• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ms. 'Splosion Man |OT| Man, I feel like a woman

Sai-kun

Banned
Omg, one of her idle dances is Single Ladies. I'm in love :lol

Edit: lmao at the shit-talking.

Edit 2: Okay. She made a Lady Gaga reference. This is officially the best game of all times.

eek5

Smision said:
was not expecting that ending to the first boss fight at all!
was that a God of War parody? all the splode QTEs.
hahah the
splode qtes
were hilarious

edit: loving the ghosts!

daffy

Banned
Wizpig said:
The reason being?

another edit. i think Twisted Pixel said, early in development, that this one was going to be easier than Splosion Man 1.
Not a fan of the difficulty spike in Splosion Man. Reading some of the trial and error/reflex stunts they've put in, Ms. seems to be more of the same. Early impressions are saying its harder than the original.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
game is constantly making me laugh out loud! is so much better than splosion man, its amazing! The demo should sell everyone with the amazing Predator ending. I didn't twig until the laugh.

truly truly truly outrageous!

I'm on 1-9 and this game is already hard as balls! I thought they said they were going to make it easier than the first, wha' happen?

Kinyou

Thank god that they made it even more difficult. I was afraid this would be a downgraded splosion man but this game is definitely directed at the people who played the first one.

"If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends"

"All my single ladies, alll my single ladies"

"my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard"

"to the left, to the left"

"if you like it then you should've put a ring on it"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'M IN LOVE

<3 Carlton and Chun-Li poses

Kinyou

Neuromancer said:
I'm OK with it for now but I have a feeling I'm going to go into full blown rage mode soon!
And you'll be full blown with satisfaction when you finally finish the level. :p

jtrov

Infamous Chris said:
"If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends"

"All my single ladies, alll my single ladies"

"my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard"

"to the left, to the left"

"if you like it then you should've put a ring on it"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'M IN LOVE

<3 Carlton and Chun-Li poses

Another one I really love, "I'll never let go Jack!". First time I heard that I couldn't stop laughing. Probably because I was free-falling while she said it.

Also, "All that she wants is another baby", is another I just laugh at every time I hear it.

jtrov said:
Another one I really love, "I'll never let go Jack!". First time I heard that I couldn't stop laughing. Probably because I was free-falling while she said it.

Also, "All that she wants is another baby", is another I just laugh at every time I hear it.

Lol.

"WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN."

see5harp

Sai-kun said:
And then she says "ew!" right after this! :lol this game is too awesome.

Yea actually that is one of the funnier parts because as a kid I always wondered what the hell was up with those lyrics. As far as all of the video...I do think it's a crutch for Twisted Pixel at this point, Splode Beneath My Splosion is worth unlocking and viewing. I also really like the original Beard video.

eshwaaz

I was a pretty big fan of the first game, and just tried the demo. The biggest issue for me is that I kept losing track of where Ms. was because of the additional colors and detail in the environments and bigger explosions. Frequently I'd die and not even know where onscreen I was.

Holy crap multiplayer is so much fun.

Four people, all with mics, AWESOME.

Oh and yeah I really would have done without foreground objects.

Also less unnecessary particle effects.

see5harp

eshwaaz said:
I was a pretty big fan of the first game, and just tried the demo. The biggest issue for me is that I kept losing track of where Ms. was because of the additional colors and detail in the environments and bigger explosions. Frequently I'd die and not even know where onscreen I was.

That is a big issue throughout the game. I don't even really have issue with the trial and error gameplay. The controls are the same as the first one so no beef there.

Adam J.

I was a fan of the first one, but I'm not enjoying this new one at all. Like mentioned a few post ago, I'm constantly loosing track of Ms. 'Splode on screen, due to poor choice of colors and the super-pushed back camera. I also find that this game has too many "wait around for the platform to move in position" sections which totally takes the forward momentum out of the game for me. It's not a bad game by any stretch, but I'm just not finding it very fun.

Turnstyle

Can you turn the speech off?

I'm wondering how funny the Lady Gaga references will be a few weeks down the line as you're attemping a level for the nth time.

So i decided to try the trial of this game. I was very disappointed in the first game, because it quickly got boring and the scenery repetitive. This game was so good I decided to buy it. I'm already having a much better time. I've just finished level 1-7 and im gunna call it a night. so far level 1-5 and 1-7 were the hardest. In 1-5 you pretty much had to die a couple of times to get through some parts. 1-7 just required much more precision than the others and im liking it. Overall the game is fantastic so far. Also, as of 3 hours ago I was ranked #11 on world 1-2 with a time of 2:40:90 (only .3 seconds slower than #10). Its nice being high on the leaderboards, but im expecting by a week ill be like 250 or something.

Turnstyle said:
Can you turn the speech off?

I'm wondering how funny the Lady Gaga references will be a few weeks down the line as you're attemping a level for the nth time.
Yes, in one of the tips it said that you could. I assume by just going to a setting/options menu and turning it off there

eek5

ahhh fuck level 1-5!! D: i got lucky on a missed jump and managed to skip like 3 of the lines. i figured i'd have a ridiculously fast time...

rank 95! wtf :(

btw i wish I could just watch the ghost instead of h aving to race against it :(

edit: got it down to 26 trying to chase a ghost. .. i'll settle for that lol

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Subliminal said:
Ms Splosion man (the character) is the least funny thing ever.

I am inclined to agree I think.. Not really enjoying this as much as I enjoyed the first. Although I have not played it for too long yet!

Kusagari

Oh man the second boss fight gave me a migraine. The screen is so zoomed out that it's almost impossible to focus on Ms. 'Splosion Man. This is made even worse by the color palette for this level being so blue. Her pink body easily blends into the screen and makes it a complete headache to follow her movement. And did I mention this is all going on while you're bouncing on trampolines above certain death?

Ughh.

DeVeAn

Ugh, I know this is lame but the character just kills it for me. I don't like the chick. Loved the original too.

Kusagari said:
Oh man the second boss fight gave me a migraine. The screen is so zoomed out that it's almost impossible to focus on Ms. 'Splosion Man. This is made even worse by the color palette for this level being so blue. Her pink body easily blends into the screen and makes it a complete headache to follow her movement. And did I mention this is all going on while you're bouncing on trampolines above certain death?

Ughh.

Same here man. I was starting to think I was immune to the colour/foreground confusion people were mentioning and then I hit that world 2 boss. How that got past play testing I'll never know.

Gaspode_T

Complaints about the way you die sound similar to complaints about Sonic games, where landing at the wrong angle on some creature can kill you and often you are moving too fast or somewhat randomly to avoid death. Technically I go back and play Sonic and think "god how did I ever beat this game back in the day"

The complaints almost make me want to play this more :) Maybe my elementary school self would have blazed through it, I would like to see how some wizard kids do with games like these

Scotch

DeVeAn said:
Ugh, I know this is lame but the character just kills it for me. I don't like the chick. Loved the original too.
Having only played the demo I'm afraid I agree. Same with the music. I know the girliness is meant tongue-in-cheek but it's not doing it for me.

The humor from the character remind of the epic/date movie formula, where she doesn't so much make jokes as she does just regurgitate recognizable elements. "Hey, this is a thing that happened! Remember?" It's pretty annoying so I turned the voice off. Problem solved! Also I turned the music off, the game's a good bit less grating now.

The worst thing is the colors: I cannot see the ms. a large portion of the time. There's really no acceptable reason for this. How did this happen? I feel like a large portion of the difficult comes from just not being able to keep track of her.

I still really like the game though.

Wizpig

Guess i'll ask this another time: is the running speed / speed of the game the same as the first one? less fast? more fast? the same?

I hope the answer is "the same!" or "more fast" :p

Wizpig said:
Guess i'll ask this another time: is the running speed / speed of the game the same as the first one? less fast? more fast? the same?

The running speed seems to be either the same or slightly faster.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I didn't think it was hard to track where you were on the world 2 boss, but it was pretty busy looking. While it doesn't work on that level, in a lot of the cases where the camera zooms out you can easily see the glow on the walls from her, helps in multiplayer a lot.

kodecraft

Wizpig said:

This is one of my gripes with the game. Ms. Splosion Man's running speed is slower and her control is a bit tighter/stiff.

I loved the original Splosion Man's speed/fluidity.....felt like Sonic the Hedgehog 2/3/S&K

While Ms. Splosion Man feels like Super Mario World....prettier but slower/stiff.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Wizpig said:

I'd say it's both. Same in some areas and faster in others. The only part where I've felt is seem slow is when I missed a moving platform and had to wait for it to return.

kodecraft said:
This is one of my gripes with the game. Ms. Splosion Man's running speed is slower and her control is a bit tighter/stiff.

I loved the original Splosion Man's speed/fluidity.....felt like Sonic the Hedgehog 2/3/S&K

While Ms. Splosion Man feels like Super Mario World....prettier but slower/stiff.
Huh. I played and finished Splosion the night before this came out and it honestly feels pretty much the same to me.

kodecraft said:
A little slower for me...I played Splosion Man to death and this feels a bit stiff.
As did I. *shrugs*

Wizpig, you can download the trial and play for yourself and see how you feel about the speed.

JonCha

Picked this up (under a fiver?!). Genuinely funny game and characters jokes songs get my every time. It's also pretty hard, which is a nice change.

Everyone should pick this up.

Top Bottom