• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The combat system in CoH was more traditional and CO is like an action game. That's what I liked about it. THe Sentai stuff was aa video I liked to show that.

Nishastra

Banned
If you want something that really plays like an action game, there's DCUO!

Shame it has such limited character customization and so little content. It's fun while it lasts, but it doesn't last long.

Jintor

What I really want is a singleplayer Superhero RPG mixing Bayonetta-esque action combat with other sequences where you do more typical RPG stuff

Also MMOs just don't work with storytelling, it's terrible

McNum

Thnikkaman said:
Yeah, I'll probably be employed and have an income by the time it goes f2p. At least I bought Going Rogue so I should have access to Praetoria under the free system. Maybe I should make an OT and interest check sometime...
An OT when City of Heroes: Freedom (what they call the F2P version) launches might be a good idea. 21 free mini-expansions and two expansions later... The City of Heroes that was originally released bares only a slight resemblance to what's being played now.

Nishastra

Banned
tiff said:
D-do you have something in mind?
Sadly not! I was just amused by how you said that :p

McNum said:
An OT when City of Heroes: Freedom (what they call the F2P version) launches might be a good idea. 21 free mini-expansions and two expansions later... The City of Heroes that was originally released bares only a slight resemblance to what's being played now.
The free accounts (and "premium" accounts) are so limited, though. I'm curious how losing some of my character slots will work when they're already filled with characters. I'm sure this has been answered on the boards, but I haven't bothered to look :p

Ellis Kim

Banned
Pankaks said:
Adding more daaawwwww.

WQ2ei.png
awww. I'd buy a plastic mold/PVC version of that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Thnikkaman said:
I know. It just seems like however much I tweak a character's proportions they look like a rubbery action figure. My CoH dudes look a *little* more realistic.

Nishastra said:
Um, how? CoH is nothing like any asian MMO... In any way... It's like the least-asian thing there is...

The game assumes that all female characters will have the largest possible breasts. It has baked-on enormous-breast shadows/shaders. I've still got screens from the first time I tried it, hold on...

Front

Side

It allows you to go so low, but it looks hideous if you actually do it. There's only a handful of costume pieces that don't do this, and they usually have other problems with it.

Also I really dislike the face(s) :p

It's the aesthetics/styling - realism + superhero design make me puke :p

Also I don't use human faces anyway :p

Jintor said:
What I really want is a singleplayer Superhero RPG mixing Bayonetta-esque action combat with other sequences where you do more typical RPG stuff

Also MMOs just don't work with storytelling, it's terrible

And much like Bayonetta, CO's "story" are essentially just poking fun on comic stuff, though Vibora Bay is pretty much a homage to 90s storytelling.

McNum

Nishastra said:
The free accounts (and "premium" accounts) are so limited, though. I'm curious how losing some of my character slots will work when they're already filled with characters. I'm sure this has been answered on the boards, but I haven't bothered to look :p
Ooh, I know! I know!

All your characters will be locked, but you'll be given two free keys, plus a key for each extra character slot you've unlocked. So if you have Going Rogue, you'll have two more keys, plus how many you've earned through the soon to be retired Veteran Rewards. None of your characters will be deleted, just put in stasis.

Paragon put out a basic overview here, but I hope they'll flesh it out a bit more when the launch grows near.

OMG Aero

I'm surprised a discussion about MMOs has gone on for this long without anyone mentioning the best one.

It's Phantasy Star Online

Calpain

Bufbaf said:
Great job, Buf! Always have loved your videos and it was great to see the work in progress for your picture, it's looking great!

As a MMO conversation seems to have sprung up overnight, I guess I'll chime in. I've played multiple MMOs over the years, UO, EQ, EQ2, WoW, EVE, and recently LoTRO until Cataclysm came out and everyone left the server I was on. Each game was fun in its own way and I wouldn't mind going back to any of them or even trying out some new MMO sometime.

Orcastar

Bufbaf said:
Nice work! And can't wait to see that finished picture.

Calpain said:
As a MMO conversation seems to have sprung up overnight, I guess I'll chime in. I've played multiple MMOs over the years, UO, EQ, EQ2, WoW, EVE, and recently LoTRO until Cataclysm came out and everyone left the server I was on. Each game was fun in its own way and I wouldn't mind going back to any of them or even trying out some new MMO sometime.
The only MMO I've played is WoW; started way back in vanilla, quit shortly after TBC came out and came back a couple of months after WLK was released. Played about 1,5 years in total. At first it was fun because I was playing with a couple of friends, then I found a really nice not-too-hardcore guild to raid with, but had to quit eventually because I could no longer follow their raiding schedule. By the time I came back in WLK many of the people I had played before had either quit or joined other quilds and it just wasn't the same anymore.

I have been thinking of giving EVE a go more than once, but from what I understand it's a much bigger timesink than WoW is.

Calpain

Orcastar said:
Nice work! And can't wait to see that finished picture.

The only MMO I've played is WoW; started way back in vanilla, quit shortly after TBC came out and came back a couple of months after WLK was released. Played about 1,5 years in total. At first it was fun because I was playing with a couple of friends, then I found a really nice not-too-hardcore guild to raid with, but had to quit eventually because I could no longer follow their raiding schedule. By the time I came back in WLK many of the people I had played before had either quit or joined other quilds and it just wasn't the same anymore.

I have been thinking of giving EVE a go more than once, but from what I understand it's a much bigger timesink than WoW is.
Your experience on WoW sounds similar to mine. I joined up when some friends of mine convinced me to play. Of course they eventually stop playing shortly after, but I did find a fun non-hardcore guild to mess around in until they went on a mass recruiting campaign some months later when they tried to get ready for raiding.

A lot of my friends from the guild moved on and I moved with them, but it was all downhill after that point. Once I hit 80 I quit soon after as the raiding scene wasn't really all that fun due to the scheduling and the seriousness over it all. Just wasn't worth it and I didn't feel like leveling another character to 80 so I just quit only after playing for about six months or so. I've done some searches for friends I remember on some WoW character databases and it appears they've moved on as well which is a big reason why I haven't gone back.

As for EVE, I had a lot of fun playing it three or so years ago. It can be quite a time sink as it has a huge learning curve (don't know how that has changed in three years mind you) but it does allow for a lot of freedom. I always loved the system they had for player controlled systems and how little empires can be established as a result. It was fun in itself reading about the war stories between corporations (player guilds) and stories of betrayal between players. Good times.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
2th said:
might want to fix the last image of belle. that is the one you made the mistake with and didnt give her a horn. otherwise it is awesome.
I know, noticed it after I uploaded of course :) Oh well, nobody knows Belle on Youtube anyway :p

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
2th said:
but we know. WE KNOW!!!!!
Just call it an early copy prototype characterization! See, now it's worth a lot for collectors!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Derpy really, really wanted to be a part of Equestria Daily's "Ponies Around the World" event, but Derpy's not that fast and arrived late in Lisbon for some sightseeing and photos.

But all is not lost, because PonyGAF can still enjoy the photos from Derpy's trip to the portuguese capital.

MsZT6l.jpg

qIEXBl.jpg

I3JFOl.jpg

JF56el.jpg

3IRG0l.jpg

We also noticed a pretty suspicious person. We thought she might be a brony.

32TwHl.jpg

(Thanks, Bakphoon ;) )

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Orcastar said:
WoW is also the only MMO I've played. I started at the end of TBC, and played until shortly after Ulduar was released in WotLK. I hopped between guilds a little, before getting invited into a serious guild that didn't dedicate every waking hour to raiding. It was a ton of fun while it lasted, but real life issues caused the guild leaders and most of the officers (including me) to decide to stop raiding. I thought about finding a new guild, but I really didn't want to go through the application process. For those who haven't played WoW, top guilds require extensive applications. The guild that was best suited for my gear/skill level required a damn essay, computer specs, screenshot of UI layout, spell rotations, and DPS charts.

I actually had my most fun in WoW in the month between stopping raiding and quitting altogether. I just did random dungeons with friends, including level 60 raids, and focused on making money. It was a blast learning how to control the market on the server, and it was pretty easy to earn gold once I followed the patterns. The weekly instance resets meant that prices followed a weekly cycle, and it was easy to buy and craft items when they were cheap and sell for 50% profit 4 days later. By the end of the month, I had over 120,000 gold, 4 filled banks, and a filled guild bank of materials. Now if only I could actually make money in real life...

Nishastra said:
If you want something that really plays like an action game, there's DCUO!

Shame it has such limited character customization and so little content. It's fun while it lasts, but it doesn't last long.
Yes DCUO was a good improvement on the system. Everyone should play DCUO (for a month then quit after 100% completing everything)

Orcastar

Calpain said:
A lot of my friends from the guild moved on and I moved with them, but it was all downhill after that point. Once I hit 80 I quit soon after as the raiding scene wasn't really all that fun due to the scheduling and the seriousness over it all. Just wasn't worth it and I didn't feel like leveling another character to 80 so I just quit only after playing for about six months or so. I've done some searches for friends I remember on some WoW character databases and it appears they've moved on as well which is a big reason why I haven't gone back.

As for EVE, I had a lot of fun playing it three or so years ago. It can be quite a time sink as it has a huge learning curve (don't know how that has changed in three years mind you) but it does allow for a lot of freedom. I always loved the system they had for player controlled systems and how little empires can be established as a result. It was fun in itself reading about the war stories between corporations (player guilds) and stories of betrayal between players. Good times.
I really enjoyed raiding in vanilla, but I suppose it's just because I was lucky enough to find a great guild for it. Like I said, our guild was pretty laid back so it was never that serious; sure we had schedules and used DKP for loot, but the actual raiding was always more about experienceing the end-game content than about achieving. Of course that also meant that we only got halway through Blackwing Lair before BC hit, but nobody was really bothered by that. Looking back, I suppose it's actually quite amazing that we managed to find enough like minded people for 40 man raids. Good times.

Later in BC and WotLK the guild did start to become much more serious and the raiding did become a chore, which is part of the reason I quit. Was fun while it lasted though. Sigh...
Quinnjaminn said:
For those who haven't played WoW, top guilds require extensive applications. The guild that was best suited for my gear/skill level required a damn essay, computer specs, screenshot of UI layout, spell rotations, and DPS charts.
That's the direction our guild started to go towards when I quit too. It was funny reading the extensive applications our recruits had to come up with and remembering that back in the day I had gotten in just because I had done some PVP with another player who was already in the guild at the time. Of course our GM and many of the officers had changed since the early days when this started to happen, but it still felt kinda like betraying the ideals the guild had originally stood for. Oh well, all good things must come to an end, I suppose.

EDIT: And just so we don't completely derail the thread, have some dawww AJ:

*Scootaloo transcends all lists and is so highly regarded that she steps aside to let others have first place, mainly because it's common knowledge that she's first in all lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom