• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

judhudson

So what kind of extras do they have in there, besides the extended theme song?

This. I can laugh at myself and the fact that I'm a big fan of a little girls' cartoon, but that video was just lazy. Even the MAD TV parody, while unfunny as well, at least had some effort put into it.

Extras:

* Sing Along
* Meet the Ponies
* Coloring Sheet
* Pilot Episode of new Pound Puppies (Secret Butt Fun!)

uncensored version of The Last Roundup right? It will go great with my vhs copy of Aladdin.

Correct, the one they originally aired.

Orcastar

My copy of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has shipped!
YAY!
Wait... there's more?

Your estimated delivery date is:
Thursday, April 5, 2012

oh.
I guess Shout Factory is following Google Maps' advice for deliveries and kayaking over the Pacific Ocean.

Orcastar

Super-heroine human ponies on art nouveau frames?

Super-heroine human ponies on art nouveau frames.

Applejack: super strength, agility and a magic lasso. Er, so she's essentially Wonder Woman.

Twilight: magic, duh.

Fluttershy: control over animals.

Rarity: glamour and telekinesis, which she uses to fling gems about?

Pinkie Pie: chaotic reality warping and hammerspace to pull weapons out of.

Rainbow Dash: Super speed and flight.

Mike M

Nick N
human pinkie reminds me of someone

15528.jpg

jdm3.jpg

Both immediately leaped to mind.

Man up and go buy it at a brick and mortar store, still only $10.

I would but that would involve me having to fly to America first.
As much as I enjoy ponies I think $10 + A Return Ticket to America is asking a tad bit too much.
If it included a Director's Commentary I would have thought about it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amy Keating Rogers (Writer for The Last Roundup) responds to Derpy-Gate

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/amy-keating-rogers-response-to-derpy.html

tl:dr version:

Name was Ditzy Doo until she was asked to change the name.

Her scene was to have been longer, establishing how she destroyed Town Hall.

She has a mental handicapped child and was not offended when she saw the episode.

Got very few angry Emails, but could understand people being offended

Is glad the name was dropped based solely on that it could be associated with "retarded"

Said the new voice is closer to the voice in her head as she wrote the script.

I would but that would involve me having to fly to America first.
As much as I enjoy ponies I think $10 + A Return Ticket to America is asking a tad bit too much.
If it included a Director's Commentary I would have thought about it.
What if, if you do this, I comment about it?

_Yes
_No

Amy Keating Rogers (writer of The Last Roundup) gives a big explanation for the whole Derpy fiasco

tldr version: Pony was originally Ditzy Doo, changed last minute to Derpy for fans. Got overwhelming positive response amid a minority of complaints. Hub trying to be fair toward complainers.

I guess it solidifies the fact that her name really was Ditzy. Personally I've always been partial to Ditzy being her name while Derpy being her nickname. I do hope there's a season 3 episode that can feature her in a prominent role, to show her clumsiness in a more positive light. And yeah I really like her new voice better.

EDIT: Damn beaten by Forrester

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Amy Keating Rogers (writer of The Last Roundup) gives a big explanation for the whole Derpy fiasco

tldr version: Pony was originally Ditzy Doo, changed last minute to Derpy for fans. Got overwhelming positive response amid a minority of complaints. Hub trying to be fair toward complainers.

I guess it solidifies the fact that her name really was Ditzy. Personally I've always been partial to Ditzy being her name while Derpy being her nickname. I do hope there's a season 3 episode that can feature her in a prominent role, to show her clumsiness in a more positive light. And yeah I really like her new voice better.

nope, derpy was always derpy. she was drawn and named as such by faust herself for that charity auction.

My two complaints are the off sounding re-record of Rainbow Dash's voice, and the fixing of the eyes. Oh well.

Derpy was named Ditzy Doo in winter wrap up. Faust named her fan drawing derpy for the fan auction for fan items to be fan sold to fans. Fans.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
When will thnikkaman return? All the little thnikkamaniacs in IRC are abiding by your parting words of "To all my little thnikkamaniacs, say your prayers to Luna, take your vitamins, and you will never go wrong."

Soon, soon. I'm abusing wi-fi in cafes, 3g on nights out (super sociable) and friends' houses for my Gaf and tumblr posting. My phone has started receiving service in this half of the city centre for mere minutes at a time, so progress is being made on the mast repairs I guess.

akira28

Nothing new. Pony's actual name is Derpy. And yeah the voice in her head yadda yadda who cares?

Original voice > edit.

PBalfredo

The reason for Derpy's voice change put to rest.

Derpy vs Ditzy canon name argument immediately reignites.

lol just can't stop the derpoversy

Seriously though, I'm glad we're getting a response on this. I'm sure this will help cool things down.

I wish they went with the option to just change the name, though. The name is really the crux of all this. It's the reason why all the Goofy's, Ralph Wiggim's and Screwballs of the world are fine, but Derpy causes people to write letters. They could have kept the googly eyes and the lispy voice, but with the name Ditzy, no one would have given a damn.

Which is a shame too because the fandom didn't give Derpy her name in mean-spirited redicule. And we all know that and continue to use the name because we all love the character. But when it's put on TV for the general audience without the context of the fandom's love for the character, someone's going to assume the show's using the name in the less common derogatory usage.

blerg

Cheerilee

Derpy's true factual origin was that of a no-name background pony. The censored version re-introduced the bulk of her original nothingness. An animation error gave her derped eyes, and Jayson Thiessen decided to keep it that way and make it deliberate. Jayson is essentially her creator.

Behind the scenes, she was apparently given many names like Stoneface, Bubbles, and Bubblehead, but none of them were remotely official. Nobody had found a perfect name for her, not even Jayson. When Internet-based fans watched the show, they near-unanimously chose Derpy Hooves as her name, suggested by persons unknown.

Winter Wrap Up, written by Cindy Morrow, implied that Ditzy Doo was her name. That implication was correct, in so far as Cindy apparently intended that name to be used for that pony, and that intent carried significant weight.

Around this time, production became aware of the fans' use of Derpy Hooves, and the show's producers started near-unanimously using Derpy Hooves as this character's name. There was also apparently some question as to weather or not Studio B/DHX was legally allowed to use a fan-submitted name of unknown origins in any official capacity, or if Hasbro was going to force them to use an alternate name put forward by contracted writers.

The writers had been asked to try and avoid fan interactions so as to avoid corrupting their writing (LOL, that was nice while it lasted), but they watch episodes, so Amy Keating Rogers was most aware of this pony's name having been used as Ditzy, and not Derpy. Jayson basically informed her.

I really don't get what the ableist squad wants from "Ditzy" (gag, that word has taken on new meaning in their anti-Derpy hands). They're trying to force a pony that amazingly emerged from nothingness back down into the nothingness, because everything about Derpy offends them, but they claim to still love her. Hey, I've got an even better pony for you. Her name is Go Away. Enjoy playing with her in your headcanon.

Nothing new. Pony's actual name is Derpy. And yeah the voice in her head yadda yadda who cares?

Original voice > edit.
The voice has nothing really to do with Amy Keating Rogers, since she didn't request a specific voice (she just expected generic), and wasn't offended by the one provided. She's just bringing it up because she feels slightly compelled to defend Hasbro's censorship.

The voice is the director and Tabitha St. Germain's concern, and IMO Tabitha's first voice was near-perfect (could grow to become just a touch faster and a touch more feminine if you ask me), since I like that it was unusual, and Tabitha's mistake in thinking Derpy was a boy was an appropriate derp. Although I don't dislike the new voice. It's just not Derpy. It's nameless background pony.

And the actual performance of both voices in the scene is inferior in the edit.

I wish they went with the option to just change the name, though. The name is really the crux of all this. It's the reason why all the Goofy's, Ralph Wiggim's and Screwballs of the world are fine, but Derpy causes people to write letters. They could have kept the googly eyes and the lispy voice, but with the name Ditzy, no one would have given a damn.

Which is a shame too because the fandom didn't give Derpy her name in mean-spirited redicule. And we all know that and continue to use the name because we all love the character. But when it's put on TV for the general audience without the context of the fandom's love for the character, someone's going to assume the show's using the name in the less common derogatory usage.

blerg
Calling her Ditzy wouldn't have solved anything, because a fraction of the fanbase will never be satisfied. We'd have people insisting on her fanon name. There are still people refusing to accept the names Hasbro put forward for other background ponies, or trying to claim that their "real names" are a combination of the two.

brian577

Banned
My two complaints are the off sounding re-record of Rainbow Dash's voice, and the fixing of the eyes. Oh well.

Derpy was named Ditzy Doo in winter wrap up. Faust named her fan drawing derpy for the fan auction for fan items to be fan sold to fans. Fans.

She was not named Ditzy in Winter Wrap Up. Not only was Ditzy only referred to off screen but Derpy actually returned with the southern birds.

blamite

Honestly I'm kind of sick of the whole Derpy thing at this point. It happened, everyone raged for a bit, we got an explanation. The new version exists on iTunes, the original s preserved everywhere else, including on the DVD. At this point it feels kind of pointless to keep arguing, it's so incredibly unlikely there will be any kind of change of heart, so all the arguing is just fans on various sides running around in circles. I don't like the change, but I'm ready to accept that it happened, and simply ignore the revision and keep watching the original (which is the best episode of the series IMO, with or without Derpy).

tafer

Honestly I'm kind of sick of the whole Derpy thing at this point. It happened, everyone raged for a bit, we got an explanation. The new version exists on iTunes, the original s preserved everywhere else, including on the DVD. At this point it feels kind of pointless to keep arguing, it's so incredibly unlikely there will be any kind of change of heart, so all the arguing is just fans on various sides running around in circles. I don't like the change, but I'm ready to accept that it happened, and simply ignore the revision and keep watching the original (which is the best episode of the series IMO, with or without Derpy).

Isn't the real problem with the whole thing that Hasbro/DHX may kill the character (and any other "fandom" reference) from the series to avoid further problems?

Isn't the real problem with the whole thing that Hasbro/DHX may kill the character (and any other "fandom" reference) from the series to avoid further problems?

Basically.

It's less "this episode was edited" and more "no more future Derpy appearances, Lyra and BonBon hanging out together, Berry Punch being concerned about lack of beverages, etc."

After the Derpy scene we assumed they would increase in frequency and obviousness, now they may go out of there way to be "careful" about being squeaky clean.

And that's not even counting the potential to never get stuff like the bear neck snap, the funeral from H&H, Mr. Cake's shifty eyes with his explanation of "his" kids, etc.

They'll go through the series with a fine tooth comb and sterilize it into G3 level crap.

or maybe i'm being over dramatic

Isn't the official stance on that possibility that it's not the case, and Derpy will continue her wall-eyed cameos as usual?

tafer

Amy Keating Rogers (Writer for The Last Roundup) responds to Derpy-Gate

tl:dr version:

Name was Ditzy Doo until she was asked to change the name.

Her scene was to have been longer, establishing how she destroyed Town Hall.

She has a mental handicapped child and was not offended when she saw the episode.

Got very few angry Emails, but could understand people being offended

Is glad the name was dropped based solely on that it could be associated with "retarded"

Said the new voice is closer to the voice in her head as she wrote the script.

... ugh, reading the whole thing is far worse than I expected, and for such unintended reason: "Someone somewhere was offended! We must fix!" (In this case, an over-sensitive and insignificant minority)

Even worse, now that the trolls and the ultra-sensitive are well aware that Hasbro is willing to respond to their "needs", there is a good chance that we'll see more of this issues in the future and/or the creators will start to apply additional self-censorship to their works. (On an already limited-by-its-intended-audience show)

yay

Cheerilee

Isn't the official stance on that possibility that it's not the case, and Derpy will continue her wall-eyed cameos as usual?

No, that's what one animator in the Philippines claimed.

DHX said that they weren't aware of any controversy, and that they expected nothing to come from it. Then they censored the episode. Then they went silent and stopped saying anything at all. Now we know that DHX got in trouble, and Hasbro made them censor themselves, because (as was previously theorized) of complaints from about ten flankhurt bronies.

blamite

Yeah I don't know, maybe I'm trying to be too hopeful and positive about this, but I really doubt it'll go that far. There's nothing to indicate that this is anything more than one isolated change, jumping to conclusions that this means an end to all easter eggs and background references to the fandom just seems like too big of a leap.

Orcastar

The fact is that you cannot make a TV show that will not offend anyone. You just can't, not even with a franchise as inherently inoffensive as My Little Pony. If you try, if the writers start to question themselves on every joke they write, if Hasbro starts to go through episodes with a fine-tooth comb to weed out anything that might offend anyone, the show will devolve into the bland and pointless mess that previous gens of MLP were. I hope Derpy's fate doesn't mean this will start happening, but it might.

Also:
grAuTl.jpg

Songbird

Prodigal Son
We need to call a moratorium on Derpygate at some point, IMO. It's changing nothing and every side has had fair points with the character extremely likely to persist (just read the Bronystate interview on Hasbro's involvement). The internet must let it rest, especially now Hasbro and the writer have had their say. Except for all those #savederpy fuckers.

And no I won't treat that Stephen Fry quote with any degree of respect or seriousness after some of his recent behaviour.

No.

or maybe i'm being over dramatic

Yes.

restinpeacederpy

brian577

Banned
We need to call a moratorium on Derpygate at some point, IMO. It's changing nothing and every side has had fair points with the character extremely likely to persist (just read the Bronystate interview on Hasbro's involvement). The internet must let it rest, especially now Hasbro and the writer have had their say. Except for all those #savederpy fuckers.

Just because your willing to roll over and die on the issue doesn't mean everyone else is
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
If we let them win this time without a fight (and by that I mean peaceful petitions) that just encourages more censorship.

Just because your willing to roll over and die on the issue doesn't mean everyone else is
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
If we let them win this time without a fight (and by that I mean peaceful petitions) that just encourages more censorship.

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom