• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI 9800pro(newegg deal=$165 for RED refurb) safe? Is the green PCB worth $35 extra?

Man, I was just waiting for a chance to bust this out again.
Monks98-1.jpg

Go Red or get a better card.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Monks98-1.jpg

Did you do all the optimizations? Specifically, did you uncompress all the freaking files that ID should have in the 1st place?

marsomega

ravingloon said:
Did you do all the optimizations? Specifically, did you uncompress all the freaking files that ID should have in the 1st place?

He shouldn't need to do that and the new drivers do give a nice boost. Infact, my 9700 PRO handled doom 3 fine at high quality at 1024X768.

A better option would be to wait another month and go for one of the X700 AGP variants.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Seagate 200GB (8MB buffer) can be had for a mere $109.00 w/ free shipping. I bought one at 4am on impulse.

I'm getting this and adding a PCI slot fan next to the card and maybe heatsinks plus thermal tape for the ram.

That's not very smart. A PCI fan (blower) sucks air out the case. A GPU fan on a grfx card pulls air in to cool off the chip. You'll have a tug of war, both cancelling each other out.

Put the blower a few slots away from your grfx card.

ravingloon said:
You know what I did? I installed the game, and ran it on a card running at stock speeds with up to date drivers. Everything was out of the box, so to speak, and the card failed. I got plenty of the infamous white snow artifacts, and then the lockups started. Then artifacts started hitting Windows and GAF. My 9800 Pro was running the ragged edge and Doom3 pushed it over.

Now I always have to say this next part because some guy will come in and insist that it was my fault that two off-the-shelf items did not work correctly. This guy, he'll pretty much only play the heat card, because he only sees the obvious. My response to this guy is ever the same. Same case + hotter CPU (3.4) + hotter GPU (6800GT) = no goddamn problems, in Doom3 or out.

If I can't blame ATI, I'ma blame Sapphire, and the color green.

DaCocoBrova

^^

They're all DX9 cards Einstein. They're not outdated at all.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
You know what I did? I installed the game, and ran it on a card running at stock speeds with up to date drivers. Everything was out of the box, so to speak, and the card failed. I got plenty of the infamous white snow artifacts, and then the lockups started. Then artifacts started hitting Windows and GAF. My 9800 Pro was running the ragged edge and Doom3 pushed it over.

Now I always have to say this next part because some guy will come in and insist that it was my fault that two off-the-shelf items did not work correctly. This guy, he'll pretty much only play the heat card, because he only sees the obvious. My response to this guy is ever the same. Same case + hotter CPU (3.4) + hotter GPU (6800GT) = no goddamn problems, in Doom3 or out.

If I can't blame ATI, I'ma blame Sapphire, and the color green.

Oh, I didn't know these were your problems. I thought you were having framerate issues. That said, I always operated under the assumption Sapphire got ATI's rejects (That ATI couldn't run at the speeds they wanted). Maybe this is false, but it's why I've avoided them.

And while I could have played Doom 3 without the uncompressing, it did make a difference IMO. I'm not even sure I did any of the other optimizations, but uncompressing eliminated the occassional stutter when entering a room/enemy appeared. Completely eliminated.

I'm not sure what DCB was referencing, but CompUSA has an Hitachi Deskstar (IBM's old brand) 160 G hard drive for 59.99 after rebate (7200RPM, 8MB Cache).

DaCocoBrova

I'm not sure what DCB was referencing, but CompUSA has an Hitachi Deskstar (IBM's old brand) 160 G hard drive for 59.99 after rebate (7200RPM, 8MB Cache).

It's that cheap for a reason. Who would be retarded enough to buy a 'Deathstar' anyway. Notoriously sh!tty.

I didn't realize they sucked now. I know when IBM was manufacturing them, a lot of people considered them to be the #1 hard drive you could buy.

Drek

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Monks98-1.jpg

Why in hell did you every buy a Sapphire?

I've always believed that if you want ATi's chipset, by ATi's board, they're just better quality.

Drek said:
Why in hell did you every buy a Sapphire?
Because i had just paid $300 for an ATI 9800 a month earlier and then I saw a Sapphire 9800 PRO for $300 on Newegg. Figured I had nothing to lose.

Plus, I had already tried to overclock my ATI 9800, which didn't like it, and I read up on the superior Samsung RAM that was used in the Sapphire Pros.

'Course, I never did overclock either 98 for reals, I just wanted the overhead if i needed it.

Lesson learned and repeated at every opportunity.

marsomega

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Good enough to add to my rhetoric.
Nalu > Ruby

Double Cross > Nalu. Nalu runs at best 15 to 19 fps on a 6800 GT. The Ruby demo has lots going on and silky smooth. The Double Cross is just the all around better demo.

Chimp Demo > Dawn (I like Dawn, except that besides her model there is nothing else)

Off to the pits with you to loathe with N-V. Hee hee :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Enjoy your X700 OpenGL performance. Hee hee

Ha ha, I'm sure he will considering how many PC games use OpenGL these days...

Games like Doom 3, Quake 4, errr...probably some other game or two. I dunno, I give up... ;)

the X700 will only be available in PCI Express versions

AGP, people. I'm operating in AGP, and I'm sure other people upgrading their video don't want new MOBO's yet. Maybe in a year and a half a whole system upgrade would work, but getting a PCI express mobo, a new cpu, and an X700 would be silly for most that don't yet have a PCI-E slot. Grr. I thought the X700 was an attractive part, but not if it's only in PCI-E.

It looks to me that today's linup of games don't even need the power of the $300+ cards, and that $200 is the sweet spot. Hell, I don't see evidence to get rid of my Geforce4 4200 yet. I don't play Doom3 or use 4XAA enough to justify a new GPU.

Brofist

Just FYI, I ordered a refurbished mobo from Newegg about a year back, and it was DOA. When I returned it, they charged me a restocking charge. That f'ing pissed me off, especially since Newegg has been flawless in all the times I've ordered from them (which is alot).

Top Bottom