• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
AniHawk said:
11c4hdw.gif

all i can see.

what have i done.
Then you see what we all see.

KtSlime

RomanticHeroX said:
Didn't the fans come up with the name Derpy Hooves? It's so great that that's her officially recognized name.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that Internet ponydom has been influencing the series for the past few episodes. Lauren drawing and referring to a randomly generated grey/blonde pony with bubble cutiemark and drawing error as derpy is 100% for us, the Internet FiM fans.

duckroll

Myke Greywolf said:
$610 now... OK, I'm finding hard to believe that these are serious bids.

It's a charity auction of a unique original drawing by the original creator made specifically for the auction. The bids are most definitely serious.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
RomanticHeroX said:
Didn't the fans come up with the name Derpy Hooves? It's so great that that's her officially recognized name.
Yes, but Lauren has never used that particular name herself. Even when she presented this sketch, she only wrote "The first time I've ever drawn this character.", without mentioning Derpy by name.

The auction is being held by someone else, so I don't really think it counts as an "official name". It's just something they wrote to make it easier for fans to find it, I think.

duckroll said:
It's a charity auction of a unique original drawing by the original creator made specifically for the auction. The bids are most definitely serious.
Fandom. Serious business.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trejo said:
Companies want to pay the actors miserable sums nowadays so all the good ones went off to find other avenues of income and all we're left with are the ones who are willing enough to accept.

Can I blame Televisa for this? I like to blame them for everything.

trejo

Regulus Tera said:
Can I blame Televisa for this? I like to blame them for everything.
Sure, why not? Goku, Piccolo and Kaioh-sama explain it rather well here. Chicken from Cow & Chicken butts in from time to time.

Derpy always struck me as something that gracefully flew under the radar from an official perspective.

Naming a character "Derpy" doesn't seem entirely PC (neither is "Ditzy-Doo", I guess), and I can see someone at standards having some unwarranted complaint about promoting characters who haven't gone to an eye doctor to fix their lazy eye.

The joke will be on me when she slowly takes over the show in season 2!

Cheerilee

meltingparappa said:
Derpy always struck me as something that gracefully flew under the radar from an official perspective.

Naming a character "Derpy" doesn't seem entirely PC (neither is "Ditzy-Doo", I guess), and I can see someone at standards having some unwarranted complaint about promoting characters who haven't gone to an eye doctor to fix their lazy eye.

The joke will be on me when she slowly takes over the show in season 2!
I'm of the opinion that Derpy is not really a negative phenomenon, and that she's not retarded, and that her eyes aren't permanently "derped".

The ponies are frequently doing silly things with their eyes, like when they're laughing or whatever. Derpy is somewhat unique in that she seems to be accident prone, and she derps her eyes when something goes wrong. If they can say that she does it intentionally, then it's equal to making a funny face and I'm sure it'll get past any censor.

Does anyone know what the Applejack, Twilight or PEGASUS PINKIE sketch auctions went for?

It would be surreal if Derpy's ended up generating the most money.

Nishastra

Banned
meltingparappa said:
Does anyone know what the Applejack, Twilight or PEGASUS PINKIE sketch auctions went for?

They haven't started yet.

Metacritter said:
Derpy Hooves started tonight (9/18) at 9pm PST.

Pegasus Pinkie Pie starts 9/19 at 9pm PST.

Applejack starts 9/20 at 9pm PST.

Twilight Sparkle starts 9/21 at 9pm PST.

Those are obviously supposed to be 4 rather than 9 :p

Sblargh

Banned
meltingparappa said:

It would be surreal if Derpy's ended up generating the most money.

I think all the fan base that pretends to watch the show ironically need that derpy drawing so they can be at peace with themselves... or something.

duckroll

Derpy and Pegasus Pinkie Pie should generate the most cash. The reason is obvious - these are VERY unique drawings. They're not just another drawing of character designs which have been shown everything. Derpy is the only one she's drawn of that character so far. Pinkie Pie is not a pegasus.

No one like Applesack, and Twilight is way overexposed for the drawing to attract that much attention. Plus, being the last two auctions, the big spenders would be all exhausted from bidding on the first two awesome ones, regardless if they won or not. By the time the last two come along it'll feel like cheap consolation prizes. Who the hell wants that? :)

Sblargh said:
I think all the fan base that pretends to watch the show ironically need that derpy drawing so they can be at peace with themselves... or something.
Pegasus Pinkie is a real financial contender though, because it spoils the second season finale when Pinkie finally transfers her consciousness into Rainbow Dash's body.

Also that is a pretty apt summary of ebay economics. From what I can tell about the bid history on the Derpy one, it looks like the price shot up mostly from a bidding war amongst a small number of buyers.

Nishastra

Banned
duckroll said:
No one like Applesack, and Twilight is way overexposed for the drawing to attract that much attention. Plus, being the last two auctions, the big spenders would be all exhausted from bidding on the first two awesome ones, regardless if they won or not. By the time the last two come along it'll feel like cheap consolation prizes. Who the hell wants that? :)
y9tD7l.jpg

Finding that picture and getting it on my imgur using my phone was way more effort than it was worth.

karby

Since I've finally decided on a pony related avatar, I tried to make some avatars for myself. I wasn't very good at this at all--it's my first day.
But with the season almost over, I thought I'd at least give it a shot with a new class full of characters that almost no one cares about: Equestrian villains!

jm0zI.png
yEohv.png
klUQR.png

Ok, so he isn't really a villain, but he did stop the ponies in their tracks all for the sake of his moo-stushe.

elyDb.png
ehvKO.png
6aQGp.png
KUc78.png

zTWlV.png

Don't know why I bothered with that last one, since Flutter shy is the size of a flea. :(

ahDlT.png
2fTwE.png

In hindsight, the backgrounds on these two should have been switched. D:

WVHwl.png

Y5x8N.png
SLC3k.png

Qbsp8.png

5tUHo.png

I didn't have a chance to get around to the Diamond dogs or Night-mare Moon.
Quit while I'm ahead?

2th

Banned
on episode 10 now... I feel very dirty for watching this. yet at the same time i cannot stop watching. The abyss is looking back at me and its name is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. This show is insanely amazing.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
2th said:
on episode 10 now... I feel very dirty for watching this. yet at the same time i cannot stop watching. The abyss is looking back at me and its name is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. This show is insanely amazing.

z2uJ6.png

Now you know how 90% of the people posting in this thread felt.

You're now reaching "Winter Wrap Up". That's where you surrender your soul completely.

We really need to start collecting this kind of quotes.

Foxix Von

2th said:

Yeah, that's generally how it goes. Haha, yeah we really should start collecting these quotes eventually for the inevitable season 2 thread.

EDIT: ^ waaaaaaaat. o_O holy crap haha

OMG Aero

DennisK4 said:
http://www.abload.de/img/neoponyznla.gif
Haha oh wow.

Foxix said:
Yeah, that's generally how it goes. Haha, yeah we really should start collecting these quotes eventually for the inevitable season 2 thread.
Yeah, conversion quotes would be great for the next OP.

Foxix Von

OMG Aero said:
Haha oh wow.

Yeah, conversion quotes would be great for the next OP.

It's slow going but I just started work on harvesting some positive impressions from the thread.

This is going to take a while...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
well she was a pretty sore loser to rainbow dash in the iron pony thing.

'its cheating to use physical advantages i don't have to win! you should be handicapped so its fair!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom