• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikael

Eh, impressive, but only in relation to what seems like a whole new generation of shitty cartoons to a 90's kid. Show is undeniable quality, but not to any degree that justifies this apparent infatuation among grown men. Powerpuff Girls this is not. Whole thing still seems a bit queer to me, but who am I to judge?

I was born on the 83, thus I growed up watching mostly 80's and 90's cartoons. Present-day cartoons shits all over the pieces of crap that I used to watch when I was a kid, Jesus. I even tried to re - watch some of the older episodes of the series that I used to like, and not even nostalgia can save them. We are truthly in a golden age of TV shows and series (animated and non animated alike), and by golly, does it shows or what.

Avatar, Dexter's lab, MLP, Samurai Jack, Phineas & Ferb, Spongebob >>>>>>>>>> Transformers, He - Man, X-Men, and a long, cliched etc.

G-Fex

qEb1j.jpg

sVTRo.png

Jc8cK.png

o4vyX.jpg

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
G-Fex said:
I figured Pinkie Pie would be diabetic.
There's actually a fanfic dealing with that.
It doesn't end well.

Somebody asked for tsundere Gilda?

And another wave of the filly tsunami:

Ookami-kun said:
You know, I like 90's toons too, but whenever people bring that stuff up I want to kill someone.

I can't help but think of it as nostalgia clouding people's judgment. Maybe it's my own idiosyncratic tastes, but this looks like a resurgence of Western animation to me; MLP and Adventure Time especially blow any western cartoons we were watching as kids out of the water. There's a reason why anime only really got a toehold in the market during our childhood, and it's because the alternatives just weren't that good.

Myke Greywolf said:
There's actually a fanfic dealing with that.
It doesn't end well.

I just keep trying to giggle it away... but it's not working as well as it used to, Dash.

Whogie

What a queen!

Voted for Sonic Rainbow -- it seems the most fitting for her, although it's pretty similar to the Sonic Rainboom episode.

KtSlime

Pandaman said:
i thought touche was what you say when you acknowledge someone has scored a point on you. -.-

Indeed, it's the participe passé of toucher which is to hit, touch, or affect - I suppose she could mean it as she attained her revenge, however that's not how it is commonly used in French or English.

wsippel

Banned
Koomaster said:
Omg, I can't even... :3

How do you lock THAT away on the moon for 1000 years Celestia? How?!
Celestia and Luna were already there even before the whole fucking world existed. They're both basically immortal, and even Luna is at least tens or hundreds of thousands years old. A thousand years are nothing to an immortal being. Also, it seemed Celestia couldn't have freed Luna even if she wanted to, or else the whole pilot wouldn't make a lick of sense. She set the whole thing up after all. That whole Trollestia bullshit is really ruining my enjoyment...

Myke Greywolf said:
And it does seem as we're trying too hard.

let me point Pony-GAF to something fun they could be a part of. Some brony at Ponychan is organizing a Winter Wrap Up singalong
Lol.

Anyway, you guys are lame. I'm gonna go hang out at ponychan for the rest of the series v_v

wsippel said:
That whole Trollestia bullshit is really ruining my enjoyment...
Same... almost. I think it's annoying how the fandom have subverted the whole Celestia and Luna thing, so much so that it's almost become canon outside of the canon. But it doesn't exactly get to me.

wsippel

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
Same... almost. I think it's annoying how the fandom have subverted the whole Celestia and Luna thing, so much so that it's almost become canon outside of the canon. But it doesn't exactly get to me.
It doesn't really get to me, either, but it annoys me. I have no problem with fanart/ fanfic, but I'd prefer if it stood true to the show. Basically this:

kI2Qv.png

Not this:

KtSlime

wsippel said:
It doesn't really get to me, either, but it annoys me. I have no problem with fanart/ fanfic, but I'd prefer if it stood true to the show. Basically this:

http://i.imgur.com/kI2Qv.png

Not this:

http://i.imgur.com/v465Ll.jpg

Pfft, they are both from a broken home, no parents, older sister has to work both a day and a night shift, and the younger is headstrong and wants to get her way, and feels like nopony in all of Equestria relates to her.. Emotions are likely to run high...

Celestia was probably within her right to ground Luna, but still even for an immortal pony 1000 years is a long time in solitude.

Look at the second as social commentary. Nothing has changed, we were introduced to Luna in the first episodes, then she was taken away from us, she might as well be on the moon. I bet she feels the same, even though she has been removed from her confinement, she is still isolated and alone, separated from her subjects and friends by her job, that isn't even rewarded by gratitude due to all being asleep.

It's a fun show, and I don't think Celestia is a troll, obviously she is not, she's a character that pops up here and there and is used to frame the creation of civilization and that of the episodes moral report at the end - but I also don't think it is too hard for people, in a community that many consider to be 'odd' to feel somewhat outcast, and to relate well to Luna. We are all sometimes Luna, Celestia, RD, Twilight, etc. ;)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
yea.

sure derpy probably isn't a troubled single mom mailwoman with a muffin obsession, but its still pretty awesome for fanons sake.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
iNvidious01 said:
*enters thread for the first time*

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SdR6GbVRGmE/TBvXs1l1sRI/AAAAAAAAA8k/UTt2u0g_UXQ/s1600/homer+upset+shocked+face%5B1%5D.jpg[/IMG]

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/080/2/8/homer_bush_by_dallas1185-d3c5rhv.gif[/IMG]

Aww don't be that way! Stay awhile, and listen!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Pandaman said:
yea.

sure derpy probably isn't a troubled single mom mailwoman with a muffin obsession, but its still pretty awesome for fanons sake.
I have this opinion too, regarding fanon. It's fun to twist or even subvert the implicit notions inherent to the voids in canon, filling them with fanon to complete the universe view. The problem is when some of the most enthusiastic fringes of the fandom take their own additions way too seriously, act aggressively towards making their additions become the "valid" ones (as if anything fanon could be considered "valid") and start getting all worked up when the voids they "filled" start being closed by the creative team.

I don't worry too much about shipping, rule 34, or anything else people want to make or think, even though I reserve the right to love it or hate in a case-by-case basis. But when they start getting that emotionally invested in this universe to the point of becoming angry about any "threats", that's when they've gone too far into the abyss, IMHO.

wsippel

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
I have this opinion too, regarding fanon. It's fun to twist or even subvert the implicit notions inherent to the voids in canon, filling them with fanon to complete the universe view. The problem is when some of the most enthusiastic fringes of the fandom take their own additions way too seriously, act aggressively towards making their additions become the "valid" ones (as if anything fanon could be considered "valid") and start getting all worked up when the voids they "filled" start being closed by the creative team.

I don't worry too much about shipping, rule 34, or anything else people want to make or think, even though I reserve the right to love it or hate in a case-by-case basis. But when they start getting that emotionally invested in this universe to the point of becoming angry about any "threats", that's when they've gone too far into the abyss, IMHO.
Pretty much. I like fanon if it stays true to the source. MLP is great because there's no cynicism. Everyone can be redeemed, no hard feelings, all's well that ends well. I have no problem with shipping, either. I don't have to imagine anything in detail after all, but I like the characters, so I hope they have a fulfilled life, and sexuality, homosexual or otherwise, is part of that. It's just... I like all the characters, including Celestia* (Gilda needs to be skinned alive for making Fluttershy cry, though), and I like the show for how positive it is. And I don't understand why some people need to come up with some emo bullshit that undermines the spirit of the show.

*) I guess I simply have a different take on the pilot. The way everything panned out, simply freeing Nightmare Moon would have made everything even worse. Celestia wanted her little sister back, but freeing her wouldn't have been the way. It was imperative that she freed herself simply to fail later, or else it would have been an act of pity, and Celestia and Luna would never be able to see eye to eye. Pity can make proud people incredibly angry.

Myke Greywolf said:

I am kinda worried canon Luna will be nowhere near as cool as fanon Luna =P

meltingparappa said:
I desperately wish they'd retcon Doctor Whooves to have a british accent.

Same here! I'm hoping that they might do something like that for Season 2. Considering the voice acting is done months in advance they probably couldn't quickly switch it out like they did for Derpy's eyes, but when they do new recordings, they might keep it in mind. He is one of the most popular "Background ponies" next to Derpy.

Regulus Tera said:
I don't get it.

What don't you get? It's just a straight up parody of the 10th Doctor intro since there's a fanon parody of Doctor Who on the show. If you're talking about a couple of the names I put in there, EBC is the Equestrian Broadcasting Company, David Tangent was my own little idea for an Alter-ego name for Doctor Whoof (in lieu of David Tennant). I thought it was a clever pun (Time-related, the doctor's personality and thinking, and that he's a "Tan Gent")

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
wsippel said:
Pretty much. I like fanon if it stays true to the source. MLP is great because there's no cynicism. Everyone can be redeemed, no hard feelings, all's well that ends well. I have no problem with shipping, either. I don't have to imagine anything in detail after all, but I like the characters, so I hope they have a fulfilled life, and sexuality, homosexual or otherwise, is part of that. It's just... I like all the characters, including Celestia* (Gilda needs to be skinned alive for making Fluttershy cry, though), and I like the show for how positive it is. And I don't understand why some people need to come up with some emo bullshit that undermines the spirit of the show.
It's just the way some people are... They find subversion fun in itself, and I have to agree that it is, sometimes.

Be I can totally see where you're coming from, don't think I can't. For instance, I also think that the fanon characterization of Derpy is mostly idiotic, and it annoys me somewhat.

Dai101

Banned
G-Fex said:
That's it you forced my hand.

I draw my Pinkie Pie spell card, it turns everybody into pinkies.

pYIuIl.jpg

It's Rainbow Pink

And Pinkie Pink

Pink Sparkpink

PinkieJack

Pinkity

and Pinkieshy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom