• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's some Vegeta level stuff right there. You obviously should have ascended to be the stronger warrior, but you're getting cockblocked by plothaxx.

Ellis Kim

Banned
OMG Aero said:
MT778.gif

You will use your new power to help PonyGAF, not hurt it.
First order of business? A new Pony-related tag for EatChildren!

I'm kidding D: Please don't hurt me

Okay, so I just watched the first two episodes again, and I am seriously confused--where the hell was Princess Celestia that whole time? Everyone is shocked that she's gone, Nightmare Moon sure as heck seems to think she's kidnapped her, and in the end she just walks into the scene after the six ponies did her dirty work as if nothing ever happened.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Green Mamba said:
Okay, so I just watched the first two episodes again, and I am seriously confused--where the hell was Princess Celestia that whole time? Everyone is shocked that she's gone, Nightmare Moon sure as heck seems to think she's kidnapped her, and in the end she just walks into the scene after the six ponies did her dirty work as if nothing ever happened.
she was just hiding so her subjects could suffer alittle.

it was the first warning about trollestia we got, if only the ponies had realized...

McNum

Green Mamba said:
They don't say, but Celestia only reappeared when the sun rose. Food for thought, but could Celestia have been sealed in the sun? Being the sun-goddess of pony-dom should make it so she could survive that, and it seems just spiteful enough for Nightmare Moon to seal Celestia in the sun, then making the sun never rise again.

That or Celestia could have intervened whenever she wanted, but gave Twilight a chance first.

NEO0MJ

Green Mamba said:

The popular theory is that Celecstia hypnotized Nightmare Moon into thinking she defeated her and then had her humiliated by being defeated by a bunch of little ponies.

The pilot (and Best Night Ever) always came off like Celestia running a Batman Gambit. She set everything in motion by fooling Twilight into meeting up with the other 5 representatives of the Elements of Harmoy and then hid in the background while they did their work. IF the Elements are the only way to defeat NNM then it makes sense because she wouldn't be able to do so herself. Her hiding could give NNM the thought that Celestia was afraid of her / wouldn't oppose her, while also giving the mane six even more motivation to defeat NNM via the EoH.

Narag

People will tire themselves out and it'll become less fashionable to rant about the show or its fanbase. Even now it's the same vocal minority as the rest of GAF really doesn't care one way or the other.

McNum

I don't recognize him from any of the other threads, either. I just recognize the arguments.

I can't really fault someone for asking "Why?" nor can I fault them for asking "Why?" again when the first answer was inconclusive. That's just basic curiosity and should be encouraged. It gets tiring when the "Why?" is paired up with false expectations, though. If you're going to ask why, it's better to have a clean slate for that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Here comes a new Challenger!

WTwBG.png

(If I should stop doing this, please let me know :) )

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bufbaf said:
Here comes a new Challenger!

http://i.imgur.com/WTwBG.png

(If I should stop doing this, please let me know :) )

Awesome work man!

I don't think you should stop, but I think a rough limit on the total number of background ponies wouldn't be a bad idea.

Calpain

Great work so far, Bufbaf! I can't wait to see the finished product. And congratulations to EatChildren as well on the new position!

DeadPhoenix said:
Old news, pretty sure it was posted in the last topic... As for new news, apparently Bill Clinton will be on the show(or was on the show?) and they are going to talk to him about MLP. Interview should be up sometime tomorrow(or today).
You got that right bud! Here's the link to the interview for those who are interested.
Bill Clinton Gets Quizzed on Ponies
Starts at about the 6:15 mark

The questions were definitely soft ball, but it was pretty humorous overall. Also right after the questions they interviewed an old intern of theirs who is a fan of the show. It's short, but decent and paints fans in a better light than last week's segment.
Interview with a Fan

Maxim726X

tiff said:
Asking why is kinda dumb when it's pretty easy to find out for yourself though.

Is it?

Again, my question isn't WHY people like the show, it is more a question of how it has become the phenomenon that it has.

And I am reading the OP.

McNum

Maxim726X said:
Is it?

Again, my question isn't WHY people like the show, it is more a question of how it has become the phenomenon that it has.

And I am reading the OP.
Well, for one, like most internet phenomenons, it passed through 4chan. Where it blew up. Then to Something Awful. Where it blew up. From there, links started spreading all over the internet, as they usually do, until it hit critical mass and became a meme. Now there are dedicated pony sites, both of the clean and somewhat creepy variants, and the meme has stabilized into an internet fandom.

