• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My African Safari Adventure, an Afrika play diary. Image-heavy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mmrmKYa.png

I had never worked as a photographer before, so imagine my surprise when I got an email inviting me to travel to a remote sub-Saharan portion of Africa to document the local wildlife. I'm not the kind of guy who turns down an invitation like that so I took my entry level Tsetse camera and set off. First, my partner and I met up with James, our local tour guide, and pitched a forward operating base in a wide open steppe called Duma Steppe. We brought a beat-up old Suzuki Jimny to get around the rugged terrain. And that was the beginning of a three-month long Safari adventure! (Three months? It didn't feel that long to me. Felt more like 25 hours, give or take, to 100% completion)

eWNNd4k.png

For the first few days, James drove me around to some of the landmarks of Duma (Swahili for "cheetah") Steppe. I wasn't used to driving the Suzuki and was still getting practice with my camera. Since my camera was kind of crummy we didn't do anything fancy. I did get this great shot of a hippo yawning:
bh4jK7J.png

Probably the highlight of the early days was going out with James and watching a cheetah take down a gazelle. He drove while I took pictures. Nature can be pretty violent, but it's all part of the circle of life.
kHwmF7H.png
ufWblmw.png
FDzN84P.png
EAD3RCJ.png

All the photos I sent back to my employer were graded on angle, distance from subject, clarity of subject, and photographic technique. When I submitted great photos, I got paid handsomely, but when I submitted terrible photos, they really stiffed me. Along with my main job photographing and documenting all the local wildlife, I took some contract jobs on the side so I could afford new camera equipment, not to mention better coats of paint for the Suzuki! For one of those side jobs, I had to climb a tree to get a close-up shot of a giraffe eating:
Te4zDES.png

As time went on, we moved into other areas. Kiboko (Swahili for "Hippopotamus") Swamp had a lot of bird life, marshy vegetation, and lots of interesting trees. I watched a herd of elephants cross the swamp. Here's a Mama elephant helping a baby up onto a muddy island:
6sPoWyN.png

All work and no play wouldn't be any fun, so sometimes I goofed off a little. Can you believe that they have trees big enough to fit in? These trees are called Baobabs.
ehGuMSG.png

From there we went on to Choroa (Swahili for "Oryx") Gorge, a sort of desert area home to meerkats who are super shy, I had to use my remote trap camera to get a good picture. There were also ostriches and here I've included a photo of their goofy mating dance which as you can see didn't work on the female they were trying to woo. I also caught a brief glimpse of the rare king cheetah on top of a mountain.
VXK6Rec.png
s7ORZuC.png
Dfjh1kf.png
IMxSukx.png
NzATwK8.png

The highlight of Choroa Gorge was definitely Polepole (Swahili for "gentle") falls, home to some fiercely protective elephants. One of them gored me, but I just woke up at base camp safe and sound... strangely the pictures I had taken that day were erased off my memory card. A magazine paid me to take pictures of my whip in front of the falls -- check out my sweet zebra paint.
mDPHV5Y.png

We went to Lake Heroe (Swahili for "flamingo"), which featured a huge mountain we could hike up called Mount Hakunamatata (Swahili for "no problem"). On the mountain I managed to find a Rainbow Agama, which was gorgeous. The Lake was home to an enormous population of Flamingos. Behind the lake I found a shaded area that was home to Baboons (by far the worst, most angry animal I encountered on my journeys).
HN8X6qb.png
z8ld8M4.png
hvB1jgK.png
TUYp4n9.png
IwCq7tW.png
jjWOD18.png
n22L1Er.png
T4kJS8Z.png

There was also a leopard, who was not afraid to hunt. He made short work of an antelope, can you believe the leopard actually drags its dead prey up into the trees it sits in?
uRQIQH4.png
Ma5UQET.png
k3S3V7h.png

James took me out to Kiwanja (Swahili for "field") Plain, a wide open grasslands that featured a number of rocks called Kopjes (Dutch or Afrikaans for "little head"). One, called Simba Kopje was an awesome climb. Side-note: Simba is just swahili for Lion. How lazy are Disney, am I right? I saw lions, reticulated giraffes, a herd of wildebeests, and an African crocodile which was so dangerous I had to use a remote controlled car with a mounted camera to get close.
mtPet22.png
25Qdz5k.png
zKj2kuD.png
bxNGgAH.png
iwRSh3G.png
KbI0Xky.png

This one got me a cover of National Geographic, so I'm pretty proud of it:
hskwr3V.png

The Wildebeest herd crossing a river:
uc2PMcA.png
P2WLC4J.png

I couldn't resist grabbing a shot of myself near Simba Kopje:
eucray5.png

I also met a boy from the local Maasai tribe. He mostly spoke Swahili but was able to help me find some of the animals I was looking for. He didn't feel like a fake or Hollywood patronizing depiction of an African tribesman, it felt like the developers did research in order to get this portrayal right. I got this close-up shot for a magazine special on Maasai tribes.
1pH9q5h.png

Looking back on it all, the highlights of my Safari were definitely some of the riskiest contract jobs I took. To name a few, trying to get a picture of a Zebra rearing back for National Geographic's "Another side of Herbivores" issue; watching two giraffes "neck", which is a kind of fighting where they whip their necks at each other; using a gun mic to record elephant trumpeting without getting gored to death; retrieving a crittercam a previous team left on a lioness; being chased by an elephant when I got too close; watching a lion take down a zebra. Probably the single scariest moment was when a cheetah actually jumped up on our Suzuki while I was hiding in the bushes trying to get a shot.
OM98S72.png
EYzbgZg.png
LDwn5b8.png
OWn2j6p.png
aWQ59qk.png
yIwmTm6.png
zsnKnAk.png
2wVuPiA.png

Nature is so interesting. One thing that I learned was that sometimes there's strength in numbers. I watched hyenas steal a dead antelope from a cheetah and baboons chase out a leopard. Even when a lion attacks a zebra, it uses other lions to divert one zebra from the herd to be able to pick it off more easily. It doesn't always work though, as a croc easily pulled a wildebeest out of the herd.
UcxBnEV.png
gU5CKK4.png

Sometimes we safaried at night to get some rare nocturnal specimens. I never quite mastered night-time photography, I couldn't get the exposure settings right and the shutter speed was so slow. Also, my headlamp scared the animals away quite a lot:
xRslVg1.png
9aSl0Nk.png
gCSLhRm.png
u4Tnpbd.png
mZMBtyo.png

Near the end of our safari we found a series of large animal tracks. We then found evidence that something enormous was eating some of the buffalo. We wondered if it might have been an undiscovered species. We also found this old indigenous drawing that suggested a mighty creature was once present in the area. We spent a lot of time wondering what it could be.
9M8cen5.png
39uZZpX.png
GLZHK1K.png

On my last day, James took me out to Kiwanja Plain for a hot air balloon ride. It was an amazing experience. I brought my telephoto zoom lens. I should since I've just say that started getting paid I've only bought Sony Alpha products, which I whole-heartedly recommend! These are taken mostly from a 300mm f/2.8 G SSM II fixed zoom lens on a Sony Alpha 700 body.
QNLTKgV.png
0J6OsNq.png
lD8Z2Ou.png
zkyYIfS.png
rRJpfNh.png

As we drifted over Simba Kopje, we finally caught sight what was behind the tracks and the dead buffalo... an enormous Barbary Lion, thought extinct in the wild for a hundred years. Its roar was powerful. I couldn't get the best shot, so I'm not sure if my colleagues will believe me, but I know myself that what I saw was a Barbary Lion, and it's the only explanation.
gUPlFaK.png

Being a part of this safari was a real pleasure. It was rewarding seeing my photos next to real National Geographic photos and video, seeing my shots on magazine covers, learning about species that I photographed, watching all of the animals hilarious idiosyncrasies. It wasn't perfect: there were some crummy ground textures, the incredibly long amount of time it took to permanently save all of my photos and progress into my journal every few days, and awkward controls (especially that Suzuki, hoo boy that thing handles badly). Also, I think to really love the game, you need the patience to accept the fact that waiting in hiding for the perfect moment to take the perfect photo might take a while. I loved it. The game also comes with tons of HD video and pictures from National Geographic's archives, as well as a 3d model viewer and a soundtrack replay option.

Your mileage may vary, as it is a bit of a clunky mess and how well you tolerate that is going to vary depending on the kind of player you are. I'll also add that almost no American outlets reviewed this game. IGN's review (3.5/10) shows literally no evidence of having playing the game for more than an hour. The "guided tour" lasts maybe 30 minutes of a 25 hour game; camera upgrades make the shutter speed faster by putting aperture, exposure, and shutter speed under your control; James doesn't disappear; you don't just do one specific quest at a time; you get the hang of the jeep; most animals do lots of different things depending on context; only about half the big-game photo ops tell you your best photo. Every example provided and every animal mentioned in the review happens in the first hour of the game. Also, just subjectively, the orchestral score is really gorgeous and is part of Video Games Live's rotation--IGN gave the sound category a 3.5/10 because the in-game dialogue between humans doesn't have voice acting. So, yeah, great job IGN.

PlayStation Lifestyle's review is worse as it literally gave up in the first 30 minutes, since they claim that the game forces you only to go to the area where your active mission takes place, and that's something that's only true for the first 5 or so missions out of 120+ (thus when they complain about the camera controls, they're also complaining about only the first of several cameras, which doesn't have exposure or shutter control). It's quite possible they wrote their final review out of a brief hands-on before the game's release. Do I think reviewers need to finish every game they don't like? No. But do I think reviewers need to play more than an hour so that they don't accidentally write a review where literally everything they say is solved in-game after they gave up? Yes. 1up's review at least suggested they got pretty far in the game, so for that they deserve credit.

If you're the kind of person who is looking for a different experience than just touring through a warzone as ultra-nukes detonate the Space Empire State Building around you and you wait for your colleagues to breach a door so you can slow-mo kill the Communist Super-Terrorists inside with a sick headshot blasts from your M4, I really recommend an African safari with Afrika on PS3.
Ck8M3mn.png

besada

Banned
I played this when it came out and really enjoyed it. Seeing your photos makes me want to hook up my PS3 and dig out the disc. I never got around to finishing, so I never saw the Barbary Lion.

badgenome

I liked Afrika quite a lot myself. It was certainly rough around the edges, but what it lacked in polish it more than made up for by being an indelible experience. Good on Natsume for localizing it. I really wish the Aquanaut's Holiday remake had made it over here.

Also: ur picturs is purdy

I can't judge the game since I never played it, but I remember when this came out people were really excited by how good it looked. Such great graphics and all...

6 years (?) later, that looks bad... at least in stills.

That was quite a nice read. I can tell you had a lot of fun with it. Great shots too.

That and Auquanaut's Holiday are two games I should invest some more time into for relaxation. I never got beyond the initial hippo area.

Cade

Great writeup. Sounds like quite a bit of fun, all things considered. If I ever see a copy for cheaper than it looks to be going now, I'll probably pick it up.

I like the idea of the game, but at this point I would rather have a PS4 version. And maybe set in Jurassic Park or something.

Not to burst your bubble but I sold mine last year for $70. It's one of those games from what I've seen.

Wow, yeah... it's going for quite a bit on amazon. Is it available digitally?

I'm still pissed that the stupid patch for stupid fucking Resistance 3 corrupted my HDD a few years back and wiped my save.

As cool as Afrika is, Aquanaut's Holiday dude. All of the exploration with a dash of Japanese craziness and decent controls. Too bad it's super spendy now.

reminder

One of the best games from last gen imo. Sadly, the asian version i imported ("Hakuna Matata") never got a trophy patch, while the US version had trophies implemented when it finally was released there.

Still, loved the game although it had some flaws.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can't judge the game since I never played it, but I remember when this came out people were really excited by how good it looked. Such great graphics and all...

6 years (?) later, that looks bad... at least in stills.

There was a pretty significant visual downgrade from the initial reveal and 2006-2007 previews to the released product in 2008. It's most visible in the sparsity of vegetation and the terrible ground textures, especially at night. The game also has a truly bizarre approach to LOD (LOD is where things that are further away use lower quality models than things that are close, to save memory)--it seems to use full quality models, but lowers the number of frames that are animated, so stuff that's far away looks very chopping. Despite the visual downgrade, the framerate remains a total mess.

I find that in shots that focus specifically on the creatures, the game looks pretty good. The animal skin and fur textures and shaders look great, and each successive camera and lens upgrade really brings out more detail. The skyboxes are also incredible looking, and the way the sun and level of light interacts with the photos are great.

I'm a pretty crummy photographer, but the game lets you do manual focus, aperture, shutter speed, and gamma/exposure compensation so I think a good photographer could get some really great stylized photos out of it. The non-American versions of the game had an online mode, but it closed in early 2010 I believe. Pity, I'd really like to see some of the best photos from people other than me.

In this super macro photo of a dung beetle, you can see how great the models are compared to the world textures:
wjNpebT.png

Side note: Watching the National Geographic video of the dung beetle was hilarious. They actually team up and walk on their front legs while using their butt and back legs to roll a ball of poop around. What the hell, nature, what the hell.

One of the best games from last gen imo. Sadly, the asian version i imported ("Hakuna Matata") never got a trophy patch, while the US version had trophies implemented when it finally was released there.

I also played the English-Korean version, because I imported it before it came out in the US. My backlog sometimes takes a while to get around to. Looks like it took me 4 years and 11 months from date of purchase to play this. I don't really mind the lack of trophies, but this would have been my first PS3 platinum if I did play the US version, as I 100%'d it, all animals, found the hidden bottle, etc.

Piccoro

Wow, I never know this game was so detailed! Looks awesome.

Shame that the game never came out here in Europe.
Or in Africa, for that matter, hah...

I'll walk myself out...

Famassu

I want a new-gen version of a game like this. Afrika on PS3 can be pretty good looking at times (especially the animals, less so the environments), so imagine how a game like this could look if Sony or some other publisher put out a PC, PS4 and/or Xbone animal photography game.

Damn, crazy how much the price has jumped in the two years since I got my copy. Wonder why.

EDIT: Nevermind, used prices are still decent. Seems like AH dropped quite a bit too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did they ever patch in the option to invert Y-Axis?

I can't speak to the US version but I don't think the Asian English version, which I played, was patched. I'm not an invert guy either, but even if you are a big invert guy, it's a pretty slow and contemplative game and you can use features like continuous shooting to compensate for issues of precision in terms of framing, so I think most people who play inverted camera would have less trouble with this game than with something that requires faster reflexes.

Damn, crazy how much the price has jumped in the two years since I got my copy. Wonder why.

Natsume shipped like 5 copies. They don't even have the game listed on their website. If Sony had published it, I suspect the price would be much lower.

I picked this up on eBay sadly I got the non trophy version and didn't feel the game and it didn't have the pull for me to try anything. It's sitting there gathering dust now lol

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I can't speak to the US version but I don't think the Asian English version, which I played, was patched. I'm not an invert guy either, but even if you are a big invert guy, it's a pretty slow and contemplative game and you can use features like continuous shooting to compensate for issues of precision in terms of framing, so I think most people who play inverted camera would have less trouble with this game than with something that requires faster reflexes.

I still have the game. I didn't play it much because not being able to adjust to a lack of inverted control made for a god-awful time trying to get good photos.

Cade

The game also has a truly bizarre approach to LOD (LOD is where things that are further away use lower quality models than things that are close, to save memory)--it seems to use full quality models, but lowers the number of frames that are animated, so stuff that's far away looks very chopping.

Dark Souls II does this, at least on PC. It's very odd.

The Llama

Would be cool to see a PS4 version of this with better graphics. But as it is, I can't see myself playing through a safari game with those graphics.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How does it compare to Pokemon snap?

It's not on rails, it's more like an open world-ish game, it's about 8-10 times as long, you have much more control over the camera and thus it comes much closer to a photography sim and requires a more realistic approach to taking photos, you take pictures of real animals instead of Pokemon, there's a full day-night sim... other than both being about taking photos, there's really no comparison.

Would be cool to see a PS4 version of this with better graphics. But as it is, I can't see myself playing through a safari game with those graphics.

Well, Rhino Studios (who developed the game) supported SCE Japan Studio on Knack. So they still exist and they still have a working relationship with Sony. Whether or not that bodes well for them getting the chance to explore photography sims again, I don't know.

iNvid02

i always wanted to play this, was going to import it but it slowly got pushed out by the 09 behemoths. maybe when it hits playstation now.

Briarios

I sold my copy of Aquanaut's Holiday for a ridiculous amount ... It's definitely worth playing, but not at the cost of what I sold it for. Never understood why it didn't get a US release since there was already an English version.

I picked up the import version of Afrika and really enjoyed it, as well. If you're on the fence, it's a worthwhile experience.

How is the music?

The music is amazing.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vrN72krgCEI

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I should also add that I went through a bunch of GAF threads related to this game when I was deciding whether or not to make my own thread or just post some pictures in an older thread... and as far as I can tell, no one on GAF got past the first hour of the game or so. Even in the OT, such as it was, it's mostly people discussing the first few missions. Really too bad.

How is the music?

When you are walking around, typically no music plays so you get a kind of quiet tension. When you're in your jeep or when you're doing what the game calls a "big-game moment" (there are 20 of these), you get this swelling, really wonderful fully orchestrated music that I'd compare to Disney World's fireworks music or something like that, maybe even a little John Williams.

When you submit photos for grading, you either get little musical ditties that convey either "Yay! Great photo! Feel good about yourself!" or "You are a failure, why did you submit this, you failure". The latter is predictably basoon/tuba heavy.

There aren't a ton of tracks, but the ones that are there don't get old and really contribute positively to the game's mood. As I note in the original post, Video Games Live sometimes plays some of the pieces from the game. The end credits of the game start out with overlaying a bunch of cool photos taken by the dev team, but about half-way through cut to video of the orchestra playing the music. Very neat touch.

Great thread. It reminded me of finally giving the game a serious try; it's been sitting on my shelf for a while now and I've only messed up a bit with the first couple of assignments. My daughter played it for a while and liked it a good deal. Hunting down a copy of this game is one of my past console generation proud moments.

If only I could do the same for Aquanaut's Holiday.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also what are the difference between the import version and the US version? Just language? How heavy is the barrier to the experience?

The Asian (Korean or Chinese) English version is in English. There are some grammar errors ("Make sure to check you email") but most stuff is translated well, it's vastly better than the Asian-English version of Aquanaut's Holiday in that respect. The Japanese version is in Japanese. If you are going to import, make sure you get the Asian English version.

The main differences between the import version and the US local version:
- US version has trophies, import version does not
- US version has no online functionality, import version did have online photo competitions but it closed down in 2010.
- The JPN version is called Afrika, the Asian versions are called Hakuna Matata, and the US version is called Afrika.
- The manual for the import version will not be in English, but you don't need a manual.

Holy shit I am blown away. Can I just buy the OST? Is it even available for sale? I've got some research to do!

Also what are the difference between the import version and the US version? Just language? How heavy is the barrier to the experience?

You can buy the OST but it's OOP and pricey.

AFAIK the only major differences are the title and trophy support. EDIT beeeeaaaat

Raven77

The game is utterly fantastic. I played the Korean / English version called Hakuna Matata or something like that. Does the US Retail release differ in any way?

If you really dug the aspects of POKEMON SNAP that pertained to getting the right shot at the right time at just the right angle for it to be perfect, then you'll really enjoy this game I think.

It puts you into situations and makes you figure out the best way to get the shot, the best timing (you never know what might happen in the wild), distance, etc. so in those ways it differs from Pokemon Snap, you aren't on rails a lot.

However, I think the comparison is at least partially warranted. Get this game if you love animals - photography - unique gaming experiences.

I also want to give a shout out to Aquanauts Holiday. If you can get the Korean version it is fully in English and is a mind blowing experience for nature / animal lovers. You aren't taking photo's to advance, etc. but it is a real gem if you can get a hold of it.

Top Bottom