• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian577

Banned
I just saw this commercial on TV consisting of nothing but the whoismrrobot.com Does any one have any idea what this is about? There was a voice over on the site talking about secret societies, corporations and debt and then I was asked for m E-mail address. My curiosity peaked I gave it to them. It's obviously some sort of viral marketing, anybody have any idea what it is?

Edit: Ignore the above, this is now the official Mr. Robot topic.

MOD ABUSE:

Mr. Robot is a new TV show airing on USA. It is a hacker-thriller and starts up on June 24th. Reviews have been good. There is more info here on USA's website. Here's a trailer.

ARqT3YA.jpg

SlPaEwj.jpg

Deft Beck

Domain Name: WHOISMRROBOT.COM
Registrar: DOMAIN.COM, LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 886
Whois Server: whois.domain.com
Referral URL: http://www.domain.com
Name Server: NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server: NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
Updated Date: 27-feb-2015
Creation Date: 23-oct-2014
Expiration Date: 23-oct-2015

Nothing descriptive here.

RS4-

Enjoyed it quite a bit. A little concerned that Christian Slater is involved, as his last hacking show or whatever got canned early lol.

Mr. Hyde

I loved the pilot. My only issue so far is that Christian slater feels out of place. We will see if they develop him more believable as the show progresses. The main actor is spot on though and I enjoy that they didn't go the route of graphical interfaces for the hacking scenes.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Robot_(TV_series)

Mr. Robot is an upcoming American drama television series created by Sam Esmail. Follows a mysterious anarchist (Christian Slater as Mr. Robot) who recruits a young computer programmer (Rami Malek as Elliot) who suffers from an anti-social disorder and connects to people by hacking them. A ten-episode first season will premiere on USA Network on June 24, 2015. The pilot episode was written by Esmail and directed by Niels Arden Oplev.

JackDT

I loved the pilot. My only issue so far is that Christian slater feels out of place. We will see if they develop him more believable as the show progresses. The main actor is spot on though and I enjoy that they didn't go the route of graphical interfaces for the hacking scenes.

I watched the pilot really closely, and I'm convinced there's a very good reason Christian Slater feels out of place...
I'll let more people watch it before posting exactly why.

Loved the shit out of this pilot hopefully its more deserving of a OT, rather then whatever Halt Poop and Fire was trying to be.

moojito

Before I watched it I read somewhere that it had fight club vibes. I see what they were on about. Pretty interesting stuff, though I don't see where it can possibly go after "taking down the man" without turning into person of interest.

Maddocks

Watched the first episode. Not bad, hope it remains this good.

I have to ask though.
Mr.Robot is all in his head right? he is totally imagining him as a thing to push his own agenda right?

JackDT

Watched the first episode. Not bad, hope it remains this good.

I have to ask though.
Mr.Robot is all in his head right?

Yeah.

If you rewatch the conversation between Elliot and the rootkit girl it makes perfect sense: she thinks he's fucking with her by asking where the boss is because he is the boss. Watch the eyes of the person who opens the door in the second hideout scene. And more.

Hell the opening lines of the show: "I'm talking to an imaginary person."

It's a new show and supposedly the pilot was quite good.

Problem is with hacking/computer related movies/shows is that there's too much use of non-sensical tech talk. I haven't watched it but hope that doesn't happen, so I guess people who have been saying it's good might indicate it doesn't have all that silly non-sensical talk about hacking/programming.

Futurematic

The tech talk is mostly good, actually. The Verge had a blurb from the show's creater from post-premiere at SXSW Q&A about how movies/tv are terrible when it comes to computers.

As regards Mr Robot upon rewatching it:
no one reacts to him in the subway car the first time; Elliot has a strange feeling about saving the fsociety note (i.e. his other personality); dude at the arcade door--as noted above--doesn't look at Mr Robot; nobody in the arcade looks at Mr Robot; we've already had Elliot talking to himself in his head without others noticing via the shrink, so talking "out loud" in the arcade works; the very next scene is Elliot worried he's lost it and crazy and talking to the imaginary person, but we cut directly: he could have turned into Mr Robot for a few hours because Angela wonders what took him so long[1]; the way everyone says Evil Corp out loud means Eliot is deeply editing his own thoughts/memories, as established at the shrink. Obviously when the rootkit hacker lady wants something, Mr Robot then shows up to talk Elliot into doing what she needs. So yeah, multiple personalities I agree.

However, Mr Robot does interact with the two guys watching Elliot in the scene just before he borrows dude's phone to social engineer him, given how carefully shot it turns out the pilot is, I'm thinking something is up with that scene. Fight Club as a TV show is something that could work.

I really enjoyed it, of course pilots can trick you but I feel this was shot very carefully, I have hope for the rest of the series.

[1] Unless of course it can be explained by Q train transit time to Coney Island from Church Avenue Brooklyn and back.

Wiktor

Amazing pilot. The lead actor is just plain incredible. It's also beautifully shot and very clever in it's plotting. And even the hacking seemed believable. I have no clue if it really is, but it seems it is :)

Siegcram

Which makes the one month gap between pilot and the rest of the season even weirder.

Are they just showing the pilot again on June 24?

sun-drop

Just watched the first episode.... Think I'll keep watching.

But....feels a lot like geeky dexter ....may or may not be a bad thing

Which makes the one month gap between pilot and the rest of the season even weirder.

Are they just showing the pilot again on June 24?

I think they did it this way because they know how good a show they have here and they want to give it a month to garner good press and get talked about a lot before it actually starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom