• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MrBeast accused of being a Fraudster by former ex-employee

Draugoth

Gold Member

TLDR:

• His prizes are almost exclusively won by friends and employees
  • Mr Beast ran multiple streams where he sells signed shirts. In these shirt selling streams, the Mr Beast crew would put prizes in orders, alongside reading out the name of the order. Multiple people won on stream, and never received the prize
  • Mr Beast wanted to partner with Mystery Brand (Jake Paul and Ricegum's lootbox grift), and his manager needed to talk him out of it
  • A higher-up at the company self-admitted that Feastables was "at least 70% lottery"

T8SC

oh-no.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just watched the video. Tbh, I didn’t know much about Mr Beast beforehand, other than he apparently gives away millions of dollars and sells shitty burgers. But yeah, I absolutely believe this guy’s claims.

Aside from the illegal lotteries (which, under even slight scrutiny, are definitely not legal in most of the US), most of what he’s doing is pretty standard psychological marketing. The thing that makes it slimy is that it’s targeted directly at children under the guise that they should trust Mr Beast, and “he’s your friend.”

His tactics are extremely focused, aggressive, and successful, at the expense of his target audience’s money and health. That makes him, a YouTube celebrity worth over $100m, a shitty person. Surprise surprise.

I put him in the same category as most of those turds, like Logan/Jake Paul, or even something like Roblox. But it’s nothing new or revolutionary. This is the same shit Kelloggs and McDonald’s did in the 80s/90s, just far more potent in the age of smartphones. Bums me out.

I know nothing about him but it seems like another milkshake duck of YouTube society that is waiting to happen. Stay tuned for the next episode of Dragon Ball Z.

near

Gold Member
Yeah I'm sure those 100 people he helped get their eyesight back or those homeless people he gave a home are really upset at him for doing that.
Of course they won't be, because those in need of help will be eternally grateful to anyone who does help them. The act of helping people isn’t so much the problem, publicising your generosity to benefit from someones existing misfortune is. It’s a facade approach to charity, that not only elevates he’s character in social discourse but he also reaps financial reward from the traction that discourse creates. He’s not generous, he’s a gambler. He has taken stunt philanthropy to a level of absurdity.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I am pretty sure every few years the smear campaign on him comes up. I remember people bringing up a lot of these points and some old videos he did as evidence for him being an “awful person”.

It will fade in a week and he will just continue to run food banks, and help people all over the world.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I only know who this kid is because my kids will talk about him, but they don't watch him.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know who this guy is from the handful of videos Ive seen in the past where he buys tons of shit and gives it all away or something.

But he does online lottery draws of some sort??? Thats illegal and federally allowed only.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Of course they won't be, because those in need of help will be eternally grateful to anyone who does help them. The act of helping people isn’t so much the problem, publicising your generosity to benefit from someones existing misfortune is. It’s a facade approach to charity, that not only elevates he’s character in social discourse but he also reaps financial reward from the traction that discourse creates. He’s not generous, he’s a gambler. He has taken stunt philanthropy to a level of absurdity.

I don't agree with this, he does all sorts of stuff, blows up boats, maroons himself on an island, creates gameshows, none of which are exploiting participants (beyond what every single gameshow that's on tv has done for the last 50+ years of television).

I've seen enough Youtube shorts to know that there's an entire subgenre of the form that consists of giving homeless people $10 of burger and filming them being grateful with sad music overdubbed and waiting for people to say "oh bless your heart." That is fucking disgraceful, IMO.

But what Mr Beast has done is become one of the biggest (the biggest?) youtuber in the world and has then used his platform to provide food to underprivaleged families - filming people from charities, not the recipients, or cleaning rubbish from the seas, or planting what is actually millions of trees, or restoring the sight of people who need a relatively minor operation (and putting that on camera, Oh no!). In those cases, he's used his platform to encourage other people to donate.

He probably could have been just as successful and maybe made as much money without doing anything to benefit other people.

If you're going to let a kid watch popular Youtubers, is he the best of them? Probably.

I don't know what terrible things might be about to be pulled from his closet but if

• Mr Beast wanted to partner with Mystery Brand (Jake Paul and Ricegum's lootbox grift), and his manager needed to talk him out of it

is 3rd on the list of attempts to take him down, we can probably assume there's not much out there.

DosGamer

I live in North Carolina and went to ECU in Greenville where he is based. I cant say anything bad about the guy even though I have not been in any of his videos, or even met the guy for that matter.
I take the channel for what is was and is... Its a guy with a ton of drive to make a channel where he can cycle money back into it to keep it going and do bigger things.
Its a shame that the Chris Tyson thing happened the way it did, but you cant blame Jimmy for that. Imagine one of your best friends fucking up and you want to help or protect but your investment/ company means more.... so you do the business thing...
Regardless of your views, its a shitty situation for anybody to be in ... friends, feelings... etc....

Having said that, I really miss the old Mr. Beast. I loved the videos of them finding somebody and going to Best Buy to see how much than can fit in a taped square. I miss the crew doing sill survival challenges. The big skits are nice and all, but the grass roots approach was what got me into it.

DosGamer

On a slightly different note, I do believe that we are in the Wild West/ California Gold Rush of YouTube. It seems that there is a formula to make a ton of money on the site and its creating a host of young wealthy people with a some what celebrity status. Some of the people I watch are rolling in cash left and right. I think that in the coming years... the money people can make will start to level out and you will see less people doing it because of that.

I don’t totally get why he’s so popular to be honest. I don’t see charisma, wit or foresight there. Then again I’m approaching middle age and becoming even more a grumpy cunt .

Last edited:
Meh, the richer and more famous people are, the more people try to claw at them to get some kind of bag or clout. I don't know anything about Mr. Beast other than he makes YouTube videos and does some philanthropic work. He could be a cunt and staging it all, or the accusations could be false, or at the very least, half truths. He could even be a cunt and it could all still be real philanthropy.

This shit is the price of being a celebrity. You're constantly hounded by people trying to get a piece of you, foaming at the mouth to watch you fail, all for some weird catharsis.

Don't forget, this forum went through something similar with a bunch of ex-mods. Always be critical of accusations, especially if the other side has something to gain (views/monetarily, subscribers/members, etc).

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don't agree with this, he does all sorts of stuff, blows up boats, maroons himself on an island, creates gameshows, none of which are exploiting participants (beyond what every single gameshow that's on tv has done for the last 50+ years of television).

I've seen enough Youtube shorts to know that there's an entire subgenre of the form that consists of giving homeless people $10 of burger and filming them being grateful with sad music overdubbed and waiting for people to say "oh bless your heart." That is fucking disgraceful, IMO.

But what Mr Beast has done is become one of the biggest (the biggest?) youtuber in the world and has then used his platform to provide food to underprivaleged families - filming people from charities, not the recipients, or cleaning rubbish from the seas, or planting what is actually millions of trees, or restoring the sight of people who need a relatively minor operation (and putting that on camera, Oh no!). In those cases, he's used his platform to encourage other people to donate.

He probably could have been just as successful and maybe made as much money without doing anything to benefit other people.

If you're going to let a kid watch popular Youtubers, is he the best of them? Probably.

I don't know what terrible things might be about to be pulled from his closet but if

is 3rd on the list of attempts to take him down, we can probably assume there's not much out there.
You know he won’t read this right?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Can't stand this man. He's always been a con.

I do understand why some people like his content, but then again I think those people are at best being used and abused.

I've seen a few of his videos when my son has had them on. I never felt conned or felt my son was being exploited.

I don't understand what "con" he's being accused of. Was it the Squid Game video, paying for people to restore their sight, providing drinking water to communities..... serious question because I'm struggling to see where the con is?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm convinced no actual real human beings watch Mr. Beast videos.

bender

What time is it?
I'd heard of Mr. Beast (who hasn't?) but this was really my introduction to him. If there is validity to these claims, yeesh. There is a reason we have regulators and regulations.

near

Gold Member

The point I’m making is that he’s charity endeavours don’t absolve him from wrong doing, especially when they don’t appear sincere in the first place. Mind you, I’m not attacking him or want him to get cancelled. I was replying to a post which suggested he should get pass because he is charitable. I don’t really know if there is anything here that is genuinely bad, a lot of effort is being made clearly. He’s best friend is being accused of some horrible things and the evidence is damning. He wasn’t just Mr. Beasts employee, he is/was one of he’s closest friends. Who turned trans and co-hosts a lot of Mr. Beasts YouTube content, I can’t imagine what sort of brainwashing the kids are getting with Chris/Ava propaganda. So no I would definitely not want my kids watching he’s content.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The point I’m making is that he’s charity endeavours don’t absolve him from wrong doing, especially when they don’t appear sincere in the first place. Mind you, I’m not attacking him or want him to get cancelled. I was replying to a post which suggested he should get pass because he is charitable. I don’t really know if there is anything here that is genuinely bad, a lot of effort is being made clearly. He’s best friend is being accused of some horrible things and the evidence is damning. He wasn’t just Mr. Beasts employee, he is/was one of he’s closest friends. Who turned trans and co-hosts a lot of Mr. Beasts YouTube content, I can’t imagine what sort of brainwashing the kids are getting with Chris/Ava propaganda. So no I would definitely not want my kids watching he’s content.

What wrongdoing are you actually accusing him of, and of people giving him a pass for? You're saying that he shouldn't get a pass, and that someone who was on his team has been accused of "horrible things"

Are you saying that Mr Beast has done horrible things?

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
What wrongdoing are you actually accusing him of, and of people giving him a pass for? You're saying that he shouldn't get a pass, and that someone who was on his team has been accused of "horrible things"

Are you saying that Mr Beast has done horrible things?
You’re awfully defensive for no reason. OP posts a video which accuses Mr. Beast of numerous things. Gaffer posts and comments that Mr. Beast is being accused of a lot of things, but he is charitable. I make a point that being charitable doesn’t prevent one from doing the wrong things. You get all anal about how Mr. Beast is an incredible guy and kids should watch him. If you’re having a hard time following the context of my posts, it’s probably because you have Mr. Beasts balls in your mouth right now.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You’re awfully defensive for no reason. OP posts a video which accuses Mr. Beast of numerous things. Gaffer posts and comments that Mr. Beast is being accused of a lot of things, but he is charitable. I make a point that being charitable doesn’t prevent one from doing the wrong things. You get all anal about how Mr. Beast is an incredible guy and kids should watch him. If you’re having a hard time following the context of my posts, it’s probably because you have Mr. Beasts balls in your mouth right now.
I'm not defensive, I'm just trying to work out what you're accusing him of. Doesn't seem like you know, which is why you're throwing insults around instead of expressing yourself clearly.

Top Bottom