• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

Uchip

Banned
Orcastar said:
Dude, the first two episodes were Sailor Moon with ponies.

there is some outside inspiration perhaps
but there is nothing worthy of being a "parody"
maybe a light homage that none of the intended audience will get

FoxSpirit

Uchip said:
i refuse to believe that there is nerd pandering in my little pony
Haha :p
Actually, there has been the one or other mini-reference in MLP, including Lord of the Rings. Oh yeah, and the whole song boner for Sondheim stuff ;-)

And it's definitely a homage to the StarWars ending, down to the very wink... from Applejack?? o_O

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
McNum said:
Also, this may change something for season 2. The mane six defeated Nightmare Moon, but that happened in secret. With just the six of them plus Luna and Celestia witnessing the battle, it could be a secret and the ponies could live in peace. Now? Now they're the Saviors of Equestria, the wielders of the Elements of Harmony, the heroes who defeated Discord, and quite possibly the most famous ponies in the world. I hope they don't leave that plot thread hanging, there are some good stories to tell about dealing with being a hero, and I hope they take them on.

Honestly, I hope they do.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sailor moon ponies and they have their place at the beginning of the season. But now i want to see the episodes shift into the silly slice of life phase. I wouldn't mind them occasionally calling back to the events of episode 1 and 2 (this could be especially fun for a CMC episode) where the crusaders try to determine their element). But I don't want every episode to turn into Princess Celestia sending the Main 6 on a quest that only they can accomplish.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pancakes said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the sailor moon ponies and they have their place at the beginning of the season. But now i want to see the episodes shift into the silly slice of life phase. I wouldn't mind them occasionally calling back to the events of episode 1 and 2 (this could be especially fun for a CMC episode) where the crusaders try to determine their element). But I don't every episode to turn into Princess Celestia sending the Main 6 on a quest that only they can accomplish.

Agreed, I also hope they don't all become celebrities in Ponyville.

FoxSpirit said:
Haha :p
Actually, there has been the one or other mini-reference in MLP, including Lord of the Rings. Oh yeah, and the whole song boner for Sondheim stuff ;-)

And it's definitely a homage to the StarWars ending, down to the very wink... from Applejack?? o_O

Applejack is basically Harrison Ford as it is.
So it makes sense.

McNum

Pancakes said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the sailor moon ponies and they have their place at the beginning of the season. But now i want to see the episodes shift into the silly slice of life phase. I wouldn't mind them occasionally calling back to the events of episode 1 and 2 (this could be especially fun for a CMC episode). But I don't every episode to turn into Princess Celestia sending the Main 6 on a quest that only they can accomplish.
I didn't mean that they needed to become an adventuring party and travel the world to fight evil. I mean it more in the "being celebrated as heroes" part. Like in Green isn't your Color with Fluttershy becoming famous. How will their day-to-day lives change by being those who saved the world? It's a story that is rarely told, but one that's a good opportunity for Season 2. I want a slice of life episode next, too, but at the very least, we need to see the Cutie Mark Crusaders react to this.

I expect the moral of that episode to end up as "Just because you become popular doesn't mean you have to stop being who you are." That's a good lesson for the kids, too.

Narag

Uchip said:
that explains the awesome
tm50S.jpg

Ellis Kim

Banned
Just watched the episode....

What the hell, omg. That was a BLATANT Star Wars reference. Oh wow. Wow.

Star Trek + Star Wars. Wow, I seriously did not see that coming, and so blatantly so XD I wonder if its pandering though.

That aside, part 2 was INFINITELY better than part 1. Holy shit. Twilight's reactions and Fluttershy's attitude were fucking amazing XD XD oh my god. The entire section of Spike being forced to sub in for RD was possibly the best with just how Twilight was getting annoyed. Oh man.

I'm having a hard time remembering everything that was amazing about this episode and putting it into words XD Fluttershy speeding up, Twilight getting frustrated at the house, everything.

I don't think I've clapped and laughed more during any other episode of MLP than this. Just amazing.

Ramma2

Probably my favorite episode so far. Granted it has that new car smell factor, but I think even after a few rewatches it will still be #1.

So glad I started watching this show.

That episode was amazing. I just hope we can get more Discord in the future because he's too good of a character to just have for two episodes.

Twilight losing her shit was hilarious, appointing Spike as Rainbow Dash on the spot.

Fluttershy is Chewbacca.

blamite

So that was a pretty awesome episode. I was not expecting Star Wars! My only disappointment is that Discord was defeated by just imprisoning him in stone again. It was definitely the simplest way to wrap up the story, but I was hoping there might be some way he and the nega-ponies could come back again someday. Trap them in the Dark World or something. Still an awesome episode, and it actually made Twilight entertaining to me! That's not an easy thing to do.

The fact that there are (at least) 21 days between now and the next Pony Day makes me sad though. :(

ZoddGutts

Pretty good episode. The "battle" with the trickster was a bit rush but other than that the episode was great. Better than the first ep.

Jintor

I thought
they were going to have Dischord more or less allow them to defeat him because, well, he's Dischord and that's the sort of crazy-ass bullshit dischord would do!
But still, it was tres awesome.

