• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

I didn't like Discord
just sitting around, basically "come and hit me trololol". Feels rushed. I felt that Discord wasn't being himself there.

Didn't feel like him. I half expected him to mess them around before they fired the orbital cannon of harmony.

I'd have much preferred a scenario that would cause Discord to go "whoops" and get hit.

jogarrr

sumo390 said:
I wish we could have gotten a pony movie with Discord instead of rushing to fit it into a season opening 2 parter.
I think a three parter would've worked as well. Definitely moves along pretty fast at times but still a good 44 minutes.

karby

Overall, I thought the whole episode was
WINNIIIING!!
edit: I also would have preferred a three-parter though.

I kinda figured that Discord would be defeated like he did, so no real disappointment there.

This is definitely in the top tier of episodes, had me laugh out loud several times.

3 eps would really stretch this though. I think 2.5 eps is about as much as you can stretch it without dragging down the pacing down to S1E1 slowness. The intro and the ending for this two parter just felt rushed.

I mean seriously, in S2E1,
Twilight learned a spell that will fix everything? Really?

Wolf Akela said:
3 eps would really stretch this though. I think 2.5 eps is about as much as you can stretch it without dragging down the pacing down to S1E1 slowness. The intro and the ending for this two parter just felt rushed.

I mean seriously, in S2E1,
Twilight learned a spell that will fix everything? Really?

Pretty sure that that part was an inside joke to the fans constantly saying "LOL TWILIGHT! FIX IT WITH MAGIC!"

jogarrr

So burping up scrolls is a tortuous experience? The things dragon minions have to put up with..

Also, why is Spike so afraid to impersonate Dash? "That won't end well."
What has she done to him in the past? RD a bully to spike? :p

Lot of funny moments, actually kind of looking forward to watching it again to see anything I might have missed.

Also, did chaos Ponyvillie remind anyone else of 'Wackyland' from Tiny Toons Adventures? It has been forever since I've seen the show, but for some reason I immediately thought of it...

Ikael

TouchMyBox said:
MLP episodes should be as long as Game of Thrones episodes.

52121+-+Cross_over+Lyra+game_of_thrones+sitting+winter_wrap_up.jpg

BONUS:

tumblr_llger0DTSt1qkruwto1_250.gif

sumo390

So many good things from this episode
- "Discord rules, Celestia drools"
- Spike as new Rainbow Dash
- More angry Twilight Sparkle
- Flutterbitch with the "your face" insult
- Spike receiving all of the letters and the little flashbacks
- Big Mac as a dog
- Rarity and her dumb rock
- Star Wars ending, didn't see that one coming

Now we wait for the rest of S2 and after these first 2 I'm excited.

PastaGabe

Neo Member
I do agree that the final "fight" was anti-climatic (except for the awesome rainbow dome) but that "New Hope" ending made it all better. Oh, so much better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Thank God we are back to slice of life after that. It was better than the Nightmare Moon two-parter, but that doesn't excuse the lack of tension. Great visual gags and everything with the nega-ponies was gold, however.

I give it three ponies out of five.

2th

Banned
karby said:
1BWjq.jpg

It's a Screwball!

i thought this was one of the best things they have ever done in the show. i want the animated version of hr just going across the screen over and over again lol.

i agree with what others have said, it felt a bit rushed at times but was overall pretty awesome. Its a shame
to see discord defeated so fast though since he is so amusing. plus he makes pinkie pie make everyone wait while she goes and drinks chocolate rain.

also Star Wars ending... so we have Star Trek with Discord and Star Wars ending. Slight jab at Star Wars being better? let the drama commence!!!!

That was fantastic. Bit of a shame it's the S2 opener since it winds up season 1 so perfectly, but an excellent double episode wherever it sits.

Sciz

Some of the same pacing issues as the first part, but I don't think I've seen an episode of anything with such a high gags per minute ratio since Animaniacs wrapped up, at least not one that managed to hit the mark so consistently. Some of the visual ones are of the "blink and you'll miss it" variety. Also, Big Mac and Granny Smith in their finest performances.

Assorted thoughts:
-For a moment I was worried Discord would go the Joker route of getting bored without an archenemy to fight, but no, he can revel in the madness on his own just fine.
-Celestia sending back all of the letters was great on a couple of levels; one, it tied the whole series together in a really nice way, and two, it means that Celestia had them hoarded away as a contingency plan for just such an occasion.
Or personal sentiment, but that's a much less fun reason.
-M. A. Larson is such an enormous Rainbow Dash fanboy it's embarrassing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sciz said:
-M. A. Larson is such an enormous Rainbow Dash fanboy it's embarrassing.

I don't know, fan boy would have had Rarity and Pinkie fall, only for RD to realize she needs to save them and return to normal herself.

Though, It think that would have been better, and I think they all should have figured it out and returned to normal themselves.

AJ sees Applebloom or someone in trouble, and has to tell the truth to save them.
Fluttershy yells at Angel, feels terrible and returns to normal
Pinkie Pie... ummm....
Rarity has to push Tom into a river of chocolate milk to save some ponies from drowning.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
DrForester said:
I don't know, fan boy would have had Rarity and Pinkie fall, only for RD to realize she needs to save them and return to normal herself.

Though, It think that would have been better, and I think they all should have figured it out and returned to normal themselves.
That's part of the reason why I felt there was no tension. Twilight basically hax them to go back to normal, so Discord's cheating was beaten with cheating. I'm not sure that's a nice lesson to teach the children.

Darte

hah flutterbitch went into overdrive today.

I also felt this episode was a bit rushed, but only so much you can accomplish in a 20 min episode...

I can totally envision a movie sometime later with Discord + whatever the entity that made nightmare moon happen.

Now the long gap to episode 3 :(

okay not really a spoiler but I was expecting a song or something in ep2, but nothing!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Fantastic episode!

I don't really have any complaints except for the Twilight using the memory spell. I would've preferred the ponies to figure it out on their own.

FoxSpirit

Hell yeah, excellent episode. And Rainbow Dash did really get the best
un-discording
:p

Also awesome stuff, thanks to smellyfeetyouhave we now get Day 1 1080p uploads :-D

Top Bottom