• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

Chariot

There were some minor hostilities in the Steven Universe OT where adults who like a cartoon show were celebrating that their fanbase is so much better than the other adult fanbase of a cartoon show. But amirox kicked it out of the park, straight up insulting people in multiple ranty posts. It doesn't help that a mod that frequents the thread previously endorsed such behaviour by leaving a degrading comment himself. And well, I would report any of this to the mods, if I didn't know about the anti-brony bias of them.

Cheerilee

Hmmm... I was just thinking of getting into Steven Universe. As in, maybe getting started on it this weekend. Participating in the |OT| might feel weird.

But amirox kicked it out of the park, straight up insulting people in multiple ranty posts.

That's not kicking it out of the park. IIRC, Amir0x got banned in this thread once for badgering a depressed and suicidal person into admitting that they were an inferior class of human being to him.

tomtom94

Hmmm... I was just thinking of getting into Steven Universe. As in, maybe getting started on it this weekend. Participating in the |OT| might feel weird.

I mean, first priority is to (see if you) enjoy the show. Don't ever let a fanbase taint your view of a show, they exist because of the show, not the other way around.

Fan-groups are meant to be about mutual enjoyment, anyway.

I took an avatar of THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE, hope that's alright.

PaulloDEC

That's not kicking it out of the park. IIRC, Amir0x got banned in this thread once for badgering a depressed and suicidal person into admitting that they were an inferior class of human being to him.

In addition to everything Tomtom said, the hostility was primarily from one individual (no prizes for guessing), so I wouldn't be too worried. Steven Universe is an amazing show, and the OT would be better off for having you.

Regarding that last bit, yikes. I don't remember that, must've been before my time.

I took an avatar of THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE, hope that's alright.

Nobody here would ever stand in the way of such a GREAT AND POWERFUL AVATAR.

I don't remember that at all. By "this thread" do you mean "this one thread" (as in not the Community threads), or were the posts maybe deleted?

Just ignore the fandom. They seem petrified of being lumped in with bronies and do their best to shit on other fandoms because of it, but the show is quite good.

Cheerilee

I don't remember that at all. By "this thread" do you mean "this one thread" (as in not the Community threads), or were the posts maybe deleted?

I might be mistaken as to the thread. I thought it was the Community thread, but thinking about it, it would more likely have been one of the monthly hate threads.

It was right after Amir0x got demodded. Someone had one of those "I'm contemplating suicide" threads (met with successful "call the hotline" posts), and a day or two later Amir0x was directly badgering that person about liking ponies and got banned for it.

Basic lessons being "Oh, just ignore Amir0x. He's got issues with ponies and this probably isn't even the worst thing he's said about them" and "The mods are giving the hate some leeway (and EviLore's technically giving us some leeway), but rules still apply and even a biased mod will probably step in if things get crazy."

Just ignore the fandom. They seem petrified of being lumped in with bronies and do their best to shit on other fandoms because of it, but the show is quite good.
Yeah, I'm always show first, fandom second. I enjoy plenty of stuff that I don't talk to GAF about.

And half of the posts I saw in my quick look at the Steven Universe |OT| were cool about not excluding (and I recognized a few familiar posters), but the other half might feel a little weird. Like it might be weird agreeing or disagreeing with Amir0x while my Rainbow Dash avatar is triggering him. Maybe not bad. Maybe not good. Just weird.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Amir0x's stunted social behaviour has always been a unique joy to observe, you shouldn't take it personally because at this point I'm fairly sure there's a legitimate problem there.

aS3eerw.jpg

HUELEN10

Giddy up motherfuckers! It's that time again, time for THE electronic sporting event of the year!
UGBxBRb.png

wgnFlLO.jpg

It's /mlp/'s time to shine. that's right, the WINNER OF THE 2013 SPRING BABBY CUP BY FOUR GOALS is about to kick off the summer sun celebration, as part of Group B, against the fitness team, the alternative hentai team, and of course, the yuri team!
fqAe8zO.jpg

So, for those not in the know, the 4chan Cup is a live, streamed sporting event in which the teams are made of the infamous imageboard's boards, all running on Pro Evolution Soccer! The cup is solely managed by the 4chan Cup Committee (4CCC), and that includes qualifiers and Babby Cups as well.
e5ZerJw.png

The /mlp/ showcase video does a good job showing you what this is all about! Schedule goes as follows, and is also in the video with links on how to watch LIVE!

/mlp/ vs /fit/: July 31st 18:30 UTC

/u/ vs /mlp/: August 2nd 18:00 UTC

/mlp/ vs /d/: August 8th 18:00 UTC

YqC00xk.png

Now, some of you may be wondering that one question, WHY? Well, why not? It's fun to see an organized, non-real league sporting event, running on PES no less! For those shaking their head at the mention of 4chan, I think it's important to remember 2 things. First, more than a few on GAF like some of the imageboard's other projects, /v/gas and Katawa Shoujo; 4chan doesn't mean instantly shit. Secondly, know you're roots. A lot of people, people in this very community thread even, say "the fandom", well, it started with /co/ on 10/10/10, I know I was there, and the ride has yet to end! It all started there, the Madmax drawings, the Faust posts, everything started there! Besides, at least 2 very special people know what's up!
x1TNMju.jpg

IRWXAGr.jpg

All in good fun. So, anyone watching? You know what team i'll be rooting for!

HUELEN10

... This has happened before?!
This has been going on for years, and this is very serious, and with managers, teams, uniforms, anthems and EVERYTHING. Well, more serious and less corrupt than FIFA anyways (sad, but absolutely true)! Horsefuckers (don't call us that) like myself (aka those that used to be called ponyfuckers, who used to be called bronies (not to be confused with /b/ronies or those that call themselves bronies now), who used to be called gentle/co/lts (not to be confused with /b/ron/co/s or /oat/s), who used to simply be the MLP fans on /co/ from 10/10/10) have been a part of this from the start, but it still surprises me that the brony community doesn't know too much about it. I mean, /mlp/ kicked /tv/'s ass 4-0 in the 2013 Spring Babby Cup grand finals.
Du9aMkS.png

dHSFDYl.png

CDWqmm0.png

9XH6k9T.png

That was huge. But yeah, sometimes I forget that most fans, by numbers alone, bronies or otherwise, came about in 2011 or later, not 2010.
KrPoad.gif

Loona

The 4chan cup is worth it for its implyingrigged wiki alone - the player lists for each team, when available, are a pretty neat crash course on each board's recurring topics and memes.

Obi

Neo Member
I kinda want that folder. I'll have to check my Walgreens and see if I can find one. The POW WHAM sound effects are pretty great. Pinkie should team up with 60's Batman!

Really neat one-of-a-kind ponies from Hasbro
Capture.PNG

A global, pop culture phenomenon, the MY LITTLE PONY franchise from Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) has remained deeply rooted in the value of friendship since it first launched more than 30 years ago. To commemorate the International Day of Friendship, the brand is celebrating famous friendships with one-of-a-kind MY LITTLE PONY figures honoring notable friendships throughout entertainment history. From timeless television personalities to familiar childhood characters, the MY LITTLE PONY brand brings fan favorites to life for the first time as ponies, including beloved best friends from TRANSFORMERS, Sesame Street, I Love Lucy, Clueless and Laverne & Shirley!

EDIT: I like this video. Shia LeBeouf only appears for a bit, though.

Hasbro running a "Fantasy League" event for the Friendship Games shorts, one of which will be put up every Saturday (starting from this Saturday?)

At least we're getting these shorts when we're not actually getting pony, as opposed to the previous sets of shorts.

Also, it looks like the principal of Crystal Prep Academy indeed is a new character (Cinch), and not Sombra or Cadance. She could still be Chrysalis in disguise, I guess.

And I guess we're seeing a resurgence of those videos that take sounds from the show and make music, with the above video and now this, for Butter Buildings (from Kirby's Adventure).

PaulloDEC

Hasbro running a "Fantasy League" event for the Friendship Games shorts, one of which will be put up every Saturday (starting from this Saturday?)

At least we're getting these shorts when we're not actually getting pony, as opposed to the previous sets of shorts.

Also, it looks like the principal of Crystal Prep Academy indeed is a new character (Cinch), and not Sombra or Cadance. She could still be Chrysalis in disguise, I guess.

Oh, neat. Not quite new episodes, but better than nothing.

And I guess we're seeing a resurgence of those videos that take sounds from the show and make music, with the above video and now this, for Butter Buildings (from Kirby's Adventure).

How odd. Cute though, I guess?

I like that art.

First short, about Sunset Shimmer trying to figure out how magic works in Dougworld. I know that she's supposed to be Celestia's former student, but it feels like nothing in the past two movies or the shorts gave any indication that she'd be into mad scientist stuff; it feels like they just took a script with Twilight and replaced her name with Sunset and called it a day. This also does more to reduce Dougworld Twilight's novelty, already eroded by Moondancer. I was left cold by this, but maybe some of you guys will like it.

Looks like Hasbro is preparing for G5.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/08/hasbro-jobs-site-listing-creative-lead.html#idc-container

My guess is the movie will be the series finale. Lauren started work on FiM in 2008 so the time frame fits.

That doesn't mean anything one way or another. The show didn't end when Meghan McCarthy took over from Lauren Faust (assuming that this is what that position is). We already know McCarthy received a promotion, so this may just be to replace her; the gap between the announcement of her promotion and this job listing could mean that there was someone temporarily taking her place and Hasbro is looking for someone more permanent.

I don't really get the logic of making the movie a finale of Friendship is Magic anyway. If the movie succeeds in bring in new fans, then wouldn't there be greater demand for Friendship is Magic toys and stories? It could be that the movie leads into Generation 5 by introducing new characters and retiring the old, like Transformers: The Movie, but surely Hasbro knows how badly that turned out, even if Twilight and the others probably wouldn't die.

EDIT: Looking at the description, this isn't about the show but the franchise in general. I don't think anyone's been keeping track of who was in this position in the past, so who knows what this could mean.

EDIT: Somehow missed this news. Over the next year and a half, we will be getting OVER THIRTY SONGS, and in particular, the second half of season 5 will have much more songs than the first half. The movie's score will be done by a live orchestra.

Cheerilee

I like that art.

First short, about Sunset Shimmer trying to figure out how magic works in Dougworld. I know that she's supposed to be Celestia's former student, but it feels like nothing in the past two movies or the shorts gave any indication that she'd be into mad scientist stuff; it feels like they just took a script with Twilight and replaced her name with Sunset and called it a day. This also does more to reduce Dougworld Twilight's novelty, already eroded by Moondancer. I was left cold by this, but maybe some of you guys will like it.

Yeah, I watched the video before coming back to read your post, and I came to the same conclusion. Although I guessed that they forgot how to write for Sunset, shrugged, and just wrote her as if she was Twilight's stand-in.

They did include one line about Sunset not liking book-learning (Twilight's thing), and said that she learns best by jumping in and getting her hands dirty, which seems to address (but cheapen) the reasoning behind Sunset going to Dougworld. She jumped in because her awakening inner demon was driving her lust for power, and she was trying to secretly claim a power that even Celestia said she didn't understand (which didn't stop her from using it as a dumping ground for criminals). And Sunset's recklessness in this matter trapped her in a world without magic.

Also, it was explained that the Sirens power was rekindled by Sunset's arrival in Dougworld. The Dougworld Mane Five's power is either a trace left behind by Ponyworld Twilight, or was sparked into life by Twilight. Sunset's demon power was carried with her into Dougworld, was smacked down by Twilight, and coming into her own angel power beat the Sirens as soon as Sunset high-fived Twilight. Sunset doesn't need the Rainbooms to play music and transform in order to study how magic behaves in this world, because Sunset can do the exact same thing by herself. She can produce and control her own magic, and feel what works and what doesn't. In fact, unlike the Rainbooms, Sunset is an original source of foreign magic in Dougworld, and she's confirmed to be giving off the stuff, changing the world around her (the Rainbooms might be doing the same, but maybe they need proximity to Sunset and/or Ponyworld Twilight in order to keep it up).

PaulloDEC

I like that art.

I didn't mind it. Being a match for Twilight implies a certain amount of academic ability, so the science stuff seems fine to me.

Looks like Hasbro is preparing for G5.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/08/hasbro-jobs-site-listing-creative-lead.html#idc-container

My guess is the movie will be the series finale. Lauren started work on FiM in 2008 so the time frame fits.

That doesn't mean anything one way or another. The show didn't end when Meghan McCarthy took over from Lauren Faust (assuming that this is what that position is). We already know McCarthy received a promotion, so this may just be to replace her; the gap between the announcement of her promotion and this job listing could mean that there was someone temporarily taking her place and Hasbro is looking for someone more permanent.

I don't really get the logic of making the movie a finale of Friendship is Magic anyway. If the movie succeeds in bring in new fans, then wouldn't there be greater demand for Friendship is Magic toys and stories? It could be that the movie leads into Generation 5 by introducing new characters and retiring the old, like Transformers: The Movie, but surely Hasbro knows how badly that turned out, even if Twilight and the others probably wouldn't die.

I've always thought this was too. Studios in the current climate don't want one-off hits, they want juggernaut franchises ala Marvel. Surely they'd be more interested in trying to launch FiM into a film series than making a single succesful film and then dropping the IP? Unless as you say, the idea is to use the brand awareness of gen 4 to launch gen 5 in the biggest way possible.

EDIT: Looking at the description, this isn't about the show but the franchise in general. I don't think anyone's been keeping track of who was in this position in the past, so who knows what this could mean.

EDIT: Somehow missed this news. Over the next year and a half, we will be getting OVER THIRTY SONGS, and in particular, the second half of season 5 will have much more songs than the first half. The movie's score will be done by a live orchestra.

Loving that music news.

Do they? I can't recall any interactions between them.

They are not major, but yes. Mayor Mare tells Derpy off in Hearth's Warming Eve, they are the last two ponies fighting over Smarty Pants in Lesson Zero, Derpy talks with Mayor Mare in Slice of Life, Mayor Mare bumps into giant Derpy in Do Princesses Dream...

Maybe a lot of interaction is overstating it, but those two do interact a number of times. I believe it is intentional.

tomtom94

Fourth Equestria Girls movie may be called "Legend of Everfree". We're straight up abandoning the school part now?

EDIT: Wait, I said before that there were only so many high school movie concepts, and that one of them was a camping trip movie. Will this be that?

That site seems to think it's a new series. Part of me wonders why that hasn't happened already and part of me thinks that would be too difficult to do without it being derivative of FiM.

Gonna wait until we hear more. I like your idea.

Oh, and I loved Rainbow Rocks, so cheers for the recs

Hmm pretty surprised that a 4th EqG film may be already in the works, despite Friendship Games not releasing until next month. But nonetheless, I too am all for a camping trip scenario for the 4th film.

*me patiently awaits for Friendship Games and 2nd half of FiM: Season 5*

That site seems to think it's a new series. Part of me wonders why that hasn't happened already and part of me thinks that would be too difficult to do without it being derivative of FiM.

Gonna wait until we hear more. I like your idea.

Oh, and I loved Rainbow Rocks, so cheers for the recs
That site seems to be acting solely off of the image, like we are. Considering the slide has a mix of movies and shows, we don't know either way for sure. However, I say the fact that the title is "Legend of Everfree" instead of "Legends of Everfree" makes it seem like a singular story instead of a series.

Hmm pretty surprised that a 4th EqG film may be already in the works, despite Friendship Games not releasing until next year. But nonetheless, I too am all for a camping trip scenario for the 4th film.

Glad to see a new person join this thread! Though that now makes for three people with Twilight avatars... well, at least they're distinct.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hmm pretty surprised that a 4th EqG film may be already in the works, despite Friendship Games not releasing until next year. But nonetheless, I too am all for a camping trip scenario for the 4th film.

Friendship Games actually releases next month.

Top Bottom