OMG Aero

That episode was so damn good. Twilight slowly losing her mind in the library was hilarious as was pretty much everything Fluttershy did, once again proving she is the best pony. The music throughout the whole episode was great too and there were so many nice little touches like Discord drinking the glass instead of the chocolate milk, I'm sure there are loads more great bits of animation like that I totally missed and won't notice until I watch it again.
There are two things that bugged me about the episode, and although the rest of the episode more than made up for them I feel like they are worth a mention. First thing was the quick Discord battle at the end that other people have already mentioned, he didn't really try to stop them or escape though I guess that could be attributed to him being cocky about seemingly winning. The second thing was the scene where Twilight restored everyone back to normal, Applejack and Rainbow Dash got a good amount of screen time for those scenes but for everyone else we only got a couple of seconds, we didn't even see what happened with Pinkie. As the rest of the episode seemed to sum up season 1, it would have been really nice to see some of the memories Twilight showed the other ponies like she did for Applejack instead of just a quick flash and then they are back to normal.

All in all though, that episode was really good. If this two parter is indicative of the quality of the rest of season 2 then I can't wait for this break to be over so we can get back to some more new ponies. These adventure episodes were great but I'd love to see some season 2 slice of life episodes with this quality.
RomanticHeroX said:
I can't help but notice there wasn't much of a difference between nega-Dash and regular Dash.
The joke is that Rainbow Dash was already a jerk.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RomanticHeroX said:
I can't help but notice there wasn't much of a difference between nega-Dash and regular Dash.

Well, all Discord did was hypnotize her into moving her loyalty to Clousdale rather than Ponyville.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
i can't help but wish that Discord would become a permanent character. and i also wanna see luna again >=( i haven't seen her since the first 2 ep of season 1.

First thing was the quick Discord battle at the end that other people have already mentioned, he didn't really try to stop them or escape though I guess that could be attributed to him being cocky about seemingly winning.
Seems strange he'd be so cocky after going though all that trouble to split them up so they couldn't use the Elements, only for them to show up again back to normal. Also, I personally would have like to see them have to trick the trickster in order to defeat him.

NEO0MJ

Jintor said:
I thought
they were going to have Dischord more or less allow them to defeat him because, well, he's Dischord and that's the sort of crazy-ass bullshit dischord would do!
But still, it was tres awesome.

I don't know.
He loves to joke and play around but I felt that it was because he knew he was in total control. He should have known things will go bad when they came to him and had colors.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
NEO0MJ said:
I don't know.
He loves to joke and play around but I felt that it was because he knew he was in total control. He should have known things will go bad when they came to him and had colors.
are we assuming
ponies changing colors isn't normal?? because i felt as if twilight saw the color changes but treated it as it happens every now and then and shrugged it off.

Yes, these episodes were made as 27/28 then moved to S2 afterwards. Episode 3 will mark the start of the "real" S2 episodes (and have a new opening to boot).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wolf Akela said:
Uh, is this quote true?

Yes, this episode was produced right after they finished with S1 as part of the S1 production schedule.

Shouldn't be all that surprising given the episode was written by the same guy who wrote "Swarm of the Century."

Someone over at Ponygoons was at a Jayson Thiessen panel at Bronycon today and apparently talked about the ending. It was basically laid out by faust, but a storyboard person stayed and updated to to be a shot for shot recreation of the "A New Hope" ending. Faust loved it and went with it, but it did have be trimmed a bit.

PBalfredo

My goodness, the fandom works fast

63176%20-%20Diamond_Tiara%20artist%3Acartoonlion%20screwball%20sisters.png

Now, something that I brought up in synchtube, but I think most already left for TF2, so I ask:

If Return of Harmony was originally going to be the finale of Season 1...

Which would mean Season 1 intended to be bookended by adventure episodes...

And episode 3 of Season 2 presumably was originally conceived as the Season 2 premier...

Is the next episode going to be more adventure episodes? Another two-parter?

I'm thinking so. I know a good number here are looking forward to a slice-o-life episode next. Pacing-wise it makes sense for the Season 2 we've been given. But I think we might get a big season-premier scoped episode next.

blamite

PBalfredo said:
If Return of Harmony was originally going to be the finale of Season 1...
I'm pretty sure it was always meant to be a season 2 episode, started at the end of the first season to keep people working during the break. I think I even remember reading that it was expected to be aired at the end of this season.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
brian577 said:
Jayson Theisson gives us a hint about episode 3 at Bronycon
http://www.mlponies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179&p=71982#p71982

Tick-tock, time's running out

What could it mean?

He also mentioned more two parters

"On Lauren's departure: it was personal reasons. Which is to say she just up and told everyone she was burning out, and she withdrew right at the top of her game. It was a huge surprise to everybody, and nobody saw it coming, but they all respected her decision. The upshot is that there weren't any creative disagreements or corporate politics involved, it was just something she felt she had to do; and she'd mind-melded with Jayson and the rest of the team enough by then that they basically have all the handle on where she wanted to go with it that they need. (I wish I knew why nobody's thought to ask about this subject directly in prior interviews. It's clearly Lauren's story to tell, but it's nothing that sensitive or mysterious.)"

This is great news.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I saw both episodes. I still think Twilight gets too much screen time. Does she always have to figure out everything?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
hateradio said:
I saw both episodes. I still think Twilight gets too much screen time. Does she always have to figure out everything?
What about the CMC. Also the show is about freindship and twilight is the only one with no freinds /freinds for the first time.

Top Bottom