• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DrForester said:
Well, lets be honest, they're all pretty big Jerks to Spike. Pinkie didn't even invite him to Gummy's Birthday party or after party, party.

Twilight replaces Spike with an owl and claims that she just needs an extra helper during the night, yet Owlowiscious proceeds to help her during the day.

Rarity has Spike take out her garbage, and won't acknowledge him beyond that

Pinkie Pie doesn't invite Spike to her parties and only invites him over when she needs something from him

Rainbow Dash is a known dragon-kicker

Applejack dragged her friends with her to Appleloosa, leading Spike to get dragon-napped

Fluttershy <3's baby dragons.

I think we can conclude from the evidence above, that Fluttershy is the best pony.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Firehead said:
You're... You're going to use it until the premier, right? Right?

I like to imagine my Chandler Rossington is actually a human pony instead.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TouchMyBox said:
Twilight replaces Spike with an owl and claims that she just needs an extra helper during the night, yet Owlowiscious proceeds to help her during the day.

Rarity has Spike take out her garbage, and won't acknowledge him beyond that

Pinkie Pie doesn't invite Spike to her parties and only invites him over when she needs something from him

Rainbow Dash is a known dragon-kicker

Applejack dragged her friends with her to Appleloosa, leading Spike to get dragon-napped

Fluttershy <3's baby dragons.

I think we can conclude from the evidence above, that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Well Pegasus are best ponies. RD has never really done anything to Spike either way...

DrForester said:
Well Pegasus are best ponies. RD has never really done anything to Spike either way...

Just wait until he's all grown up... That's when the kicking happens.

Also, Rainbow Dash didn't even invite spike to Cloudsdale. What's up with that?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TouchMyBox said:
Just wait until he's all grown up... That's when the kicking happens.

Also, Rainbow Dash didn't even invite spike to Cloudsdale. What's up with that?

No, Twilight didn't invite Spike to Cloudsdale. Rainbow Dash didn't think anyone but Fluttershy could come with her.

jogarrr

TouchMyBox said:
Fluttershy is most definitely the best pony.. in Bizarro Equestria. :p

DrForester said:
Every time someone calls her a troll, Fluttershy cries.
Celestia is most certainly not a troll, but neighby just this once I'll call her one.. nah.

DrForester said:
Prank, and even Spike laughed it off.

The tears were out of frame.

DrForester said:
No, Twilight didn't invite Spike to Cloudsdale. Rainbow Dash didn't think anyone but Fluttershy could come with her.

But she wished that only the ponies could come with her. Poor spike has never gotten to see a sonic rainboom.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TouchMyBox said:
But she wished that only the ponies could come with her. Poor spike has never gotten to see a sonic rainboom.

It was a comment to the people who where there. She didn't exclude Spike, he just wasn't at the Library when she crashed in.

Forgot a little something for EatChildren in there.

wnvPd.jpg

b5Iur.jpg

I think the Fluttershy love is causing an overrating of Dragonshy for introductory purposes. She's really what makes the episode- the ensemble stuff at the start is only average for the show. And if you don't already know and like Fluttershy, her overcoming her timidity in the climax is a lot less impactful.

I like Bridle Gossip best. It's an ensemble cast, one of the best episodes, and nothing hooks newfoals like Flutterguy. After they're hooked, I go with the characterization heavy episodes, either the pilots or Ticket Master and Cutie Mark Chronicles.

Regulus Tera said:
Why is there blood on Fluttershy's breast?

That's not Fluttershy. That's not Fluttershy at all.
That's not blood. It's... uh... er... hm... It's the remnants of the soup she tried to offer the dragon after he swatted it out of her hands.

Yeah.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dragonshy relies too much on the character archetypes to entertain the audience; Twilight is methodical, Dash is rambunctious, Pinkie Pie is random, etcetera. The best episodes are the ones that put the characters out of their comfort zone -Party of One, Best Night Ever, and Swarm of the Century come to mind. They all stress the cast's personalities to their boiling point and are very refreshing to look at because they give the ponies an extra layer of character.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Confused101 said:
Forgot a little something for EatChildren in there.

b5Iur.jpg
Someone explain the material "metal" to whoever hat drawn this. That's not how it works, pal. Then again, you could tell that to Iron Man, too :(

Bonus props to the magical hovering shoulderpads.

Orcastar

Regulus Tera said:
Dragonshy relies too much on the character archetypes to entertain the audience; Twilight is methodical, Dash is rambunctious, Pinkie Pie is random, etcetera. The best episodes are the ones that put the characters out of their comfort zone -Party of One, Best Night Ever, and Swarm of the Century come to mind. They all stress the cast's personalities to their boiling point and are very refreshing to look at because they give the ponies an extra layer of character.
I completely agree with this, but they still don't work as introductory episodes since you need to know the characters first.

Oh and wasn't that Fluttershy drawn by one of the animators of the show, or am I thinking of something else?

Jarmel

Banned
DrForester said:
Every time someone calls her a troll, Fluttershy cries.

Might as well get it done in this thread. Celestia is pretty much like Dumbledore. She'll point Twilight and the gang in the right direction, but wants to let them overcome problems themselves.

That's why she sent invitations to Twilight's friends hoping they would wreck the Gala. That's trolling everybody else. Instead of say just cancelling the Gala or doing something on her own to lighten the Galla up, she used Twilight's friends.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Orcastar said:
I completely agree with this, but they still don't work as introductory episodes since you need to know the characters first.
I don't think the first two episodes are good at establishing the characters either, Twilight Sparkle and Spike aside. They are given very little screen time and are dumb caricatures of themselves. Plus, the episodic nature of the show makes it easy to just jump at any point without feeling like you are missing something. Dragonshy is a good introductory episode (although not great) because it reinstates the cast's traits without making it feel like a retread. Fluttershy is also re-established within the same continuity -we get the impression that she is amicable with animals, but timid around other ponies and, of course, dragons. Not much else is needed to know about her.

TenaciousNorth said:
Ok I'm convinced and will give this a shot, how many episodes in the first season?

26. The past few pages have a ton of discussion on ideal introductory episode, if you're not inclined to start from the beginning (the pilots are generally not liked very much, and can give a false impression because the rest of the show is at least a little bit different).

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Amibguous Cad said:
26. The past few pages have a ton of discussion on ideal introductory episode, if you're not inclined to start from the beginning (the pilots are generally not liked very much, and can give a false impression because the rest of the show is at least a little bit different).
they're not that bad. i liked the fluttershy ep.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Nbhpi.png

Something I was doing for the past few hours. I'm thinking of doing more to it and turning it into my avatar in time for the season premiere.

I'm quite fond of the horn.

karby

Jarmel said:
That's why she sent invitations to Twilight's friends hoping they would wreck the Gala. That's trolling everybody else. Instead of say just cancelling the Gala or doing something on her own to lighten the Galla up, she used Twilight's friends.

Damn. Well, when you put it that way, that's kinda fucked up.
Celestia++.
Will troll again.

Theonik

EatChildren said:
20% cooler version
Jarmel said:
At the same time being the ruler of equestria she is also presumably bound to certain customs and rules of conduct with regards to high society. She probably couldn't do that, otherwise I doubt she'd endure the gala for several years.

Theonik

Complex Shadow said:
nah. i say we let it ride.
It's confusing to follow 2 threads though. Perhaps if this thread was dedicated to fan stuff and the other season 2 only but that would be too much imo.

jogarrr

Since we're talking about episodes, anyone have the final episode rankings from the voting that went on in the synctubes a couple months ago? I'm curious how it turned out. I wasn't there to vote 1000 on The Show Stoppers but I'm sure it got at least a 5 right?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Ellis Kim said:
Something I was doing for the past few hours. I'm thinking of doing more to it and turning it into my avatar in time for the season premiere.

I'm quite fond of the horn.

I like it, Ellis! Looks like a younger, chip-on-your-shoulder Belle.

OMG Aero

Hey you know what's a good introductory episode? The first episode.
Seriously the whole "But the first two episodes aren't like the others!" thing is way overblown. There are adventure-lite episodes in the rest of the series and if the descriptions of the first two episodes of series 2 are right, then series 2 is going to start the same way the first series did so "The rest of the series isn't like this" isn't really a good reason not to recommend them.
People are also discussing which episode offers good introductions to the characters and there is literally no better episode for this right now than episode 1. I was just as dismissive of the show as the next guy before I started watching it, but I started watching episode 1 and that got me hooked nonetheless. There are probably a lot more people here who started the same way.

Ashenai

Neo Member
Yeah I started with the first episodes and got hooked with Fluttershy's introduction like everyone else, I think it's fine to watch the episodes in order. I think the first two eps are underrated.

UberTag

OMG Aero said:
I was just as dismissive of the show as the next guy before I started watching it, but I started watching episode 1 and that got me hooked nonetheless. There are probably a lot more people here who started the same way.
If Fluttershy doesn't win someone over with her reluctant squeak and her subsequent fangirling over Spike, she never will.

I can see where diehard fans of some of the other mane cast (especially Dash) will refute the intro effectiveness (aka "coolness") of Episodes 1 & 2.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jarmel said:

She was trying to get the aristocracy to lighten up a bit, and that was a good way to do it. Not to mention it helped teach Twilight and Co. yet another good lesson about friendship.

OMG Aero said:
Hey you know what's a good introductory episode? The first episode.
Seriously the whole "But the first two episodes aren't like the others!" thing is way overblown. There are adventure-lite episodes in the rest of the series and if the descriptions of the first two episodes of series 2 are right, then series 2 is going to start the same way the first series did so "The rest of the series isn't like this" isn't really a good reason not to recommend them.
People are also discussing which episode offers good introductions to the characters and there is literally no better episode for this right now than episode 1. I was just as dismissive of the show as the next guy before I started watching it, but I started watching episode 1 and that got me hooked nonetheless. There are probably a lot more people here who started the same way.

Im with you, I love the series as a whole, and I really like how it starts and then goes up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I liked the first episodes. Great introduction to the characters. No, it's not that representative of how the stories of the series will go, but that doesn't make it less enjoyable.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Regarding the best episode to start with, I started my most recent brony friend with Swarm of the Century. It remains true to every character's personality, but doesn't rely on knowledge of the characters like Dragonshy or Sonic Rainboom. I picked it over the pilot because there seems to a better representation of the show contained in those 22 minutes. Of course, once he accepted the quality of the show, I had him start at the beginning. It also helped that he is a Star Trek fan, so the choice was pretty obvious.

Darte said:
Hey guys, while I may not be posting much these days, I haven't left the group! I've been working on a little PMV for AJ since shes under appreciated by the fandom. Been slow work since I've barely had time after I graduated (and here I thought unemployment would mean lots of free time, but instead its writing and sending out a million resumes!).

So I worked on this little country pmv for AJ in the 30mins to an hour free time I've had over the past 2 months and I've reworked a lot of it. I'm still kind of a noob at editing but this video marks a step towards more complex projects in the future.

Applejack -Set to Easton Corbin's "A little more country than that"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd7JB97DEHE

Germany folks: http://vimeo.com/28876187

Hope ya enjoy, x-posting to community!
This is awesome and didn't get enough love so I'm quoting. Great video editing skills, will watch for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom