• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My custom built gaming PC keeps dying, considering just replacing it

akira28

The motherboard would short and not start at all if this were the case. That's not what's happening.

nah, if you just use masking tape or wooden screws it will work without the standins. I've seen it.

you can also use wood screws but eventually the PC will stop working.

Trigg

Banned
Curious if it's worth sending back the order and waiting longer to save this money. Someone earlier (on this page even) recommended at least 650. Is 750 a waste? Will that power offer me any benefits?

Its just overkill and you can save $30 and put it elsewhere.

Iorv3th

You said your fan is super loud, your shit is overheating and it's running at a high rate. Idling it shouldn't be doing that. You don't have one of those dirty monster PC's with a dead rat inside do you? Clean it out, clean everything out. Compressed air, vacuum etc.

I built mine in 2012 I think (when sandy bridge came out) and it's still great, upgraded the GPU and added an SSD and another 8GB of ram but it works great.

Megabat

Haha, judging from all these recommendations I might as well just build a new PC. New cooler, new PSU, new CPU, new mobo, and I want a GPU upgrade... geez

Uh, it kind of sounds like that's what you want to do.

But, very seriously: your problems seem related to CPU temperatures and a bad power supply.

1. Re-seat and re-paste your CPU cooler.

2. Buy a new power supply. You don't have to spend a lot to get a quality unit, but you have to know what you're looking for.

Here is a good list of many units: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Here is a link to one you could just buy and drop in: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182356&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I often see it for $60.

3. If it still shuts down, get a new CPU cooler.

It's always better to fix what you have than start again. That will be a very nice machine when it works properly again. Good luck!

deejaylew

Neo Member
Don't want to read the whole thread to see whats already been said but this is a simple way to diagnose your particular issue,

next time it dies unplug the power cord and hold down the power button, this will release the excess power from the system. plug it back in and it will probably turn on like normal with no wait time.

If things happen the way I have outlined than you need a new power supply, your symptoms are very common.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Extremely sarcastic post
I wasn't complaining, because...

-I'd need to replace the CPU to
-Get a better GPU
-I need a better power supply
-The mobo could also be replaced

It is an older PC, I built it with several mid range parts in 2013. If I were to upgrade I'd basically be replacing most of it.

Regardless that is tangential to this discussion, right now I just want to fix this one. I'm going to order the cooler regardless because I do want to be able to play MMOs at least. Also dust it out and check the PSU fan in the process.

Uh, it kind of sounds like that's what you want to do.

But, very seriously: your problems seem related to CPU temperatures and a bad power supply.

1. Re-seat and re-paste your CPU cooler.

2. Buy a new power supply. You don't have to spend a lot to get a quality unit, but you have to know what you're looking for.

Here is a good list of many units: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Here is a link to one you could just buy and drop in: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182356&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I often see it for $60.

3. If it still shuts down, get a new CPU cooler.

It's always better to fix what you have than start again. That will be a very nice machine when it works properly again. Good luck!
This was helpful. Thanks! If the cooler doesn't do the trick I'll go for the power supply next. I know that's the reverse of what you said to do but I already ordered the right cooler so I might as well try that first.

Megabat

Curious if it's worth sending back the order and waiting longer to save this money. Someone earlier (on this page even) recommended at least 650. Is 750 a waste? Will that power offer me any benefits?

Most of the time, you need much less power than you think. That, and it's more about efficiency. I would have no problem recommending a 450W 80+ Gold-certified (high-efficency) unit for your build.

badb0y

67 degrees while browsing seems high. Check on the CPU cooler and make sure it's attached correctly. If you are in NYC area I can come around and take a look at it for you.

Dartastic

OMG, please cancel that GPU for the love of god. The 480 is coming out in 8 days and would absolutely wreck that card and is only $10 more expensive.
Dude. For real. A 960 is a terrible purchase at this point. Shit, for $10 bucks more I'll ship you my year old 970 that's working fine.