Add to that that the show is actually pretty good, especially for a My Little Pony show, and you've got the recipe for an unintentional internet phenomenon.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
McNum said:
Well, for one, like most internet phenomenons, it passed through 4chan. Where it blew up. Then to Something Awful. Where it blew up. From there, links started spreading all over the internet, as they usually do, until it hit critical mass and became a meme. Now there are dedicated pony sites, both of the clean and somewhat creepy variants, and the meme has stabilized into an internet fandom.

Add to that that the show is actually pretty good, especially for a My Little Pony show, and you've got the recipe for an unintentional internet phenomenon.
And that closes this book.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Maxim726X said:
Is it?

And I am reading the OP.
History of show and toy line animation and it's creators; voices; songs; etc., irony, and availability.

I think out of all these, availability is the first hurdle. I don't got all the channels out there, no DVR to speak of, and I'm not around to sit down and watch TV all too much anyways.
You could tell me there is a great show on TV right now, and I'd be likely not to even bother because I don't have the time. This show has been lenient on how it's distributed so anyone really can search it on youtube and watch the whole series.

KtSlime

McNum said:

How do people not get this? Everything on the Internet follows the same path.

Ideas start in The Idea Abyss -> Forms into a Meme at 4chan -> Gains Notoriety at Something Awful -> Spreads to Message Boards on Internet -> Appears on Late Night TV -> Appears in Daytime Talkshows -> Is adopted by The Commercial -> Enters Public Popculture and Perception.

We are somewhere between phase 6 and 8 right now. Most all ideas go through this progression in some form or another. Nonexistance/reinterpretation -> Underground -> Commercial Success -> Public Awareness.

mj1108

n8BitMan said:
History of show and toy line animation and it's creators; voices; songs; etc., irony, and availability.

I think out of all these, availability is the first hurdle. I don't got all the channels out there, no DVR to speak of, and I'm not around to sit down and watch TV all too much anyways.
You could tell me there is a great show on TV right now, and I'd be likely not to even bother because I don't have the time. This show has been lenient on how it's distributed so anyone really can search it on youtube and watch the whole series.

Kudos to Hasbro for being so lenient on it. Then again, they are wanting to sell toys so any way to get the show out there in front of people can only help them.

Quick (paraphrased) MLP-related Summer of Sonic anecdote I thought I'd share.

Queued for aaaages to meet Yuji Naka (creator of Sonic) and Takashi Iizuka (Head of Sonic Team, designer on all the good Sonics), and got there just in time to get my stuff signed, which led to the best part of the day. My friend Becky goes up to Yuji Naka, wearing a custom shirt featuring Sonic riding on Rainbow Dash. Naka sees it, and a curious look crosses his face.

Naka: "What is that?"
Becky: "Oh, it's Rainbow Dash."

*Yuji turns to Iizuka*

Naka: "Nani wo... Lainbow Dashu desu?"

*Iizuka shrugs*

Maxim726X

McNum said:

If only you were around earlier in the previous thread... A lot of time could have been saved. Thanks for the explanation. It just seemed odd to me that there was so much venom- On both sides of the fence- and I just wondered how it got to that point.

Question: Would you say, honestly, that the following the show has nothing to do with combating social norms, or being socially rebellious? Is it all truly out of love for the show?

I've seen an episode (don't remember which one) and I agree with the notion that it isn't written strictly for teenage girls, which does make it different. However I have yet to see what others claim to see... Perhaps I haven't watched enough, or watched the wrong episode.

KtSlime

Stupacabra said:
Quick (paraphrased) MLP-related Summer of Sonic anecdote I thought I'd share.

Queued for aaaages to meet Yuji Naka (creator of Sonic) and Takashi Iizuka (Head of Sonic Team, designer on all the good Sonics), and got there just in time to get my stuff signed, which led to the best part of the day. My friend Becky goes up to Yuji Naka, wearing a custom shirt featuring Sonic riding on Rainbow Dash. Naka sees it, and a curious look crosses his face.

Naka: "What is that?"
Becky: "Oh, it's Rainbow Dash."

*Yuji turns to Iizuka*

Naka: "Nani wo... Lainbow Dashu desu?"

*Iizuka shrugs*

Haha. Maybe I should get back subbing an episode, for Naka. It will have to wait till after tests though.

PS: Practice your grammar!

Maxim726X: It could be both, most things are both. Idea appears -> enters realm of discourse -> enters either orthodoxy or heterodoxy -> the new reinterpretation of the original idea enters doxa -> doxa gets noticed -> enters realm of discourse -> etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom