• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Munchies: This Startup Is Making Dairy Milk Without Cows

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they can make milk taste like milk, but infused with Vit. B12 then I'd fuck with it

Otherwise it's Soy Milk alternating with Cravendale for me

By "real" milk proteins... if it doesn't come from a Cow, is it just from another animal?

Read the article. The proteins are synthesized.

I still don't get how or why such a highly synhetical, heavily processed product should replace one of the most common and available foods on this planet.

Because cows are expensive in terms of resources and space invested. This could (eventually) be cheaper, and animal cruelty free, since no animals are involved.

nynt9

Except it clearly says they're creating the milk proteins on their own.

Ok but what does "dairy yeast" (their ingredient) mean? I've searched for it and can't find any meaningful references to it. How is it made? What is it? Where does it come from? They say their "dairy yeast" is sourced by the USDA.

Misha

Banned
Sounds like they're aiming for other dairy products too. Sounds great to me as someone who's lactose intolerant but isn't into milk.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Will it work the same way with cooking? That'd be my only concern. Maybe it burns faster or something.

Ok but what does "dairy yeast" (their ingredient) mean? I've searched for it and can't find any meaningful references to it. How is it made? What is it? Where does it come from? They say their "dairy yeast" is sourced by the USDA.

Dairy yeast is most likely a proprietary term that refers to the specific strain of yeast that use in the process. Wouldn't be surprised if it is patented etc.

Will it work the same way with cooking? That'd be my only concern. Maybe it burns faster or something.

Protein is protein. If it has the same structure, it will cook the same. No idea if the plant sugars or fats will affect cooking chemistry but I doubt it, people substitute those all the time.

nomis

Hey! Milk without included pus that oozed out of some blistered infected bovine teat

Much more appetizing.

geestack

raising and keeping livestock has a very large cost on the environment. cows need water, feed, housing, and machinery to process milk. cows also produce methane which contributes to climate change.

if you synthesize the milk, you don't need the cow. the implications for the environment (and global warming) would be big if they could scale it up and sell it competitively. that of course, is the trick.

SRG01

raising and keeping livestock has a very large cost on the environment. cows need water, feed, housing, and machinery to process milk. cows also produce methane which contributes to climate change.

if you synthesize the milk, you don't need the cow. the implications for the environment (and global warming) would be big if they could scale it up and sell it competitively. that of course, is the trick.

Scale is the easy part, since it's essentially a chemical process...

Owari

Interesting, this could destroy other alternative milks like Soy if it turns out good.
Destroy? There are still millions of vegan/lactose intolerant people who might disagree.

Anyway this sounds weird and expensive. If you don't want to drink pus and gross stuff don't drink animal products. The alternatives taste much better.

Don't cows contribute a lot to methane in the atmosphere?

Either way this is cool news - I'd rather the mass produced stuff not contain a boat load of antibiotics from stressed out factory cows.

jelly

5366558_std.jpg

tumblr_mdaxruWyyg1rjncido1_500.jpg

joe2187

Banned
Destroy? There are still millions of vegan/lactose intolerant people who might disagree.

Anyway this sounds weird and expensive. If you don't want to drink pus and gross stuff don't drink animal products. The alternatives taste much better.

Im lactose intolerant. And almond, soy, silk whatever taste like shit juice.

I still drink 2% and eat dairy regularly no matter how many times i gotta take a dank droopy shit each day than drink the alternative.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I have been told time and time again that a plant substitute "tastes as good as real milk". And every time I try it I realize it's a lie. Soy, Almond, etc. are nowhere close to tasting as good as real milk. Let's see if this will be different.

As a vegetarian those people are misguided IMO. What they probably mean is, "a different thing that I like about the same"

Obviously it doesn't taste the same, but for me Almond/coconut milk (it's a blend) is something I like just as much as milk. I wouldn't claim it tastes the same.

Really this discussion always breaks down for me mentally, because to me a good veggie burger (as a random example) is a tasty thing I didn't mind back when I was a carnivore. never really go into a meal expecting it to taste like a different meal.

Stasis

Dairy is unfortunately quite a cruel industry. No matter how well the cows are kept they have to be forcefully inseminated, and their offspring gets taken away from them soon after they are born which is traumatic for both the baby and the mother cow. The male calves are then sold as veal and the female calves turned into dairy cows like their mothers, repeating the whole cycle. When the cows stop producing as much milk, they're slaughtered.

If we could still have milk without making animals go through all that suffering, why wouldn't we? Add in the environmental benefits and it's a no-brainer to me.

This. I have trouble becoming a vegetarian as much as I'd love to (I do plan to try more seriously soon). Any alternative to these foods without animal cruelty and even a 70% resemblance to the real deal I am 100% switching. Long as I can afford it of course!

Derwind

Nothing definitive in my statement, I just said that if it turns out to be a good replacement to dairy milk it could destroy other alternatives.

Also why would this not be vegan friendly, when it is entirely plant based? And why would it have to be bad for lactose intolerant people(even advertises as lactose free in the article)?

:/

Futureman

i really hope they just market it as malk

"Similar to dairy alternatives, our milk is vegan, lactose-free, safer, and more humane than cow’s milk made from factory farming. But because we use real milk proteins to craft our products, we’re able to achieve the same delicious taste, texture, and versatility of cow’s milk, while being nutritionally superior in every way."

Ty4on

Interesting. I've been trying to reduce the amount of food from animals I eat, but I really like milk and haven't found a good alternative.

Stanng243

This just seems disgusting and wrong. Their is nothing wrong with milk from the cow. The only way to get better milk is to get is fresher, straight from the cow is best..

Futureman

I thought this was interesting from Perfect Day's FAQ page:

"Two scientists discovered that calm, happy cows produce the most milk. And cows are happier when they listen to music! One of the songs that made cows produce the most milk was the song ‘Perfect Day’ by Lou Reed. (Who knew cows were so cool?) As a company on a mission to make cows, people, and the planet happier, it seemed like a perfect fit."

J4g3r

The Americans already ruined it. Shit chocolate now.

Kraft ruined any Cadbury's chocolate that isn't marked as "Dairy Milk" - That's the only recipe they haven't screwed with.

Have you seen what they did to Timeouts? Wars have been started for less.
/s

DrSlek

Dairy is unfortunately quite a cruel industry. No matter how well the cows are kept they have to be forcefully inseminated, and their offspring gets taken away from them soon after they are born which is traumatic for both the baby and the mother cow. The male calves are then sold as veal and the female calves turned into dairy cows like their mothers, repeating the whole cycle. When the cows stop producing as much milk, they're slaughtered.

If we could still have milk without making animals go through all that suffering, why wouldn't we? Add in the environmental benefits and it's a no-brainer to me.

So what happens to dairy cows when they're no longer needed? They're a domesticated species, and are poorly suited to life in the wild.

So what happens to dairy cows when they're no longer needed? They're a domesticated species, and are poorly suited to life in the wild.

They're not going to breed the same number of cows if demand decreases, and it won't be such a sudden shift that there won't be time to react.

Anyway, this is pretty neat.

smurfx

get some go again
what about the shelf life for this milk? if it lasts longer then it might make a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom