• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

chubigans said:
Oh puh-leez, give that a rest.

If anything this goes to show how important a separate review thread is for a major release like this. Surprised no one did it for this game.

edit: wow at that Lynch vid. :lol

If you can show me an official thread for a Sony exclusive (you'd know afterall) that has received THIS much trolling, please link me to it so I can stand corrected.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
2 Minutes Turkish said:
If you can show me an official thread for a Sony exclusive (you'd know afterall) that has received THIS much trolling, please link me to it so I can stand corrected.
You're beyond help, so why would I waste my time?

Anyways this thread will get better once people get their hands on the game. All this back and forth PS3 exclusive/360 exclusive bullshit is just stupid, period. Yes, there are people with agendas in this thread. They're in every thread, and they're different people each time. Yes, there were people who were waiting for reviews to buy this game. And now some aren't buying it because of a few middling issues. Well, that's their decision. Why harp on them being morons for not paying money because of tearing/graphical issues? They won't be here once the game is released anyways.

In fact, true fans will be back after the release and this thread will be fine. Until then, Wake fans need to go into hibernation mode. I did that with Heavy Rain and it did wonders. :)

mujun

chubigans said:

Anyways this thread will get better once people get their hands on the game. All this back and forth PS3 exclusive/360 exclusive bullshit is just stupid, period. Yes, there are people with agendas in this thread. They're in every thread, and they're different people each time. Yes, there were people who were waiting for reviews to buy this game. And now some aren't buying it because of a few middling issues. Well, that's their decision. Why harp on them being morons for not paying money because of tearing/graphical issues? They won't be here once the game is released anyways.

In fact, true fans will be back after the release and this thread will be fine. Until then, Wake fans need to go into hibernation mode. I did that with Heavy Rain and it did wonders. :)

Pretty much what I wanted to say. What's happening in this thread is typical, still irritating that it happens but typical.

jedimike

Despite the mixed bag of reviews, I'm still stoked to get my copy on the 18th. In fact, I put Twin Peaks on the top of my Netflix queue and am looking for a similar book to keep me occupied. (I did see some recommendations from a few pages back).

It seems like people are cherry picking what they want out of the reviews, so my cherry picking review moment is when the guy said he had a dream (nightmare) about the game. To me, that means it was an immersive experience and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Graphics look great... I still don't understand the 200X zoom level from the last page. WTF? I'm not bothered by the ad placement... I thought the Sony Erickson in Splinter Cell was pretty cool. And I really don't care that the game lacks multiplayer. I have MW2 for that experience and hopefully RDR if the multiplayer pans out.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Weak. If you're going to raise your hackles, bare some teeth. Acting like a fantard while accusing others of the same is too rote to be provocative.

The graphics may not technically perform at what we're accustomed for a 360 title (though, it has an awesome setting and appears to have a great use of lighting) and I get why that bothers some people. I respect their opinion.

The story and narration method, though, seem to greatly make up for the shortcomings according to the reviews. Linearity doesn't bother me if a good story is present. So, still looking forward to AW. Still hoping Amazon mistakenly sends it early. Real early.

@jedimike: so disappointed to find out that Twin Peaks couldn't be streamed from Netflix. Ugh.

chubigans said:

I dont disagree with you about that.

But the fact is, that this is an official thread. I was under the impression that sort of stuff was off limits.

slider

God, I'm making judgements on people's agendas. What has GAF done to me?

Can't wait for this sucker. As Russ Abbott sort of once said (for UK older GAF)... atmosphere.

Shame I won't get it until, probably, the end of May given weird delivery caveats where I am. And I'd had it pre-ordered for weeks. : (

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is the free DLC code for the first episode only available for preorders or all new games? Thinking of waiting on this. Not sure if I can drop $110 within a few days with the backlog I have.

pakkit

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I dont disagree with you about that.

But the fact is, that this is an official thread. I was under the impression that sort of stuff was off limits.
You haven't been to enough official threads, dude.

jedimike

wonderkins said:
@jedimike: so disappointed to find out that Twin Peaks couldn't be streamed from Netflix. Ugh.

Me too - I actually attempted to appease myself with Dead Zone (the movie), but it was terrible. Christopher Watkin's acting in his early years was atrocious. I should have my first DVD in the mail tomorrow.

fantastical said:
Is the free DLC code for the first episode only available for preorders or all new games? Thinking of waiting on this. Not sure if I can drop $110 within a few days with the backlog I have.

I believe all new games have a redeemable token inside. Preorder gets you the avatar items and theme.

okay so i've had about an hour with the game. i'm going to give it a pass on looks FOR NOW because i'm on a crappy 22" visio screen until a new panel gets to me from ebay. regardless, i have to agree with 1up's analysis of the visuals-- they're gorgeous at night but in daytime all you notice is pop-in, muddy textures, tearing. all of the game's ugly sides come in broad daylight. i'm also playing with my 360 set at 1080p and i'm sure the game looks cleaner in its native res, but some of the cutscenes can look dog-ugly because of whatever codec was used to compress the pre-rendered video, of which there is a bit in the beginning from what i can tell

i can say this assured that during evening/twilight and night time, the lighting is fantatstic and extremely convincing. i'm frankly surprised at how much tearing i've come cross but it only seems to occur during well-lit situations. maybe someone can elaborate upon why this is

gameplay; it's really well done and smooth as butter from what i can tell. plays like you'd expect a 3rd-person action game to play, and the camera control has bit of velocity to it, and is always focused on alan in one side of the screen. i personally like this sort of camera motion, where it isn't wholly precise but feels like it is taking a tiny bit of leverage to swing left or right, but don't get me wrong, it's not slow at all or in any way intrusive

i will take more questions when i'm back on later, if there are any. i haven't kept track of this thread or the hype one due to recent travel and whatnot, and this is the first game ive played in about a month. it doesn't help that i'm playing it in the little mountain town of juneau, alaska, but i think it's definitely adding to the experience for me ;p

also, the stuff that i lol'ed at in the first 10 minutes video is a lot more convincing when you're the one playing. things that may seem corny to a bystander are more appropriate to the player, and the game is LOADED with atmosphere. oh, and the story has me hooked already so thank god tearing doesn't bug me that much. unfortunately a lot of people are going to complain about that. i'll have to see what the game looks like at 720p if i can

oh, and the game's score so far is really fitting, too. pretty great integration of soundtrack

wizword

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
okay so i've had about an hour with the game. i'm going to give it a pass on looks FOR NOW because i'm on a crappy 22" visio screen until a new panel gets to me from ebay. regardless, i have to agree with 1up's analysis of the visuals-- they're gorgeous at night but in daytime all you notice is pop-in, muddy textures, tearing. all of the game's ugly sides come in broad daylight. i'm also playing with my 360 set at 1080p and i'm sure the game looks cleaner in its native res, but some of the cutscenes can look dog-ugly because of whatever codec was used to compress the pre-rendered video, of which there is a bit in the beginning from what i can tell

i can say this assured that during evening/twilight and night time, the lighting is fantatstic and extremely convincing. i'm frankly surprised at how much tearing i've come cross but it only seems to occur during well-lit situations. maybe someone can elaborate upon why this is

gameplay; it's really well done and smooth as butter from what i can tell. plays like you'd expect a 3rd-person action game to play, and the camera control has bit of velocity to it, and is always focused on alan in one side of the screen. i personally like this sort of camera motion, where it isn't wholly precise but feels like it is taking a tiny bit of leverage to swing left or right, but don't get me wrong, it's not slow at all or in any way intrusive

i will take more questions when i'm back on later, if there are any. i haven't kept track of this thread or the hype one due to recent travel and whatnot, and this is the first game ive played in about a month. it doesn't help that i'm playing it in the little mountain town of juneau, alaska, but i think it's definitely adding to the experience for me ;p

also, the stuff that i lol'ed at in the first 10 minutes video is a lot more convincing when you're the one playing. things that may seem corny to a bystander are more appropriate to the player, and the game is LOADED with atmosphere. oh, and the story has me hooked already so thank god tearing doesn't bug me that much. unfortunately a lot of people are going to complain about that. i'll have to see what the game looks like at 720p if i can

oh, and the game's score so far is really fitting, too. pretty great integration of soundtrack
Sounds great.

I was very 'meh' on this game, just looked uninteresting, however after watching some walkthrough videos (don't care about spoilers) I was actually really intrigued by the story. In fact so much that I was really having fun just watching and couldn't wait to watch another video to learn more about what was actually going on in the game, I can't say i've felt that way with any other game before, i've stopped watching the walkthroughs though, i'm gameflying this baby as soon as it's available.

i just want to say that OMGF this river is damn gorgeous. because you have to
cross it at night over fallen logs and shit, from riverbed to riverbed withing the gushing water
, it's soooooo good

this game is consistently impressing me with its setpiece after setpiece. especially in the ways that it interacts with the mountain forestry-- when the trees and brush say in the wind and by influence it's something you end up staring at for a few seconds

Chrange

Banned
The lighting changes seem to set the mood really well.

119oy9k.jpg

Pistolero

Keep the impressions coming guys! :D
Also, to Mr. Spinnington, is the game spooky enough? That's my ONLY concern about Remedy's title, so if you could put it to rest, I would be eternally (well, as long as I live, actually) thankful!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
VegaShinra said:
Ok and the result is still the same. So the game ranges in res for certain objects and isn't fixed.

540ish for gameplay
720p pre-recorded cutscenes. Same as the screenshots.

Pistolero said:
Keep the impressions coming guys! :D
Also, to Mr. Spinnington, is the game spooky enough? That's my ONLY concern about Remedy's title, so if you could put it to rest, I would be eternally (well, as long as I live, actually) thankful!
it is DEFINITELY spooky. i wouldn't say it's scared me at any point, but it's creepy and atmospheric in the way that bioshock is. i'm sure there are legitimate scares coming, but the environmental effects and forest in general are enough to keep your senses heightened

this is a game that makes you feel unsettled throughout your time in the woods and just in general, with a consistent feeling of being unwelcome-- as if you just don't want to be there anymore

just finished episode 1, which is a fantastic start to the game. each episode ends with a title card close and some licensed music-- really nice touch to make it feel as if you're taking part in a tv show or novel. this is augmented with the opening of an episode starting with 'on the last episode of alan wake' catching up the 'viewer' to give the episode its context

Pooya

Mr. Spinnington said:
i'm also playing with my 360 set at 1080p and i'm sure the game looks cleaner in its native res, but some of the cutscenes can look dog-ugly because of whatever codec was used to compress the pre-rendered video, of which there is a bit in the beginning from what i can tell
Bink, piece of shit video codec :(, totally ruined the otherwise awesome presentation in Spilnter Cell Conviction, blocky pixelated video all over the place.

eshwaaz

Mr. Spinnington said:
it is DEFINITELY spooky. i wouldn't say it's scared me at any point, but it's creepy and atmospheric in the way that bioshock is. i'm sure there are legitimate scares coming, but the environmental effects and forest in general are enough to keep your senses heightened

this is a game that makes you feel unsettled throughout your time in the woods and just in general, with a consistent feeling of being unwelcome-- as if you just don't want to be there anymore

just finished episode 1, which is a fantastic start to the game. each episode ends with a title card close and some licensed music-- really nice touch to make it feel as if you're taking part in a tv show or novel. this is augmented with the opening of an episode starting with 'on the last episode of alan wake' catching up the 'viewer' to give the episode its context

I actually hope it doesn't reach the levels of dread and unease I experienced in the farmhouse level of Condemned. It made me seriously uncomfortable; almost a feeling of despair.

hamchan

Mr. Spinnington said:

Awesome.

F' me, I need this game. The wait's been so long. I was interested about this game since the beginning, can barely believe it's coming out soon.

miladesn said:
Bink, piece of shit video codec :(, totally ruined the otherwise awesome presentation in Spilnter Cell Conviction, blocky pixelated video all over the place.

Bink, freakin' BINK! The bane of video game codec tech. I'm sadden it's so prevalent despite superior compression codecs on the market.

derFeef

What happened during I slept? Ah okay, some guy telling us over and over again what great game MP2 was and that, even if the critical reception of it was poor and he did not play AW yet, AW is not as good.
Also nice to see the same people in here telling us the game is ugly over and over again. Again.

Good to know that there are people like Mr. Spinnington. Thank you sir, great impression so far. Sounds fantastic.

Costanza

Banned
I haven't read any review text because I'm trying to stay as spoiler-free as possible. Can anyone comment on how awesome the story is based on current impressions? It's all I care about.

Costanza said:
I haven't read any review text because I'm trying to stay as spoiler-free as possible. Can anyone comment on how awesome the story is based on current impressions? It's all I care about.

Most reviewers seem to be genuinely impressed by it. There have only been one or two reviews that didn't like it (Eurogamer seemed to hate it), but most say that it's a genuinely spine-tingling tale that's done extremely well, so I'm happy with that. It's said to be one of the highlights of the game. It's said to be emotionally engaging and pretty well-acted and written.

Pistolero

That is fantastic! Although I must confess that I get easily scared (I would literally stop RE4 when the infected villagers heads exploded revealing that ugly and monstrous parasite...OMG!; and Silent Hill2 and Alone in The dark3 made me shiver the whole way through!), but the masochist in me rejoices at that...go figure!
Also, as you pointed out, night time sequences are graphically superb...would I dare say the most beautiful on the console? :D

Costanza

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Most reviewers seem to be genuinely impressed by it. There have only been one or two reviews that didn't like it (Eurogamer seemed to hate it), but most say that it's a genuinely spine-tingling tale that's done extremely well, so I'm happy with that. It's said to be one of the highlights of the game.
Yeah, I saw one person say the girl at Eurogamer doesn't seem to like story-driven games in general, so I'm just gonna dismiss her opinion.

But yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Day one purchase. :D

Truant

Costanza said:
Yeah, I saw one person say the girl at Eurogamer doesn't seem to like story-driven games in general, so I'm just gonna dismiss her opinion.

But yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Day one purchase. :D

She's probably ugly, so it really doesn't matter. Most gamer girls are.

GreekWolf said:
There's quite a difference between lofty standards and unreasonable expectations. Choosing to exclusively date women who look exactly like Natalie Portman, who also play professional soccer and sing opera, isn't indicative of a lofty standard... it's asinine.

In the same vein, if my personal expectation for a product far exceeds the company's history of similar products, then the blame lies entirely with me. When judged by fair and rational measurements of previous accomplishments within the industry, it's an unmitigated success.

Whatever, dude. You said "any standard," even emphasizing the word "any." There are clearly standards by which this game's reception is not an "unmitigated success."

That doesn't mean it's shit, or mediocre, or not good. It doesn't mean we shouldn't buy this game, or that we won't enjoy it. However, what's "asinine" is to say that it's an "unmitigated success by any standard." Max Payne was a low-budget game by a fledgling developer, and it was great. Max Payne 2 was made a bit quickly and didn't improve much on its predecessor. It was not unreasonable to expect, or at least desire, that their 3rd try -- with a large budget and plenty of time, as well as the support of one of the most powerful publishers, and a 1st party at that -- would result in a game with a AAA reception. That is not a standard it has met so far.

Is that an unreasonable standard? Maybe according to you, but I assure you that that opinion is nothing more than just that -- an opinion. It's still a standard, thus making your original statement about this incorrect.

Exclusively date women that look like Natalie Portman? Yeah, that analogy's way off. It's more like, perhaps, expecting the cover of the SI Swimsuit Edition to feature someone really, really, really hot -- as opposed to someone mildly attractive.

Dabanton said:
You do know who you're talking to right?

I wasnt talking directly to him, but yes I do. It was a general statement. I'm just happy certain tech issues in games don't ruin my experience, and like I said earlier, I can understand why it may ruin it for some (example: pc gamers).

ShogunX

RedRedSuit said:
Max Payne 2 was made a bit quickly and didn't improve much on its predecessor. It was not unreasonable to expect, or at least desire, that their 3rd try -- with a large budget and plenty of time, as well as the support of one of the most powerful publishers, and a 1st party at that -- would result in a game with a AAA reception. That is not a standard it has met so far.

So I ask you the same question - What exactly defines a game as AAA? Budget? Review Scores? Sales? Performance? Hype? Community?

To me AAA is nothing more than a buzz word that needs to be forgotten and fast. Whether or not a game is so called ''AAA'' or not should be down to the players own individual experience with the game and nothing more.

Truant said:
She's probably ugly, so it really doesn't matter. Most gamer girls are.

Somebody had a little bit too much time on their hands but here you go - Judge for yourself

EllieGibson.jpg

She should be happy. She's hotter than over half of the women on whatever that site is :lol

wizword

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
So I ask you the same question - What exactly defines a game as AAA? Budget? Review Scores? Sales? Performance? Hype? Community?

To me AAA is nothing more than a buzz word that needs to be forgotten and fast. Whether or not a game is so called ''AAA'' or not should be down to the players own individual experience with the game and nothing more.
Score. It is a 90+ score. That is what AAA is defined as. A big blockbuster that expects to get an 90+ score.

derFeef

Shogun PaiN said:

I am getting the impression lately "AAA" is defined when the game gets announced, which is dumb of course.

selig

Banned
semi-ot:

no matter if alan wake is good or not, i HATE how it has become an industry standard that games are hyped for many, many years, and then they´re lousy 10 hour-experiences. I mean, come on!
I´m playing MH3 right now, a game that I wasnt hyped for, kinda bought it on impulse, but now im at 54 hours, and not even close to being finished, and let me tell you: every single hour has been pure fun.

Why am i mentioning this? Because it proves that games CAN be long AND fun for the whole course of the game.

Is it really that graphics that are killing fleshed-out gaming experiences? Because on one hand we have Alan Wake, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, MGS4, Halo 3, Gears of War and such, all games around 10 hours, plus minus a few. On the other hand, the Wii´s top games, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, are 20 hours and more.
The only exception on the HD-systems are RPGs, but everything that´s not a RPG is short. And no matter how good a game is, there is some kind of fatal misconception if a 10 hour-game is hyped for many years. Just my 2 cent.

ShogunX

wizword said:
Score. It is a 90+ score.

So If a game scores an 89 according to you that doesn't mean its AAA and do you have to judge this AAA status on Metacritic or Gamerankings or another site or are individual reviews used?

selig said:
semi-ot:

no matter if alan wake is good or not, i HATE how it has become an industry standard that games are hyped for many, many years, and then they´re lousy 10 hour-experiences. I mean, come on!
I´m playing MH3 right now, a game that I wasnt hyped for, kinda bought it on impulse, but now im at 54 hours, and not even close to being finished, and let me tell you: every single hour has been pure fun.

Why am i mentioning this? Because it proves that games CAN be long AND fun for the whole course of the game.

Is it really that graphics that are killing fleshed-out gaming experiences? Because on one hand we have Alan Wake, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, MGS4, Halo 3, Gears of War and such, all games around 10 hours, plus minus a few. On the other hand, the Wii´s top games, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, are 20 hours and more.
The only exception on the HD-systems are RPGs, but everything that´s not a RPG is short. And no matter how good a game is, there is some kind of fatal misconception if a 10 hour-game is hyped for many years. Just my 2 cent.

The problem with this kind of argument is that not every game has the design to be a 50+ hour experience. You tend to find games with a lot of length contain a lot of filler material like Collectibles, Side Missions, Racing and other Challenges ect ect. Quite simply this just doesn't work for every game out there.

wizword

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
So If a game scores an 89 according to you that doesn't mean its AAA and do you have to judge this AAA status on Metacritic or Gamerankings or another site or are individual reviews used?
Yes. Is a 89 a B, or an A grade on a test. It is a B. This is what the term is defined as.

Pistolero

I think it is the test of time that grants the stamp of greatness. Both Silent Hill 1 and 2 are held on high esteem nowadays by most of those who had the chance of completing them, and yet none of the two games was impervious to -legitimate- criticism. Years later, we look back on them as pinnacle of horror games thanks not to some never seen before gameplay ideas, but to swimming in a unique, terribly tense atmosphere. Alan Wake might, despite its minor flaws, end up creating a cult.

The only exception on the HD-systems are RPGs, but everything that´s not a RPG is short.

It has always been the case. Shooters, Beat-them all and Survival horror games have never been meaty in terms of length. They've become less difficult, yes, but not necessarily shorter.
Also, Monster Hunter Wii, though addictive, is a mediocre game at best... :D

Top Bottom