• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My custom built gaming PC keeps dying, considering just replacing it

If it used to run normal I would put money on a faulty fan or that the heatsink became partially unseated. A fan more than likely with that behavior.

If the heatsink became separated the system should overheat within seconds.

GamingKaiju

OP,

Did you remove the little sticker under the CPU cooler when installed it?

I've seen that happen so many times. Take off your CPU cooler check, buy some thermal paste apply a small amount then refit making sure the cooler is flush with the CPU. Clean out your PC and leave the side of it off.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So OP never came back eh.
I've been busy, the advice in this thread has been noted and I have a friend coming over later this week (the same friend who helped build it in the first place) to help with the paste/PSU upgrade.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I replaced the thermal paste and reset my CPU and it runs much quieter now...

BUT it still can't play games without shutting down. The temp dropped about 10 degrees and runs at about 50 while idle now.

Ordered Hyper 212 Evo cooler. Any PSU upgrade recommendations?

xHiryu

BUT it still can't play games without shutting down. The temp dropped about 10 degrees and runs at about 50 while idle now.

This is the one that I use and havent had any issue whatsoever, although I use the 750W version.

EVGA make good power supplies

Seasonic even better but their cheaper models are obnoxiously loud

Stay away from dumpster tier brands like corsair, they are not reliable and use crappy capacitors

Also op how on earth did you spend 2000 dollars on those specs?

that gpu launched at 250 dollars, that fx at like 200 (and <100 dollars today), wd10ezex hard drive is like 40 bucks

You have maybe 700 dollars worth of hardware, tops, and that's if you bought a nice case and power supply. You could have built three of those for 2000 dollars back when the gtx 760 was new.

davedc226

If you're having temp issues on your custom PC, you can use the program called Speedfan, which is free. I think someone else posted that earlier in the thread. Unless I missed it, maybe there's not enough thermal paste on the CPU?

yllekz

Banned
How in the hell did you mismanage your purchasing to get its total cost to be over 2 grand?

My PC is better than yours and cumulatively I've only spent about 1700 (with a few leisurely non-essential storage upgrades, so in reality it was probably closer to 1400 if we don't count that)

SolVanderlyn

How in the hell did you mismanage your purchasing to get its total cost to be over 2 grand?

My PC is better than yours and cumulatively I've only spent about 1700 (with a few leisurely non-essential storage upgrades, so in reality it was probably closer to 1400 if we don't count that)
I didn't mismanage. I bought a near 900 dollar monitor, nice speakers, nice keyboard, etc. Can people stop commenting on the price please.

I didn't mismanage. I bought a near 900 dollar monitor, nice speakers, nice keyboard, etc. Can people stop commenting on the price please.

You probably shouldn't include those things when listing the price, it kinda skews the perspective on your system a little bit.

As for PSU, just get a known brand with at least 500w, but 650w or more would be safer for your setup. Corsair and EVGA are both good. Find what's on sale in your price range.

Amaducias

Neo Member

The AMD FX 8350 max temp is 61 degrees celcius. So in most cases going above that will downclock or shut down your pc forcefully.

An idle temp of 50 is still way too high. So I'm concluding that it's still your cpu overheating in games. Especially seeing as Gw2 is a cpu intensive game.
That Hyper 212 should alleviate that problem if the thermal paste is correctly applied, don't use too much or too little, watch a youtube video about if if you're not sure how much you should use. (one big drop is more than enough)

For a PSU, i'd suggest you go with the tierlist found on tomshardware or /r/pcmasterrace
: http://i.imgur.com/koLUPLh.jpg
anything from t1 or t2 is good enough depending on your budget :)
I myself recently bought the EVGA supernova G2 750w

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
christ at this thread, people don't remember what shit cost 2 years ago....

mackattk

i was just pointing out that as a person on the outside looking in, this whole situation looks like a disaster. if i spent 2 grand on something and it didn't work (even if its eventually fixable after some research and time spent tinkering) i'd be furious.

Things break. That is the nature of electronics. Now, if I could spend $20 to fix something I spent $2000 on, I would be ecstatic. An easy youtube search on how to fix the problem and 20 minutes later all is well. That is a huge win in that situation. Worse case, he needs to buy a new CPU fan; but it sounds like he might not have to spend anything at all, and just needs to resecure the fan by literally pressing down on it. This isn't something you have to break out the soldering gun for, it isn't any super high-tech fancy shit, it is literally just a CPU fan that is about 1.5" in diameter.

I spent a good $2k on it...
...Not sure how to check temps

Obama_AP.jpg

WHAT

so when you get your computer back up and running, make that your first priority. First priority. Learn to manage your PC's temp. It's usually a one and done thing. You might have to check your temps once or twice again during the summer or when your computer gets dusty dirty, but FUCK, man, you can't just put together a computer and NOT CHECK THE TEMPS!!!!

i often want to get seriously into PC gaming and then i see threads like this. yeeeowch

I used to game on prebuilts. I built my own for the first time, mid 2014.

I took two hours to learn what to do. Didn't hurt that internet recommendations took the edge and difficulty out of actually picking parts.

Haven't had any problems, because those two hours were incredibly informing. I knew that the stock voltage on my 4790k was crazy bloated and would cause my temps to go higher than they needed. I knew I could safely and easily overclock my 970 with MSI tools. I knew what drivers and tools I needed and how to get them. Thanks to those two hours of just googling shit and absorbing that information. If you're allergic to learning new things then PC gaming isn't for you because that's generally all it takes to avoid problems, especially nowadays.

Dmented

Banned
Ordered some new parts.

GeForce GTX 960 (GPU)

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 (PSU)

Cooler Master GeminII (Cooling system)

Might as well upgrade the GPU while I'm at it.

Parts come in tomorrow, will update then.

OMG, please cancel that GPU for the love of god. The 480 is coming out in 8 days and would absolutely wreck that card and is only $10 more expensive.

Also. I do not know HOW the fuck that PC of yours cost $2k. Maybe I need to read the thread more but if there isn't some fuckery going on I really don't know.

Minions

And here I watching youtube at 64c.... Gen1 i7 920 will do that. My Biggest regret not getting the d0 stepping model. This CPU just runs hot unfortunately. As for the OP, power off and not booting generally is CPU or PSU, with unlikely third being GPU. GPU generally boots up right after power down, so its highly unlikely.

SolVanderlyn

"I still have no idea why it isn't working properly, let me just order some new parts".
Except that I did exactly what was recommended and went for a new PSU and cooler... lol.

Order shipped already, will return the GPU. I got it because Kotaku recommended it on sale yesterday or the day before. Should have known not to get it on a knee jerk reaction.

I think you need to re-apply your thermal paste dude. That's is obscenely hot. Start with that.
Already did, temp went down but not enough. Hovers around 50 idle now. Had my friend who fixes PCs for a living do it.

Except that I did exactly what was recommended and went for a new PSU and cooler... lol.

Order shipped already, will return the GPU. I got it because Kotaku recommended it on sale yesterday or the day before. Should have known not to get it on a knee jerk reaction.

Already did, temp went down but not enough. Hovers around 50 idle now.
You should take pictures of how you applied the thermal paste. Too much or too little and it won't work correctly.

Also, this may sound like a strange question but which way are your fans pushing air on the case? If you can, take a picture of your setup.

That PSU will likely solve your shutting down problem. What made you go with that cooler over the Hyper 212? There's nothing wrong with it, just curious.

EDIT: Also, this is probably a dumb question, but what kind of video ports does your motherboard have? Are you sure your monitor isn't plugged into your motherboard instead of your video card?

SolVanderlyn

That PSU will likely solve your shutting down problem. What made you go with that cooler over the Hyper 212? There's nothing wrong with it, just curious.
Oh, shoot, I actually did order the Hyper 212. Not sure why I linked that one.

nullpoynter

Yeah this! I bought a H105 to cool my i5 4670K @4.4GHz. It's quiet and very effective. 25oC when browsing the web and barely reach 55 in game.

I prefer a good ol' air cooler like the Noctua line myself. Still don't trust a water cooler not to spring a leak. My Noctua keeps my 4790K nice and cool.

For sure don't take PC hardware recommendations from a place like Kotaku. The PC thread here on Neogaf is a fantastic resource with very easy to read charts and people that would gladly tell you the best GPU for your price range. There are also a ton of PC hardware dedicated sites that you can lean on, such as Tom's Hardware and Anandtech.

I have a Hyper 212 Evo cooler and my idle temps are in the high 20's/low 30's, your temps are blowing my mind.

Thermal paste application seems like a scary proposition but in actuality it's incredibly easy. You should for sure get a thermal paste removal kit if you don't have one, if you apply paste to the CPU and you don't feel like you did a good job, just pull the cooler, remove all the paste and do it again until you feel you got it right.

Once you set the CPU in the motherboard, you don't have to worry about damaging it, you don't have to worry about anything really, except static. Applying paste and then removing it and reapplying is not going to cause any damage.

YouTube has tons of paste application videos. Not all pastes are created equal. Some are applied better at certain temperatures, just make sure you have one that works best at room temperature.

For the love of God don't skimp on the price of your paste it's already cheap and it's pretty important.

Arulan

EVGA make good power supplies

Seasonic even better but their cheaper models are obnoxiously loud

Stay away from dumpster tier brands like corsair, they are not reliable and use crappy capacitors

There is nothing wrong with Corsair, in fact they're among the best, but they have such a large array of models and series that some aren't so good. I do agree with EVGA quickly becoming the go-to for PSUs though. For detailed reviews of specific models, check out Johnny Lucky's recommendations.

SolVanderlyn

LeleSocho

Banned
Why don't you try to fix the problem before ordering new parts without even checking if they are the best for your system?

Like make photos of the inside and post them, be sure it is the PSU before ordering a new one at random, check the fan and see if it works 100% of the time etc. etc.

From your posts it doesn't seem you have done much research on this whole "building a computer" thing.

Order shipped already, will return the GPU. I got it because Kotaku recommended it on sale yesterday or the day before.

For the love of God please don't listen to Kotaku for anything PC related. That's the worst recommendation with the worst timing ever. (new card comes out in a week)

SolVanderlyn

Welp I guess I'll return everything but the cooler then.

Hopefully that will fix it.

OP if you're going to spend any money on upgrades then replace that potato POS cpu first

buying a better gpu is kind of pointless when you are still using an fx

Kysen

Yup should have just replaced the CPU and mobo. Much cheaper/better intel options around now. I don't think the new cooler will help. No CPU should be running at 50c idle even with the stock cooler. Sounds to me that the fan is at the wrong RPM due to the power cable being plugged into the wrong header.

SolVanderlyn

Haha, judging from all these recommendations I might as well just build a new PC. New cooler, new PSU, new CPU, new mobo, and I want a GPU upgrade... geez

I had a similar problem not long ago, actually, and I discovered a stiff PSU fan to be the culprit. Granted, it's been six years since I've had this build. Anyway, I tried everything--uninstalling/reinstalling components to dust them, applying new thermal paste, etc. Nothing was working and, like you, OP, I couldn't play games for long before my PC shut itself off. It got so bad that it started to happen naturally while idling, too, and I could never keep it running long enough to diagnose problems.

After almost losing all hope, I decided to dust one more time and noticed my PSU fan wasn't spinning when I was using a heavy-duty duster. I had to take the PSU apart and lube the fan's rotator reservoir. And then it was fixed. CHECK YOUR PSU FAN.

Haha, judging from all these recommendations I might as well just build a new PC. New cooler, new PSU, new CPU, new mobo, and I want a GPU upgrade... geez

No, either spend nothing (possibly a new cooler, which costs 20 bucks, OH NO it's a disaster)

Or buy a new cpu as there isn't much point getting a high end gpu with a below entry level cpu

You don't need a new power supply if your cpu is overheating.

You're the one who chose to spend 2000 dollars and end up with an fx cpu... people who spent 750 and bought an i5 can just plug in a better gpu when they want an upgrade and they're good to go.

Don't blame pc gaming for poor hardware choices.

bad%20car%20spoilers%201242.jpg

I spent 40.000 dollars on this car and now you're telling me I need a new engine? CARS SUCK , I'm buying a segway:p

Top Bottom