• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

Sciz

Looks like they're releasing random comic stories together as collections. Apparently a similar thing is done with the Sonic comics, and of course similar things have been done with Archie. This first collection has the Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy micro series issues, and the Rainbow/Trixie Friends Forever issue. I'm guessing this is basically for super completionists and parents who don't know better, but it has new cover art.

Archie produces a lot of different types of collections in order to hit a broad array of distribution channels (comic books, magazines, digests, and trade paperbacks) and shelf space for maximum exposure. Not... really sure what IDW thinks they're going to accomplish with hardbacks, but there's probably some specific market segment they're trying to hit that the existing trades don't.

Village

Archie produces a lot of different types of collections in order to hit a broad array of distribution channels (comic books, magazines, digests, and trade paperbacks) and shelf space for maximum exposure. Not... really sure what IDW thinks they're going to accomplish with hardbacks, but there's probably some specific market segment they're trying to hit that the existing trades don't.

I'm interested in whatever market data made them go in this direction.

Short trailer for Rainbow Rocks that includes
pony Twilight jumping through the mirror portal and reuniting with the humans. I still don't like that they went this route, but whatever. Also, I guess this is after the end of season 4, because it looks like Twilight is in her new castle. I'm annoyed that once again Equestria Girls is providing our first look at something pony-related, but this isn't nearly as bad as being the first look at Princess Twilight outside of a musical number.

EDIT:
Also, Rainbow Rocks soundtrack is up. I haven't listened to it, but judging from the lack of buzz elsewhere, I'm guessing nothing story related really gets spoiled.

EDIT:
Read Friends Forever #9, and I was disappointed. In particular, Flim and Flam's conflict was resolved far more easily than I expected, and they didn't really do anything interesting with them being separated. They didn't even have them compete over the same crowd or anything! The art was good, however.

Also,
unnamed.jpg
wut

open spoilers about the only mystery in the movie thanks

Sorry about that, put it behind spoiler blocks. I figured it was a known factor already, and this is the trailer they plan on showing in theaters (during that part where they show TV commercials and behind the scenes things).

McNum

open spoilers about the only mystery in the movie thanks
I'm not so sure that's the only mystery of the movie left anymore...

Like what's up with this? (Spoilers?) EqD Link

Why does
Sunset Shimmer have a "Time to Shine" doll with gigantic butterfly wings
? Did that toy just spoil the climax of the movie?

Tenumi

Banned
Short trailer for Rainbow Rocks that includes
pony Twilight jumping through the mirror portal and reuniting with the humans. I still don't like that they went this route, but whatever. Also, I guess this is after the end of season 4, because it looks like Twilight is in her new castle. I'm annoyed that once again Equestria Girls is providing our first look at something pony-related, but this isn't nearly as bad as being the first look at Princess Twilight outside of a musical number.

What's really of interest to me, but likely won't ever be acknowledged in show/move is
whether or not there is a Twilight Sparkle in the human world. Seeing as the pictures in the first movie didn't have her and that they react to her return, that points to there not being one.

Also, I really, REALLY, need to get back to drawing, or rather relearning how to draw.

Not directly pony related, but ED was given a preview of M.A. Larson's upcoming children's chapter book, Pennyroyal Academy. The preview is 25 pages, but it's children's book pages.

It's decent enough so far, for what it is. I liked the portrayal of the witch, but the as-of-yet unnamed protagonist (named Evie in the synopsis) and Remmington aren't too interesting, and the dragon scale's foreshadowing was a bit ham-fisted. Plus, a school for knights is understandable, but princesses? Are there that many vacancies in kingdoms? And why aren't there any princes being taught? Hopefully that gets explained more.

Someone besides me please post

Psxphile

Not really all that much to talk about on my end. I have zero interest in Equestria Grills. Or the merch in general. The occasional embedded fanart gets a raised eyebrow from me, if not much else.

There's always so much My Little Pony merchandise I want to buy. But I can't afford it all.

I mix a little bit of My Little Pony and Sailor Moon things to wear out a lot. And Pokemon, too.
But there's so many things to buy. I wish I could afford it all.

Capture.JPG

Theories here
EDIT: And CM makes Cindy Morrow

EDIT: It seems like all of the news is today. New comic solicitations!

MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC #26
Cover A
(W) Katie Cook (A) Andy Price (CA) Andy Price, Agnes Garbowska
All plans to stop the Cattle Rustler gang have failed! Hope seems to be in short supply in the small town of Canter Creek. Luckily a new sheriff is in town… Applejack!

MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDS FOREVER #12
Cover A
Subscription cover
(W) Barbara Kesel (A/CA) Brenda Hickey
Pinkie Pie meets her match… in the form of delicious, irresistible snacks called PheNOMNOMenons! With Pinkie helpless to resist the tasty treats, she enlists help from her friend Twilight! Will Twilight be able to help her friend or will she succumb to her sweet tooth as well?

MY LITTLE PONY EQUESTRIA GIRLS HOLIDAY SPECIAL
Cover A
(W) Ted Anderson (A/CA) Tony Fleecs
It’s holiday time at Canterlot High! Sunset Shimmer is still getting used to life on campus, and her new friends. When mean rumors start to circulate, all signs point to Sunset as the source. Will she be able to find the true meaning of the holidays and clear her name?

Comments:
1. Odd that the Cattle Rustlers are so hard to deal with when Applejack and Rarity beat them up in their Friends Forever issue without trying, but whatever. Also, I guess the other characters are present for this story after all, judging from the cover.
2. This looks like a fun issue. I like the second cover more than the first, solely due to Twilight carrying a whistle and a stop sign. Apparently the artist, Brenda Hicky, tweeted earlier that Twilight's castle was a pain to draw, so I guess this will be the first issue we know of to take place after season 4. Kind of surprising; hopefully this means that season 5 starts before this comic comes out.
3. Everyone looks weird on that cover. It looks like this takes place between the two movies, making it so that Twilight does not appear in any Equestria Girls comic. As for the story... "true meaning of the holidays"? Bleh. Hopefully this means that the true story is that Sunset is trying to hibernate through the winter but all of her friends at Jellystone Park wake her up and show her that it's better to stay up during the holidays. And this happens to her twice. Well, not going to buy this one anyway.

PaulloDEC

Someone besides me please post

Just so you know, I've been keeping up with all your posts even if I haven't been replying. You're doing fine work Sigma!

Lots of interesting stuff in that last post, and I'm particularly glad we'll be seeing a return from Cindy Morrow.

McNum

I'm trying to get faster at drawing. It's a work in progress. Expect to see my post several pieces of art in the future and complain about how long it took to draw that, while actually having been decently quick at it anyway.

With that in mind.... twins!

the_lotus_sisters_by_mcnum-d7zj8n4.png

Link!

Three days, although yesterday can be excused due to external factors, so two days. I'd like a drawing like this to be done in one, so there's work to do to speed up. Like not having to redraw so many lines.

I need a new idea and Hyrule Warriors is coming up soon, so... yeah, probably won't see another drawing from me this week, unless I get a really fun idea.

Cheerilee

Wow. But maybe not a bad thing.

The Hub was a money-loser stuck in an endless "we're trying to grow and establish ourselves" phase against bigger players, while it was questionable if cable networks would even matter by the time Hub caught up, and even if it did, Discovery would reap 50% of the rewards for Hasbro's effort.

Hasbro is allowed to continue providing shows from 9am to 3pm? When everybody is at work/school? Terrible time slot. Hasbro should walk away from Discovery.

The Hub motivated Hasbro to build and grow Hasbro Studios, which has done well, even though it was handcuffed to a small, fledgeling network.

The toy-sales advertising boost of having good cartoons allowed Hasbro to pay for The Hub's losses, but if Hasbro can find a new home on a better network, they should see bigger gains across the board with fewer anchors dragging them down.

PaulloDEC

I'm trying to get faster at drawing. It's a work in progress. Expect to see my post several pieces of art in the future and complain about how long it took to draw that, while actually having been decently quick at it anyway.

With that in mind.... twins!

the_lotus_sisters_by_mcnum-d7zj8n4.png

Link!

Three days, although yesterday can be excused due to external factors, so two days. I'd like a drawing like this to be done in one, so there's work to do to speed up. Like not having to redraw so many lines.

I need a new idea and Hyrule Warriors is coming up soon, so... yeah, probably won't see another drawing from me this week, unless I get a really fun idea.

Very nice! Looks a little more show-style than some of your other stuff to me, was that intentional?

Wow. But maybe not a bad thing.

The Hub was a money-loser stuck in an endless "we're trying to grow and establish ourselves" phase against bigger players, while it was questionable if cable networks would even matter by the time Hub caught up, and even if it did, Discovery would reap 50% of the rewards for Hasbro's effort.

Hasbro is allowed to continue providing shows from 9am to 3pm? When everybody is at work/school? Terrible time slot. Hasbro should walk away from Discovery.

The Hub motivated Hasbro to build and grow Hasbro Studios, which has done well, even though it was handcuffed to a small, fledgeling network.

The toy-sales advertising boost of having good cartoons allowed Hasbro to pay for The Hub's losses, but if Hasbro can find a new home on a better network, they should see bigger gains across the board with fewer anchors dragging them down.

I'm not familiar enough with the situation to have much of an opinion, but this is all very interesting.

Tenumi

Banned

By all means, I don't think it should negatively effect MLPFIM and the rest of Hasbro Studios' works. Hub Network has definitely been seeing gains, just not enough of them apparently. If Hasbro can find a Network that can increase viewership and treat their shows right, then good for them. If not, they've got the Hub airtimes to back them up.

That's all easier said than done, however...

McNum

Very nice! Looks a little more show-style than some of your other stuff to me, was that intentional?
Kind of. I felt like I had drifted away from the pony style too much and needed to reign it in again. So, I spent some time just drawing pony anatomy sketches based on the show style to recalibrate, so to speak.

I went too fast at first. I need to first learn to do it right, then carve out my own niche. I also need to draw something not in that "standing with one front hoof raised" pose. I'm overusing that thing.

The only Hub shows I have watched are MLP, Littlest Pet Shop, Aquabats Super Show, and Dan Vs. Those last two have already ended, so I really only care about the former two. Hopefully this doesn't hurt those shows too badly.

The fan film Journey of the Spark has ended production. Surprisingly, they actually were able to reach an agreement with Hasbro, but like I suspected from the start, they bit off more than they could chew and did not feel they could finish it. It will continue as audio drama, but that really removes any kind of appeal the project had in the first place. While I didn't like this project from the start, it's a shame to see it end like this. Hopefully they release whatever finished work they have at some point.

It turns out that the reason why Slice of Life hasn't been updating is because, for personal reasons, egophiliac doesn't like working on it anymore. Kind of sad to hear. At least she does still enjoy working on Steamquestria.

Compilation of French season 4 songs from toward the end of the season. I especially liked "A Glass of Water". In "You'll Play Your Part", I liked Twilight's part, but it was weird how the "ahhhhs" appeared in the verse before Celestia speaks, and the part with the other princesses isn't as strong; Celestia in particular doesn't really fit. "Let the Rainbow Remind You" isn't very well done. Otherwise, I liked the songs. This is all as someone who doesn't understand French, though.

Idea Channel briefly revisits its brony discussion, among other previous topics.

PaulloDEC

The fan film Journey of the Spark has ended production. Surprisingly, they actually were able to reach an agreement with Hasbro, but like I suspected from the start, they bit off more than they could chew and did not feel they could finish it. It will continue as audio drama, but that really removes any kind of appeal the project had in the first place. While I didn't like this project from the start, it's a shame to see it end like this. Hopefully they release whatever finished work they have at some point.

It turns out that the reason why Slice of Life hasn't been updating is because, for personal reasons, egophiliac doesn't like working on it anymore. Kind of sad to hear. At least she does still enjoy working on Steamquestria.

Can't say I'm entirely surprised about Journey of the Spark. Always seemed like on of those big, bold fan undertakings that ultimately collapses under its own weight.

Slice of Life on the other hand is a huge bummer. I'd gotten the impression from Ego's posts up until now that it wasn't much fun for her anymore, but I didn't realise it had gotten as bad as this. No comic is worth an artist being miserable though, and we got a ton of great stories out of it at least.

Another new Rainbow Rocks trailer. It starts out the same as the previous one, but it becomes different. It's another trailer that prominently features that one spoiler; a lot of it, in fact.
Sunset can write in a book to have words appear in a random book in Celestia's library? How weird. I really hope they don't use this to retcon something from the series. Also, wow, it looks like Twilight really does appear in a lot of the movie. Including a scene where she talks to Flash, bleh.

EDIT: Brony costume added as Xbox avatar

PaulloDEC

Another new Rainbow Rocks trailer. It starts out the same as the previous one, but it becomes different. It's another trailer that prominently features that one spoiler; a lot of it, in fact.
Sunset can write in a book to have words appear in a random book in Celestia's library? How weird. I really hope they don't use this to retcon something from the series. Also, wow, it looks like Twilight really does appear in a lot of the movie. Including a scene where she talks to Flash, bleh.

As someone who's just started to pick up all the Fringe references in the comics, the
book thing
sticks out as another one that might be a direct reference (even if the comics and the show aren't being written by the same people, I guess!)
In Fringe, characters sometimes communicate between two alternate universes by typing messages on a typewriter which can then be seen being typed on the other side.

$200

Banned

EDIT: Brony costume added as Xbox avatar

Haven't watched the latest trailers but it seems more and more likely that
Sunset is the main character here instead of Twilight
? I think it's great they're willing to change things up a bit.

ULEegzZ.gif

Picture unrelated

akira28

Why does Pinkie Pie have to shake down the dragon? Does he not have the right to privacy, or do Earth Ponies just not have much respect for dragon rights?

dat kiss tho (blushes and grins.)

Haven't watched the latest trailers but it seems more and more likely that
Sunset is the main character here instead of Twilight
? I think it's great they're willing to change things up a bit.

Well,
it seemed like they were going that direction at first, but the new trailers show FAR more of Twilight than I would have expected if they were doing that. Now it looks like they'll be sharing the spotlight. I imagine it will be something like Twilight seemingly saving the day, but then her plan fails until Sunset comes to help

Italian songs from the latter half of season 4. Overall... not very good. Oddly, the best out of the set was "Rappin' History of the Wonderbolts", with "Flim Flam Curative Tonic" and parts of "You'll Play Your Part" being OK. The others were pretty bad. "Let the Rainbow Remind You" surprised me, because Twilight's singer didn't seem that bad in "You'll Play Your Part".

... Yeah, news has been pretty slow. Kind of hard to believe that "Rainbow Rocks" is coming this Saturday; I was really excited about the Magic the Gathering Khans of Tarkir prerelease two days ago, but I have to keep reminding myself that this movie is coming up. Well, I won't actually be watching it until the DVD rip is put online anyway

PaulloDEC

... Yeah, news has been pretty slow. Kind of hard to believe that "Rainbow Rocks" is coming this Saturday; I was really excited about the Magic the Gathering Khans of Tarkir prerelease two days ago, but I have to keep reminding myself that this movie is coming up. Well, I won't actually be watching it until the DVD rip is put online anyway

Wow, I didn't realise it was so close to release. I might give it a rent, as I quite enjoyed the soundtrack.

Top Bottom