• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

curiouswitch said:
He gave me Rarity and I will probably gain at least 10lbs "farming" McDonald's for Pinkie Pie now =D

He was obviously compensated for his thievery.
No need to gain weight. If they still allow it you can just purchase the toys outright. I remember doing that often as a kid (well having my mom do it). I think the toys were like .25cent each, but that was a while ago so they might be .50cent/$1 now. But just ask and see what they say.

Disney really has corrupted the idea of Queens in fictional universes. In their own commercial for their cruise line they use the phrase "Evil Queens". It's an accurate phrase as far as Disney is concerned, but it's amazing to me how it bleeds over and affects other things.

Talking about Celestia kind of reminded me of that as she was supposed to be a queen. Crazy.

G-Fex

Cc1Pp.png

Confused101 said:
Disney really has corrupted the idea of Queens in fictional universes. In their own commercial for their cruise line they use the phrase "Evil Queens". It's an accurate phrase as far as Disney is concerned, but it's amazing to me how it bleeds over and affects other things.

Talking about Celestia kind of reminded me of that as she was supposed to be a queen. Crazy.

Celestia should definitely have been a Queen. She trapped her little sister in the moon for 1000 years... that's kinda evil. She could have at least called her after a couple of hundred years, but nooo.

Queens often had an evil role in folklore; the Brothers Grimm must have got the idea from somewhere. Disney just ran with it and imprinted that idea on a couple of generations of children.

G-Fex

Baby Jesus said:
Celestia should definitely have been a Queen. She trapped her little sister in the moon for 1000 years... that's kinda evil. She could have at least called her after a couple of hundred years, but nooo.

Queens often had an evil role in folklore; the Brothers Grimm must have got the idea from somewhere. Disney just ran with it and imprinted that idea on a couple of generations of children.

...Yeah Celestia is a jerk. I vote for Apple Bloom as the new Princess.

G-Fex said:
...Yeah Celestia is a jerk. I vote for Apple Bloom as the new Princess.

In an Apple Bloom dictatorship worth would be defined by work. Fluttershy and Rarity would be quarantined, and eventually they would....disappear.

FLUTTERSHY 4 QUEEN

DennisK4 said:
[IM]http://signavatar.com/11178_v.gif[/IMG]

This is surely one of the greatest avatars ever on GAF.

I wish I had come up with that.

So do I :( I shamelessly 'borrowed' them from a thread on ponychan. Thank you, anonymous, whoever you are.

Ikael

I have watched every episode due to this tread. Damn you guys. Damn you to hell.

Some thoughts:

This is the American Azumanga Daioh: a show whose main attractive is both white humour and cutesy, relying on a rock solid characterization. The reason why it attracts male audience speaks more about the show than the audience itself, despite of what the haters claim: it is really, really well done show. The quality is outstanding on every single area: the animation, script and the voice acting - Jesus crap, dat voiceacting - are top notch, and the notion of a show wanting to attract audience trough sheer cuteness and innocence is suprisingly Japanese in nature, so to speak, hence probably the huge nerd / otaku fandom behind it. It also doesn't hurt that there are some truthly, honest to God hylarious moments (flutterguy MURDERED me several times over), and greatly delivered by the great wealth of voice talent.

About the whole "bu bu bu but is a show aimed for little girls" crowd. Duh. Of course it is. But then again, as far as I know, Call of duty types of videogames and other suppousedly dudebro activities are suppoused to be aimed at guys, yet when a girl joins the club we cheer on her. Hypocritally enough, when a man deviates from his suppoused male role tastes then it is meeted with disgust. We are acting no better than the bitchy "guardians of the female orthodoxy" girls that mocked our nerdy girlfriends back on the highschool for liking sports and videogames as we men do. I ain't going to stop playing Vanquish, reading The Boys or watching Crank just because I like this show as well, nor last time I checked grown up girls stopped being of my interest. In fact, fuck it: it is precisely because I am an adult working on a balls to the wall competitive job position that I need to arrive home and watch something kind since my day to day world is already hard as it is.

So yay for this show and you guys for showing it to me. Can't wait for the next episode.

geeko

Ikael said:
I have watched every episode due to this tread. Damn you guys. Damn you to hell.

Some thoughts:

This is the American Azumanga Daioh: a show whose main attractive is both white humour and cutesy, relying on a rock solid characterization. The reason why it attracts male audience speaks more about the show than the audience itself, despite of what the haters claim: it is really, really well done show. The quality is outstanding on every single area: the animation, script and the voice acting - Jesus crap, dat voiceacting - are top notch, and the notion of a show wanting to attract audience trough sheer cuteness and innocence is suprisingly Japanese in nature, so to speak, hence probably the huge nerd / otaku fandom behind it. It also doesn't hurt that there are some truthly, honest to God hylarious moments (flutterguy MURDERED me several times over), and greatly delivered by the great wealth of voice talent.

About the whole "bu bu bu but is a show aimed for little girls" crowd. Duh. Of course it is. But then again, as far as I know, Call of duty types of videogames and other suppousedly dudebro activities are suppoused to be aimed at guys, yet when a girl joins the club we cheer on her. Hypocritally enough, when a man deviates from his suppoused male role tastes then it is meeted with disgust. We are acting no better than the bitchy "guardians of the female orthodoxy" girls that mocked our nerdy girlfriends back on the highschool for liking sports and videogames as we men do. I ain't going to stop playing Vanquish, reading The Boys or watching Crank just because I like this show as well, nor last time I checked grown up girls stopped being of my interest. In fact, fuck it: it is precisely because I am an adult working on a balls to the wall competitive job position that I need to arrive home and watch something kind since my day to day world is already hard as it is.

So yay for this show and you guys for showing it to me. Can't wait for the next episode.

brohoof9P8I0.png

wsippel

Banned
Baby Jesus said:

The Brothers Grimm didn't write any fairy tales. They collected them and wrote them down. They were folklore, the concept was already out there.

FoxSpirit

wsippel said:
The Brothers Grimm didn't write any fairy tales. They collected them and wrote them down. They were folklore, the concept was already out there.

Though as opposed to their name, the Brothers Grimm seriously toned down a lot of the fairy tales. The originals were often much more malevolent and morally grey, so they were heavily edited by the brothers to make them childfriendly and bring in Christian morale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm's_Fairy_Tales

It's rather brief compared to the German Wiki entry but still brushes on the topic a bit.

Articalys

Ikael said:

Some thoughts:

Actually, Azumanga was always intended for a male audience (it's even classified as shonen) and it's hard to compare the sketch comedy style to full-length episodes, so I'm not sure if I'd make that kind of connection. Not to diminish the rest of your argument, though; I agree that MLP's production values and smart writing helped make it a wider demographic success.
And yes, that deadpan singing scene is a good example of how it all works together.

Koomaster

Shanadeus said:
I can't wait for the sea ponies.
Call upon the sea ponies, when you're in distress.
Helpful as can be ponies, simply signal S.O.S.

Did any one else in the thread watch the 80's cartoon; I am starting to feel old making these references. :p

wsippel

Banned
Baby Jesus said:
Learn something on GAF every day. I was putting the cart before the horse.
Yep, and their biggest achievement wasn't collecting fairytales, it was the fact that they were the fathers of German linguistics and German philology (with Karl Lachmann and Georg Friedrich Benecke). Jacob and Wilhelm were mainly historians and scientists, not writers.

So!

I caught up on all of the episodes. Thoughts:

-Rarity is the best pony, though I'm not sure if it's her characterization so much as her amazing voice actress and the fact that the two best episodes (Suited for Success and a Dog and Pony Show) center around her or whatever.
-Earth ponies are useless. The worst part about this is that no pony seems to mind that they're completely irrelevant with the unicorns and the pegasus ponies around.
-Princess Celestia is a bitch. And where the heck did her sister go? Something's fishy.
-Those Cutie Mark Crusaders? I hate them.
-Feeling Pinkie Keen was a bothersome episode, not just for the bizarre moral, but the over the top Tex Avery style cartoon violence is just too out there for the series.
-Spike is awesome.
-Character focus is kind of unbalanced at times. Rarity, uh, rarely did anything in the earlier episodes, but a ton of the more recent ones have focused on her, and the opposite is more or less true of Applejack.
-Oh, Sonic Rainboom was another good episode.
-How old are the main six ponies intended to be, anyway? In some episodes they seem to be young adults but in others they seem to be intended to be younger teenagers. Doesn't make any sense.

I'll stop now because that's enough posting from me about ponies for now.

Shanadeus

Banned
Green Mamba said:
So!

I caught up on all of the episodes. Thoughts:

-Rarity is the best pony, though I'm not sure if it's her characterization so much as her amazing voice actress and the fact that the two best episodes (Suited for Success and a Dog and Pony Show) center around her or whatever.
-Earth ponies are useless. The worst part about this is that no pony seems to mind that they're completely irrelevant with the unicorns and the pegasus ponies around.
-Princess Celestia is a bitch. And where the heck did her sister go? Something's fishy.
-Those Cutie Mark Crusaders? I hate them.
-Feeling Pinkie Keen was a bothersome episode, not just for the bizarre moral, but the over the top Tex Avery style cartoon violence is just too out there for the series.
-Spike is awesome.
-Character focus is kind of unbalanced at times. Rarity, uh, rarely did anything in the earlier episodes, but a ton of the more recent ones have focused on her, and the opposite is more or less true of Applejack.
-Oh, Sonic Rainboom was another good episode.
-How old are the main six ponies intended to be, anyway? In some episodes they seem to be young adults but in others they seem to be intended to be younger teenagers. Doesn't make any sense.

I'll stop now because that's enough posting from me about ponies for now.
54f35755e98d8a7a11911350d579bd8ed033c6a.gif

wsippel

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
Though as opposed to their name, the Brothers Grimm seriously toned down a lot of the fairy tales. The originals were often much more malevolent and morally grey, so they were heavily edited by the brothers to make them childfriendly and bring in Christian morale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm's_Fairy_Tales

It's rather brief compared to the German Wiki entry but still brushes on the topic a bit.
Well, fairytales were not really intended for kids. And you're right, Bechstein's collection for example is something completely different. Disney wouldn't touch many of the tales he wrote down with a ten foot pole.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Ikael said:

Some thoughts: OMGHEREITGOES
Great post, thank you for that! Also: Love the "Frens" picture :)

Koomaster

Green Mamba said:
They seem to be hard workers, and as discussed earlier in this thread posses more strength/stamina than the other breeds. It doesn't matter though, everyone gets along and does their best at whatever they are good at.

She doesn't seem that mean. And I don't think we've explored the castle grounds since the first episode. Luna is probably just hanging around, maybe she is making her own set of friends in Fillydelphia? She will show up again.

The only thing I've got against the CMC is that they're just so oblivious. Otherwise I don't mind them.

Also, "Scootaloooooo! Scoot Scootaloooooooo!"

Koomaster said:
She doesn't seem that mean. And I don't think we've explored the castle grounds since the first episode. Luna is probably just hanging around, maybe she is making her own set of friends in Fillydelphia? She will show up again.

I hope Luna shows up at The Grand Galloping Gala, it being a Royal function 'n all that. She deserves an episode or two. Kinda sad that it looks like Nightmare Moon won't be returning anytime soon - not sure if the series needs a 'big bad', though. At the moment Twilight and co have nopony to use their POWAH on.

Koomaster said:
She doesn't seem that mean.
Am I missing something? She's never done anything mean / evil in the series so far.

And if I had to put their ages into human terms, I'd say they range from late teens to early twenties. To be specific I reckon:

Applejack: 22
Rarity: 21
Fluttershy: 20
Twilight:19
Pinkie Pie: 19

Something just feels right about those numbers. And we know Fluttershy is ~1 year older than Pinkie.

JoeFu said:
I just watched that episode today where they were ripping off "rabbit season" then "duck season"... weird...

Anyways, this pony phenomenon is kinda weird... Why did the GAF demographic bite so hard...? I am not trolling or making fun, I am just curious... peoples posts from what I have read have said it is "the best children's cartoon in the past decade", ect...

Koomaster

Mechanical Snowman said:
Am I missing something? She's never done anything mean / evil in the series so far.

And if I had to put their ages into human terms, I'd say they range from late teens to early twenties. To be specific I reckon:

Something just feels right about those numbers. And we know Fluttershy is ~1 year older than Pinkie.
Yeah I'm not sure where the mean comments are coming from. Maybe just because she didn't fill Twilight in from the very beginning about Luna. Or maybe the whole locking Luna away for 1000 years is why she is mean? I dunno.

I agree with your ages btw; makes sense. Applejack & Rarity seem to be the oldest because they own/run their own businesses basically.

What about Rainbow Dash for you? I would put her at 19 too; she seems kind of young, maybe only 18?

Jintor

WickedCobra03 said:
I just watched that episode today where they were ripping off "rabbit season" then "duck season"... weird...

Anyways, this pony phenomenon is kinda weird... Why did the GAF demographic bite so hard...? I am not trolling or making fun, I am just curious... peoples posts from what I have read have said it is "the best children's cartoon in the past decade", ect...

Ikael said:

Some thoughts:

That should tell you what you need to know

Shanadeus

Banned
Rewatching "The Show Stoppers".

The cutiemark crusaders really grow on you, if they get another stellar episode they might move up a notch on my list.

Mirimar

Mechanical Snowman said:

They're all legal?

Shanadeus

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:

I dunno about those numbers, would probably take it down 2 years or so to explain a couple of things such as Pinkie Pie living with her parents and Twilight being a student that was basically living at home (until she moved into the library.)

I get the feeling that Fluttershy and Dash is kinda fresh out of the nest, having moved out the age the moment they turned 18. Rarity and Applejack are probably significantly older than the rest of the gang due to them having what seem to be long-running businesses of their own - Applejack being the younger of the two as she's less independant.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
WickedCobra03 said:
Personally, I was the perfect victim from the beginning, because I really dig cutesy stuff, for whatever reason. Ally that with the solid writing and great characters, and you have a recipe for fandom.

It really is refreshing to know that quality entertainment doesn't have to be ironic, snarky or rude. And in some way, it makes us remember that our world doesn't have to be a dog-eat-dog world all the time. Other than the obvious morals given at the end of each episode, it makes us believe, through those simple but endearing characters, that true understanding can be achieved among people, through the magic of friendship.

It's just feel-good entertainment that can really make you feel good, and stay that way.

Weird, huh?

Green Mamba said:
Finally some love for Rarity, although her recent episodes helped a lot solidifying her character. She is indeed an interesting, intelligent character with some hilarious quirks. :)

Green Mamba said:
I don't agree with you. It seems to me like earth ponies are the most diversely talented of the three races. Unicorn magic is very limited in that, apart from some basic tricks, it is strong only when applied to that pony's particular talent. Twilight (and Trixie, to a lesser degree) are exception in that their talent is magic itself.

Pegasus ponies seem to me to tend to be airheads, and not really adequate for many kinds of tasks.

Koomaster said:
Yeah I'm not sure where the mean comments are coming from. Maybe just because she didn't fill Twilight in from the very beginning about Luna. Or maybe the whole locking Luna away for 1000 years is why she is mean? I dunno.

I agree with your ages btw; makes sense. Applejack & Rarity seem to be the oldest because they own/run their own businesses basically.

What about Rainbow Dash for you? I would put her at 19 too; she seems kind of young, maybe only 18?
Oop forgot Rainbow Dash! Man.

I think 18 actually, she's way too competitive and youthful. And also she's probably the most immature of the bunch as demonstrated in Ticket Master when she didn't apologise to Twilight after everyone else did.

WickedCobra03 said:
Anyways, this pony phenomenon is kinda weird... Why did the GAF demographic bite so hard...?
Relative to what? Can you compare GAF to other online communities?

And it might have something to do with GAF members in general being tolerant and open minded. That and a lot of sparking interest and curiosity through avatars, a lot of people have reported in saying they checked out the thread and, subsequently FiM episodes because they started seeing pony avatars everywhere. I don't think I've seen members of any other forum use their avatars like members of GAF do, in that various groups adopt certain avatars to identify the clique that they're a part of (sports-gaf, creepy-gaf, kpop-gaf etc).

Shanadeus said:
I dunno about those numbers, would probably take it down 2 years or so to explain a couple of things such as Pinkie Pie living with her parents and Twilight being a student that was basically living at home (until she moved into the library.)

I get the feeling that Fluttershy and Dash is kinda fresh out of the nest, having moved out the age the moment they turned 18. Rarity and Applejack are probably significantly older than the rest of the gang due to them having what seem to be long-running businesses of their own - Applejack being the younger of the two as she's less independant.
Pinkie doesn't live with her parents, we've never seen her house or her parents. And I don't think Twilight's home in Canterlot was her parent's home, I imagine that it was student accommodation for ponies studying under the Princess.

KtSlime

Koomaster said:

I'd actually put her at 18, maybe as young as 17.5. Didn't the bullies say she got and early dismissal from the academy?

The CMC are probably around 11 or so.

*All statements in horse years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom