• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

mujun

Just started playing it. I am really enjoying so far, combat is fun and the atmosphere is great.

Graphics are good, almost great. Lighting of course is amazing, I am also really impressed by the sound.

I have many of the nitpicks other people do, crappy character faces, some spotty voicework, etc.

Trickster

Earl Cazone said:
What? People say bioshock is scarier than this? People find bioshock scary at all?
I mean, i havnt tried alan wake yet, but i expected truely scary atmosphere and moments.

I dunno about bioshock.

But for me, playing Alan Wake was relatively scary and unnerving the first few hours, but after that I got used to it and it kinda lost that scary atmosphere you talk about. Still amazing game though.

stupei

Aeana said:
I actually looked for a walkthrough, but it seems that nobody has made any past chapter 2. I don't really care to buy the strategy guide, so I'm doing without. I managed to beat chapter 3 a little while ago, though!

Not sure how good it is, but if you do find yourself interested looks like there's this. (Though personally I think Episode 3 feels the most drawn out and by extension is the most tense. You've gotten this far, you should be pretty much good to go!)

beelzebozo said:
the game is boss
Indeed, it is. People want a showcase for X360, this is definitely one. Not just a marvel of brute force effects (likely not to be even remotely possible on PS3 because of all the transparencies and blending driving every pixel that isn't the HUD), but it's surprisingly effective at managing to make you feel so tense for so long with a really good progression of encounters and set-pieces. The way they composed the areas for maximum density of forest-y mountainous area is 100% great-looking 100% of the time, IMO. Soundtrack is freaking awesome, too...much better than any other terror/horror game in, like, forever. Not everyone's gonna dig it, and it came at an unfortunate time with LP2 and RDR soaking up attention and sales, but I think this game will grow more popular and become more well-liked, especially in terms of appreciation of the technical and artistic achievement it really is. Too bad its entry was marred by the whole resolution hubbub.

So I just watched the E3 2009 gameplay footage and it seems between then and May 2010 they made dramatic changes to The story, level design and HUD. It seems Rusty had a larger part in the story back then. No wonder this game took so long to come out, they were revising it at every possible point.

thetechkid

"Your item was processed through and left our LOUISVILLE, KY 40231 facility on May 20, 2010."

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?! I want to be playing this game so much right now.

LiK

hope you guys stick around when NPCs have conversations with each other or with you. they last quite a bit. very funny stuff. so easily missed if you simply continued to your next objective.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Midway though episode two, I think. I'm jumping like a bitch in this game :lol :lol :lol I'm loving it.

mittelos

Time's been limited this week, but I finally managed to play through episode 1. Love it. Very tense. Looks great. Damn at the faces and lip-sync though. :lol Took the advice of you guys and started on hard, perfect I think for first playthrough.

Anyway, on to chapter 2 tonight. I'm already regretting not picking up the LE. Soundtrack is awesome, and I'd really like to have the book as well. And the commentary. Fuck me for trying to save a buck.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I also just finished Chapter 1, I am not good with scary games but it is so compelling I will definitely see it through. Love the music and narration.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm on Episode 3 - it seems like a pretty long episode. So far, I think Episode 2 is my favorite out of the three I've played. By far the scariest, specifically when...

A Taken jumps out of the stall to attack you. I haven't been scared like that in a long time.

Also, how long do I have until I complete Episode 3?

I'm past
the bulldozer and I've been in the coal mines for a fairly long time.

MightyHedgehog said:
Indeed, it is. People want a showcase for X360, this is definitely one. Not just a marvel of brute force effects (likely not to be even remotely possible on PS3 because of all the transparencies and blending driving every pixel that isn't the HUD)

I think the game is pretty at times, but a showcase title does not have tearing, sub hd resolution (paired with a lot of low res textures) and low poly environments.
I like the lighting and the fog a lot though!

LiK

yea, a lot of tearing and minor pop-in. and a lot of the tearing seems to be during scenes with NPCs which have no action.

schennmu said:
I think the game is pretty at times, but a showcase title does not have tearing, sub hd resolution (paired with a lot of low res textures) and low poly environments.
I like the lighting and the fog a lot though!
Eh, a showcase title showcases. It's not just about some level of temporary perfection in execution. For people who cannot get over the visual flaws, it may prove to be too much to let by them. I'm not one of those people...the tearing is fast and extremely rarely dropped into the middle third of the screen. The framerate consistency and input consistency means more to me. Remedy are really creative with their art and tech even if they probably aren't best-suited to execute on it in a flawless way. That could be down to being such a small team or whatever. I'm sure they just had to finish up and couldn't get to everything as they would've wanted...no different than most big games from most developers. I consider the impression gained by what they sacrificed (v-synch, 720p native res) to get across more important to the experience (it's the very tent-pole of the game's visual experience, in fact, to be able to depict such a tempestuous and large-scale geography) while maintaining playability. Again, not everyone is going to agree, but that's always the case no matter what title we're talking about.

Fun game w/ horrible graphics. At times it looked like they tried to upscale Max Payne. :|
Interesting story until the ending moments, mostly.
Nicely done collectibles.
Performance is better when installed.
Overall, I'd say 7.5/10.

LiK

MightyHedgehog said:
Eh, a showcase title showcases. It's not just about some level of temporary perfection in execution. For people who cannot get over the visual flaws, it may prove to be too much to let by them. I'm not one of those people...the tearing is fast and extremely rarely dropped into the middle third of the screen. The framerate consistency and input consistency means more to me. Remedy are really creative with their art and tech even if they probably aren't best-suited to execute on it in a flawless way. That could be down to being such a small team or whatever. I'm sure they just had to finish up and couldn't get to everything as they would've wanted...no different than most big games from most developers. I consider the impression gained by what they sacrificed (v-synch, 720p native res) to get across more important to the experience (it's the very tent-pole of the game's visual experience, in fact, to be able to depict such a tempestuous and large-scale geography) while maintaining playability. Again, not everyone is going to agree, but that's always the case no matter what title we're talking about.

i do agree that it's a game that does lighting really well and the audio is SUPERB.

LiK

the fake Twilight Zone stuff is pretty cool. too bad the people in the videos look like they're from the development team using their own camcorders. wouldn't be surprised if it was them.

LiK said:
i do agree that it's a game that does lighting really well and the audio is SUPERB.
Right. The game is more consistent with its lighting and shadows, features more amazing vistas, and throws more shit at the screen in such a dynamic way than any console title to date. There's just nothing like this game from an overall artistic and technical standpoint, visually. Nothing. It's really a lot of care taken using such a great blend of techniques to create such a solid and far-reaching illusion of the place and its tangibility that I can easily look past what stands out on occasion as a bit off. I mean, it's not perfect...far from, but it does what it sets out to do awesomely. And, for the purposes of the game and its aim, it's a resounding success, IMO.

MightyHedgehog said:

I agree, the tearing doesn't bother me much. The smooth framerate (so far) is definitely appreciated. Watching the 720p cutscenes shows what the game "could" have looked like though. Well, maybe for the sequel on the Xbox 720. And please Remedy, work on your animations.

Loving the atmosphere and the little details that are so important in this kind of game. Gun play is getting a little bit repetitive by now. (in chapter three)

There's just nothing like this game from an overall artistic and technical standpoint, visually. Nothing.

Really nothing? Ok then :lol

schennmu said:
Really nothing? Ok then :lol
I'd love to try out more titles on console or PC that can equal the same impression of the world so able to dynamically move and be affected...so effortlessly quick to transform and change the mood of a scene. I don't think I'm exaggerating, but it is my opinion on AW so far. If you've got a title or two to list that equals the title in the way that I mention, I'd love to experience it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MightyHedgehog said:
I'd love to try out more titles on console or PC that can equal the same impression of the world so able to dynamically move and be affected...so effortlessly quick to transform and change the mood of a scene. I don't think I'm exaggerating, but it is my opinion on AW so far. If you've got a title or two to list that equals the title in the way that I mention, I'd love to experience it.
Um, try Shattered Memories.

MightyHedgehog said:

Silent Hill 2 and 3

Y2Kev said:
Um, try Shattered Memories.
Oh, I loved the transformation effect of the world, but it's not the really same thing as what I'm talking about. That's more like a super cool and refined way to replace and distort the world the way Soul Reaver and Silent Hill Homecoming did for the transitions between worlds. I'm talking about the the sense of dynamism in the world not seemingly being limited to anything in it. Of course, it's an illusion, like it always is, but it comes off so comprehensively in AW and can be sudden and violent or subtle as it sneaks in.

schennmu said:
Silent Hill 2 and 3
Yeah, finished those a long time ago. That effect is not what I'm talking about, not exactly.

This isn't just some technical showcase thing, it's just how the world feels. I suppose it's just that AW comes off as unique in it's way and I really am taken (ha!) by it. Really, it's just the whole package of lots of physical simulation, light and shadow, and the way the atmosphere can thin out and quiet down or come in like a full on storm complete with loads of draw distance and layers of transparencies and particles and variable blur and filtering. The whole picture, I suppose.

MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, finished those a long time ago. That effect is not what I'm talking about, not exactly.

This isn't just some technical showcase thing, it's just how the world feels. I suppose it's just that AW comes off as unique in it's way and I really am taken (ha!) by it. Really, it's just the whole package of lots of physical simulation, light and shadow, and the way the atmosphere can thin out and quiet down or come in like a full on storm complete with loads of draw distance and layers of transparencies and particles and variable blur and filtering. The whole picture, I suppose.

Yes, the game is doing a great job in terms of setting the mood with audio, lighting and post precessing effects. But I have to finish the game first to give a better judgement.
I don't think it can touch the old SH games in the atmosphere department though.

charsace

corrosivefrost said:
Fun game w/ horrible graphics. At times it looked like they tried to upscale Max Payne. :|
Overall, I'd say 7.5/10.
Full of shit.

Those who focus completely on AW's textures or claim the low-res textures somehow prevent AW from being an elite game visually are really selling short everything AW does that IMO makes it so impressive......dynamic lighting, volumetric fog and smoke, and all kinds of amazing post processing effects on open-world tech. The fact Remedy has AW running steady at 30fps is a credit to them itself. Expecting better textures or a higher resolution is asking for this game to be on a extremely high end PC, or come out in 2013 on the next gen consoles. As it is, AW is a visual achievement.

Compton's Most Wanted said:
As it is, AW is a visual achievement.

It is, but it's just a little too inconsistent. Hit or miss.
Some stuff looks amazing, other areas are below average (interiors especially)
It might have the best fog ever though. Sounds stupid and somehow fog always makes me think of Turok on N64 :D. But seriously, the fog is gorgeous in AW.

ACE 1991

About half way through episode 2, and the game has really got it's hook in me. What can I say, I'm a sucker for focused games heavy on narrative. I do have a few gripes such as the awful lip sycning and the one-dimensional nature of the combat (although I'm sure it will deepen some as I'm still pretty early in the game, even so it at least has a nice rhythm to it.) Speaking of combat (I'm playing on hard) what should I do when I'm facing enemies and have no ammunition? Just run and dodge attacks to the next safe haven? Anyways awesome game, I'm digging the hell out of it. :D

conman

Trent Strong said:
Some people are finally starting to criticize this game a little, as well they should be.
Few folks think this game is without major flaws. Even its strongest supporters admit as much. But that doesn't mean it can't still be a great experience.

Last two episodes are pretty bad both in terms of gameplay and story. Seems like they rushed through the end in many ways.

sgnhh

Neo Member
SquallASF said:
All you guys that are sad for finishing the game already should try to get all the achievements. There isn't a single unreasonable achievement for this game.

How about the one you get for watching the mood breaking Verizon Wireless commercial in the lodge? What a buzzkill, holy crap.

slider

conman said:
Few folks think this game is without major flaws. Even its strongest supporters admit as much. But that doesn't mean it can't still be a great experience.

I've just started playing. I think it's a pretty game both day and night.

But it has some awful aspects. Principally these are camera, corny story and VA! Execution could've been better. I found myself thinking "Remedy took their sweet time with this... but where does that effort show?"

But still, I'm enjoying it and can't stop playing.

derFeef

Trent Strong said:
Some people are finally starting to criticize this game a little, as well they should be.
I am maybe the biggest supporter of this game and I stated several times that Alan Wake has it´s flaws. EG - The pacing is pretty inconsistend and the last few hours do not hold up on the quality, feel rushed. Tearing is a problem sometimes and the facial animations.. well.. no words there.

There is a big difference between criticicsm like this and
corrosivefrost said:
that.

Sadly the formers ones get heard and taken more seriously.

Dabanton

Halfway? through chapter 4 and i'm really enjoying it. Just done the
stage show
which was absolutely awesome and i'm now moving towards the
main house

The taken are still spooking me out, it's to Remedy's credit that the fights with them still have me on edge each time.

Don't think a game has had me this tense for a long time i don't think some people realise how hard it is to maintain a mood like that, even in the daytime when i was visiting locations that sense of dread is palpable.

I hope MS have been smart and retained Remedy's services for a sequel they've got a fantastic base to work from.

Majora

corrosivefrost said:
Overall, I'd say 7.5/10.

Have you even seen Max Payne recently?

Something to consider with regards to the graphics as well is that, although the game has been made quite linear, it's still using the open-world engine. You get given an objective and can see it in the distance. You know you'll get there 20 minutes later, you can see the exact path you'll take to it, and you can even see the collectables from far in the distance. When you get to your objective you can often look back and see exactly where you've come from. It's a pretty amazing technical achievement with all the lighting and effects going on and for that I can excuse it some occasional tearing or sub-par textures.

derFeef said:
I am maybe the biggest supporter of this game and I stated several times that Alan Wake has it´s flaws. EG - The pacing is pretty inconsistend and the last few hours do not hold up on the quality, feel rushed. Tearing is a problem sometimes and the facial animations.. well.. no words there.

There is a big difference between criticicsm like this and

that.

Sadly the formers ones get heard and taken more seriously.

I agree. I liked Alan Wake. This thread was just too much of a love fest.

Progmetal

Just started playing through chapter 1 and now to chapter 2. Good story and pretty tense, but i see a pixellated mess mostly at night in the fog. Can't unsee it now. :(

Aggghh. I really should just play the game straight through without collectibles. But the other part of me wants to get everything but the non insane ones in the first playthrough.

Going to channel down the collector obsessive portion of myself and play it through once for the immersion/story. I'm nearing the first boss at this point, but it's bed time.

Top Bottom