-Get a better GPU

It is an older PC, I built it with several mid range parts in 2013. If I were to upgrade I'd basically be replacing most of it.

Regardless that is tangential to this discussion, right now I just want to fix this one. I'm going to order the cooler regardless because I do want to be able to play MMOs at least. Also dust it out and check the PSU fan in the process.

This was helpful. Thanks! If the cooler doesn't do the trick I'll go for the power supply next. I know that's the reverse of what you said to do but I already ordered the right cooler so I might as well try that first.

Well if get a new cpu that automatically means a new motherboard obviously (and also new ram as you'd be buying skylake (or zen next year) which requires ddr4 ram

Honestly I suggest you don't upgrade anything at all right now
that gtx 760 is still fine for now.

In 6 months amd's zen cpus should be out and you'll very likely be able to get a good cpu for a lot less money than you'd have to spend today

today = i5 6600k + 8GB ddr4 + z170 motherboard = 250+40+80 dollars..

I bet you'll be able to get an equivalent zen quad core in 6 months for half as much (as in 120-150 dollars instead of 250 for the cpu)

You likely do not need a new power supply at all, any new cpu you buy is much more power efficient than that insanely power hungry fx, and any pascal gpu or polaris amd gpu out now/next month uses the same or less power than a gtx 760

Your cpu is running above its safe operating temperature when IDLE. an fx 8350 will crash when it runs at 67 degrees under load. it's 99.9 percent likely that your cpu overheating is causing your crashes (well it's 100 percent certain, but it's 99 percent certain it's the only cause) , don't worry about the power supply

Megabat

-Get a better GPU

This was helpful. Thanks! If the cooler doesn't do the trick I'll go for the power supply next.

I'm sorry if you mentioned this earlier, but what games do you play? There is nothing wrong with your system, unless you take the max-settings-or nothing, triple-A-only approach. I don't know if I'd recommend an FX-8xxx (over an Intel i5), but they're okay, and actually gaining ground as engines start to use more threads. And the GeForce 760 is still great for 1080p. Heck, I tried out a refurbished 660 earlier this month, and it was fine in many games.

OmegaDL50

Logisys Power Supply?

A word of advice. One should never for any circumstances cheap out on the sole component that designed to provide electricity to your entire PC components.

A shoddy / budget power supply generally have several crucial features cut out of them to save costs, Things like lacking a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor), Or even over / under current protection. A power supply failure won't just kill the power supply, but can even result in a discharge that can kill your motherboard, graphics card and any anything else.

Edit: I see already plan to replace the PSU.

Another thing to note, For PSU's generally the name of the box is often not the manufacturer of the PSU, for example Corsair does not make their own Power supplies but rebrands another manufacturer to use for sale.

There are many PSU manufacturers on the market, some of the best being Seasonic and Super Flower for example.

An excellent resource to use for almost all things power supply related is www.jonnyguru.com Guys on these forums do extensive PSU analysis. They have very thorough analysis for their reviews, and always mention the maximum load and actual manufacturer of the PSU's they test.

If you have any extra questions, don't hesitate to ask and one of us PC GAF folks will help. Or you could send me a PM and I recommend you a PSU within a price range that you are able to afford.

The most important thing is you get what you want and it works well.

Grief.exe

2k? What did OP do with the other $1500?

-Get a better GPU

This thread is a month old.

There are a few checks that take less than 5 mins of your time. Check that the CPU cooler is plugged into the CPU fan header. Check that it's working when under load. Replace the TIM.

PS: OP, update the OP so people know that you didn't spend 2k on the PC. You spent about 1k, and another 1k on the monitor and such. Make that more clear that way you can end that part of the discussion.

I'm dying right now.

Dartastic

PS: OP, update the OP so people know that you didn't spend 2k on the PC. You spent about 1k, and another 1k on the monitor and such. Make that more clear that way you can end that part of the discussion.

nnarum

Damn I was pricing a $650 PC with a 970. Gonna wait to see AMD benchmarks for their $200 card to possibly get by cheaper for performance.

I would love a $2000 budget. Sorry you have had issues OP, but sounds like you overpaid. Like others have said, it is probably something overheating. Power supplies and possibly new thermal paste shouldn't cost you more than $40 now. I would try that for the CPU and PSU

Learn how to fix the PC you have before you buy a new one, it will help you better understand PCs and know how to build a better replacement when the time comes.

DeadTrees

OP, have your checked Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer? You will probably see errors logged to Windows Logs->System (and possibly Windows Logs->Application) prior to your system going down.

dcx4610

I'm willing to bet the heatsink isn't touching the CPU or there CPU is covered in thermal paste.

- Remove the fan and heatsink from the CPU.
- Wipe the thermal compound off the CPU.
- Apply a pea sized amount of thermal compound to the center of the CPU. Do not spread it or put more than that. The heat will expand the paste to the entire CPU by itself when it heats up.
- Carefully screw the heatsink and fan back on to the CPU and make sure it firmly in place
- Make sure to reconnect the fan on the CPU to your motherboard

If your case is not to the touch, you may also have your fans positioned incorrectly and the air can't escape. If you have front fans, they should be sucking air into the machine while all other fans on the back/side/top should be blowing out. There are typically arrows on the fans showing which direction the air will flow but you can easily test it by putting a piece of paper over them. It will either suck the paper in or blow it away.

Worst case, take pictures of the inside of your case and post them here.

Wow........this thread...............what a read. You dont even know what heatsinks are???
fdGMsUWt.jpg

No wonder your computer's basically on fire.

I have so many questions, and im just complexed over here. Im just like...how??? Like, did you research this stuff before buying all the parts??? Did you build it yourself??? Did you follow any PC upkeep and maintenance guides???

Well if you dont know, a heat sink is what the name implies. Its a object that dissipates heat build up. That heat thats coming from your CPU is transferred to the heatsink and as wind passes through all the cracks and groves in the heatsink, it cools the heatsink down. So its a constant battle where the CPU is constantly heating up the heatsink and the wind is constantly cooling it down, which is why fans are SUPER important in computers, and its better for a fan to be directly on the heatsink itself.

3119570_large.png

Pretty much every CPU used for gaming is going to have a fan on the heatsink at minimal. and a big heat sink at that.

The thermal paste is a layer of heat cream between the heatsink and CPU, and it acts as a link or a bridge between the two. Its whats carrying the heat from the CPU to the heatsink itself. without it, the CPU wont carry the heat efficiently to the heatsink and can cause CPU to overheat because it cant get rid of the heat good enough. Thus why everyone keeps telling you to reapply the thermal paste. Too little or too much thermal paste can also have the same negative results.

The best way to cool off a CPU is water cooling though. Much better at dissipating heat and cooling down than air. But its a more complex system as it involves deticated fans and water pumps and hoses and shit and its more expensive. You only need that level of cooling if your over clocking your shit hardcore.

If you came from a console background, then PC gaming is a whole other beast. But man, i'd atleast do a shit ton of reading before I even dipped my toe into PC gaming. I spent months of reading and learning before I built my first PC a few years ago, and its still running strong.

If your CPU is running that hot, you may just need to get a whole new heatsink with a fan on it or just buy a new CPU, and with the one that you posted, a new one would be ideal.

Snakey125

As people stated already, Next time you build a computer, make sure you check with people on the quality of the parts you order. Do NOT skimp out and get a the cheapest thing you see. I fix computers on the side and I see people who do this now and then. That is like asking for $2000 to be fried in a year's time.

EDIT: talking about the PSU as well.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Everyone saying I didn't do research... I basically had my friend who builds/fixes PCs help me pick out the parts and build it for me. I ran my parts through my other PC gaming friends before I got them. I knew I might have to upgrade my PSU someday. So, no, I don't really know anything about anything (although this thread has already taught me a lot). I'm the definition of casual PC gamer. I just want a powerful machine that can play games, preferably PC oriented games like MMOs and Overwatch. The only reason I built my own is because all of my friends were STRONGLY for the idea, saying pre-builts are worse. I was going to get a Dell XPS or something, but I took their word for it.

I'm not used to doing maintenance on a gaming machine at all... the comparisons to cars have me all like ?????????????? Consoles are a different world. It's not that I don't like PC gaming though, it's just something to get used to. I got a lot out of my machine for two or three years or so.

If you are spending $2,000 on a PC and have a GTX 760....You got hustled brah.

Everyone saying I didn't do research... I basically had my friend who builds/fixes PCs help me pick out the parts and build it for me. I ran my parts through my other PC gaming friends before I got them. I knew I might have to upgrade my PSU someday. So, no, I don't really know anything about anything (although this thread has already taught me a lot). I'm the definition of casual PC gamer. I just want a powerful machine that can play games, preferably PC oriented games like MMOs and Overwatch. The only reason I built my own is because all of my friends were STRONGLY for the idea, saying pre-builts are worse. I was going to get a Dell XPS or something, but I took their word for it.

I'm not used to doing maintenance on a gaming machine at all... the comparisons to cars have me all like ?????????????? Consoles are a different world. It's not that I don't like PC gaming though, it's just something to get used to. I got a lot out of my machine for two or three years or so.

Seems like your friends don't know anything about anything either.

Grief.exe

Everyone saying I didn't do research... I basically had my friend who builds/fixes PCs help me pick out the parts and build it for me. I ran my parts through my other PC gaming friends before I got them.

They fucked up big time. Always ask in the GAF PC Building Thread before you pull the trigger.

The only reason I built my own is because all of my friends were STRONGLY for the idea, saying pre-builts are worse.

They're right, but they fucked up so bad they essentially had you buy a pre-built without the quality control that would be associated with that product.

hlhbk

This is not a slight on you but man if you are going to go down the road of building a gaming pc take the time to do the research and educate yourself instead of relying on friends totally. If you had done 2-3 hours of research you would know your friends led you down a terrible path with parts that you got charged way to much for that aren't quality parts.

Also while myself and others here are happy to help please moving forward do a little research prior to asking questions. If you literally typed in pc randomly shutting down and can be turned back on after time on Google there are pages showing what the problem is and how to troubleshoot it. Pc's aren't consoles and just work. They need to be maintained. It is some work but the benefits of pc gaming more than make up for it.

SolVanderlyn

This is not a slight on you but man if you are going to go down the road of building a gaming pc take the time to do the research and educate yourself instead of relying on friends totally. If you had done 2-3 hours of research you would know your friends led you down a terrible path with parts that you got charged way to much for that aren't quality parts.

Also while myself and others here are happy to help please moving forward do a little research prior to asking questions. If you literally typed in pc randomly shutting down and can be turned back on after time on Google there are pages showing what the problem is and how to troubleshoot it. Pc's aren't consoles and just work. They need to be maintained. It is some work but the benefits of pc gaming more than make up for it.
I mean it's not like I didn't look at reviews for the parts and what other people had to say about them. Is this really such a bad build for a PC built in 2013? You guys are talking like I built a piece of garbage.

That's not the monitor I have and does not include my speakers or gaming mouse, though.

I mean it's not like I didn't look at reviews for the parts and what other people had to say about them. Is this really such a bad build for a PC built in 2013? You guys are talking like I built a piece of garbage.

That's not the monitor I have and does not include my speakers or gaming mouse, though.

Well, apart from the amd cpu, thats not bad. I had problems with my first pc too. I took it apart, inspected everything and then it worked. The biggest headaches are bad ram, bending one needle on the motherboard when placing the cpu and bad PSUs. Always spend extra on PSUs. That shit can cost you a rig.

