• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, what do they use as currency?
Is it a complete barter society where everything is traded for other goods/services?
Or, I suppose, since they can control the animals, plants and weather, they don't even need that, since they can just make everything with ease.
Kind of a utopia, but they still have to work for it.

wsippel

Banned
AceBandage said:
Also, what do they use as currency?
Is it a complete barter society where everything is traded for other goods/services?
Or, I suppose, since they can control the animals, plants and weather, they don't even need that, since they can just make everything with ease.
Kind of a utopia, but they still have to work for it.
They have money, as seen in Mark of the Cutie.

KtSlime

AceBandage said:
I find it odd Fluttershy is ok with killing fish and worms...

As a vegetarian, I would find it a bit cruel to force a carnivore pet to eat things from plant only sources. I remedy this problem by not keeping pets, however I have no objection to vegetarians that keep pets that are carnivorous.

Nishastra

Banned
wsippel said:
They have money, as seen in Mark of the Cutie.
Also in The Ticket Master.

ThiM1.jpg

Gold coins! She's got a whole chest of them in that, even if it is a dream :p

What the flyingdy fuck fuck is this? I swore this was a joke that people had the avatars. Me and my GF are gonna watch an episode (we both love cute things), but I'm thinking this might be way too little kid cute... I'll give it a shot though I guess...

*gulp* Is there a way to watch on the consoles? (I got Hulu and Netflix).

bananas

Banned
Darknessbear said:
What the flyingdy fuck fuck is this? I swore this was a joke that people had the avatars. Me and my GF are gonna watch an episode (we both love cute things), but I'm thinking this might be way too little kid cute... I'll give it a shot though I guess...

*gulp* Is there a way to watch on the consoles? (I got Hulu and Netflix).

Just checked. Doesn't look like it.

MacAttack

Regulus Tera said:
I went to McDonald's. They didn't have MLP toys.

You guys suck.

MacAttack said:
McDonalds MLP promo is over, they are now running a Barbie promo so dont go rushing out to the Arches trying to buy a happy meal.

Now who sucks? I posted this right after the images of the Happy Meal MLP figures.

Wtf did I just watch? I had to force my girlfriend to sit through the entire episode.

I hope a movie comes out so all of you have to go in public to see it first! Muahaha.

for some sick masochist reason... I kind of enjoyed it. But in the same way I enjoy watching kids shows w/ nieces ect - you just turn your brain off and stare at pretty colors. And laugh about how stupid kids are.

Jintor

Any movie would be straight to DVD, you know that

Did you watch the first episode or the first entire episode (two-parter)?

KtSlime

Jintor said:

Yeah, but if it did go to the theatre, I'd totally be there. I'm not afraid to like what I like. ;)

ivedoneyourmom said:
Yeah, but if it did go to the theatre, I'd totally be there. I'm not afraid to like what I like. ;)
The parents might!
Jintor said:

The first part of the two parter I guess.

geeko

It gets better. It will always be very cute, but overall it is very watchable show. I liken it to Power Puff Girls and Foster's home for imaginary friends, for obvious reasons.
Lauren Faust

Uchip

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:

I still remember seeing the first pokemon movie when i was about 14 and thinking i was too old for it, looking around at all the kids in the audience...
Now I care less about what people think
BUT
its my little pony and i would definitely not go to a movie unless i had to take children to see it

sumo390

geeko420 said:
It gets better. It will always be very cute, but overall it is very watchable show. I liken it to Power Puff Girls and Foster's home for imaginary friends, for obvious reasons. Lauren Faust
Ah, that's why I can't stop watching. When I first saw an episode a few days ago I was reminded of Powerpuff Girls and now I know why.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Uchip said:
I agree with the other guy who said you're reading too much into it
there ARE other things to watch while you wait for the next episode
Don't get me wrong, I watch, read and enjoy plenty of other stuff. It's just that this is my "thing" right now, my focus. It's adorable, it's interesting, I enjoy it a lot and there's plenty to talk and speculate about it, and that part is fun too. It could have been anything else, it's just the way that I roll.

I think people on the fence about the show should not watch the first two episodes. Yeah it shows why Twilight comes to Ponyville and how she meets everyone, but they are not indicative of what the show becomes after that. Especially the Sailor Moon-ish second episode. That has yet to be revisited or even talked about in later episodes.

I would also stay away from Cutie Mark Crusader episodes. Many people feel that they are much less enjoyable than the main cast.

After saying all that, I really don't know where a good starting point would be. It should be something that involves the whole cast though. Dragonshy maybe? Followed by Bridle Gossip? Or Winter Wrap-up if you're a fan of musicals though it's only 1 song.

What do you guys think? Should we put together a starters guide for new comers? :lol

Shanadeus

Banned
Confused101 said:
I think people on the fence about the show should not watch the first two episodes. Yeah it shows why Twilight comes to Ponyville and how she meets everyone, but they are not indicative of what the show becomes after that. Especially the Sailor Moon-ish second episode. That has yet to be revisited or even talked about in later episodes.

I would also stay away from Cutie Mark Crusader episodes. Many people feel that they are much less enjoyable than the main cast.

After saying all that, I really don't know where a good starting point would be. It should be something that involves the whole cast though. Dragonshy maybe? Followed by Bridle Gossip? Or Winter Wrap-up if you're a fan of musicals though it's only 1 song.

What do you guys think? Should we put together a starters guide for new comers? :lol
I would put the Winter Wrap-up episode before the Bridle Gossip one as the former gives Twilight some well-needed characterization.

Dragonshy seem to be a great starting point, and should probably be followed up by a character focused episode for each of the main characters.

I think it's best to probably start with the first 2 eps, as you need an introduction to the characters. It is surprising how different the tone of the pilot (pt2) is to the rest of the series.

Haha. I just tried making a viewing list, but basically listed the entire series in order, bar one or two eps. I guess if the pilot doesn't grab you, you should stick with it for at least another 3 eps - all my favourite episodes work because of the way the characters have developed and any list would have to take that into account. I will throw in a few of my favorites, though.

-Sonic Rainboom
-Green Isn't Your Color
-Bridle Gossip
-Suited For Success
-Griffon The Brush Off
-Boast Busters
-Dragonshy
-Applebuck Season
-Winter Wrap-up

... I better stop there or I will end up listing the entire series :3

Furret

Banned
w00tkins said:
Sorry guys but, ugh, the cutie mark crusaders really do suck. Least entertaining episodes so far.

Yeah, The Show Stoppers was the first episode that I felt flat out sucked.

Did someone suggest these are being aired in the wrong order because it seems weird to suddenly get so many Cutie Mark Crusader episodes.

They're basically the Pony equivalent of Scrappy-Doo.

Baby Jesus said:
all my favourite episodes work because of the way the characters have developed and any list would have to take that into account.
That's what's difficult about setting a starting point somewhere in the middle. A lot of those episodes need the character development for maximum enjoyment. Eh, I dunno. It was just a suggestion because so many people dislike the pilot 2-parter. Sonic Rainbow is one of my favorites too but we really don't get a lot of Pinkie, AJ or Twilight in it.

@Furret - The episodes are not in order because Hasbro did not want there to be a set chronological order. They wanted them to be viewed any which way.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Furret said:
Yeah, The Show Stoppers was the first episode that I felt flat out sucked.

Did someone suggest these are being aired in the wrong order because it seems weird to suddenly get so many Cutie Mark Crusader episodes.

They're basically the Pony equivalent of Scrappy-Doo.
It has been speculated that the episodes are being aired out of chronological (and logical) order, because of:

- In episode 3, "The Ticket Master", the ponies are given tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala, which isn't talked about again until episode 14.
- Episode 4, "Applebuck Season", takes place during apple picking season, which is on early Fall.
- Episode 5 has Rainbow Dash acting as if she never had spent any time with Pinkie Pie, judging her only as an annoying joker.
- Same thing between Dash and Fluttershy on episode 7.
- Same thing between Applejack and Rarity on episode 8. Despite these three instances of unfamiliarity, all the ponies seemed pretty familiar with each other on episodes 3 and 4.
- Episode 11, "Winter Wrap Up", takes place at the end of Winter.
- Episode 13, "Fall Weather Friends", takes place during Fall.

This would imply that between the ponies receiving invitations to the Grand Galloping Gala and Rarity making the dresses, more than a year would have passed! That makes no sense.

So, I'd guess that episodes 3 and 14 take place after most of the others (except probably for episode 16, "Sonic Rainboom", where Rainbow Dash gets her chance to impress the Wonderbolts, since that was her whole motivation to get the tickets for the GGG).

Confusing, huh?

Shanadeus

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
It has been speculated that the episodes are being aired out of chronological (and logical) order, because of:

- In episode 3, "The Ticket Master", the ponies are given tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala, which isn't talked about again until episode 14.
- Episode 4, "Applebuck Season", takes place during apple picking season, which is on early Fall.
- Episode 5 has Rainbow Dash acting as if she never had spent any time with Pinkie Pie, judging her only as an annoying joker.
- Same thing between Dash and Flutter on episode 7.
- Same thing between Applejack and Rarity on episode 8. Despite these three instances of unfamiliarity, all the ponies seemed pretty familiar with each other on episodes 3 and 4.
- Episode 11, "Winter Wrap Up", takes place at the end of Winter.
- Episode 13, "Fall Weather Friends", takes place during Fall.

This would imply that between the ponies receiving invitations to the Grand Galloping Gala and Rarity making the dresses, more than a year would have passed! That makes no sense.

So, I'd guess that episodes 3 and 14 take place after most of the others (except probably for episode 16, "Sonic Rainboom", where Rainbow Dash gets her chance to impress the Wonderbolts, since that was her whole motivation to get the tickets for the GGG).

Confusing, huh?
We should re-arrange them into the "right" order.

Confused101 said:
That's what's difficult about setting a starting point somewhere in the middle. A lot of those episodes need the character development for maximum enjoyment. Eh, I dunno. It was just a suggestion because so many people dislike the pilot 2-parter. Sonic Rainbow is one of my favorites too but we really don't get a lot of Pinkie, AJ or Twilight in it.

Yep, it's a tough one. At least there's no real overall story arc to worry about - so the pilot can be missed out. Maybe, like Shanadeus suggested, you could have a character development and then character focused ep on each Pony. Or just list everyones favorites eps :)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
What sort of info does Pony-GAF think should be added to the OP?

I'm not a great english writer, since it's not my native language, but I always try my best. Maybe there's some native english speaker with a wittier and catchier writing style who would like to give it a shot?

Oh, and I also suck at graphics tools, so if someone is willing to make a logo and custom headers, that would be excellent. :)

Furret

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:

I'm not a great english writer, since it's not my native language, but I always try my best. Maybe there's some native english speaker with a wittier and catchier writing style who would like to give it a shot?

Oh, and I also suck at graphics tools, so if someone is willing to make a logo and custom headers, that would be excellent. :)

If you can work up a chronological episode guide I think that would be super useful for both new and old fans.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Watched about 10 minutes of the pilot, and while I (barely) understand all the appeal and everything, it's definitely not what I expected (I envisioned something like "Fairly Odd Parents meets MLP" in terms of humour)

Does it turns out to be like that so I keep looking the series or should I just quit?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Myke Greywolf said:

I can try to do some graphical work, just tell me what should be in the headers :)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Furret said:
If you can work up a chronological episode guide I think that would be super useful for both new and old fans.
Well, since a definitive statement of a chronological order would be nothing more than non-canon conjecture, I don't think that should be included as "information" to new viewers... maybe just a note that the episodes apparently aren't being aired in chronological order would be in order, I think.

I'll try to work out something more elaborate tonight.

bernardobri said:
Watched about 10 minutes of the pilot, and while I (barely) understand all the appeal and everything, it's definitely not what I expected (I envisioned something like "Fairly Odd Parents meets MLP" in terms of humour)

Does it turns out to be like that so I keep looking the series or should I just quit?
The pilot is not representative of the rest of the series, and you probably should see at least 3 ou 4 episodes to get the whole gist of it. Apart from the 2-part pilot, try some episodes like "Dragonshy" and "Bridle Gossip". If you don't get it by then, then it's probably not to your taste at all. Don't expect anything as wild as Fairly Odd Parents, though (except on the parts where Pinkie Pie is involved).

Myke Greywolf said:

You write better English than some native speakers here, trust me.

I'll cook up some graphics if you tell me what titles you want.

Edit: beaten I guess.

bernardobri said:
Watch a couple of episodes after the 2 part pilot. If it still doesn't click with you after that, at least you gave it a solid try.

@Myke - How about we throw a list of episodes up there in the order they aired with a quick synopsis and a youtube link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom