• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time hearing about this show was this morning. Going to try and watch the pilot later, just wanted to say so cool we have Silicon Valley, Halt Catch Fire and now this to watch.

Only heard about the show when this thread pop up

Protagonist is like GAF non mainstream internet
I have a feeling it's going to be procedural drama, but I like the execution of show.

That company name lol

This is really good. This is basically if Watch Dogs was good. Very David Fincher with the misanthorpic protagonist/narration and green-and-yellow palette. Tim Ives' cinematography is so good here. Hope the rest of the direction stays as strong here. Still can't touch Utopia, but few shows can.

Like that Christian Slater is getting a revival here in good stuff. Nymphomaniac, Archer.

It was OK, a bit too much Fight Club for me. When I was 19 these themes applied more to me now they just scream of foolish youth.

Tamanon

Banned
Great pilot, although my On Demand version had spanish subtitles throughout which I couldn't get rid of.

Tech stuff was surprisingly accurate, although the accounts woman asking what a "rootkit" is while working at a security company was pretty funny. I know it's for TV purposes.

The theories about what is and isn't real are great, and I can't wait to dig in more.

Bloody Unicorn

Neo Member
Just finished the pilot.. I have to say, I'm impressed! The cinematography was great. Sure it had that geeky Fight Club feel to it, but i think this will be much more.

As suggested, I did think it was odd how
Christian Slater would just show up at the right place at the right time, and knew things that the main protagonist would know. Can't believe though that I didn't see that he's in his head and this is also why it is an awesome show. Like Fight Club clues are hidden in plain sight for you to see, and I love that.

My only gripe... that we have to wait a month to see more. :(

Also was hoping that the website was going to have a little more easter eggs that you could type in besides the commands under help... maybe there is and I haven't found them. All I found was this...

VTdQjfE.png

Edit: I spoke too soon. typing
does something.

Tugatrix

Just saw the pilot is pretty good, I want more. The main character is very well rounded and interesting, the plot has all the elements to develop him even further

cocopuffs

Banned
watched the pilot and really really really liked it.

think this will the fill the person of interest void for now, will definitely be keeping up with this

kvothe

The only thing I didn't like about the pilot was Elliot's terrible taste in favorite movies.

He's the type of person that could have just lied and picked something mainstream just for the appearance of normality. Just as he feigns interest in Hunger Games during the therapy session.

My buddy just showed me the first episode. Great great stuff. Was a bit worried how things would play out early on and which themes would become recurring, but all of those fears were quelled after finishing the episode. Can't wait for the next one.

Amazing first episode. I loved it.

PS. GifGaf, there is a 'It's happening' potential gif when he's in front of the billboard at the end!

"Bon soir, Elliot."

Just watched the pilot. That was excellent. Last time a pilot grabbed me like that might have been when I watched Hannibal or Person of Interest. Something about it just struck a chord with me. I really, really enjoyed it!

Rami Malek is a great lead. He just absolutely nails the character. Gets all his social awkwardness, mood shifts, and disorder across very well. Christian Slater is good as the probably Tyler Durden-esque Hacker he's gonna wind up being. Surprised at a USA show that had nudity and a couple of 'fucks'.

Pacing (especially it being a pilot) was pretty great. Cinematography was good. Felt like a Fincher-lite TV show. Special shout out to the music. Love the electronic unease. Love the story set ups, other characters, very exciting to see where we go from here.

Can't wait for Episode 2. Person of Interest is likely ending next year, this is probably a great piece to pick up from that technological societal vigilante kick I'm on always.

"Bon soir, Elliot."

Just watched the pilot. That was excellent. Last time a pilot grabbed me like that might have been when I watched Hannibal or Person of Interest. Something about it just struck a chord with me. I really, really enjoyed it!

Rami Malek is a great lead. He just absolutely nails the character. Gets all his social awkwardness, mood shifts, and disorder across very well. Christian Slater is good as the probably Tyler Durden-esque Hacker he's gonna wind up being. Surprised at a USA show that had nudity and a couple of 'fucks'.

Pacing (especially it being a pilot) was pretty great. Cinematography was good. Felt like a Fincher-lite TV show. Special shout out to the music. Love the electronic unease. Love the story set ups, other characters, very exciting to see where we go from here.

Can't wait for Episode 2. Person of Interest is likely ending next year, this is probably a great piece to pick up from that technological societal vigilante kick I'm on always.

I was interested, but it seemed way too "we're trying to be Hipster Edgy".

I'll give it a few episodes.

"Bon soir, Elliot."

Like I said in the PoI thread poit was amazing and so much like the PoI pilot man it was awesome.

Can't wait for EP 2!

Akahige

I watched the pilot, I'm shocked that a show this well done is going to air on USA Network.

The direction and use of lighting are worthy of of being compared to a film.

The performance of the lead I'd compare to Hugh Dancy in Hannibal, subtle and honest portrayal of social anxiety and mental illness.

The music is fantastic, it's like 80's synth by way of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

Well done, I looked forward to the rest of the season.

xrnzaaas

Pilot was awesome, I just hope they can keep it so dark and techy despite the show airing on sunny USA Network.

Futurematic

Really liked the pilot.

So the second episode isn't until... the end of the month or early July?

eps.1.0_hellofriend.mov | 24 June
eps.1.1_ones-and-zer0es.mpeg | 1 July

Love the way they are naming the episodes. In fact, I kinda like the pilot title for the OT name, anybody have ideas?
eps.1.2_d3bug.mkv
eps.1.3_da3m0ns.mp4
eps.1.4_3xpl0its.wmv
eps.1.5_br4ve-trave1er.asf
eps.1.6_v1ew-s0urce.flv
eps.1.7_wh1ter0se.m4v
eps.1.8_m1rr0r1ng.qt
eps.1.9_zer0-day.avi

this does look good but I cant help but feel this would be more apt as a mini series than a series. This is the kind of show which fizzles after season 1

Rami Malek is an amazing actor and this show will certainly shine a bigger spotlight on his career.. Been enjoying his stuff since the sitcom The War at Home. Nice to see an Egyptian get his due in Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom