rig, I know in a monster truck I find the biggest water I can and just boost away.

I just seem like in every turn I bog down and have to waste my boost to just get back up to speed.

Jim

GodofWine said:
Hmm...will have to pay attention to my line..maybe Im avoiding the 'crap' in the big rig, I know in a monster truck I find the biggest water I can and just boost away.

I just seem like in every turn I bog down and have to waste my boost to just get back up to speed.

Handbrake early, and boost out of it. And yeah, stay on the flat lowlands, mud, water, whatever.

The trick is to go as straight as possible and keep up the speed. Pretty much nothing slows it down, so once you hit top speed it's easy to overtake the field.

GodofWine

Jim said:
Handbrake early, and boost out of it. And yeah, stay on the flat lowlands, mud, water, whatever.

The trick is to go as straight as possible and keep up the speed. Pretty much nothing slows it down, so once you hit top speed it's easy to overtake the field.

so conserve boost for exiting the turns, stay low, find the muck to drive through, and avoid flying off the track into deep canyons :lol

got it.

sun-drop

dam, welcome to motorstorm.

i still own the orig because it's just too dam goodlooking a game to sell, loved it to bits ...and while looking forward to this i just haven't been that sold on it from what i saw in previews and even the qore demo.

even saw it running in stores and though the image quailty had taken a hit over the orig .. but i guess that was a fucked up tv because i've rented this game tonight and _holy shit_ ..at time i'm feeling this amazing feeling of being lost in the jungle ..the jungle.....as in i'm plowing through this under growth and looking for the main group ..and then exploding above my head some big rig goes flying over me. love it.

tracks are just alive with 'stuff' ..water, steam, heat haze, dust, fog .... just so busy.

jesus there is WAY too much to play on ps3 this xmas ... :( .. let alone buy ... shit

Sysgen

I was going to buy this on release. Hesitated, thought the demo was somewhat underwheming. They should of used a another track for the demo. If you want to sell something you demonstrate your best asset? Thanks to this thread I went back and reevaluated the demo. I bought it yesterday and played last night. The screens posted here do not do the game justice. For the most part it's graphically outstanding and I share the opinion of others who have spoke postively about the game but most importantly the game is ultra fun. Only have a few PSN friends so if your're so inclined then add me.

crispyben

Pallaris said:
Alright, that razorback rank6 racing even (racing truck) it's totally winnable (4 hrs and many, many retries later) here's how:

*snip*
This event is ridiculous... I can't see anything in the last corner! I may ahve to break my slef-imposed rule of gold-before-I-move-on :( Anybody got other tips?

Goldrusher

Meh, all these great impressions and super pretty screens.

My VGP copy still hasn't arrived. Other games took ~8 days, this one 3 weeks and counting.
And why won't they reply to my complaint mail ? :(

Bajan32

Fuck this game man....
Rank 6 Razor Back Racing truck is the biggest pile of shit cheating assfuckery I've ever seen in my whole god damn life....

Im so god damn pissed right now..
Well over 300 races or so and i cant get higher than silver...
15 asshats all gunning to make you crash... they all take perfect corners and dont get me started on the fact that this track was made for Big rigs and Monster trucks, none of which i can use..

OMG if my Set up wasnt so god damn expensive something would have been broken by now.
i can run a perfect lap and get 1st on lap one...after that all shit breaks loose and no matter what route, angle, boost usage, luck, prayer and faith I try i cant do this shit.

I was having way too much fun w/ this game..all golds...then this race..

FUCK THIS IM GOING BACK TO VALKYRIA CHRONICLES.

Ploid 3.0

GodofWine said:
I still can't believe how much some people bitch and moan about being hit by other drivers...one guy I see a lot online who is REALLY good is "Turkish", he was in a room last night and a few guys were ragging on him for crashing people...dude was 10 seconds ahead of 2nd place everytime...who's he crashing??

Look, if Im about to go off a ramp and I have someone else next to me...they are getting nudged off the side...cause I can..thats why.

COD WaW and this have totally made me put down all my other stuff...

Having someone cause me to crash online would put a big smile on my face lol. I'm crazy like that, I'll then get revenge on them somehow.

GAF what's the deal, do I need to take matters into my own hands and declare Thursdays as Motorstorm night? I'm not good at this and it would be a shame for me to do it.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Just started playing this game online last night.
Really really enjoyed it, good matchmaking and lag free racing.

Played a few races to get to novice level.

How long to it take to get to the top tier in online mode? How many races would you need to win or place in the top 3?

sun-drop

dam team racing would be PIMP ... sounds awesome ..1st team home...last team standing..etc..

is there an option to have user names over the cars in online mode though ...i'd like to be able to easily see where my buddies are...so that i can target and run them off the road :D

FRANTIC, and LUSH ...two words i'd describe this game with ...don't there there is a single racer out there that has as much going on at any one second as motorstorm ...so good...

Guymelef

sun-drop said:
is there an option to have user names over the cars in online mode though ...i'd like to be able to easily see where my buddies are...so that i can target and run them off the road :D

L3 twice.
Online and offline.

jjasper

Got my copy from gamefly the other night. Man this is how a sequel should be. It is just an improvement in every way over the original. Definitely going to keep it.

Jesus I suck online though.

Top Bottom