• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orcastar

DrForester said:
Mind = blown.

Also, comic time!

d3cCW.png

Dammit Twilight, could you be any more adorkable?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Quinnjaminn said:
The sad thing is, I'm sure some troll is cropping out the first three panels and storing it for future use.

Who cares? Here's more human ponies!
my first and last one

uv1rp.png

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
OMG Aero said:
Hey you know what's a good introductory episode? The first episode.
Seriously the whole "But the first two episodes aren't like the others!" thing is way overblown. There are adventure-lite episodes in the rest of the series and if the descriptions of the first two episodes of series 2 are right, then series 2 is going to start the same way the first series did so "The rest of the series isn't like this" isn't really a good reason not to recommend them.
People are also discussing which episode offers good introductions to the characters and there is literally no better episode for this right now than episode 1. I was just as dismissive of the show as the next guy before I started watching it, but I started watching episode 1 and that got me hooked nonetheless. There are probably a lot more people here who started the same way.

The first two episodes are good introductory episodes, but people who go in wanting to hate it will likely not be swayed by the first two episodes. I think that's why people debate about it so much.

Cheerilee

DrForester said:
I liked the first episodes. Great introduction to the characters. No, it's not that representative of how the stories of the series will go, but that doesn't make it less enjoyable.
Except for the part where Jayson Thiessen says he likes the first two episodes, and wants MLP:FIM to return to that style on occasion.

Lauren Faust (our first leader) wanted Sailor Moon ponies. Corporate Hasbro wanted less scary action, so we got Azumanga ponies. Jayson Thiessen (our current leader) wants it to be both.

TouchMyBox said:
The first two episodes are good introductory episodes, but people who go in wanting to hate it will likely not be swayed by the first two episodes. I think that's why people debate about it so much.
I don't see a significant difference between the first and later eps in regards to haters. I think part of that sentiment comes from people just being generally opposed to the show at first (everybody is) but warming up to the show over a few episodes if they give it a chance. But then trying to find some scapegoat to blame for the warmup time. "No, I didn't have preconceived notions. It was the episodes that were bad. If they were good, I would've been hooked instantly." And then they need to try and find an episode that hooks instantly. It's a mistake. Just let the series be what it is. If people don't like it, maybe they should give it more time. If they can't give it more time, that's okay. No show is for everybody.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ruby_onix said:
Lauren Faust (our first leader) wanted Sailor Moon ponies. Corporate Hasbro wanted less scary action, so we got Azumanga ponies. Jayson Thiessen (our current leader) wants it to be both.

Azumanga ponies are best ponies. Sailor Moon ponies are not my thing. =/

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
TouchMyBox said:

People who go in wanting to hate the show will hate the show for whatever reason. People who go in with a somewhat open mind may or may not enjoy the show. I started with the first 2 episodes towards the end of season 1 myself.

ruby_onix said:
Except for the part where Jayson Thiessen says he likes the first two episodes, and wants MLP:FIM to return to that style on occasion.

I don't see a significant difference between the first and later eps in regards to haters. I think part of that sentiment comes from people just being generally opposed to the show at first (everybody is) but warming up to the show over a few episodes if they give it a chance. But then trying to find some scapegoat to blame for the warmup time. "No, I didn't have preconceived notions. It was the episodes that were bad. If they were good, I would've been hooked instantly." And then they need to try and find an episode that hooks instantly. It's a mistake. Just let the series be what it is. If people don't like it, maybe they should give it more time. If they can't give it more time, that's okay. No show is for everybody.

100% agreed. There is no best introductory episode, everyone is looking for something different. May as well just watch the show in order and hope for the best. If people don't end up liking the show, that's perfectly fine. As Ruby said no show is for everybody.

Ashenai

Neo Member
TouchMyBox said:

Yeah, I agree with ruby_onix. It takes time and effort for some people to overcome the "ME? Watch MY LITTLE PONY???" thing, and there's no magic episode that can do it for them. And some people aren't willing to give it a real chance, or do give it a chance and decide it's not for them, and that's fine too. We don't have to look for the perfect scene that's sure to change their minds.

Ultimoo said:
still don't think party of one is a good intro episode.
I agree. I feel that episode has a bit more impact if the characters are already established. Otherwise that's one hell of a first impression of Pinkie Pie. Granted, the intro shows Pinkie at her finest but later on... well. Yeah.

OMG Aero

Party of One is a bad introduction because the character shift for Pinkie doesn't mean anything unless you've seen what she's like over the course the series.
It's the same as Fluttershy in The Best Night Ever, if that's the first time you've seen Fluttershy then that whole moment is lost on you. The reason that part is so funny/surprising is because if you have watched the past 25 episodes you know that this isn't who Fluttershy is.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Even though Party of One is one of my favorite episodes, I have to agree that it's a bad intro. The fun in the episode is all about Pinkie's snap, and there's nothing to compare it to if you hadn't seen her normally.

Theonik

OMG Aero said:
Party of One is a bad introduction because the character shift for Pinkie doesn't mean anything unless you've seen what she's like over the course the series.
It's the same as Fluttershy in The Best Night Ever, if that's the first time you've seen Fluttershy then that whole moment is lost on you. The reason that part is so funny/surprising is because if you have watched the past 25 episodes you know that this isn't who Fluttershy is.
You do get to see pinkie being pinkie for the first half of the episode though. I didn't think it was a particularly bad intro ep. I basically went, party one then watched them all in series.
Edit: not ideal though.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
A bigger issue with introducing people to the show is getting them to watch it in the first place. I think the actual episode they watch isn't nearly as important as that.

Orcastar

Ok, so anyone interested in the show should just start with the pilot and if they don't like it enough to see the rest then that's perfectly fine. I actually really liked the pilot episodes too and hope we get more similar episodes in season 2 even after the two-part opener.

Anyways now that we got that out of the way, it's time for some fanart:

akira28

DrForester said:
Might as well get it done in this thread. Celestia is pretty much like Dumbledore. She'll point Twilight and the gang in the right direction, but wants to let them overcome problems themselves.

But you know that Dumbledore was literally asking questions so that Harry would take the bait and go down the garden path. That's a troll, is it not? She's not malicious, but I think her firmest supporter may have finally confirmed Trollestia

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
akira28 said:
But you know that Dumbledore was literally asking questions so that Harry would take the bait and go down the garden path. That's a troll, is it not? She's not malicious, but I think her firmest supporter may have finally confirmed Trollestia

Dumbledore was not a troll overall, but no question he totally trolled Harry

Ashenai said:
Yeah, I agree with ruby_onix. It takes time and effort for some people to overcome the "ME? Watch MY LITTLE PONY???" thing, and there's no magic episode that can do it for them. And some people aren't willing to give it a real chance, or do give it a chance and decide it's not for them, and that's fine too. We don't have to look for the perfect scene that's sure to change their minds.

I don't think it's just the resistance to liking MLP, either. Really I think Sonic Rainboom and Party of One are just the biggest example of what happens in the whole series: almost everything that's good about it comes from knowing and liking the characters. Until you've come to know and like them over the course of the pilots and the ticket master, it's a slow burn (I remember watching the pilots, deciding that it wasn't terrible but not for me, and shelving the show. I didn't get hooked until a week later when I had insomnia and needed osmething to clear my brain).

akira28

DrForester said:
Dumbledore was not a troll overall, but no question he totally trolled Harry

Well she still holds her day-job as the eternal empress of Equestria.

She just has things she does on the side, that she uses to "keep the ball rolling".
mvEwq.jpg

Calpain

Late to the party, but I'm glad to see PonyGAF back in OT and with such a calm reception so far! Well done everyone!
I haven't been posting much due to Uni and due to having little to contribute, but I look forward to the discussion once season two begins!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
The first two episodes are really fine for beginning with, even if Swarm of the Century or Bridle Gossip may be better. If you aren't able to at least enjoy the pilot, it is very unlikely that you'll get to love the show by watching any other episode.

Quinnjaminn said:
A bigger issue with introducing people to the show is getting them to watch it in the first place. I think the actual episode they watch isn't nearly as important as that.
That's always been a big deal whenever friends ask me why I watch MLP and I ask if they want to watch. Like mentioned before, it's not a matter of how great an episode can be, or if there is a very specific episode that can pull anyone in, it's more whether the person is receptive to the whole "I'm watching cartoon ponies" thing.
A lot of people just can't cope with the fact that a show that was supposedly meant for little girls can actually be enjoyed by other demographics and they just can't accept that the show can be enjoyed by them either. You go in with a bad attitude into any show and you can come out hating it.

LuffyZoro

I started with the first 2, but I think Dragonshy would be a good opener. Party of One and Sonic Rainboom are my two favorite episodes, but they're too character-focused to begin with.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Fish said:
Ponies playing video games was a theme this week, so I drew this.

Ahahaaaa, clever :D

Mine was this one, not as thought-out as yours

SYcWY.jpg

McNum

I find it funny that on average, the second favorite PonyGAF episode is Suited for Success. In which Rarity offers to make beautiful party dresses for the other five. And yes, this is one of the better episodes of season one, partly for the song, and partly for Rarity (and her voice actor) who just steals the spotlight and makes things awesome. And about 20% cooler, at Dash's request.

But as an introduction? Not this one. It's difficult enough to sell the idea of My Little Pony, so starting with the pretty dress makeover episode might be too much. And also, the episode is a little better if you already know who Rarity is.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
McNum said:
I find it funny that on average, the second favorite PonyGAF episode is Suited for Success. In which Rarity offers to make beautiful party dresses for the other five. And yes, this is one of the better episodes of season one, partly for the song, and partly for Rarity (and her SINGING VOICE actor) who just steals the spotlight and makes things awesome. And about 20% cooler, at Dash's request.

Fixed. Rarity singing voice actor should be her only voice actor.

DrForester said:
I dunno about that. I wonder if she'd be able to handle Rarity's expert whining and I wonder if she'd be able to properly portray Rarity wallowing in... whatever it is that ponies are supposed to wallow in.

kunonabi

DrForester said:

Hell no. Her regular VA is perfect and makes so many of her bits better. The whining, wallowing, slumber party ep, etc. I like her singing voice but using just her is a bad idea. Rarity has a big range of emotions and attitudes that show up much more regularly than the rest of the ponies and her VA makes it work flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom