• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Marty Chinn: I have found your next TV :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
It seems that JVC has (at last) begun shipping the HD52Z575 52 Inch D-ILA RPTV

As you may or may not know, the HD52Z575 is a 3-chip, 720P LCOS TV, so no screen door (LCD) and no rainbows (DLP)

Better yet, with a $3400 MSRP and a street price hovering around $2800 it is in your price range and about the same price as the inferior Sony Gran Wega and Sammy 5063 DLP set.....plus, its 2 inches bigger ;)

If you are *REALLY* serious about getting a TV in a short timeframe, you could make a post in the JVC D-ILA powerbuy thread and perhaps save yourself even more money :)

I believe they deal with onecall, who are an authorized dealer....

Don't say I never did 'nuthen for ya ;)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=350817&perpage=20&pagenumber=27

Saw the JVC 52" at Video Only in San Mateo. Excellent picture. It was right next to the Sony GWIII and a Hitachi LCD. Very impressed with HD. The screen is very non reflective as the showroom was very bright and still no reflections and On par with the GWIII. The set was brighter that the GWIII but I played with the remote to reset to a neutral setting. The picture was great edging out the Sony on motion scenes. I spent some time looking at the HD feed and it was great, the color tones were different from the GWIII and I thought they were more natural. Though sometimes I thought the sharpness of the JVC was just a shade softer than the GWIII but still prefered it over the GWIII. I have been very displeased with the screen door effect on the GWIII though it was one top of my list of TVs over the Samsung DLPs.

Then on DVD, the PQ again was excellent, I preffered it over the Sony. I was confused a bit with the dark scene performance only to later realize that I had turned the DIST feature called Dynamic contrast off (so a revisit is in order). However, when I switched the color mode to Theater Pro a 6500K setting, once again the colors were better on the JVC.

Finally switched to SD with DirecTV. Here, surprisingly I thought the Hitachi did best followed by the JVC and GWIII almost on par. I was not using any scaling and hence the SD viewing was 4:3. I need to see that again.

I plan to take my Bravo in tommorow and do scaled 720p and 480p over DVI to the set. I bought a DVI-HDMI cable for test. I will report more. My viewing of this TV was a very satisfying experience. With respect to the color performance, this TV was much better than the Samsung DLPs I have seen so far, not the new HLPs though. I have seen the Mitsubishi HD2+ DLP but the screen has too much glare on and s unwatchable in a bright room though the PQ is pretty good and I thought it was close to the GWIII but the GWIII had much better viewing angles.

A bigger plus, it looks great and wife liked both the looks and the PQ over the GWIII!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=350817&perpage=20&pagenumber=28

I got one!
Hi,

So, last evening finally after recieving my DVI-HDMI cable I dropped by the San Mateo Video Only again, this time with my Bravo D1. Hooked it up, set the D1 to 720p output and loaded PotC. Excellent picture, I was truly amazed at the DVD performance. Selected, the theater pro color mode and this time switched Dynamic Gamma correction on. Excellent. I saw several scenes ranging from the fight on the island, the bright day time blue sea scenes and even the dark scenes with the cave fight at the end etc. Impressed on all counts. I tried JVCs Dynamic color correction but I didn't like it that much on DVD content and switched back to the Theater setting. I spent a good amount of time on the 'dinner on the pirate ship' scene to see how the facial color, detail and shadows change in the flickering candle light. Overall good performance, I did not see pixellation that I had seen in the past on older DLP sets.

Next I tried a few trailers and scenes from the movie Big Fish and then some action scenes out from ShowTime. No motion artifacts that caused viewing to be difficult. Also, I tried 480p over DVI out, but I preferred the 720p digital out on the Bravo but I did not spend time to analyze why.

Switched back to DirecTVHD, and compared it to both GWIII and the Hitachi. I was right when I said the GWIII picture was a shade sharper. So now, I switched Dynamic picture mode, and then the HD picture on the JVC set became much better. Either on par and exceeding the GWIII on occasions. I think this picture mode did better on darker portions of the screen like the the detail on face in a shadow. So though their dynamic mode seemed to be unsuitable for DVD, it did a really good job on the HD signal. I wonder why? Will try more experiments tonite.

Switching to SD, again I thought the performance was on par with GWIII. I did not get to see any high motion SD where the performance of the GWIII becomes very poor. However, I did see the DVD in 480i mode and did not see many motion artifacts like I used to see on the GWIII, like some delays/trails and some other macro-blocking like artifacts.

So, at the end of it all, I bought their last TV in stock! Got a pretty good deal. PM me for more details.

Thanks for all the help I got reading this thread. I guess its time to start the JVC owner thread. I get my TV today. Will post more after installation and comment on SD performance off my Dish721.

Vikram

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I actually LIKE the "screen door" effect on these TVs. Without it, the image almost seem too "raw" when viewing most sources. Many of the devices that you will end up displaying on your TV are not of the highest quality, so that mesh looking pattern actually helps.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IOf0mZ...0&I=25752Z575&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=#Tab

LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) has been one of the most eagerly-awaited big-screen TV display technologies. And one of the highest-performing LCoS designs is JVC's D-ILA (Direct-drive Image Light Amplifier). JVC has had more experience and success developing this advanced microdisplay design than anyone else.

Their elegant 52" HD-52Z575 uses 1280 x 720-pixel D-ILA devices in a three-chip design. Unlike with conventional LCDs, light is reflected off, rather than passed through, the liquid crystal panels, which really improves contrast ratio and black level performance. And unlike DLP-based big-screens, the HD-52Z575 uses three image chips — one each for red, green, and blue. The result is incredibly pure, natural-looking color.

D-ILA panels also provide the highest density of any digital display device — pixels are packed very tightly, and the spaces between pixels are tiny. Pictures have the smooth, seamless look of a top-quality tube TV, but with pinpoint precision and consistency that tube-based big-screens can't match. The picture looks terrific right out of the box, and will stay that way!

The "H" in HD-ILA stands for high-def, and you'll want to connect an HDTV tuner as soon as possible, because HD's wider color palette and stunning clarity will knock your socks off! To help standard TV signals look closer to HD, the HD-52Z575 uses JVC's exclusive Digital Image Scaling Technology (D.I.S.T.), which upconverts lower-res video signals. Even on a screen this large, images will have more natural texture and depth.

Other proprietary JVC technologies ensure optimum picture quality at all times. The Four-Point Color Management System delivers vivid color reproduction by selecting four points from the color spectrum and adjusting each color separately. Performance is further enhanced by HD DSD circuitry, which works on still, fast- and slow-motion areas of the picture to maintain crisp, defined edges.

The HD-52Z575 has 5 A/V inputs, including two HD-compatible component video inputs, plus the latest digital connection: HDMI. With HDMI, a single cable carries video and multichannel audio signals! HDMI is also backward-compatible with DVI.

The outstanding remote control has two genius features: it's fully illuminated, and includes direct-access buttons for each video source. Hooray!

Key Features:

HDTV monitor (compatible with HDTV/SDTV formats — when connected to a separate HDTV tuner — and displays all signals at 720p)
widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
JVC D-ILA 3-chip design (1280 x 720 pixels each)
D.I.S.T. (upconverts all video signals to 720p)
Natural Cinema 3-2 pulldown processing
TheaterPro 6500K color temperature
Four-Point Color Management System
Motion Adaptive Dynamic Gamma Correction (DGC)
HD Digital Super Detail (DSD)
181-channel NTSC tuner
Picture-in-Picture (split-screen)
built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
BBE™ High Definition Sound for enhanced 2-speaker sound
illuminated multibrand remote control
5 A/V inputs, including:
3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
3 S-video (2 rear, 1 side)
2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
1 rear-panel HDMI digital audio/video input with HDCP copy protection
RF input for antenna/cable signals
Energy Star® compliant
49-7/8"W x 36"H x 16-1/4"D
weight: 84 lbs.
warranty: 1 year parts & labor
Large Item Special Shipping: Because of its large size, the HD-52Z575 will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. In-home delivery is FREE for this model. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the TV must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
JVC D-ILA Owner's first impressions
Hi,

Took delivery of the 52Z575 in black. It is impressive sitting in my living room. Matches most of my setup. It is still on my older stand for the Sony RPTV. I have another stand waiting for it so that all my HT equipment can go below it. I liked the fact that the base and speakers did not take up too much height.

So, video set is currently as follows,
Bravo D1 - 720p over DVI
RCA ATSC21 - 720p over DVI
Echostar 721 over S-Video
MediaCenter PC - Over S-Video/DVI

Bravo D1 - I saw MI-2, LoTR II and Oceans-11. MI-2 and Oceans-11 were fun to see natively scaled up. I think I prefer the Bravo's scalar over the JVC if I use 16:9/480p but I need to see more material to be conclusive. I liked the colors during the MI-2 desert rock climbing scene.

HD-OTA - Fantastic. I saw Jay Leno in HD last night and a rock show that was on another channel and I loved it. HD picture is really good. Once again I played with Dynamic Picture mode. I dont know if I like it that much. I prefer setting the color to theater mode and set dynamic gamma on. But I think it depends on the content, it may look really good on Discover-HD.

SD over S-video - Now this was interesting. To really enjoy this SD experience I had turn all processing off. Again, I am refferering to only high motion scenes in SD. Now, I do not see any such issues with SD over DVI from the HD-OTA set top box when it outputs 480p on some DTV channels. So I think people who want to use DVI out from their Dish/DirecTV boxes for SD will be very happy if the digital SD was a decent quality. I have not experimented with SD in component. However, my experience with SD on both DLP and LCD was quite bad, so in my opinion this seems better, but is not completely free of artifacts. My wife enjoyed a full movie using the Dish721 in SD before I got around to all my testing and she loved it and said colors and brightness levels and sharpness was much better that our previous Sony CRT RPTV. Also, if you have any noise in the S-video/composite/RF analog in, you will have quite a bad viewing experience.
I will comment on specific S-Video stuff later as I view more content.

So far my DVD(HDMI) and HD-OTA(1080i and 480p DTV) has been really good. Colors, sharpness and contrast ratio is excellent.

I am in the process of putting up pictures on a website. I did do some but I am trying to post my actual jpegs as opposed to publishing them on a web page. So hold on, but so far I am happy with this TV.

Vikram

PS: Oh yes, forgot about the Media Center. For some reason I am having a set up problem on the Media Center when connected using DVI out, even though the screen resolution is set o 1280x720 the desktop is not being scaled correctly and I have to pan and scan to access the full desktop. I think I need to upgrade my driver. I have set the display to a digital 16:9 display, but still having issues. So I will comment more on it later. But, the PC-XP desktop looked neat, no ghosting...well a little bit if I used the S-video, but none at all on the DVI out.

So, now I have 3 DVI sources and one HDMI input...:)-(.....we need a PB on 4 device DVI/HDMI switch!!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=423390

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Back panel/w HDMI in!! (XENON,Revolution and PS3 should have HDMI and/or DVI outs)
h25752Z575-b.jpeg

Silver Version
h25752Z575-f.jpeg

Front Panel
h25752Z575-o_side.jpeg

Side View
h25752Z575-o_profile.jpeg

Remote
h25752Z575-r.jpeg

Teddman

Klee, what's the latest on Sony's GLV technology? How's that coming along; when is it expected in consumer sets?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Ted, Sony is still working on GLV......they showed a prototype GLV projector this spring and they claim they will first release it as a D-Cinema product (next year) with consumer products to follow at a later date....

The problem with GLV is the fact Sony has done so well with their new SXRD (Sonys name for LCOS) technology, it may make GLV redundant.....or at least it will in the near term.....

The 1080p Qualia 004, Sony's very first SXRD product, is currently the best digital projector in the world and they just showed off the SRX-R110 and SRX-R1050 SXRD projectors at Infocom, which both have 4096 x 2160 pixel resolution!!!!

Clearly, SXRD technology has potential, and I think you will see more of a focus on SXRD from Sony in the near future.....they will probably replace the LCD Grand Wegas with 3-panel 1080p SXRD chips by this time next year....or so I hear....

BojTrek

Banned
Damnit... LCOS sounds like the way to go... I was gonna buy a big screen this weekend... I have been saying this for weeks... but I am just so confused...

I want it thin, I want incredible resolution, and I want to not go over $2000 after taxes... DAMN...

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Well, this LCOS TV is shipping and you can get it for around 2800.....still about $800 beyond your budget and thats not including taxes....

The good news is, with the arrival of LCOS TVs this year, DLP finally has some big competition, which will force down the prices of all....

Along with JVC, you will see many other LCOS RPTV technologies (Brillian, eLCOS, INTEL, Philips, Sony and god knows who else) arriving between now and spring 2005......all except the Philips and maybe the INTEL LCOS will be be 3 chip designs (though, Intel will also have 3 chip designs for 60+ inch RPTVs)....3-chip LCOS's are superior to 1-chip DLPs in most ways and the price of LCOS designs are finnally coming down to earth....

Even better, the lower prices of these RPTVs should help their popularity, which, in turn, should pressure different HDTV technologies (like Plasma TVs) to lower their level of entry as well....

Moreover, emerging technologies like FEDs will be forced to intro @ prices competitive to RPTVs if they *really* want to be the replacement for plasmas and gain marketshare over RPTVs....

Indeed, FED developers like Canon/Toshiba, Samsung and Motorola have stated, time and time again that their flat panels will be thin, lightweight, energy efficient, and most of all...cheap.....

In case you are wondering...these FEDs should begin to arrive sometime in 2005...

Wow! That is tempting. I was going to wait until the next generation of consoles before making the HDTV plunge. BUt that TV has some VERY nice featires as well as a beautiful picture. Nice design as well.

Top Bottom