If you spent $2k on a PC you should get a 1080 at least.
I think this is the 2nd time I see you jumped into a thread and start telling people to buy a 1080 without even reading anything. Dude bought his PC years ago and 1k of that was for monitor and peripherals.

Atomski

Yep sounds like over hrating. I had this issue once to when I built a new PC. The heatsink kept coming loose. Got a bigger one for cheap and made sure the thermal glue was good. Never had a problem like that again.

Vex_

Banned
I hope everything goes well OP despite all this trouble.

I hope so too.

Damn sol, I hope you get to the bottom of this, brother.

I remember when I had issues. Thankfully I found out my pc suddenly shutting down was due to me getting a bad gpu (it was a known issue regarding an irregular boost clock). Thankfully I was still under warranty when I isolated the issue down to what it was.. and got a free rma.

Timu

I hope so too.

Damn sol, I hope you get to the bottom of this, brother.

I remember when I had issues. Thankfully I found out my pc suddenly shutting down was due to me getting a bad gpu (it was a known issue regarding an irregular boost clock). Thankfully I was still under warranty when I isolated the issue down to what it was.. and got a free rma.
Wow, that's great to hear that the rma was free!

Did OP actually report higher temperatures than 72 degrees? Because CPUs don't shut down until high 90s, and even then they thermal throttle like hell before getting to that point.

65 at idle is less than, well, idle, but that number alone tells you nothing about the reason for a hard shutdown. PSU is just as likely in this scenario. Probably more so.

Fortunately it seems OP bought replacements for both.

Did OP actually report higher temperatures than 72 degrees? Because CPUs don't shut down until high 90s, and even then they thermal throttle like hell before getting to that point.

65 at idle is less than, well, idle, but that number alone tells you nothing about the reason for a hard shutdown. PSU is just as likely in this scenario. Probably more so.

They shut down at 70 degrees Celcius. While the exact number can vary, 70 is the hard cut-off number. The shutdown temperature for most Intel CPU's is 60 degrees Celsius. edit: was looking at older models with a different setup, more recent ones have a higher range.

I have no idea where people are getting higher numbers from, since those are a select number of models with very specific purposes (like allowing extreme overclocking at the users own risk) and laptops, which can get hotter due to saving power on fan use. Those have thermal trottling and shut down at 80, but desktops don't need that extra range and are not designed to.

OmegaDL50

The maximum safe temperature for the 8350, per AMD is 61c.

OP has the same chip and was getting 64c temps at idle.

In this case it was clearly the CPU overheating that was the issue. The PSU is a concerning matter for different reasons.

They shut down at 70 degrees Celcius. While the exact number can vary, 70 is the hard cut-off number. The shutdown temperature for most Intel CPU's is 60 degrees Celsius.

I have no idea where people are getting higher numbers from, since those are a select number of models with very specific purposes (like allowing extreme overclocking at the users own risk) and laptops, which can get hotter due to saving power on fan use. Those have thermal trottling and shut down at 80, but desktops don't need that extra range and are not designed to.

Your numbers are way off. Ive never heard of any recent desktop intels shutting down before passing the 90s

Don't you know it, I got stuck watching older model Intel data somehow (oops). The number of the AMD CPU in this system still happens to be around 70 though, which was what I was looking for originally.

Megabat

Strange choice for a PSU: Azza? 850W?

Azza does have some good Super Flower-manufactured 80+Platinum units. Brand doesn't matter nearly as much as OEM. But I'll agree that 850W is far past overkill, and that this specific unit is not great. Reliable power supplies are very hard to choose unless you have a good guide.

Also: it is easy to see that the core system cost something like $800. That's a good price for a system that, when running properly, still performs very well. I guess some of us have forgotten how good it feels to help someone solve their computer problems? Maybe you've never done it.

Top Bottom