• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Sup PonyGAF, just watched the first two episodes of MLP to see what the fuss is about, i couldn't believe how much i got into it.. What makes this so fun to watch?!

Because it's so awesome.

Welcome! I'm sure you'll stick around... >.>

60554%20-%20Hubble%20applejack%20hypnosis%20welcome_to_the_herd.gif

Black-Box

you know what, I am going to lose weight, and say its because of MLP because it got me to eat apples again..which is true...I love applessss

Ikael

Not exactly pony - related, but this is a subject of debate that truthly interest me, so pardon me if I kinda revive this polemic of yore. I hope that love and friendship can make us have a civil debate, even if our postures are completely opposites. Well, here we go:

Where in the world are you getting this from? In what way does the rationale for dropping Derpy have anything to do with the other background characters? How does the stated rationale for removing Derpy's name from the show, that it reinforces a narrative that contibutes to the marginalization of the mentally disabled in our society, at all implicate fluttershy's neck snap or the funeral in Heart's and Hooves Day?

And how does "derp" eyes and a goofy - like voice imply mental disability and a "marginalization" of the mentally disabled? I do have mentally disabled relatives (one little cousin of mine, love her to bits) and sure as hell she does not look like Derpy, unless strabism and spatial desorientation have now replaced mongoloid facial traits and diminished relational and deductive capabilities. They were clearly aiming at potraying a fool, not an actual mentally disabled person. I can't, for the love of God, try to draw any paralelism between my cousin Elena and Derpy, and I would need to be quite a horrible person to do it so, and if I would do, it would be my (huge) personal problem, not MLP's animators.

There is a tendency of some to lump those who censor because they personally dislike what is being shown with those who strive to hold media companies to their proper social responsibility concerning society's most vulnerable classes.

Because, in the end of the day, it IS censoreship, period. Censoreship with a good cause and the best of the intentions? It may be, since I don't have any means to look into anyone's mind I will take your word for it. But it is censoreship regardless: it is never a good thing and good cause doesn't justify it either. There are terrific works of art and satire with horrible, horrible messages behind it, and the world would be a far less interesting place without them (Birth of a Nation and Metropolis comes to mind). Yes, a business must keep a certain degree of social responsability, but I would personally like to live in a world where creative fredom takes precedent over corporate ettiquete.

It's a convenient justification for those who would like their media consumption habits to be hidden behind a veil of ignorance, completely immune from examination, critique, or criticism, but it's simply not true.

Sorry, but that's a strawman argument. Stop implying that you know the "true intentions" and thoughts of people that disagree with you, you don't.

There is no similarity between someone who argues from pique or animus against a certain kind of content, and those who strive to ensure that the media they consume do not, so far as possible, does not perpetuate injustice.

Media do not perpetuate injustice. Media is but a mirror of society, not its sculptor. Which is one of the reasons that I have against political correctness: sending an angry letter to a TV station is a far easier thing to do than doing something actually meaningful for a cause. It is a placebo, to put away the mirror because we don't like the image that it gaves back to us, nothing more.

Expanding our circle of concern to more of society's marginalized will no more kill humor than when we did the same thing for women and racial minorities last century. Third-rate comics may lament that their routines filled with nothing but "cunt" and "nigger" are no longer welcome(and indeed they are not- the modern world has no place for them) - but the MLP team, and indeed anyone of talent, are made of sterner stuff.

Expanding the circle of concern will mean that in order to avoid any polemic, the artists will just avoid introducing certain minorities since you know, the potrayal of said minorities might get them offended. Political correctness, with the best of their intentions, in the end results in the media invisibility of said minorities that it intend to protect. I am pretty sure that we will see fewer screwball ponies, cancer ponies, Zecoras and the like in the future after this incident. I mean, heterosexual, arian ponies are less likely to "offend" anyone, plus you don't have to devote the whole chapter to explain their complex social situation if you want them to appear without causing a ruckus, and being accused of perpetuating a sterotype, too *sigh*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sup PonyGAF, just watched the first two episodes of MLP to see what the fuss is about, i couldn't believe how much i got into it.. What makes this so fun to watch?!
Everytime I see your posts it freaks me out for a second

Yes I had my muffin (well scone is close, right?)

I did just finish this. Should've done this yesterday, but I've been so busy organizing and digitizing my massive DVD collection. Totally worth it though, XBMC rocks!

Anyway, some older PonyGAFers might remember me sharing shake recipes I made. Finally made a video version how-to for the Derpy shake. If it's popular enough, I'll do more videos for the others.

brian577

Banned
So where can I find out more about this "Synctube" thing? Ctrl+F in that season 2 thread and got nothing.

From the OP of this topic

The [REMOVED], with gatherings to watch episodes and new video creations happening at Saturday nights (Sun. 0:00 BST/WEST, Sat. 19:00 EDT, Sat. 16:00 PDT, Sun. 1:00 CEST).

Edit: Beaten

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
From the OP of this topic

The [REMOVED], with gatherings to watch episodes and new video creations happening at Saturday nights (Sun. 0:00 BST/WEST, Sat. 19:00 EDT, Sat. 16:00 PDT, Sun. 1:00 CEST).

Edit: Beaten
The times aren't right, let me edit them.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Yes I had my muffin (well scone is close, right?)

I did just finish this. Should've done this yesterday, but I've been so busy organizing and digitizing my massive DVD collection. Totally worth it though, XBMC rocks!

Anyway, some older PonyGAFers might remember me sharing shake recipes I made. Finally made a video version how-to for the Derpy shake. If it's popular enough, I'll do more videos for the others.
Great stuff! I tried almost every one of your previous smoothies, and loved them all, particularly the Pinkie Pie inspired one. Is this a different recipe from your previous Derpy smoothie?

If so, I'll be sure to try this one as well, if I can find the ingredients for it.

Cheerilee

I just told the OT thread to watch Sea Prince and the Fire Child, so I'm telling the Community thread to try and catch The Secret World of Arrietty in theaters if you can.

I just saw it earlier, and it was really good. It's basically The Borrowers (children's book) adapted into anime by Studio Ghibli. That should tell you all you need to know. I went in braced for a below-average Ghibli film and came out with one of my favorites (which kind of says a lot).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just watched episode 20 where Fluttershy becomes a famous model. It was another good one! I really liked it. Fluttershy was hilarious of course. When she tries to scream and squeaks. Lol and also when she kicks the vase hahaha, hilarious. Pinkie Pie was funny as shit too. FOR-E-VER! lol And then when she acted out digging a whole, covering it up, building a house over it and then moving into the house. Hahaha. Still can't get over Fluttershy's voice too. It's just funny every time she speaks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still, I love that how it's a take that to the retardedness of the fanbase (huuurrrr lyra should sit like that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom