• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Tarin02543

Has anyone noticed how good the tires look? They look so smooth and round, like straight out of a CGI movie. I wonder how they do it?

TabSel

CurlySaysX said:
FUCK! the elimiator on Razorback with the bike is HARD!
This level is harder than MS1's Buggy Messa race.

yes, that event took me nearly 5 hours until I went to sleep totally frustrated... never got to get better than silver... have you managed it? Are there some routes dedicated for this event? I am unable to win gold, everyone is faser than me, can't be :D

crispyben

TabSel said:
yes, that event took me nearly 5 hours until I went to sleep totally frustrated... never got to get better than silver... have you managed it? Are there some routes dedicated for this event? I am unable to win gold, everyone is faser than me, can't be :D
I got it after a few tries (Smallest Adventure, right?), using the same route as the racing truck rank 6 event: high road on first corner, right-most road before the mud field, left road to the big-ass jump, going low on the right in the banked corner, straight ahead, sharp turn, drop down in cave, sharp turn avoiding pillar, boost till finish line. You need to be very efficient in te area before the mud field since that's where the eliminations end (roughly). I got gold after the mud field, to give you an idea of how fast I went.

TabSel said:

Yes I got it.
:
Go wiiiiiide to the right at the start avoiding the monster trucks, you should be in first place before the bend- dont use any boost, then take the middle section where the track splits up into 3 and boost as soon as you hit the mud , then go far left into the huge Jump under the waterfall.
On the second lap take the left split (You should be 2/4) then go far right at the 3 split section, start boosting as soon as you hit the mud, no sooner and no later, your boost should last until the river section... then just race as well as you can and try to dodge the monster trucks because they will most likely be right behind you. Then just Cruise to the win.

Make sure your boost is 100% empty before reaching the muddy sections i mentioned above.

crispyben

CurlySaysX said:
Yes I got it.
:
Go wiiiiiide to the right at the start avoiding the monster trucks, you should be in first place before the bend- dont use any boost, then take the middle section where the track splits up into 3 and boost as soon as you hit the mud , then go far left into the huge Jump under the waterfall.
On the second lap take the left split (You should be 2/4) then go far right at the 3 split section, start boosting as soon as you hit the mud, no sooner and no later, your boost should last until the river section... then just race as well as you can and try to dodge the monster trucks because they will most likely be right behind you. Then just Cruise to the win.

Make sure your boost is 100% empty before reaching the muddy sections i mentioned above.
Are you sure you're talking about the eliminator? Sounds like you mean the race...

yes..
the smallest adventure.
I found it was the easiest way to win.
You can pretty much stay in first place from start to finish this way.. the hardest part is the final 20 or so seconds.

One and a half.
The race ended just as I was taking that big jump at the waterfall.

mspr10.jpg

Maybe that will explain it better.
Blue = 1st Lap.
Yellow = 2nd lap.
Orange = End 1st Lap/Start of Second Lap.

John_B

Game is awesome, but really, some of those Rank 7/8 races are bullshit. It's like they tried to hide the broken AI from the reviewers by enabling them 10 hours into the game.

Seeing how the developer ghost times are not that great, I'm pretty sure nobody at the offices of Evolution Studios ever won a rank 8 race on Razorback. The AI was a huge complaint in the last game, so it really bothers me they did not take the time to adress that properly.

Motorstorm 2 got underscored by most reviews, the graphics are awesome, controls are great and the tracks are incredible. I don't think they can achieve much more with this franchise, so I hope they develop a different game next time.

Cesar

Banned
Tarin02543 said:
Has anyone noticed how good the tires look? They look so smooth and round, like straight out of a CGI movie. I wonder how they do it?

Yep, I noticed it too. They really do look a bit CGI-isch with the correct lighting. Like in this screen of mine:

zl3y8z.jpg

Or the one on the top right:

2i85jm.jpg

And for the sake of it, I'll post some more :D

2zrnscn.jpg

2yl90d4.jpg

28ib909.jpg

2lbg6t2.jpg

14kehbb.jpg

oivs5w.jpg

2wppfyg.jpg

2elb4md.jpg

2j5hzzo.jpg

2mgjvyc.jpg

quetz67

Banned
Apart from some minor graphics issues I have yet to find a major flaw in this game...I just love it and it always motivates another and another try

crispyben

I think I've hit my limit: I've only gotten silver in the last two events, and cannot master the lastest one (rally car race on Paradise Beach)... It's a shame, I had a blast up till now.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Damn this freaking game, it suddenly flipped the dick switch on rank 7 and it's just flat out irritating. Rally car race on Paradise Beach. Here I am in first place on the final lap when I come to that section where it's like a factory and it splits into three roads. Monster trucks have freaking demolished everything in the area which means there's debris everywhere. Which is fine except the game forces me to be in a RALLY CAR so when I hit ANY of that debris at full speed I either wreck instantly or it tosses me on my side and I go flipping end over end

Same with that racing truck race in Razorback, I've found that using the hidden tunnel instead of going over the massive jump is quite a bit faster and can give a pretty good leg up on the race but GETTING to that tunnel means sliding on the freaking ice mud and trying to somehow get past the monster trucks who seem to behave as if I'm the only car on the freaking track and should destroy me even if it means destroying themselves

Seriously close to just walking away from the game at this point, I've got too many other games to play which actually play fair

kenta said:
Same with that racing truck race in Razorback, I've found that using the hidden tunnel instead of going over the massive jump is quite a bit faster and can give a pretty good leg up on the race but GETTING to that tunnel means sliding on the freaking ice mud and trying to somehow get past the monster trucks who seem to behave as if I'm the only car on the freaking track and should destroy me even if it means destroying themselves

Seriously close to just walking away from the game at this point, I've got too many other games to play which actually play fair

For this race On the first lap take out and slow down all the smaller cars (racing trucks and rally cars) and let the big rigs and monster trucks get a good lead.
On the second lap go as fast as you can and drive as well as you can. It should be fairly easy to overtake the leading trucks at the waterfall and maintain the lead until the finish.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kenta said:

Even though it's a very good arcade racer--I still say this is one of my biggest problems with the game; debris and signs and shit that just shouldn't wreck you in this kind of game fucking annihilate your car. Wrecking is just not fun like Burnout either.

AstroLad said:
Even though it's a very good arcade racer--I still say this is one of my biggest problems with the game; debris and signs and shit that just shouldn't wreck you in this kind of game fucking annihilate your car. Wrecking is just not fun like Burnout either.

Agreed. Sometimes a slightly uneven terrain will cause your car to flip over. I just laugh and shake my head.

vicissitudes said:
Agreed. Sometimes a slightly uneven terrain will cause your car to flip over. I just laugh and shake my head.

Learn to shift the weight of your car on bumpy areas.
Pressing Down shifts the weight to the back of your car = good for taking jumps
Pressing Up shifts the weight to the front of your car = good for getting better traction and stabilizing your car on a bumpy road.
If you're about to flip over you can usually press down (shift weight to the back of the car) and save your car from flipping out without losing too much speed.

If you shift your weight to the front when taking a ramp you will most likely crash or if you go over debris with your weight shifted to the front you will crash or lose a lot of speed.

kenta

Has no PEINS
CurlySaysX said:
For this race On the first lap take out and slow down all the smaller cars (racing trucks and rally cars) and let the big rigs and monster trucks get a good lead.
On the second lap go as fast as you can and drive as well as you can. It should be fairly easy to overtake the leading trucks at the waterfall and maintain the lead until the finish.
Yeah I know, you posted that comment earlier on this page (hard to tell with all these dang screenshots littering it though). You're basically saying to grief the lighter trucks on the first lap, and I've tried doing that but it still doesn't seem to work. I will probably try these races a few more times and hopefully beat a few other races, get a few trophies, but I will just try not to let these things irritate me so much

Doc Evils

I think I'm going to give up on rank 8 races.

It seems they have given the AI an unlimited amount of boost which enables them to catch up on you and go far head. Really stupid decision.

crispyben

Doc Evils said:
I think I'm going to give up on rank 8 races.

It seems they have given the AI an unlimited amount of boost which enables them to catch up on you and go far head. Really stupid decision.
Damn, I'm 50 points away from Rank 8, but it sounds like the game is over for me anyway :(

Maggot9

Banned
is this game harder/more frustrating than Wipeout HD? Is it harder than the original? The first Motorstorm frustrated me countless times but i still ended up finishing all of the races.

Doc Evils

Man not only do they over boost, but they try to over take you and then brake infront of you to wipe you out. :(

let me record a video to show you what I mean.

tzare

Yesterday i won the Immortal Trophy (Win an Online ranked race without wrecking) by quitting an online race because i had a phone call. Weird :D

glaurung

tzare said:
Yesterday i won the Immortal Trophy (Win an Online ranked race without wrecking) by quitting an online race because i had a phone call. Weird :D

I actually got the Immortal trophy during my first online race.

I had just struggled with the Riptide track (still my favorite of them) in the Festival mode and decided to jump online (very early, below Rank 3 in Festival).

So the Riptide track gets chosen, I get a buggy and the others go for trucks and rigs.

There's a massive crash right at the beginning, I somehow swerve by that, get in the lead, struggle with a truck at the 1,5 lap mark and finally pull in a long way ahead of everyone.

First online victory, two trophies and a nice new buggy model (the drag racer look-alike).

Awesome.

But now I am on my way to rank 4 and some of the races on The Edge track annoy me to death: get a buggy and the AI kills me with the race cars, get a race car and I need to decelerate too much on the last really harsh corner before the finish.

Jim

Jim said:
I'm stuck on the Razorback Rank 7 race that requires the racing truck.

Doh... that was actually a Rank 6 race. But still a pain. Finally got thruogh it with a gold. Hitting that banked turn before the cave entrance at full speed and sneaking neatly through the little opening on the right before the long straightaway was the key for me.

Man, most of the rest of these Rank 7/8 "single vehicles" races are not easy (for getting gold), hah.

TabSel said:

After the Rank 6 Razorback with the Racing Truck I found this one pretty easy. Swerve far right at the start around the trucks, and when boost kicks in around the big left turn, you should be in close to first. I followed the heavy vehicles to the right after the big sweeping turn and went through that long little tunnel to the right of that jump and went up the narrow wooden ramp and off that jump, boosted up the rocky, wet banked turn. Then you have to be clean and fast through that last bit turn before the end cave. Drop down into the cave (start saving boost), and set up for that little opening on the very right, get through that with a quick brake tap and cut tight to the right, and boost to the end. Hit the stream for a little extra cooling.

crispyben said:
Gah, I'm stuck on Speed Freak (Kanaloa Bay, Rank 7, 3 laps, bike), any tips?

The end is the hardest part since if you aren't at full boost speed, the water kills the bikes. That high route to the end, on the little cliff area leading up to the puddles before the finish line doesn't work as good as you'd expect. 2/3 of the way through there is a jump to the right, I took that, did the right-left chicane, and then hung a TIGHT right, which will pop you out on the right side of the swamp and pond, and go under a branch and take the low road. It's a little swampy, with some brush, but you can drive a very straight line. Save at least 90% boost before that. Then when you hit the beach, boost, hit that jump next to the tower (with the arrows), over the puddle, and angle to the closest part of the left finish line.

I'm on the Big Rig Elimination now on the Kanaloa Bay. I've come close to 1st the two times I tried it. The fucking game gets hard, but I cant stop playing it, or thinking about playing it. I'm up to Rank 7 on pretty much all sections, but have decided to just finish them up in a row instead of jumping around now.

crispyben

Jim said:
The end is the hardest part since if you aren't at full boost speed, the water kills the bikes. That high route to the end, on the little cliff area leading up to the puddles before the finish line doesn't work as good as you'd expect. 2/3 of the way through there is a jump to the right, I took that, did the left-right chicane, and then hung a TIGHT right, which will pop you out on the right side of the swamp and pond, and go under a branch and take the low road. It's a little swampy, with some brush, but you can drive a very straight line. Save at least 90% boost before that. Then when you hit the beach, boost, hit that jump next to the tower (with the arrows), over the puddle, and angle to the closest part of the left finish line.

I'm on the Big Rig Elimination now on the Kanaloa Bay. I've come close to 1st the two times I tried it. The fucking game gets hard, but I cant stop playing it, or thinking about playing it. I'm up to Rank 7 on pretty much all sections, but have decided to just finish them up in a row instead of jumping around now.
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm like you, I'm obsessed even though it's starting to annoy me...

wouwie

Jim said:
The end is the hardest part since if you aren't at full boost speed, the water kills the bikes. That high route to the end, on the little cliff area leading up to the puddles before the finish line doesn't work as good as you'd expect.

So true :) That water just before the finish was a real problem on that particular bike race. Also, i struggled with this event for a long time because i was convinced that the high route at the end was the best way for the bike. Once i realised it wasn't, it was quite easy to win.

Jim

wouwie said:
So true :) That water just before the finish was a real problem on that particular bike race. Also, i struggled with this event for a long time because i was convinced that the high route at the end was the best way for the bike. Once i realised it wasn't, it was quite easy to win.

Yup... the "shortcuts" are sometimes not as short as you would think. It pays to mix it up and take routes you wouldn't normally choose because of your vehicle type.

Dibbz

+1 sales for MS2: Pacific Rift. Finally got it. Gonna play it after I have a shower and dinner.

Am I about to play the best racer this year?

3056851038_b324a507a0.jpg

GodofWine

Dibbz said:
+1 sales for MS2: Pacific Rift. Finally got it. Gonna play it after I have a shower and dinner.

Am I about to play the best racer this year?

3056851038_b324a507a0.jpg

Ah hell yea.

------------

To all...I dont mind being nudged off the road..thats part of the game, but when people drive straight into a 90 degree turn and take me and THEMSELVES out and we both lose 5 positions, thats when I start cursing over the mic. :D

--------

Edit #2 - Online when you see cars turn clear like they respawned but didn't lose any speed and look like they took advantage of crashing...Are they actually not crashing and it is just from my view that for some reason the system made them see through for a second? Cause anytime I hit select to get out of a crash, i start from a standstill...

crispyben

wouwie said:
Let me get this straight, just after you get under the first trees in the jungle, you take the jump to the right, left-right then real tight right, then left at the next fork, leading to the middle/lower road to the final section?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is really great....I popped this in after playing Sonic Unleashed and it was like getting a nice warm slice of pie after someone crapped in your mouth. This game is awesome.

wouwie

crispyben said:
Let me get this straight, just after you get under the first trees in the jungle, you take the jump to the right, left-right then real tight right, then left at the next fork, leading to the middle/lower road to the final section?

I don't remember exactly (winning this race once was enough so i didn't repeat it) but i think i stayed left the whole time. I might have taken the middle last bit by going under the wooden "wall" (there is an opening). Just before the finish, you can go right again (in between trees) and avoid the water by riding at the edge of it. But don't hate me if i didn't remember correctly :)

I did try a lot by taking the jump you describe but i then kept right all the way to the finish. That didn't work.

crispyben

wouwie said:
I don't remember exactly (winning this race once was enough so i didn't repeat it) but i think i stayed left the whole time. I might have taken the middle last bit by going under the wooden "wall" (there is an opening). Just before the finish, you can go right again (in between trees) and avoid the water by riding at the edge of it. But don't hate me if i didn't remember correctly :)

I did try a lot by taking the jump you describe but i then kept right all the way to the finish. That didn't work.
You have me confused now! I'll use the track's map tomorrow at work to show you what I mean.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Holy FUUUUCCKKK! My wife and kids bought this game for me for my birthday and I am in love! I can't believe how much fun this game is. My son clicked over to cockpit mode on me, and I pulled a computer chair up to the Kuro and put my face about 5 feet from the screen, and it's one of the most exhilarating games I've ever played. Not only that, but it's one of the most gorgeous games I've played as well. Some of the environments are beyond belief how great they look. I played the demo and felt it looked very meh. Holy shit, this game looks so much better than the demo. What the hell is up with that?

I sure hope this game sells well, it deserves it. It's a big improvement over the original in my opinion. I love the water and lava elements as well. I don't know how to else to say it, this game is simply the best arcade racer out there. I've never played anything as fun as this game in cockpit mode with my face pressed against the screen. I can't believe how fucking great it looks too.

Maybe I'll understand the 8ish scores this game received after I play a little further in, but right now, I can't imagine how this game could be below a 9 on metacritic.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anybody run into a bug in online mode where your vehicle and some other players are spawned upside down at the beginning of a race?
Its happened to me twice already, last time was 3 trucks upside down and sideways.

I also just picked this game up. It is completely awesome, and I agree that the demo doesn't do it justice. That track has very little going on in terms of vegetation, hot spots, cold spots, and rickety track extensions.

I take offense when people claim this game is arcadey and not a sim. This is probably a very accurate simulation of what it's like to have a rocket-engined monster truck dropped off by helicopter on a remote, volcanically active island that was once populated by a race of people that lived inside badass ramps.

Top Bottom