• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Maxim726X: MLP:FiM is currently in the Realm of Discourse, it started out in doxa, and eventually became noticed, now there is an idea war going on. Currently the idea of MLP being good, and watchable by adult males is heterodoxy, it goes against the established norm, if enough people accept this idea it will become the new orthodoxy, and people will stop paying attention to the idea because it will become as invisible as the air. At this point it will become doxa, everyone will forget that there was a clash of ideas.

McNum

Maxim726X said:
Question: Would you say, honestly, that the following the show has nothing to do with combating social norms, or being socially rebellious? Is it all truly out of love for the show?
I can only speak for myself, of course, but yes. It's all for the show.

I like cartoons. I like cute, when it's not nauseating. So when I got to watch the show, I was pleasantly surprised that it was cute in a good way, and had good writing and animation. It's subtle, but there are some extremely well animated scenes in the show, especially concerning the ponies themselves. One scene that comes to mind is Fluttershy screaming. Ignore the d'awww for a second and take note of her wings. Then unfurl and lock, just as you'd expect wings to do when you tense your back like that. Sure, it does big set piece animation as well as any other show, but it's the subtleties like that I'm impressed with.

I was actually surprised at the venom the show attracts. I mean, it's just a cartoon. I don't watch it to be contrarian or anything like that. I watch it because I honestly like this slice of life comedy about pastel colored, talking, magical ponies.

Maxim726X

ivedoneyourmom said:
Maxim726X: MLP:FiM is currently in the Realm of Discourse, it started out in doxa, and eventually became noticed, now there is an idea war going on. Currently the idea of MLP being good, and watchable by adult males is heterodoxy, it goes against the established norm, if enough people accept this idea it will become the new orthodoxy, and people will stop paying attention to the idea because it will become as invisible as the air. At this point it will become doxa, everyone will forget that there was a clash of ideas.

Interesting. Do you believe it will ever reach that point?

Or is this, like many other internet fads, simply just that?

Thank you for the response, by the way.

Maxim726X

McNum said:
I can only speak for myself, of course, but yes. It's all for the show.

I like cartoons. I like cute, when it's not nauseating. So when I got to watch the show, I was pleasantly surprised that it was cute in a good way, and had good writing and animation. It's subtle, but there are some extremely well animated scenes in the show, especially concerning the ponies themselves. One scene that comes to mind is Fluttershy screaming. Ignore the d'awww for a second and take note of her wings. Then unfurl and lock, just as you'd expect wings to do when you tense your back like that. Sure, it does big set piece animation as well as any other show, but it's the subtleties like that I'm impressed with.

I was actually surprised at the venom the show attracts. I mean, it's just a cartoon. I don't watch it to be contrarian or anything like that. I watch it because I honestly like this slice of life comedy about pastel colored, talking, magical ponies.

Okay. I appreciate you taking out the time to be courteous and answering my question.

You're right, too... The show does bring out a lot of bad on both sides. I guess it's similar with any other internet phenomena, but this one in particular fascinates me.

KtSlime

Maxim726X said:
Interesting. Do you believe it will ever reach that point?

Or is this, like many other internet fads, simply just that?

Thank you for the response, by the way.

Eh, it will reach that point, probably. It has two concurrent things going on.

1) Adult males watch the show, show it to friends, they watch the show, it builds critical mass, and is accepted.

2) Children watch the show, become adults, remember the show fondly, and is accepted.

Which one will bring the show to orthodoxy first I can't really say, but one way or another it will. Even if it is just a fad, fads even make it to doxa via nostalgia, unless there wasn't enough momentum, then it will probably be forgotten. I'd say the show has probably gotten enough momentum that that isn't the case. We are still on the left of the bell curve right now, and people and Hasbro are just starting to see the possibility of a new market for commercial success, this should keep up the momentum.

Maxim726X

ivedoneyourmom said:
Eh, it will reach that point, probably. It has two concurrent things going on.

1) Adult males watch the show, show it to friends, they watch the show, it builds critical mass, and is accepted.

2) Children watch the show, become adults, remember the show fondly, and is accepted.

Which one will bring the show to orthodoxy first I can't really say, but one way or another it will. Even if it is just a fad, fads even make it to doxa via nostalgia, unless there wasn't enough momentum, then it will probably be forgotten. I'd say the show has probably gotten enough momentum that that isn't the case. We are still on the left of the bell curve right now, and people and Hasbro are just starting to see the possibility of a new market for commercial success, this should keep up the momentum.

Hard to argue with that. So out of curiosity, are all episodes available on Youtube? Isn't the show still currently running?

Narag

Maxim726X said:
Hard to argue with that. So out of curiosity, are all episodes available on Youtube? Isn't the show still currently running?

All are available. Season two starts this fall.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Party of One is my personal favourite episode, so you can check that one if you want.

Not that my opinion is shared by everyone here...

Maxim726X said:
If the show is gaining so much popularity, why is it being streamed for free?
<_<

>_>

Watch it while you still can!!!!

Narag

Maxim726X said:
If the show is gaining so much popularity, why is it being streamed for free?

The show was designed to drive merchandise but was relegated to a satellite channel few have iirc. Leaving it up is just free advertising as I don't think any disc release was considered until after the internet fandom grew as it did.

Maxim726X

CHEEZMO™ said:
Party of One is my personal favourite episode, so you can check that one if you want.

<_<

>_>

Watch it while you still can!!!!

Yeah, I guess so... Have there been any talks of the show being picked up by a cable station?

Sciz

Stupacabra said:
Heh, sorry - he worked on the early Mega Drive ones, that's what I meant by that. Not sure about later stuff.
He was one of a group of junior designers on Sonic 3. Since then, he's gone on to be the single most toxic influence on the entire franchise out of anyone associated with it. But like I said, wrong topic for this. Bring it up in one of the Generations threads and you'll get a bunch of people complaining about him.

KtSlime

Stupacabra said:
Heh! Please feel free to correct me, I am eager to improve.

The particle &#12434;(wo) can only be used with &#20182;&#21205;&#35422;(transitive verbs), desu isn't a verb at all, having no action, it can't transfer any action to anything. You would want to use &#12399; since "Rainbow Dash" is an unknown term. Something like "&#12524;&#12452;&#12531;&#12508;&#12454;&#12480;&#12483;&#12471;&#12517;&#12399;... &#20309;&#12391;&#12377;&#12363;&#65311;"(reinbou dasshu ha... nan desu ka" would sound much more natural.

Calpain

Maxim726X said:
Yeah, I guess so... Have there been any talks of the show being picked up by a cable station?
I don't think Hasbro has plans to put the show on any other channels in the US as it is currently one of it's highest rated shows on The Hub (Hasbro and Discovery's joint venture cabel/satellite channel) . I would think they would like to keep it around on their channel in order to build market share against their competitors (CN, Disney, Nickelodeon).

As for internationally, there is news of international channels picking up the show. In fact, Boomerang in the UK is going to start airing the show at 3pm starting July 4. Other rollouts are expected on other channels considering the leaks of various official intro song dubs and such that have popped up here and there.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
CHEEZMO™ said:

most people would agree with that, but its a bad episode to reccommend.

luckily we have the synchtube ratings to get a finger on the ponygaf pulse RE: episode weighting.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Pandaman said:
most people would agree with that, but its a bad episode to reccommend.

luckily we have the synchtube ratings to get a finger on the ponygaf pulse RE: episode weighting.
I have to agree. Althought it's my favourite, it works a lot better after you've seen several episodes.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
CHEEZMO™ said:
I have to agree. Althought it's my favourite, it works a lot better after you've seen several episodes.
A good chunk of the better episodes aren't ones you should see early. The first time I tried the show was the latest episode being Suited for Success. I lasted 2 minutes. It's one of the best episodes of the show, and has the best song.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
n8BitMan said:
A good chunk of the better episodes aren't ones you should see early. The first time I tried the show was the latest episode being Suited for Success. I lasted 2 minutes. It's one of the best episodes of the show, and has the best song.
No it doesn't.

ivedoneyourmom said:
The particle &#12434;(wo) can only be used with &#20182;&#21205;&#35422;(transitive verbs), desu isn't a verb at all, having no action, it can't transfer any action to anything. You would want to use &#12399; since "Rainbow Dash" is an unknown term. Something like "&#12524;&#12452;&#12531;&#12508;&#12454;&#12480;&#12483;&#12471;&#12517;&#12399;... &#20309;&#12391;&#12377;&#12363;&#65311;"(reinbou dasshu ha... nan desu ka" would sound much more natural.

Ah, thanks very much. It seems I had been told wrongly by my sensei.

Much appreciated.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
n8BitMan said:
counterpoint

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
CHEEZMO™ said:
No it doesn't.
WWU and Singing Telegram are the best :(

Secret best song: Twilight is my bestest friend

Art of the Dress is a close third
fourth
but let's face it: Every song in this series is ace.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Bah I'm keeping my opinion, thank you. Winter Wrap Up follows 2nd.
Eh, Winter Wrap Up is great. I just really like the story and emotion that goes with Art of the Dress.

Maxim726X

Calpain said:
I don't think Hasbro has plans to put the show on any other channels in the US as it is currently one of it's highest rated shows on The Hub (Hasbro and Discovery's joint venture cabel/satellite channel) . I would think they would like to keep it around on their channel in order to build market share against their competitors (CN, Disney, Nickelodeon).

As for internationally, there is news of international channels picking up the show. In fact, Boomerang in the UK is going to start airing the show at 3pm starting July 4. Other rollouts are expected on other channels considering the leaks of various official intro song dubs and such that have popped up here and there.

Interesting. Does it have this interest overseas as well? Or is it mainly a US thing right now?

Calpain

Maxim726X said:
Interesting. Does it have this interest overseas as well? Or is it mainly a US thing right now?

From what I have seen there are A LOT of foreign fans who have watched the show through Youtube and other means so there is definitely a market. Some of the most interesting news stories and fan works come from our foreign friends (like the German Airforce fans that drew a Rainbow Dash on a chalk board).

As for airing in foreign markets, Romantic, as I said the UK is getting the show on July 4th. I can imagine other markets in Europe are soon to follow.:)

As an offside comment, you said you were a biology major in the OT MLP thread, Maxim? What field are you specializing in? I'm Cell/Molecular myself, but I have a smattering of ecology/zoology experience from my undergrad years doing turtle research. Nice to see another biologist on NeoGAF!

Cheerilee

Green Mamba said:
Okay, so I just watched the first two episodes again, and I am seriously confused--where the hell was Princess Celestia that whole time? Everyone is shocked that she's gone, Nightmare Moon sure as heck seems to think she's kidnapped her, and in the end she just walks into the scene after the six ponies did her dirty work as if nothing ever happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJ6-gN0eB4#t=20m03s

Listen to Pinkie Pie.

Maxim726X said:
In Canada we basically have two cable channels with an interest in animation, YTV and Teletoon. YTV is the more dominant channel since it's on basic cable, and Teletoon is part of an extended cable package.

MLP:FIM is apparently The Hub's second highest rated show, ahead of the new Transformers and GI Joe.

Teletoon managed to score a victory against YTV in that they scored the rights to both Transformers and GI Joe (YTV had a particularly strong relationship with Transformers in the past, having partially funded Beast Wars). But Teletoon completely ignored MLP:FIM. They left it on the table and walked away, even though it beat the other shows in ratings.

YTV came along and picked up MLP:FIM, but then they flipped it over to their affiliate station "Treehouse" which offers programming for preschoolers, aged 0-5. There are actually complaints on Treehouse's forums saying "This show makes my two year old cry. Why don't you air more Teletubbies?"

Sigh.

Calpain

ruby_onix said:
MLP:FIM is apparently The Hub's second highest rated show, ahead of the new Transformers and GI Joe.

Teletoon managed to score a victory against YTV in that they scored the rights to both Transformers and GI Joe (YTV had a particularly strong relationship with Transformers in the past, having partially funded Beast Wars). But Teletoon completely ignored MLP:FIM. They left it on the table and walked away, even though it beat the other shows in ratings.

YTV came along and picked up MLP:FIM, but then they flipped it over to their affiliate station "Treehouse" which offers programming for preschoolers, aged 0-5. There are actually complaints on Treehouse's forums saying "This show makes my two year old cry. Why don't you air more Teletubbies?"

Sigh.

A shame what happened in Canada. While most of us can agree that the target audience is meant for younger girls (and their parents) putting the show on a network which caters to the youngest of kids was a bad move. Looking at the Treehouse lineup there are no shows that come close to what is seen in MLP content wise (slapstick, occasional 'scary' monsters, some clever word play, cultural references little kids won't get, ect.).

Maybe they stuck it in with shows like Dora, Olivia, and Max and Ruby because of the educational aspect of the show? I can say, from having a younger sister, that those shows are NOTHING like MLP and should not have been lumped in with them.

karby

2th said:
dear sweet jesus!!! so i was on youtube and it recommended this for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljyf5zUyOms&feature=grec_index

yeah i dont think i would have been watching this. ever.

Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

For the sake of your own sanity, I advise you to never--EVER attempt to watch any MLP episode before the FIM generation, including g1. I loved g1 as a kid, practically grew up on it, but I don't want to watch anything about it on youtube because I am absolutely sure that my oh-so-precious memories will be ruined by how truly shitty it is. Best to just keep those rose-tinted good memories locked away in my head. :D

I can't believe I missed the other thread closing. :(

burningranger

Neo Member
karby said:

That is what fans at least call G3.5 or the tumor hooves ponies. This was the last series before FiM came a long. These are mostly frowned upon, even by long time fans of the whole franchise, because of how really disproportional their bodies are. It was never a full-fledged series or anything that aired, but just a bunch of mini-sodes that went straight to DVD. I only stomached watching a couple videos on youtube of this because it was interesting to hear both Tabitha St. Germain and Andrea Libman in roles prior to their work on FiM. Believe me, their talent really got a chance to show comparatively with FiM.

Most of the animated stuff from the original G3 more closely resembles the G1 stuff.

However, there is an even darker side to G3.5 that I would advise NO ONE to watch. My Little Pony Newborn Cuties. I've seen better flash animation from 1999 then what I saw in this, and it was officially licensed by Hasbro. It was a 10 minute video and I could only stomach about 3 or 4 minutes of it because it seriously felt like it was making me dumber by killing brain cells. At least the G3.5 ponies were all bright and happy and you could tell what age group they were aiming for. These baby "ponies" I could only imagine being aimed at two or younger and that's because they wouldn't remember it afterwards. It's THAT bad.

burningranger said:
However, there is an even darker side to G3.5 that I would advise NO ONE to watch. My Little Pony Newborn Cuties. I've seen better flash animation from 1999 then what I saw in this, and it was officially licensed by Hasbro. It was a 10 minute video and I could only stomach about 3 or 4 minutes of it because it seriously felt like it was making me dumber by killing brain cells. At least the G3.5 ponies were all bright and happy and you could tell what age group they were aiming for. These baby "ponies" I could only imagine being aimed at two or younger and that's because they wouldn't remember it afterwards. It's THAT bad.

I watched 2 episodes of this because PensivePony had them mixed into the FiM uploads. Words cannot describe the horror. I believe I may have mentally blocked off the memories of it's horrid contents out of traumatic shock. Heed this man's warning and STAY AWAY PEOPLE!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Bufbaf said:
(If I should stop doing this, please let me know :) )
I hope you never stop and keep on doing this for our entertainment for the rest of your days. :)

Stupacabra said:
Quick (paraphrased) MLP-related Summer of Sonic anecdote I thought I'd share.

Queued for aaaages to meet Yuji Naka (creator of Sonic) and Takashi Iizuka (Head of Sonic Team, designer on all the good Sonics), and got there just in time to get my stuff signed, which led to the best part of the day. My friend Becky goes up to Yuji Naka, wearing a custom shirt featuring Sonic riding on Rainbow Dash. Naka sees it, and a curious look crosses his face.

Naka: "What is that?"
Becky: "Oh, it's Rainbow Dash."

*Yuji turns to Iizuka*

Naka: "Nani wo... Lainbow Dashu desu?"

*Iizuka shrugs*
That's pretty amusing. Japan could definitely use some more ponies.

Regulus Tera said:
kill it with fire
For once, we can agree on something.

brian577 said:
I don't normally do this but I've made a few PMVs over the past few months and I thought I'd share them here. Opinions would be appreciated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvCbxB1FOYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XplbCGALlhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DrPn4p1Zgs
These were all quite well done, I particularly liked the Weird Al one. :)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Bakphoon said:
Oh my... I'll stick to the english version, if the Voice actors use the same voices in the Episodes...
This.

Dai101

Banned
Pandaman said:
evil laughing fluttershy guy. had that furry rant a few weeks back. might be a zombie.

Yeah. Last time i saw him was in the "new York legalizing gay marriage". I wonder if his b& was for something he posted there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom