• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ms. 'Splosion Man |OT| Man, I feel like a woman

JonCha

Just checked out the challenge/competition that can be attempted. Seems like a straightforward level, but requires a good rhythm to get the best time.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is the DLC messed up for anyone else?

I played through 5-1 fine, but I noticed after the first time you die the framerate turns to shit. Also, if you go to time trial, there's a 4th world with BUFFERBUFFERBUFFER written loads of times, same when you press on it.

Weird there are no cutscenes or anything, either. Just a level. :-/

eek5

cjelly said:
Is the DLC messed up for anyone else?

I played through 5-1 fine, but I noticed after the first time you die the framerate turns to shit. Also, if you go to time trial, there's a 4th world with BUFFERBUFFERBUFFER written loads of times, same when you press on it.

Weird there are no cutscenes or anything, either. Just a level. :-/

The cutscene at the beginning of ms splosion man is what happens at the end of 5-1. I'm wondering if they should've played it again or allowed you to jump straight into ms splosion man from the end of 5-1 or something.

I did notice some weird frame rate stuff during the level though but it was only in one section.

http://www.destructoid.com/explode-fight-mr-destructoid-in-ms-splosion-man--206680.phtml

EXPLODE! Fight Mr. Destructoid in Ms. Splosion Man!

The first TMS challenge for Ms. Splosion Man is now available and features Mr. Destructoid as a chasebot! All you need to do to get this free update is go to the "play challenge" section on the Ms. Splosion Man main menu and download it. Simple!

The challenge is only available until end of day July 31 and the top three in the leaderboards for this challenge will win some awesome prizes. The top three winners of the challenge will get a Ms. Splosion Man light-up statue, a super rare Mr. Destructoid Bobblehead and a bunch of shirts and posters from Twisted Pixel and us. One random contestant will also get a Twisted Pixel prize pack just for competing!

TMSScreen1-620x.jpg

LevityNYC

Banned
This game is pretty damn awesome. Some of the checkpoints are too far apart, and there a tons of cheap "learn by dying" moments, but I'm still enjoying it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Augh! I need to shave a second off of my challenge time! Where can I do it? It's literally less than 1 second between 1st and 150th :p

This is so aggravating and yet amazingly fun!

Edit: I'm currently at 1:21:99 and the leader is at 1:21:02... and I'm ranked 148

Edit 2: Ok, now I'm 66th. Made up a half second. Where can I get the other half?

Must.

Get.

Faster.

Anyone knows where to find the hidden level inside (co-op) 3-9? And 3-15 while we're at it.

PS: This game is the shit.

edit: found 3-9. After you catapult the fat lady, you have to use a moving platform to bring her up a floor then use her to jump onto the secret exit.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hardcore mode finished!

Time for speed runs! Hardcore mode is nice for that because your time resets when you die.

For the love of god somebody tell me there isn't a song in this game like the Donuts Song in Splosion Man.

Every time I play it that stupid song gets stuck in my head all day.

I have to say I'm disappointed in this game.

I loved Splosion man. Found it outright amazing. It was difficult but you got a good sense of accomplishment.

I find the sequel to be poorly designed for the sake of increased difficulty. Too much trial and error. Not enough of the upcoming sequence is presented to you so you're expect to die, remember, retry way too much.

I'm at 3-5 now and just looking forward to finishing the game.

Bought this game day 1, but i went back to splosion man to 200/200 it. I finally did it, and the level design in this game is through the roof. Love the rise in difficulty. Unlocked/bought 2 girls 1 controller mode, and man that is a challenge.

I'm half way though world two at the moment and this game just isn't very good. I loved 'Splosion Man and would recommend it to someone in a heartbeat but I couldn't do the same with this.

My main problem with the game is that it feels like it wants to kill you. There's a tonne of situations where you'll interact with an item that is beneficiary to you 99% of the time only to have it launch you to death with no way of saving yourself. I guess it's to do with the how much hype and credit Super Meat Boy received from critics and fans for being a masochistic platformer. The difference between this game and Meat Boy is that Meat Boy challenges you with a penalty of death and rarely makes the player feel like it's the games for fault.

It may be nostalgia talking but I don't remember 'Splosion Man having as many cheap deaths. I think it's because they had far fewer mechanics and thereby were able to refine them further. This seems like they threw every idea they had because the first one got dinged for it's lack of variety and gave them a chance to be funny.

That's actually something that's been worrying me about Twisted Pixel. In the past two games, their main focus seems to be on presentation instead making the game fun to play. I'm all for adding in funny, goofy stuff (which is top notch here) but not at the expense of the gameplay.

This may be a reductive thing to say given that I haven't finished game. But 'Splosion Man felt like the old sonic games while Ms. 'Splosion Man sort of feels like the new ones.

RukusProvider said:
I have to say I'm disappointed in this game.

I loved Splosion man. Found it outright amazing. It was difficult but you got a good sense of accomplishment.

I find the sequel to be poorly designed for the sake of increased difficulty. Too much trial and error. Not enough of the upcoming sequence is presented to you so you're expect to die, remember, retry way too much.

I'm at 3-5 now and just looking forward to finishing the game.

I'm playing through Splosion Man right now and there's a ton of that too. I can't see it being much worse in Ms. Splosion Man.

Right now I'm on 3-16 in Splosion Man where you're just in a free fall with the electric barriers. The entire level is just trial and error and memorization. Really cheap.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just beat this game last night. Holy shit, that ending was amazing.

I felt like this one had much fewer "kill myself tough" moments than the original. But both games are so great. The sequel is definitely the better game, though. Better environments, more varied gameplay, same humor. Loved it.

BigAT

Ataturk said:
Gold-only though, isn't it?
Yes.

I had been waiting on a Steam version, but that doesn't seem to be happening and at 400 points it was a no-brainer to finally pick this up.

Grisby

Finished this tonight. The last boss battle was great, didn't see that coming at all. The live action video was a little overdone.

I had a fun time with the game but in later stages it became a chore to see where Ms Splosion man actually was. That and the sudden camera shifts made it seem harder then it should of been. Also, too many unforeseen deaths. More so then last time.

Fun game though. I did enjoy the added color palette.

Has anyone experienced
"The Curse"
yet?
Whats this?

I just got the "You'll Believe a Ms. Can Fly" achievement. That felt damn good. Accomplishing that reminded me of the satisfaction I would get by sticking with a really hard game back in the NES days! :)

Top Bottom