• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My custom built gaming PC keeps dying, considering just replacing it

drotahorror

Since your friend deals with building PC's for a living could they spare a PSU for testing?

Also, linking nvidia inspector, which looks to only give info about your GPU is hardly your specs. You should always provide more information when trying to diagnose a PC problem.

Judging from your part list you could have listed this as your 'current specs'.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (stock? OC'd?)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II (stock? OC'd?)
Power Supply: Azza 850W ATX Power Supply

Windows 7? 10?

Those are all things relevant to troubleshooting.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That monitor had a launch price of 270 dollars

someone was fibbing about spending 2000 dollars
Speakers were about 300, monitor was upper 200s. Yeah, I guess it was more like 1,500 dollars. I didn't think the price would be such a focus for everyone, so I approximated.

s_mirage

They shut down at 70 degrees Celcius. While the exact number can vary, 70 is the hard cut-off number. The shutdown temperature for most Intel CPU's is 60 degrees Celsius. edit: was looking at older models with a different setup, more recent ones have a higher range.

Not only do they have a higher range, but Intel refers to the TCase temperature, which will be lower than the core temperatures reported by most monitoring software. TCase is measured by a thermocouple embedded in the heat spreader, while core temperatures (well, technically it's the distance to TJunction rather than an absolute temperature) are measured by sensors embedded in the cores themselves. Core temperatures will therefore be higher, sometimes significantly (20 degrees or so).

ithorien

This whole thread reminds me of this PC build video that Tested released a few years back, where a "PC building professional" wildly smears thermal paste on the chip, then waits 45 minutes to attach the heatsink/fan to the cpu/board. I wanted to reach in through the monitor and strangle the rocket surgeon.

Hope it all goes well OP; next time definitely refer to the "New PC thread" though.

Vex_

Banned
Wow, that's great to hear that the rma was free!

Yea pointed them to the official forum page where there were 100s of posts detailing what was going on. There were also moderators and admins working with people to deliver information once they found out what was going on with that batch of gpus.

Most people got a free rma, some didnt. Im surprised I got one, but IT WAS around xmas time when I called so the guy I spoke was like "yea, Ok.. i guess I'll do that for ya. Whatever." Lol. He was all casual.

But yea, I hope sol gets through this. He spent waaay more money than I did lol. XD

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finally got around to getting a new PSU and cooler installed. Major props to Clydefrog for straight up giving me a free PSU without me even asking. No problems so far - no more crashing or overheating. Looks like you all were right.

PC gaming in a nutshell. My rig constantly has various problems with this and that, related and unrelated issues alike, I had to stop playing AC4 permanently just the other day because it kept crashing. Unless you have the time and patience, things a lot of people like myself are in short supply of, figuring out what minute component or software bug is causing everything to fuck up is a fool's errand.

Top Bottom