• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Dries

Jesus christ this thread and some people in it.. I think it's time to say GAF farewell. I post on message boards to enhance my enjoyment with videogames. And when people zoom 500x on a screenshot to count pixels and keep ranting about the game.. I'm not enjoying myself at all. So see y'all.

Lunchbox

Banned
Widge said:
I like this bit from Ellie!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eurogamer-editors-games-of-the-decade-article?page=3

Interestingly the reason why she likes it is pretty much what people say about Saints Row 2.

"Yes, I do like games. Not all of them. I feel no more emotions towards most of them than I do towards, say, coat-hangers. I find many of them about as interesting. But I love some of them. What's great about games, and this is true more today than it was 10 years ago, is that there's something for everyone. I can have my Cake Mania and eat it, and you can have your Gears of Medals of Brothers of War in Space, and we can both be happy. Let's just try not to judge each other too much."

a_med_5.jpg.jpg

wtf_is_this_shit.jpg

Dabanton

:lol Just read that

You really have to ask what EG were thinking when they let her review it.

As other people have said i doubt 7 was her original mark for the game.

Saty

Big Ass Ramp said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Jesus Christ.

Please do yourself the favor and just watch the first 25 seconds of this video.

I support this. :lol :lol

The description for the first episode states that it "answers many of the questions the end of the game raised," including "what happened to the writer after the dramatic events of Season One?"

Why isn't the DLC part of the retail game itself? It sounds like a direct continuation of the ending that provides some closure and would have addressed the reviews' complaints about the unresolved ending of Alan Wake.

Widge

I love that photo of her, I think it was from when she was reviewing some god awful piece of Wii software which she gave 3/10 in the end. The picture was to illustrate the effect the game had on her in the end.

hamchan

Dries said:
Jesus christ this thread and some people in it.. I think it's time to say GAF farewell. I post on message boards to enhance my enjoyment with videogames. And when people zoom 500x on a screenshot to count pixels and keep ranting about the game.. I'm not enjoying myself at all. So see y'all.

He's gone!

Now let's bring out the REAL official thread!

Lunchbox

Banned
Dries said:

NO, dont leave yet. read miss ellies reasoning for not liking Gears of medal of brothers of war.

and dont judge her for liking cake mania cause she isnt like you !!!! nuh uh (but let her judge games you like)

derFeef

Dries said:
Sorry to hear that, Dries. But one more thing - do not let random people judge the game for you.

selig

Banned
mujun said:
Halo can be played for millions of hours if you want to keep on with the MP game. Can you do that in Zelda?

oh, maybe you didn´t notice that I ws talking about singleplayer-titles. I was.

Most of the games you mentioned as being short are either very story driven or action games. How about action games on the Wii, MadWorld for example can be finished in 5 or 6 hours.

Metroid Prime 3 is an action-game. Zelda is an action-adventure. And Galaxy is a game full of action. Yet, they´re all 20 hours+. So you´re saying story-driven games will always be short? Well, maybe that´s the problem then. Make games gameplay-driven, not story-driven. And then again, Mass Effect, one of the few long hd-games, is very story-driven. That´s hardly an excuse.

Finally hype is up to the people waiting for the game in most cases, not the people who make it. Should the developers of the game design the game based on how hyped you are for it? Do you have the same expectations for a linear story driven action game that you do for an RPG? Seems unfair to me to judge them by the same yardstick for things like length.

Well, I used to have a certain base-expectation of games in general, regarding their length. Which was 20 hours. I settled down to 15 hours last gen, but now 10 hours have become the new standard. That´s what I find troubling. Games arent more fun today than they were 10 years before, so dont use the strawman argument of "there were no that good games". I simply find it ridiculous to invest years of hype into a game that´s over in little more than 10 hours AND I find it suspicious, that somehow Wii-games, that lack fancy hd-graphics, manage to keep up the game length. I mean, imagine Alan Wake lasting 30 hours, keeping up the quality over the whole course. Would it be better? Yeah, definitely.

Stillmatic

Some of the posters in here i'm guessing aren't even old enough to be playing this game. Because some of these posts...yeeesh.

tzare

selig said:
oh, maybe you didn´t notice that I ws talking about singleplayer-titles. I was.

Metroid Prime 3 is an action-game. Zelda is an action-adventure. And Galaxy is a game full of action. Yet, they´re all 20 hours+. So you´re saying story-driven games will always be short? Well, maybe that´s the problem then. Make games gameplay-driven, not story-driven. And then again, Mass Effect, one of the few long hd-games, is very story-driven. That´s hardly an excuse.

Well, I used to have a certain base-expectation of games in general, regarding their length. Which was 20 hours. I settled down to 15 hours last gen, but now 10 hours have become the new standard. That´s what I find troubling. Games arent more fun today than they were 10 years before, so dont use the strawman argument of "there were no that good games". I simply find it ridiculous to invest years of hype into a game that´s over in little more than 10 hours AND I find it suspicious, that somehow Wii-games, that lack fancy hd-graphics, manage to keep up the game length. I mean, imagine Alan Wake lasting 30 hours, keeping up the quality over the whole course. Would it be better? Yeah, definitely.

comparing a RPG like Mass Effect with action story driven games is just nonsense. More hours of gameplay may not add real value if they feel repetitive. Darksiders is a long game, 20+ hours, because it has exploring elements, like Zelda, but games that pretend to be linear cannot last forever. Splinter Cell (or MGS with VR missions, or God of War challenges) is an example of artificially adding hours of gameplay. It may work for some people, lenghtwhores, but for me they are just extras, the main experience is what matters, and if it is 6 hours of quality gaming plus quality story i am happy.

Tonza

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I just got my Pelaaja -magazine and Alan Wake got 9/10 in it. (there were actually 3 games that got 9 in it, MH:Tri, NMH2 and AW)

I think Pelaaja is usually on the mark with their reviews. (apart from jrpg's which tend to get 6 or 7 regardless of the game... :lol )

Dries

derFeef said:
Sorry to hear that, Dries. But one more thing - do not let random people judge the game for you.

Oh don't worry; I won't :lol I'm just not enjoying my time here anymore, and that's what it all boils down too isn't it?

Hammer24

Banned
lherre said:
In spain the game is in stores today. The people is receiving his online preorders and the stores sending the confirmation that they can get it today.

Can you provide some links, for say like Amazon Spain or something, that I can use to light a fire under my retailers ass? Much appreciated! :D

bj00rn_

Banned
Widge said:

Ellie Something said:
"Gears of War, Call of Duty and Pro Evolution Soccer. But I couldn't give a toss about any of them. I am a girl and I like platformers and puzzle games. Yes, that's right - I'd rather play Ratchet & Clank than Resident Evil. I am not ashamed. "

She basically has the same gaming taste as my wife. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with a 7/10 score per se. But I sure wouldn't put Alan Wake, RE, Uncharted, Gears or Halo in my wife's hands so to speak. And I sure wouldn't bother reading a possible review from her about any of them if I just wanted to get some information about whether these games could be enjoyable for me. It's not about scores at all. It's about the content and tone of the review and were it stems from in a taste in games context. Eurogamer clearly put the wrong reviewer to the task in this case. I mean, I doubt the majority of Eurogamers' readers can identify themselves with Ellie's taste in gaming? And shouldn't that really be the starting point of when planning a review? But what do I know, maybe Eurogamer consider themselves more like a blog than a gamer's news hub.

Disclaimer: I don't let strangers decide my buying decisions. I just find the topic interesting.

lherre

Accurate
Hammer24 said:
Can you provide some links, for say like Amazon Spain or something, that I can use to light a fire under my retailers ass? Much appreciated! :D

Game is sending sms to the people who did the preorders. The shop called xtralife sent yesterday the game to all the preorders and today the people is receiving the game (like the game in the picture).

Widge

bj00rn_ said:
But I sure wouldn't put Alan Wake, RE, Uncharted, Gears or Halo in my wife's hands so to speak.

Although Ellie does love Tomb Raider & cites Uncharted 2/Bioshock/Heavy Rain as examples of story lead games done right in the review. Which would imply an appreciation for them.

KAL2006

Banned
DLC continues to piss me off. I guess I will have to YouTube the DLC chapter. I still haven't bought any DLC in my life, and am not going to start now.

KAL2006 said:
DLC continues to piss me off. I guess I will have to YouTube the DLC chapter. I still haven't bought any DLC in my life, and am not going to start now.

Well, the first one is free.

Not downloading either? Is it some sort of religion I'm not aware of? xD

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lunchbox said:
NO, dont leave yet. read miss ellies reasoning for not liking Gears of medal of brothers of war.

and dont judge her for liking cake mania cause she isnt like you !!!! nuh uh (but let her judge games you like)
But she loved Bioshock and Uncharted 2. She can't be that bad!!

bj00rn_

Banned
Widge said:
Although Ellie does love Tomb Raider & cites Uncharted 2/Bioshock/Heavy Rain as examples of story lead games done right in the review. Which would imply an appreciation for them.

Well, I see, but come on, you know that was not my point, why going technical here. I basically just picked a few random good non-puzzle games for illustration.. She clearly stated that she is mostly into simple straight forward games, no? Would be more interesting if you disagreed with my actual point.

"Diner Dash, Jak & Daxter, Bejeweled, Zuma and Pac-Man Championship Edition. I enjoyed not only Cake Mania but Cake Mania 2. I spent so much time playing Farm Frenzy over the bank holiday weekend that I rowed about it with someone I am supposed to maintain a close personal relationship with."

BTW, I love these games myself (Zuma, Bejeweled, Pac CE, and esp. Plants vs Zombies), but it's not my main thing, it's not "what defines me as a gamer". She certainly does, so why did this woman review AW?

[Nintex]

Inanna said:
But she loved Bioshock and Uncharted 2. She can't be that bad!!
But chicks dig Nathan Drake because he's an everyday guy that she can date and girls think Bioshock is cute with all the little sisters ^_^

Yoboman said:
That's a trope, not derivative or cliche

Strawman argument. Defining cliche does not make Uncharted 2 cliche.

Its not really a conversation worth having...regardless of the validity of that review, the guy is just out to protect the chastity of the AW scoring experience. Hes mocking others while raving himself...

Cliche is an interesting issue...U2 is cliched, but that doesn't stop the story from being riveting, the characters from having charisma and the presentation from being spot on...implementation of concept is important. U2's story was implemented fantastically.

Having not played AW, I can make a judgement on that account. From what I have seen from vids, I have been VERY impressed by the atmosphere and visual direction and unimpressed with voice acting and facial animations etc. Presentation wise it really is a remedy game, I had many of the same issues with Max Payne (excellent textures, poor character modelling). Regardless, I really do feel that this game looks like an excellent experience, and in large part due to the atmosphere and visual direction. I also love alpine environments.

This thread might just be the lowest you guys have ever gone.
LET IT FUCKING GO, wait for the game, then decide if you like it or not, don't go on a "I HATE ELLIE GIBSON" rampage just because she happened to not LOVE a game that you guys haven't even fucking played yet.

and hey, as for her not being the right person to review it, teh fuck? So, what if someone with Ellie's tastes wants to find out if they'd like Alan Wake, and all they can find is a bunch of dudebro reviews? I am glad Eurogamer picked her, if only to offer someone's perspective who's not much into these kind of games. There's a billion other review sites/reviewers out there giving the game pretty alright scores, so just cool your goddamn jets.

And you know what, I am so stoked beyond belief for this game, but I'm not gonna let Ellie ruin that for me.

Truant

mescalineeyes said:
LET IT FUCKING GO, wait for the game, then decide if you like it or not, don't go on a "I HATE ELLIE GIBSON" rampage just because she happened to not LOVE a game that you guys haven't even fucking played yet.

and hey, as for her not being the right person to review it, teh fuck? So, what if someone with Ellie's tastes wants to find out if they'd like Alan Wake, and all they can find is a bunch of dudebro reviews? I am glad Eurogamer picked her, if only to offer someone's perspective who's not much into these kind of games. There's a billion other review sites/reviewers out there giving the game pretty alright scores, so just cool your goddamn jets.

And you know what, I am so stoked beyond belief for this game, but I'm not gonna let Ellie ruin that for me.

Then she should have gotten a 'second opinion' type of review. The majority of the people interested in Alan Wake are not likely to be people like her. I think Kieron Gillen should have done this, if he's still with Eurogamer. His System Shock 2, Thief 3 and Bioshock reviews are some of the best reviews ever.

bj00rn_

Banned
mescalineeyes said:

? Where did all that come from? Disagree with any or all my points in my post about this Ellie woman, no problem, I want you to. But to be enraged because people post questions about her angle in the review when she herself admits to be more of an arcade gamer isn't exactly "hating" on her..

If you have a problem with certain posts (I think f.ex. the couple of posts about her appearance is off-topic, and shouldn't be in here), please address those specifically instead of generalizing the whole thread and its posts.

I'm not letting her review affect my decisions, but I think I should be allowed to have a calm rational opinion regarding what I find an interesting topic even if you don't?

BattleMonkey said:
Only people who would like this game should review it grrrr, how dare we get different peoples opinions.

Nevermind that you missed the point, I don't know if you realize it at the time you wrote that, but your post is bizarrely hypocritical don't you think..?
VVVVVVV

@ mescalineeyes

I agree wholeheartedly, however that review by Ellie is something I would expect an intern to pen.

Example:

Ellie said:
Remedy has worked hard to produce a polished game, one with impressive visuals and a new take on combat.

Two paragraphs later:

Ellie said:
Alan Wake is an accessible, undemanding game with a neat combat mechanic and decent visuals.

Now which is it, because those two descriptors are very different.

Top Bottom