• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My African Safari Adventure, an Afrika play diary. Image-heavy.

JP

While we're at it, i hope there is a chance for a new Afrika/Aquanaut's Holiday with Project Morpheus support.
Just thinking about this! Would love to get stuff like this on Project Morpheus, stuff that moves away from the more traditional games. It's a bit of a shame that this never hot the PSN Store as Aquanaut's Holiday did eventually.

Raven77

While we're at it, i hope there is a chance for a new Afrika/Aquanaut's Holiday with Project Morpheus support.

Oh...oh my...that would just be amazing. Especially in Aquanauts if you could control the direction of the submarine with the direction your looking, etc.

whelp... now I'm going to dust my English-Korean "Hakuna Matata" off and replay, thanks to Stump.

I got this and Aquanaut's in an amazing sale at the time ($20 for each; full English) and love both.

I hope Sony commits to more of these kinds of games for the new gen. I know ArtDink was listed on the PS4-support list, but even though they aren't a AAA developer they still made a phenomenal AH game for PS3.
The poster that recommended a Jurassic Park-like AFRIKA game has the right idea. That would be fucking amazing. :D

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Asian (Korean or Chinese) English version is in English. There are some grammar errors ("Make sure to check you email") but most stuff is translated well, it's vastly better than the Asian-English version of Aquanaut's Holiday in that respect. The Japanese version is in Japanese. If you are going to import, make sure you get the Asian English version.

The main differences between the import version and the US local version:
- US version has trophies, import version does not
- US version has no online functionality, import version did have online photo competitions but it closed down in 2010.
- The JPN version is called Afrika, the Asian versions are called Hakuna Matata, and the US version is called Afrika.
- The manual for the import version will not be in English, but you don't need a manual.

You can buy the OST but it's OOP and pricey.

AFAIK the only major differences are the title and trophy support. EDIT beeeeaaaat

Awesome thanks guys! Now I gotta consider if I wanna drop 50 mangos on this thing, since that seems to be the going rate for the import copy.

I don't quite mind lack of trophy support but it is a bummer that it isn't there, but definitely not something worth paying 50 extra over (seriously the only US copy I saw on ebay was fucking 108 dollars)

Guess I won't be getting the OST then, as I can't even find it online ;_:

Great thread. I've always loved this game.

Actually I helped create a PDF mission guide with a couple of others on Gamefaqs back when it first came out. If anybody in this thread who was tempted to buy it gets stuck, I'd be happy to share it, just send me a PM.

Edit: And yeah, that IGN review was awful.

I imported the Korean versions of this (Hakuna Matata) and Aquanaut's Holiday as a game-starved PS3 owner back in 2009 and of course played neither. Amazing thread, Stump. While you may not get me to actually play this game (I have... problems), you've at least got me thinking about it and wanting to.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Such a marvellous game. Wish there were more like these.

Corto

Great travelogue Stump. I'm currently working my way through my PS3 backlog with Valkyria Chronicles and this will be my next game for sure. I remember playing the first hour or so and enjoying it but something shiny and new got me off track. Please, if you've got the time I would love to read more of these long form LTTP threads from you.

Tohsaka

I rented this years back, and enjoyed what I played of it. I might try and track down a copy if I can find one for a reasonable price, though like others have said it's kind of pricey now.

Might as well throw in a couple of my shots:

PqNmjIO.png

dODEtNo.png

IzegXLQ.png

I used to amuse myself by setting up the TrapCam, hiding and waiting for the pygmy hippo to come out, and then sprinting up to it to get a picture with it before it ran away.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pygmy Hippo is a right bastard, because you can't even chase him when he runs into the deep swamp and the trap cam's range is terrible so if you do scare him, it's basically impossible to get far enough away that he'll come back without being out of range of the trap cam. You can hide in those bushes near the trap site but it doesn't give you good visibility for your timing. That pic is awesome, amazed you managed to dash that close to him!

Your baboon picture reminds me of this RC Cam Baboon shot I got:
SRWdvn0.png

canedaddy

Nice thread. I had a lot of fun with the game but never made it to the end… did not know about the balloon, very cool.

Excellent point about the reviews, too. I can't think of any clearer examples of reviewers not having played more than a few minutes of a game. Ridiculous.

This is encouraging me to dig out my copy.

totally. for some reason i love seeing this game resurfacing, even though i've never played my copy :D i will.. some day. i did play Aquanaut's Holiday though. did not like it very much.. it was just very odd. it's got a goofy new-age vibe going on that just doesn't work for me.

it's really sad that we're probably not getting these types of games anymore :( i still remember those first trailers for Afrika (it was supposed to look like THIS, dammit) and Aquanaut's Holiday, they looked fucking incredible... the massive downgrade really hurt me, even more than the Motorstorm and Killzone 2 fake trailers. yea i'm still a bit bitter.

Stumpokapow, the first post reminds me a lot of the good ol days in the Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 official forums where a lot of people did a diary of construction of their parks, telling stories as if the were the managers of the parks, usually the best ones were small family ones that get bigger as years passed.

From what I see this game is similar to Endless Ocean no?

Pygmy Hippo is a right bastard, because you can't even chase him when he runs into the deep swamp and the trap cam's range is terrible so if you do scare him, it's basically impossible to get far enough away that he'll come back without being out of range of the trap cam. You can hide in those bushes near the trap site but it doesn't give you good visibility for your timing. That pic is awesome, amazed you managed to dash that close to him!

Your baboon picture reminds me of this RC Cam Baboon shot I got:
SRWdvn0.png

Ah nice, IIRC that's in the fever tree area of Kiboko...I remember not realizing that the baboons would suddenly appear there. The game is full of little surprises like that; animals moving between areas and such.

I got lucky with the pygmy hippo, you're right, by far the most skittish animal!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From what I see this game is similar to Endless Ocean no?

The two have a similar appeal--calm, reflective, exploratory, loosely structured, serene--although the way they're implemented is quite different. Afrika's photography elements are really quite deep compared to Endless Ocean's, while Endless Ocean has more interaction with the marine life directly. I know EO2 has more photography stuff, but still not quite like this.

Ah nice, IIRC that's in the fever tree area of Kiboko...I remember not realizing that the baboons would suddenly appear there. The game is full of little surprises like that; animals moving between areas and such.

I loved how Lake Heroe would have flamingos some days and not others, how missions impacted the distribution of animals, and how some animals were only available early in the morning, requiring you to camp out in the areas. I actually loved the way the world was put together. Starting at home base every morning, going down that hill, deciding if I was going left or right, scheduling my objectives for the day, having to go through the Baboon area to get the Suzuki around Mount Hakunamatata. I feel like I know the layout of this game far better than the vast majority I've played because of that "routine". Y2Kev made a thread like 3 years ago on "games with a sense of 'home'" and I think Afrika would be a great candidate for that.

it's really sad that we're probably not getting these types of games anymore :( i still remember those first trailers for Afrika (it was supposed to look like THIS, dammit) and Aquanaut's Holiday, they looked fucking incredible... the massive downgrade really hurt me, even more than the Motorstorm and Killzone 2 fake trailers. yea i'm still a bit bitter.

Looking at this trailer, the major downgrades appear to be:
- Density of grass and vegetation
- Quality of surface textures
- Fluidity of idle animations in animals, along with removal of most animal walking sounds and most dust or impact type particle effects when they walk
- Size of hordes (in the finished game you can get maybe 50 or 60 animals in a wildebeest horde; more in the flamingo flocks, but they're mostly non-interactive)
- IQ

The actual animal models and textures seem pretty similar in the final game. I'd say the Wild Dogs actually look better in the finished game.

Jb

This is such a great concept for a game, I really wish Sony or someone else would have the balls to announce something similar on current-gen, maybe on a smaller scale and free to play. A huge part of the appeal of nature documentaries is the beauty it depicts, so this is a case where actually being able to have better vegetation, lighting and 3D models would tremendously increase the quality of the game.

The two have a similar appeal--calm, reflective, exploratory, loosely structured, serene--although the way they're implemented is quite different. Afrika's photography elements are really quite deep compared to Endless Ocean's, while Endless Ocean has more interaction with the marine life directly. I know EO2 has more photography stuff, but still not quite like this.

Interesting, thanks for the info!

dolabla

I bought the Chinese/English version (it's called Hakuna Matata, lol). It's a very interesting game. I enjoyed it.

Audioboxer

If Sony wasn't Sony they'd put this and Aquanaut's Holiday on PSN. Easy money from the small hardcore audience that wants them.

Pretty hard to find the US version of this (it has trophies). I want both but have neither.

If Sony wasn't Sony they'd put this and Aquanaut's Holiday on PSN. Easy money from the small hardcore audience that wants them...

would be nice (own & love both, btw). but would've been even nicer if they'd just localized both initially. 2 gorgeous, showpiece, non-violent family games...

i can almost/sorta understand sony passing on demon's souls (tho not really :) ). but these 2 games? what in the fuck were they thinking?...

Epcott

Oh wow, blast from the past. I miss this game.

Would kill for an PS4 super HD version or remake with better textures and grass physics for the ground. I still remember those sexy zebra asses passing by in the PS3 active wallpaper.

I don't know how this game has eluded me for so long. It's so fucking expensive nowadays...

Anyway, i should make a thread about my photojournalistic travels in Bully. Probably my favorite, if not the best camera mode of all time.

CNCOMICS

As a NatGeo and Nova watcher, I'm disappointed that I haven't given Afrika a glance. Thanks OP! -doing the job that marketers/PR's failed to do!

AngerdX

Nicely done, you seriously made me hate myself for skipping over this game, now i can just hope it becomes available with PSNow. :)

randomkid

stump this game was $15 at the bookoff I was at yesterday and all your stupid (wonderful) thread has done is make me feel extra bad about passing it over, please notify on twitter next time, thanx

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Keep hoping for a next-gen Endless Ocean with Oculus Rift support. Or at least something done in the same style since I assume Nintendo owns the EO franchise.

I loved how Lake Heroe would have flamingos some days and not others, how missions impacted the distribution of animals, and how some animals were only available early in the morning, requiring you to camp out in the areas. I actually loved the way the world was put together. Starting at home base every morning, going down that hill, deciding if I was going left or right, scheduling my objectives for the day, having to go through the Baboon area to get the Suzuki around Mount Hakunamatata. I feel like I know the layout of this game far better than the vast majority I've played because of that "routine". Y2Kev made a thread like 3 years ago on "games with a sense of 'home'" and I think Afrika would be a great candidate for that.

Yeah that would really fit in. I probably spent most of my time in Kiwanja Plain because I was addicted to those wide open vistas, and Duma Steppe primarily because cheetah & hyenas are two of my favorites. I remember the first time I stumbled across hyenas in the area I thought I had fully explored already. It really felt like a living environment sometimes.

The actual animal models and textures seem pretty similar in the final game. I'd say the Wild Dogs actually look better in the finished game.

I would even say that most of the animals look better when compared with the reveal trailer, in both animation and texture.

A potential next-gen Afrika that included the lush grass from the reveal along with random real-time animal interactions (as opposed to hunting only happening during scripted sequences) would be great.

I don't know how this game has eluded me for so long. It's so fucking expensive nowadays...

It looks like you can get a used copy for ~30 USD on Amazon, if that helps.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
All these years later and those terrible reviews still make me a bit angry.

Glad you spent some time with this special game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is a game that I wish they would make a HD remake for. Of course, I think the whole "photography-exploration" game thing is pretty much dead now. Well, unless you like to take car shots in a driving game I guess.

Atrophis

Great game, really should play it more. Picked it up on ebay last year for a quite reasonable price so it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of. Still need Aquanauts Holiday for more non-violent gaming goodness.

Dear Sony, please give us some quirky stuff like this on PS4.

watershed

Banned
A next gen version of this (or pokemon snap) would be amazing. I feel like the closest we've been is the photo mode in Pikmin 3.

Fusebox

Banned
Great thread, I have minimal interest in playin the game but thoroughly enjoyed reading that OP, thx for sharing.

Amir0x

Banned
my biggest surprise from this past generation was finding I enjoyed this type of game. Afrika was really fun if you got past some of the jankiness. Endless Ocean was another game which I enjoyed that was sort of 'going out into the wild and locate and catalogue wildlife' thing to it. It's just something that really creatively exploits the strengths of our medium whilst allowing someone with a passing interest in these subjects to learn something.

Alfredo

I always wanted to play this game, but didn't have a PS3 'til recently, and found out that the game was pretty rare/expensive.

But now I find out Hakuna Matata is only like 20 bucks to import, so I just bought a copy. :D

Top Bottom