• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

ivedoneyourmom said:
Page 11, you should give it a bump.

I don't think anypony has any ill will towards adventure time. It too is a good show.
NEVERRRR!!!!

I mean; yeah Adventure Time is totally math! The Ice King even dressed up as a pony in one episode. So AT Fans and Bronies are like cousins, or something.

KtSlime

2ijn7fr.gif

(Sorry it's large)

Dai101

Banned

KtSlime

A rhombus you say?

2h5v4b5.png

curiouswitch said:
The Super Ponybeats are amazing. Too bad we can't get any mp3's of those. Definitely some great gym music.

They are, and you totally can. Have you looked in bandpuffs extra info right below the video?

KtSlime

curiouswitch said:
I have now and the roommates are unaware that they are listening to MLP:MiF as we speak.

Haha, nice. What's their favorite? Seem's like everypony likes Winter Wrap Up (Euro Spring Mix). I'm just pawing at the chance to hear Eurobeat Brony's latest track based off the CMC theme.

Edit: Oh Holy Celestia, I had no idea that the term pawing had been co-oped by furries. I definitely mean it in the traditional sense of the digging action a horse makes with its hooves while it is impatiently waiting for something.

curiouswitch

Neo Member
ivedoneyourmom said:
Haha, nice. What's their favorite? Seem's like everypony likes Winter Wrap Up (Euro Spring Mix). I'm just pawing at the chance to hear Eurobeat Brony's latest track based off the CMC theme.

The CMC theme is the only mp3 I don't have so far. Currently (no surprise) Winter Wrap UP (Euro Spring Mix) and Evil Enchantress (Parasprite w/ vocals remix) - Mainly because evil enchantress has been stuck in my head for days now..

curiouswitch said:
I have now and the roommates are unaware that they are listening to MLP:MiF as we speak.

that's great. i let my roommate listen to Evil Enchantress and he thought it was just a random eurobeat song.

lexi

Banned
I've missed a few pages - but I could have sworn G-Fex wasn't exactly the type of person who would have a pony avatar a few pages back.

G-Fex

lexi said:
I've missed a few pages - but I could have sworn G-Fex wasn't exactly the type of person who would have a pony avatar a few pages back.

Me either, people say I am schizophrenic

lexi said:

Admittedly I don't know G-fex from other threads, but let's not judge him until he actually starts messing shit up.

YsOJ5.jpg

So the synopsis of the upcoming episode is on wikipedia:

MLP said:
Rarity is taken by a group of Diamond Dogs and is forced to find gems for them.

I had no idea what Diamond Dogs were and didn't look it up.... finally googled it today, and well...

wikipedia said:
Diamond Dogs is a concept album by David Bowie, originally released by RCA Records in 1974. Thematically it was a marriage of the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell and Bowie's own glam-tinged vision of a post-apocalyptic world

Tyrant Celestia is canon! Okay, not really, but I'm curious to see if the show references this in any way.

KtSlime

Amibguous Cad said:
So the synopsis of the upcoming episode is on wikipedia:

I had no idea what Diamond Dogs were and didn't look it up.... finally googled it today, and well...

Tyrant Celestia is canon! Okay, not really, but I'm curious to see if the show references this in any way.

Shall we talk ponytics? I think it is quite obvious that Equestria uses a form of racially segregated caste system. Friendship and tolerance practiced by Twilight's group of friends is ultimately going to bring about a new era in the future, but the question is - will it be among equals or will Twilight be the future princes? Celestia is controlling the scene after all, and we saw from the second episode that Twilight's ability is unique in its manifestation and the representation of that ability is a crown.

Where does this leave poor Luna?

ivedoneyourmom said:
Shall we talk ponytics? I think it is quite obvious that Equestria uses a form of racially segregated caste system. Friendship and tolerance practiced by Twilight's group of friends is ultimately going to bring about a new era in the future, but the question is - will it be among equals or will Twilight be the future princes? Celestia is controlling the scene after all, and we saw from the second episode that Twilight's ability is unique in its manifestation and the representation of that ability is a crown.

Solidarity is Illusion said:
There is ample evidence that Equestria is already highly stratified, and the mantra of “friendship is magic” is nothing more than a mythic-religious creed designed to perpetuate false consciousness among the ponies.

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2011/02/24/my-little-pony-political-economy/

Solidarity is Illusion: the Political Economy of My Little Pony. A Marxist analysis of the show, :lol:

KtSlime

Amibguous Cad said:
http://www.overthinkingit.com/2011/02/24/my-little-pony-political-economy/

Solidarity is Illusion: the Political Economy of My Little Pony. A Marxist analysis of the show, :lol:

I haven't read it yet, however it looks as though Equestria, specifically places like Ponyville and Canterlot are increasingly progressive, however in WWU it does mention that Ponyville was settled by earth ponies, which would lead me to think that there were mass migrations in the past, and the proximity to the Everfree Forest is definitely of interest.

Also have you noticed that in Dash's daydream there are no earth ponies? Does she only seek adulation from unicorns and pegasi?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm currently listening to Pinkie's No Fear song and the Winter Wrap Up song while staring at G-Fex's avatar. I'm amazed at how well it syncs up. I'm mesmerized at the moment. I can't move. Join me.

Edit: it should probably go without saying that the avatar(s) could have changed since I posted this.

Foxix Von

RiccochetJ said:
I'm currently listening to Pinkie's No Fear song and the Winter Wrap Up song while staring at G-Fex's avatar. I'm amazed at how well it syncs up. I'm mesmerized at the moment. I can't move. Join me.

Well there goes what little was left of my evening.

KtSlime

RiccochetJ said:

Joining you now.

Just finished the article Ambiguous Cad, I think I will look around for more. As an anthropologist, reading about the economy and culture of ponies is quite entertaining.

The system looks similar to the Varna system; Unicorns would definitely seem to be the Brahmin, earth ponies the Vaishya, pegasi the Shudra, however the stratification is different in the ponyna system, the pegasi seem to have higher rank than the earth ponies.

Cutie marks seem to determine what Jati the individual belongs to, however it is interesting that they don't get their cutie marks until later in life, which shows that there is some fluidity - which mirrors the relationship between Varna and Jati caste systems.

Zebras would be part of the scheduled castes, I imagine that is where other non-pony, non dragon entities would also be placed.

Luna and Celestia would be the only two known of the Kshatriya.

By working together with the magic of friendship, the other castes were able to have an uprising against Luna, but that ability was wielded/lead by a member of the Unicorns, the priestly class…

Just a thought. ;)

ivedoneyourmom said:
Joining you now.

Just finished the article Ambiguous Cad, I think I will look around for more. As an anthropologist, reading about the economy and culture of ponies is quite entertaining.

The system looks similar to the Varna system; Unicorns would definitely seem to be the Brahmin, earth ponies the Vaishya, pegasi the Shudra, however the stratification is different in the ponyna system, the pegasi seem to have higher rank than the earth ponies.

Cutie marks seem to determine what Jati the individual belongs to, however it is interesting that they don't get their cutie marks until later in life, which shows that there is some fluidity - which mirrors the relationship between Varna and Jati caste systems.

Zebras would be part of the scheduled castes, I imagine that is where other non-pony, non dragon entities would also be placed.

Luna and Celestia would be the only two known of the Kshatriya.

By working together with the magic of friendship, the other castes were able to have an uprising against Luna, but that ability was wielded/lead by a member of the Unicorns, the priestly class…

Just a thought. ;)
Whoa, that's pretty impressive.

But not as impressive as the avatar combo being racked up on this page.

Tizoc

Bufbaf said:
Thank you everyone!

This one's now free:
wqYN9.gif
I'll take it =)

Watched up until Ep. 17, Stare master ep. was SO CUTE.
How many seasons have been commissioned for the show?

KtSlime

Tizoc said:
Watched up until Ep. 17, Stare master ep. was SO CUTE.
How many seasons have been commissioned for the show?

Ep. 18 came out Friday, and has the most awesome glam rock ballad ever.

26 episodes have been commissioned for season 1, and to answer your question in image form:

2m5arub.png

Yes, Faust hasn't confirmed it yet, but it looks likely due to hints dropped by some of the animators.

Shanadeus

Banned
I've watched up to the ninth episode now and the zebra episode struck me as a bit wrong.
What someone said about it suddenly classifying the different ponies as being of different species sounds about right.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ivedoneyourmom said:

As that article states, the fact that the ponies live under the rule of a queen-goddess means that she can actually decree equality, and there's nothing the other ponies can do about it.
Join the pink underground resistance.

Just kidding. Lauren has already answered a question about this, clarifying that ponies aren't nearly as given to tribalism and segregation according to hereditary lines or physical traits as humans are... at least regarding characteristics they are familiar with.

Also, here's some nice fan-art. Don't click if it's not your thing:

A franchise in the making
Hoofed and dangerous
A gentleman and a scholar

curiouswitch

Neo Member
It's actually amusing how many puns they use in the show. They are so corny but perfect for cracking me up.

PS: thanks Foxix for the amazing icon!

KtSlime

Shanadeus said:
I've watched up to the ninth episode now and the zebra episode struck me as a bit wrong.
What someone said about it suddenly classifying the different ponies as being of different species sounds about right.

Yeah, some people found it racist, I found it, I guess necessary. It had an important message, and it is good to talk about the non-hetrogeneity of 'pony' appearance and culture.

Zecora may be from a far off land, and look, talk, believe different things from the rest of the ponies that are from more 'civilized' federations under rule of Princes Celestia - she is ultimately the same in the regards that she is good willed, and she has a cutie mark - a sign that she fulfills are unique yet important role in society.

Myke Greywolf:

I'm partially joking around when I talk about the 'ponyna' caste system - I don't believe that Lauren Faust had that in mind when she created the show or the mythos. I do believe though that even if she hasn't intentionally done something that there is a bit of it that reflects an inherent/implicit understanding of what goes into a society to make it work.

In India, the Varna system is/was a terrible form of racism that got progressively worse in later years especially after the start of British rule. But I have reason to believe that only a few thousand years prior it along with a very basic Jati kept a blended society's economy functioning - the history of India is one of gradual waves of migration from west to east, each migration brought new technology, beliefs, and different-appearnaces (varna).

Anyway, I think it is pretty clearly established that Zecora is not a native of the Everfree forest, but it is interesting to wonder why there is a forest not under the direct rule of Princes Celestia, why it has ruins from a society that no longer exists - one that in the past was also likely subject to both Luna and Celetisa's law.

I'm glad that the ponies are less tribal than humans, I do think that affords them the opportunity that they may have been more segregated in the past however. If ponity is to reflect humanity, it only makes sense that it would be this way, and that the ponies are all now living in a future utopian society under a creator-god-philosopher-princess. That said, I don't think it is necessary or even beneficial for the show to go too deeply into the past transgressions of the ponies as a species/society.

curiouswitch

Neo Member
Shanadeus said:
What someone said about it suddenly classifying the different ponies as being of different species sounds about right..

Also remember this is a children's show whether we care or not. They are trying to teach morals. What better moral to be teaching our children then just because someone looks different doesn't mean they are an evil enchantress. =)

KtSlime

curiouswitch said:
Also remember this is a children's show whether we care or not. They are trying to teach morals. What better moral to be teaching our children then just because someone looks different doesn't mean they are an evil enchantress. =)

I also like that all the 'adult' ponies had a set in belief that Zecora must be evil, however the Apple Blossom the filly didn't have such beliefs, and took Twilight's initial advice to heart and went to see with her own two eyes if Zecora was good or bad. Think it could be good for kids whose parents are well slightly intolerant… It'd be nice to say that parents never teach their children bad things, or that some of us older people are devoid of stereotype making, but when you get down to it, only children are truly free of it, and "don't always let your guardian's preconceptions become yours" is good and needed advice.

(The 4 year old daughter of that westboro family makes me cry whenever she says God hates gays and that they should all go to Hell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom