• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

PaulloDEC

Tons of stuff, don't even have time to watch them right now.

Season 5 premiere clip

SEASON 6 CONFIRMED in press release, with McCarthy confirming.

And for some reason, three new Rainbow Rocks songs that were apparently cut out.
"Life is a Runway" (Rarity)
"Friendship Through the Ages" (Group)
"My Past is Not Today" (Sunset Shimmer)

I'm avoiding any more S5 clips for a bit, but wow, three fully-animated unreleased songs?! I've only watched "Friendship Through the Ages" so far, but it doesn't look cheap; tons of completely unique sets and brand new outfits for everyone.

Would love to hear the story behind these.

And for some reason, three new Rainbow Rocks songs that were apparently cut out.
"Life is a Runway" (Rarity)
"Friendship Through the Ages" (Group)
"My Past is Not Today" (Sunset Shimmer)

Three cut out songs..

Three cut out songs fully animated...
double-take.gif

Cheerilee

I'm avoiding any more S5 clips for a bit, but wow, three fully-animated unreleased songs?! I've only watched "Friendship Through the Ages" so far, but it doesn't look cheap; tons of completely unique sets and brand new outfits for everyone.

I have no inside info, but I would organize the shorts something like this.

- DJ Pon3 song
- Rarity song

- Two Jem-inspired songs
- Two "Sunset 2.0" songs

- Four "instrument" shorts

Most, if not all of these videos were made before EG2, while the studio was trying to figure out what EG2 was.

They obviously liked the Jem-inspired ones, so they worked that style into the opening song of the movie.

They liked DJ Pon3's song, so they made it canon (even though it's technically inaccurate) and worked her into the background of the movie.

Rarity's song was probably cut because it doesn't give equal time to the other cast members (unless the others have cut songs), and because of excessive fanservice (Derpy, Lyra, and Bonbon). Whoever made this one probably pushed for the Lyra/Bonbon piano scene, since they were cut here. Also note, DJ Pon3's song probably counts as fanservice too. Of course, EG1 was practically wall-to-wall fanservice.

Sunset 2.0 (I like her new jacket, BTW) was probably cut when they decided to make her redemption a theme in the movie, and not just a song or two.

The instrument shorts were made later than the rest, as a more-direct leadup to what they now knew they were making. I wouldn't be surprised if Rarity's song inspired this group of shorts (they didn't have the time/money to make 4-6 character songs, so they made 4 quick shorts instead).

"Life is a Runway" - Didn't like this, and Rarity's dresses were actually rather bad looking.
"Friendship Through the Ages" - Liked the beginning (which was oddly shippy), but it felt like one of those songs that keeps on building up without a real climax.
"My Past is Not Today" - When the music started, I was thinking, "Oh, this is going to be good," ... but then the singing started and the song turned out to be quite mediocre.

Overall, I wouldn't say any of the songs are all that good, and really, only the second goes above mediocre in my mind.

EDIT: ^ Never would have thought of that. It makes sense.

Going to another topic, spoiler policy for the new OT. The one in the season 4 OT was this:
This thread is for discussion of new episodes, news, speculation, and other talk relating to season 3. Episode synopsis and official previews will not need to be discussed in spoilers. Episodes have occasionally leaked on iTunes, and discussion of such should be put behind spoiler bars until the episode airs (and preferably not discussed at all).

I'm thinking that the following should be added:
* Discussion of episode clips (as opposed to commercials) should be behind spoiler bars. Let us not forget how a few season 4 preview clips were from late in the episodes, including a "Simple Ways" preview straight up showing the climax of the episode. Many people, like myself, already avoid watching these clips for this reason, so discussion of them should be behind spoiler bars.
* Discussion of an episode's while it's airing and for a few hours after should be behind spoiler bars--enough of a buffer that someone unthinkingly checking his or her updated subscriptions would get the hint and not get spoiled. I would think going "OH SHIT O_O" and such would be fine, but saying "I didn't expect for Twilight to be dragged into hell at the end of the first part" should be behind spoiler bars. I believe the actual general rule is to wait a full day, so this is actually more lenient.
* If an episode is leaked or aired early, discussion of it should be behind spoiler bars until a few hours after it normally airs, and you should state that you are discussing that episode early instead of just having a blacked out post. As in:
(S2 finale leak)
The changelings are neat!
Not:
Twilight became a princess! WHAT
This particularly applies to the BABSCon airing of the season 5 premiere. It starts at the same time as the TV airing, but it will be without commercials, so it will end before the TV airing. If you post from BABSCon about the ending before it finishes on TV, write something like this:
Just finished the episode at BABSCon!
Twilight dies lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
* Discussion of episode clips (as opposed to commercials) should be behind spoiler bars. Let us not forget how a few season 4 preview clips were from late in the episodes, including a "Simple Ways" preview straight up showing the climax of the episode. Many people, like myself, already avoid watching these clips for this reason, so discussion of them should be behind spoiler bars.

* Discussion of an episode's while it's airing and for a few hours after should be behind spoiler bars--enough of a buffer that someone unthinkingly checking his or her updated subscriptions would get the hint and not get spoiled. I would think going "OH SHIT O_O" and such would be fine, but saying "I didn't expect for Twilight to be dragged into hell at the end of the first part" should be behind spoiler bars. I believe the actual general rule is to wait a full day, so this is actually more lenient.

While I think previews should be allowed to be openly discussed, I can deal with throwing that behind spoiler bars. However, I would like episode names and synopsis to remain open for discussion without black bars. Theories and such. (barring things like a two-parter where the synopsis for part 2 clearly gives away how part 1 concludes)

That second one I am very much opposed to. When an episode airs, you should be able to talk about it. I don't follow many TV threads, but I know some of the big ones like Game of Thrones and Doctor Who allow talk while an episode airs. In particular with Doctor Who, you were allowed to discuss it during the UK broadcast, which was several hours before the US broadcast. It's up to people who watch it later not to visit the thread until they see it, and even with the majority of GAF being in the US, people learn fast not to visit that Doctor Who thread when it airs. Just make it clear in the OP what time the show airs. We also have this community thread for general discussion, so it's not like people don't' have a place to discuss general ponies. It's their job to stay out of the thread while an episode airs.

PaulloDEC

I think I'd agree with the Doc on this one.

Synopsis and titles = Open
Previews/Clips/Trailers = Spoilered until the corresponding episode(s) air
Live episode discussion = Open

Given that we'll have two threads running (Season and Community), it makes sense for one to be more encouraging of easy discussion.

While the Season thread is like that, what will the rules be with this community thread?

I'm more strict and broad about spoilers than most people so I'd like a total blackout on anything not aired, including anything related to it (commercials/previews/titles/synopsis/etc) until a certain time period. A day after (day of is for the Season OT thread), 4 days after, a week after?

I would say a day after (or two days for the full weekend) would be reasonable. By then, fan work would be created and people would want to post it here by that time, while still giving people a weekend to watch the episode first.

Just read FIENDship is Magic #1 - Sombra, and it was really good. It was a pretty standard story of
the villain trying to live life happily but having a dark destiny that he can't escape from and eventually accepts
, but sad ponies makes it sad. At the start, I was going to cry foul on Sombra being portrayed as developmentally behind the others when he turns into the least sapient of pony-like villains, and then on Hope being a manic pixie dream girl, but I felt both were handled well enough. One moment that did take me out of the story was an Attack on Titan poster right at an important plot development, though, and Twilight's and Cadance's dialogue at the start was oddly stilted. I'm a bit disappointed that the show will never follow up on this--with
shadow ponies still under the Crystal Empire, Princess Amore shattered into crystals but potentially able to come back to life if her shards are reunited, and it being unknown what happened to Hope
--but perhaps the comics will.

While the Season thread is like that, what will the rules be with this community thread?

I'm more strict and broad about spoilers than most people so I'd like a total blackout on anything not aired, including anything related to it (commercials/previews/titles/synopsis/etc) until a certain time period. A day after (day of is for the Season OT thread), 4 days after, a week after?

I would say a day after (or two days for the full weekend) would be reasonable. By then, fan work would be created and people would want to post it here by that time, while still giving people a weekend to watch the episode first.

The community thread usually goes dead during the actual season, as I recall, but I see no harm in establishing ground rules.
* Once the season starts, no details about upcoming episodes are to be posted in the community thread.
* Details about an episode and related fanworks are not to be posted until at least a day after the episode aired.
* Discussion of media unrelated to season 5, such as Equestria Girls videos and comics, are preferred in the community thread, but there is no harm in talking about it in the OT.

brian577

Banned
The community thread usually goes dead during the actual season, as I recall, but I see no harm in establishing ground rules.
* Once the season starts, no details about upcoming episodes are to be posted in the community thread.
* Details about an episode and related fanworks are not to be posted until at least a day after the episode aired.

What? That's ridiculous. Previous years were simple.

Use spoiler tags until the episode airs. That's it.

And the OT thread was a free for all on spoilers unless the episode was leaked early, in which case spoilers tags were used.

This seems needlessly complicated.

Oh, that's a Discovery Family prank? I didn't bother to watch it because I thought it was a fan video. I'll check it out when I'm not at work.

What? That's ridiculous. Previous years were simple.

Use spoiler tags until the episode airs. That's it.

And the OT thread was a free for all on spoilers unless the episode was leaked early, in which case spoilers tags were used.

This seems needlessly complicated.

The rules I posted are for the Community thread, which won't see much activity while season 5 is airing anyway. Under what circumstances would you want to post in the Community thread about an episode less than a day after it aired but not in the OT?

As for the OT spoiler rules, I decided to change them to this:
* If an episode is leaked or aired early, discussion of it should be behind spoiler bars until after it normally airs, and you should state that you are discussing that episode early instead of just having a blacked out post. As in:
(S2 finale leak)
The changelings are neat!
Not:
Twilight became a princess! WHAT
This particularly applies to the BABSCon airing of the season 5 premiere. It starts at the same time as the TV airing, but it will be without commercials, so it will end before the TV airing. If you post from BABSCon about the ending before it finishes on TV, write something like this:
Just finished the episode at BABSCon!
Twilight dies lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sombra issue has me hopeful for the remaining stories. It was quite a bit darker than I thought they would be allowed to get away with.

It occurs to me that a follow up to this Sombra comic actually would make for a very good subject for the wide-release film. It's a shame that the movie is already in the process of being written, meaning there's little chance of this being the subject.

Cheerilee

"Life is a Runway" - Didn't like this, and Rarity's dresses were actually rather bad looking.
I just noticed...

ZP74Eyj.jpg

TxgMQbF.jpg

Rarity's dress from "Life is a Runway" became her stage outfit for Rainbow Rocks. Everyone else picked up on her mismatched stockings to pull the group together.

PaulloDEC

It occurs to me that a follow up to this Sombra comic actually would make for a very good subject for the wide-release film. It's a shame that the movie is already in the process of being written, meaning there's little chance of this being the subject.

That could be pretty cool, but it's probably better that they go with a brand new villain for their first film (assuming that's what they're doing!). It'd be neat to see Sombra return in a sequel, should that ever happen.

I just noticed...

ZP74Eyj.jpg

TxgMQbF.jpg

Rarity's dress from "Life is a Runway" became her stage outfit for Rainbow Rocks. Everyone else picked up on her mismatched stockings to pull the group together.

Ha, good spot! I'm sure Rarity would be mortified that someone noticed.

And while we're on the topic of pretty dresses and whatnot, who had the best new look?

I'm leaning towards Twilight or Pinkie, but I also dig Sunset's new getup.

Cheerilee

And while we're on the topic of pretty dresses and whatnot, who had the best new look?

I'm leaning towards Twilight or Pinkie, but I also dig Sunset's new getup.

Rainbow has done the "rock" look better. Frequently. 2/5

Fluttershy is boring, but I guess she's supposed to be. The braids in her hair are the best part of her outfit. 3/5

Rarity is ridiculously over-the-top in a way that only Rarity can get away with. 4/5

Twilight's outfit looks like a lot of effort, and could be the best, but it loses points for not being very "Twilight". 4/5

Applejack looks generic, moreso than Rainbow. 1.5/5

Pinkie's outfit looks fun and it fits her, she gets extra points for going all-out with the 80's shades and Gummy, and her shoes might be the best I've seen in Equestria Girls. 4.5/5, and I feel like I'm probably scoring it too low.

For Sunset, you need to watch her solo video to appreciate how nice her new dress is, and the way she covers up her feminine side with leather completely fits the character. The new boots are a clear improvement over her previous boots, and now they match her new jacket, which is a bit better than her previous jacket. It's a subtle change in her look, but it's all good. 4.5/5, and probably the win, IMO.

The outfits are representative of the age of music they're playing. Sunset Shimmer is the only one with a 'new look' as she has the same outfit in both videos, and doesn't change at all for the different musical periods for Friendship Through the Ages.

anyhoot,
God Tier - Pinkie (if not taking seriously, so over the top it's the best)
Good Tier - FS, AJ, SS (Can/are looks they can carry for anything)
OK Tier - Rarity and Pinkie (Looks good on her, but can't see it outside this song)
Nope Tier - RD, TS (Don't like it and it wouldn't work outside this song [note I'm bias against RD's look])

PaulloDEC

More like disturbing. Ignoring the fact that a former Hasbro exec is now writing episodes, the guy has zero experience.

I dunno, the guy seems to both know and care about the IP, which is something I put a lot of stock in personally. Moving from a managerial position to something more creative strikes me as a move motivated more by passion than, y'know, career advancement.

I don't have a problem with them giving him a shot. Worst case scenario we're only down a single episode.

Sounds like Meghan didn't write the season opener.

+1 interest in premier!

https://twitter.com/KeatingRogers/status/583322384129613826

Oh, interesting! Does that make this the first premiere not written by the showrunner?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I dunno, the guy seems to both know and care about the IP, which is something I put a lot of stock in personally. Moving from a managerial position to something more creative strikes me as a move motivated more by passion than, y'know, career advancement.

I don't have a problem with them giving him a shot. Worst case scenario we're only down a single episode.

I agree. The guy seems to care about the show, beyond just selling toys. You have to start somewhere, so I'm all for giving him a shot.

Oh, interesting! Does that make this the first premiere not written by the showrunner?

Larson wrote "Return of Harmony", though comments from Faust about the creation of Discord indicate she had a decent hand in it.

PaulloDEC

Larson wrote "Return of Harmony", though comments from Faust about the creation of Discord indicate she had a decent hand in it.

Ah, of course. I knew that Discord was one of the last stories that Lauren had a big hand in developing, but I forgot that Larson actually wrote the episodes.

Anyway, AKR having a hand in anything is always good news as far as I'm concerned. I trust her as much as I trust any writer on the show.

Cheerilee

I agree. The guy seems to care about the show, beyond just selling toys. You have to start somewhere, so I'm all for giving him a shot.

He mentioned in an interview that when most toy companies try and start a studio, they promote their toy executives into TV executives, and end up with bad TV executives. When Hasbro started Hasbro Studios, they hired actual TV executives (Mike Vogel came from Sony Pictures). Once they had a team of good TV executives, they taught them how the toy business works, which is invaluable because toys pay the bills and doing the toys right is important, and most TV executives are usually clueless about toys. But he was first-and-foremost a TV executive.

Apparently he worked closely with the writers, including corporate script approval, so he probably knows how scripts work. And even though he was "the enemy", the writers apparently all like him, so that's a good sign.

If he turns out to be a good writer, and a good executive, and he knows toys, and he loves the IP, he's really going to be a huge asset, no matter what he's doing.

Speaking of Discord, do you think they might have a Discord side story about his redemption or at least an episode about it? I'm sure not everyone forgave him so quickly, then again cartoons and stuff.

Cheerilee

Random observation: Sunset starts the video off by watching the sunset (get it?), then makes her way toward the center of the roof while singing, and looks up at the looming clock tower. Then she sings "my past is not today" for the first time as she watches the clock tick past midnight, with a visual effect coming from the clock, as if the clock were triggering a magic spell. She's literally beginning a new day. Also, the clock goes off at the exact center of the song (I had to check). Then she sings a bit more, and runs towards the opposite side of the roof from where she started, to meet the sunrise like a phoenix (as she said she was going to do, repeatedly in the refrain).

Which is to say, I appreciate that this video works.

Also, thinking in the context of how this video was made before EG2, when Sunset Shimmer was just an empty husk of a defeated villain, it's really quite great.

PaulloDEC

Random observation: Sunset starts the video off by watching the sunset (get it?), then makes her way toward the center of the roof while singing, and looks up at the looming clock tower. Then she sings "my past is not today" for the first time as she watches the clock tick past midnight, with a visual effect coming from the clock, as if the clock were triggering a magic spell. She's literally beginning a new day. Also, the clock goes off at the exact center of the song (I had to check). Then she sings a bit more, and runs towards the opposite side of the roof from where she started, to meet the sunrise like a phoenix (as she said she was going to do, repeatedly in the refrain).

Which is to say, I appreciate that this video works.

Also, thinking in the context of how this video was made before EG2, when Sunset Shimmer was just an empty husk of a defeated villain, it's really quite great.

That's pretty cool, and it just goes to show that the people scripting/storyboarding/directing this stuff give a crap about character. It's really nice that even the little bonus pieces of content are thought-through and have something of their own to say.

Final version of the OT OP, pending responses. Spoilers still spoiled out for now. Putting up the OT in about five hours.

Source: teammagix

The long national nightmare finally comes to an end! After literally nearly a year, season 5 has arrived!

This season is a particularly special one, as we're coming up on the 100th episode! And not just that! With this season, Friendship is Magic will become Hasbro's longest running TV series, beating the original Transformers' 98 episodes.

And it doesn't end there! Season 6 has already been confirmed, and in 2017, we're getting a wide release theatrical film! And with multiple ongoing comics and tie-in books to boot, it's a good time to be a pony fan... besides the long gaps between seasons, that is.

PREVIOUSLY ON MY LITTLE PONY
622807__safe_twilight+sparkle_animated_screencap_princess+twilight_hub+logo_hubble_hub_spoiler-colon-s04e26_twilight%27s+kingdom.gif

TO ELABORATE
After our heroes were forced to give up the Elements of Harmony to save the Tree of Harmony in the season 4 premiere, a mysterious locked chest sprouted from the Tree. Through their daily lives, the girls found themselves each having to demonstrate their respective Element of Harmony in circumstances where it would have been easier to go against them. These acts inspired others, who then gave them parting gifts--gifts that turned out to be the keys to the chest, and a new Tree of Harmony grew from the chest when it was opened. This became Twilight Sparkle's new castle (after the villain Tirek destroyed her old home) (buy our toys), and Twilight realized that her purpose as a princess is to spread the magic of friendship with the help of her friends and the mysterious powers of the castle.

Video recap
Series song medley

With a base of operations and a new purpose, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie truly are
SUPERFRIENDS

AND NOW
One day, our heroes activate a magical map in the new castle, and marked on it is an unusual town. There, they find that everyone has the exact same cutie mark: an equal sign. While they all seem perfectly content, the girls can't shake the feeling that there is something sinister going on.

Will they be able to stand up to the forces of Cutie Marxism?
Will the inevitable power up to resolve the premiere problem look as bad as it does in the toys?
Will the Cutie Mark Crusaders still fail to get their cutie marks when the marketing gimmick of the season is called Cutie Mark Magic?

Rules.png

This thread is for the discussion of season 5 episodes, along with news and speculation.
* Episode titles and official synopses can be freely discussed, along with things tweeted by show crew and such.
* Discussion of preview clips taken straight from episodes (as opposed to commercials) should be behind spoiler bars, since they have previously shown scenes from late in the episode.
* If an episode is leaked or made available early (some episodes have been put on iTunes early), discussion of it should be behind spoiler bars until after it normally airs, and you should state that you are discussing that episode early instead of just having a blacked out post. This particularly applies to the BABSCon airing of the season 5 premiere. It starts at the same time as the TV airing, but has no commercials, so it will end before the TV airing.

For general fandom discussion, you can go to the community thread. This thread is also the location for discussions of the official comics and Equestria Girls, but there is no foul in discussing those in this thread. Please try to avoid talking about season 5 episodes in the community thread until about a day after it airs, so it can act as a spoiler-free zone during the season.

CharacterGuide.png

"MANE" SIX
IAiuZnW.png
sylEQQW.png
sEpCJlX.png
36NORGz.png
ujumvgN.png
vhXpyXa.png

Princess Twilight Sparkle
Voiced by Tara Strong, singing voice by Rebecca Shoichet
Twilight Sparkle was a gifted unicorn who caught the attention of Princess Celestia, thus becoming her personal student. Twilight constantly works to improve herself through study and being a better friend, but she can be patronizing at times and has a maddening fear of disappointing others. Over time, her magic developed such that she turned into an alicorn--a form that represents all three major pony types--and became a princess, graduating from Celestia's tutelage. Now acting as the Princess of Friendship, she works with her friends to spread its magic across the land.

Applejack
Voiced by Ashleigh Ball
Applejack is the strong, hard-working, and straight-forward earth pony who runs Sweet Apple Acres orchard, and she values her family above almost everything. She can be very stubborn and competitive, clashing with Rarity and Rainbow Dash in particular, but she is well known for her reliability--when Twilight is feeling doubts, Applejack is often the one who steps up to lead the others.

Rainbow Dash
Voiced by Ashleigh Ball (yes, same as above)
Rainbow Dash is a high-flying daredevil and one of the fastest pegasi around. She often acts and speaks before she thinks and hates to be inactive when she's not sleeping, creating friction with Twilight and Applejack in particular, and making her close friendship with Fluttershy all the more surprising. Initially treating everyone in the same brash and careless manner, over time, her leadership skills have developed and she has learned when to be gentle and supporting.

Rarity
Voiced by Tabitha St. Germain, singing voice by Kazumi Evans
Rarity at first appears to be the image of a fashion-obsessed popular girl, but she is in fact a relentlessly creative designer and a savvy businessmare, who never wears anything she didn't make herself. She runs a boutique that has managed to achieve attention all across Equestria, and has made dresses for more than one princess. Though she is fussy and always tries to look beautiful, she is generous to a fault, and she can be surprisingly effective in a brawl.

Fluttershy
Voiced by Andrea Libman
In direct contrast to Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy would love nothing more than to stay on the ground and avoid attention. She has a Disney Princess-like affinity with forest creatures, but she is shy around other ponies, as her name implies, though she has been learning to open up more. She is caring and motherly, sometimes to the point of coddling, but when she finds her courage, she can be surprisingly intimidating. She also wrestles bears.

Pinkie Pie
Voiced by Andrea Libman (really, same as Fluttershy), singing voice by Shannon Chan-Kent
Even though she grew up on a dour rock farm with a largely gray family, Pinkie Pie is the brightest and craziest of them all. Able to squash and stretch and seemingly bend reality at will, she baffles the rational Twilight and often startles or annoys the others. Regardless, they would never want to see her go, as she can always bring a smile to everyone's faces, a skill that she carries great pride in. Oh, and she can somewhat see the future.

SIDE CHARACTERS
IZnQBWm.png
u7mIo2F.png

Spike
Voiced by Cathy Weseluck
Spike is a dragon hatched by Twilight in her youth, and has since acted as her assistant. He takes his role very seriously, though he can be lazy and sarcastic when off duty. He often worries about his worth and his nature as a dragon, but Twilight assures him that he's nothing less than family. Spike is in love with Rarity, and Rarity likes him too--though as a friend, to his disappointment.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders (Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo)
Voiced by Claire Corlett, Michelle Creber, and Madeline Peters
The Cutie Mark Crusaders are a group of three young fillies out to find who they are destined to be, thus earning cutie marks on their flanks. They are very eager and try everything they can, not noticing the skills that everyone else knows they are good at. Apple Bloom is Applejack's younger sister, Sweetie Belle is Rarity's younger sister, and Scootaloo... apparently isn't related to anyone, but she is Rainbow Dash's number one fan.

DEITIES
AuIi0q2.png
4p76C0x.png
w1xjSuT.png

Princess Celestia
Voiced by Nicole Oliver
As an alicorn with power over the sun, Princess Celestia has ruled all of Equestria benevolently for over one thousand years. Thanks to the efforts of Twilight and her friends, she now rules side by side with her sister, Princess Luna. Despite her great power, Celestia takes care not to interfere too much, wishing for her subjects to all develop their full potential.

Princess Luna
Voiced by Tabitha St. Germain, singing voice by Kazumi Evans
As an alicorn with power over the moon, Princess Luna at first ruled the night alongside her sister, Princess Celestia, who ruled the day. Overcome by jealousy, Luna turned into Nightmare Moon, forcing Celestia to banish her to the moon for one thousand years. Luna was since purified of her corruption, and they now rule side by side again. Still, Luna is deeply regretful and is currently making up for her actions by guarding the dreams of her subjects from nightmares.

Discord
Voiced by John de Lancie
Formerly a malicious god of chaos, Discord is now merely a god of chaos. In short, he's a slightly nicer version of Q from Star Trek, with Twilight as his Picard. Despite the danger, Celestia had Fluttershy try to befriend him. The Fluttermoe seemed to work, but the villain Tirek convinced Discord that friendship was just another restraint and offered true freedom. Discord took this offer, but came to realize that his supposed freedom wasn't worth losing true friendship, and it looks like his shift to the side of heroes will be permanent now.

EpisodeGuide.png

Opening
In my heart, this is the opening
New episodes air at 11 AM ET on Saturdays, and are usually put up on iTunes the next day. Seasons 1-4 can be found on iTunes and US Netflix. Episode descriptions are taken from Zap2It and press releases.

Episodes 1-2: Cutie Markless - April 4
In the Season 5 premiere of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the Mane 6: Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity and Applejack meet Starlight Glimmer when they are summoned to solve a friendship problem only to find a utopian village in which everyone has given up their Cutie Marks. At first look, the ponies in this village appear happy, but it soon becomes clear that Starlight Glimmer has a vastly different and rather sinister view on friendship and the individual talents that make Equestria's ponies so special.

Episode 3: Castle Sweet Castle - April 11
The ponies try to make Princess Twilight's castle feel more like home after finding out she's been avoiding it.

Episode 4: Bloom and Gloom - April 18
Apple Bloom has high anxiety over getting her Cutie Mark and it begins to turn her life into a nightmare.

Episode 5: Tanks for the Memories - April 25
When Rainbow Dash realizes Tank must hibernate for winter, she decides the best solution is to keep winter from coming.

Episode 6: Appleoosa’s Most Wanted - May 2
Infamous outlaw Troubleshoes Clyde returns to terrorize the Appleoosa rodeo and the Cutie Mark Crusaders set out to bring him to justice and finally get their cutie marks.

zknlsla.png

There is more to Friendship is Magic than just the show.

In the field of animation, there are the Equestria Girls movies and online shorts, which involve an alternate dimension where all of the ponies are humans attending high school--literally a high school AU fanfic world. Since these humans have the same skin tone as the pony fur colors, this world is referred to by fans as Dougworld. Similar to Friendship is Magic itself, this is handled much better than one would expect, though fans are still divided. I myself find the movies OK but dislike some prominent aspects, while some others actually are actually looking forward to the next movie more than season 5. The first film is generally considered OK, while the second film, Rainbow Rocks, is considered to be legitimately great by many. The third film, Friendship Games, will be released this Fall, meaning that we'll probably get previews and tie-in shorts during the airing of season 5.

There are a ton of official tie-in comics from IDW, with two ongoing series, a completed miniseries, three specials, and an ongoing miniseries. The main comic series, Friendship is Magic, started at the same time as season 3 with the return of Queen Chrysalis of the Changelings and has been chugging along since. This series is made up of 2 and 4-part stories, with some one-shots mixed in. Some stories are much weaker than others, but it's generally worth checking out. It starts out with unicorn Twilight, but switches to alicorn Twiight in issue 13 to no fanfare.

Soon after the main series started, a 10-issue miniseries focused on individual characters called the Micro Series started, and is now collected in two volumes labeled Pony Tales. While the first two issues, about Twilight and Rainbow Dash, have bad art and bad dialogue respectively, the third issue about Rarity is a must read, and the others aren't bad either.

After the start of season 4, we got another ongoing series, Friends Forever, this time focusing on the interactions between two or more characters, often focusing on completely unexpected but fitting groups, in one-shot stories--though sometimes the writers forget that the characters should be interacting. The first issue is very bad, but it gets much better after that.

There are three special comics, which can be found under Friendship is Magic. The 2013 Annual Special is a prequel to Equestria Girls. The part most worth checking out is the section on Sunset Shimmer, which is shown in almost its entirety by preview pages anyway. The 2014 Annual Special takes place in the world of Power Ponies, as seen in the season 4 episode of the same name, and is a lot of fun. The 2014 Holiday Special is an Equestria Girls story that takes place after Rainbow Rocks, and is generally considered not worth checking out.

Releasing every Wednesday of April, there is an ongoing miniseries called FIENDship is Magic, focusing on five of the major villains. The first one, about King Sombra, has already been released and is very good--good enough to make we want to actually see more of Sombra. Next will be Tirek, the Sirens from Rainbow Rocks, Nightmare Moon, and finally Queen Chrysalis.

Also worth checking out are the chapter books by G.M. Berrow, who is incidentally writing an episode this season, and The Journal of the Two Sisters by Amy Keating Rogers, a defictionalized version of the journal found in the season 4 episode "Castle-Mania", which also includes the Friendship Journal entries of season 4 (plus one extra).

Links.png

The Season 1 Thread
The Season 2 Thread
The Season 3 Thread
The Season 4 Thread

The Community Thread
The Movie Announcement Topic

Fan community links
Equestria Daily - The most active fan blog dedicated to MLP:FiM. It can be a bit hasty in posting rumors, but they are the best place to find news and fanworks at the same time. Like any big blog, avoid the comments.
Derpibooru - The biggest collection of MLP:FiM related images online. They block NSFW images, but sometimes things slip through, so it is unlinked. Avoid the comments.
The Round Stable - The best dedicated forum for MLP:FiM discussion, founded by those who left Something Awful when MLP discussion became a bannable offense there. There is a main page, but it's basically dead now. It also runs Bronibooru, a site similar to Derpibooru, but dedicated to only uploading family-friendly images.
MLP:FiM Wikia - The better source for pure information on the show and its characters.

thanks.png

Thanks to Dr. Forrester for letting me steal from his previous OT and for providing some new assets!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Too late to change, but I still think we don't really need the giant character's list anymore. Maybe a single entry more briefly outlining the entire cast with 1 cast photo. Still, it's looking good!

Also, I am of course biased, but no need to insert your personal thoughts down there on the Round Stable link.

And I still don't think Synopsis should be behind spoiler bars, but if that's what the group wants...

Too late to change, but I still think we don't really need the giant character's list anymore. Maybe a single entry more briefly outlining the entire cast with 1 cast photo. Still, it's looking good!

Also, I am of course biased, but no need to insert your personal thoughts down there on the Round Stable link.

And I still don't think Synopsis should be behind spoiler bars, but if that's what the group wants...

The synopses are just behind spoiler bars for this thread. In the OT, they won't be. I removed the comment on the Round Stable.

I suppose it could work to have a single group shot of the Main Six and remove their pictures, along with Spike's and the CMC. Does anyone have any good ones?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The synopses are just behind spoiler bars for this thread. In the OT, they won't be. I removed the comment on the Round Stable.

I suppose it could work to have a single group shot of the Main Six and remove their pictures, along with Spike's and the CMC. Does anyone have any good ones?

HAHA, I didn't even think about it with those spoiler bars. My mistake.

As for a photo, Screengrab the photo from the end of the S4 opening? And you already took the time to write all that up, so maybe for S6. It just seems a little too bloated. Maybe some others can chime in with their thoughts.

HAHA, I didn't even think about it with those spoiler bars. My mistake.

As for a photo, Screengrab the photo from the end of the S4 opening? And you already took the time to write all that up, so maybe for S6. It just seems a little too bloated. Maybe some others can chime in with their thoughts.

On second thought, I'm not feeling the idea of a group photo. In any case, I was already feeling that the OP was getting bloated, so I trimmed down the character entries. The old versions are still on the previous page in any case.

EDIT: Decided to group character pictures together to see how that looked.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
On second thought, I'm not feeling the idea of a group photo. In any case, I was already feeling that the OP was getting bloated, so I trimmed down the character entries. The old versions are still on the previous page in any case.

EDIT: Decided to group character pictures together to see how that looked.

I like those smaller group pictures a lot more. Maybe toss ones in for the two Princesses and Discord since they're smaller?

I like those smaller group pictures a lot more. Maybe toss ones in for the two Princesses and Discord since they're smaller?

That would require making a Discord picture, and I'm not too interested in editing an image for him. Besides, I like the "no picture until you do something" gag.

Also, if no one objects, I'm using the title My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 5 |OT| Challenge of the Superfriends. Last chance to stop me!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That would require making a Discord picture, and I'm not too interested in editing an image for him. Besides, I like the "no picture until you do something" gag.

Also, if no one objects, I'm using the title My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 5 |OT| Challenge of the Superfriends. Last chance to stop me!

Made some pictures for you from vectors (all from DA who give permission to use them for non-commercial purposes.) Resized them to fit with the CMC and Spike ones.

ic9WXxL.png

4p76C0x.png

w1xjSuT.png

Only on the Discovery Family site. I'll change it if we get more info, or there's a different title on the episode itself.

Also, this is a nice video recap of season 4. I think I'll put it in the OT OP.

EDIT: Grumble, fine, I guess I don't have an excuse. I thought it was a nice gag. Er, I mean, thank you!
If you please, I could also use a banner for "Other Media"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sized up the Celestia one a bit. She's so light that at that size it makes her look a little invisible.

AuIi0q2.png

Edit and here's another banner for you. Went with Cadance's cutie mark, unless you want someone elses.

zknlsla.png

Jawmuncher

Glad to see the movie is still on track. I've been out of the loop for so long. But I recently finished up season 4 and watched Equestria Rocks. Still loved the show. The comics I might have to give up on though, they have passed very far from where I was at. Not even the Humble Bundle saved me from that.

PaulloDEC

Glad to see the movie is still on track. I've been out of the loop for so long. But I recently finished up season 4 and watched Equestria Rocks. Still loved the show. The comics I might have to give up on though, they have passed very far from where I was at. Not even the Humble Bundle saved me from that.

Glad you're still enjoying the show!

As for the comics, if you're ever looking for select recommendations there's plenty of people here who'd be happy to offer some suggestions. Hell, a lot of people would say you're better off not buying every single issue anyway.

Top Bottom