• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

imtehman

Banned
Aeana said:
I've finished chapter 2, but I think I'm too much of a wimp for this game. It's very interesting, but I'm way too tense the whole time, and it's actually physically exhausting to play because of that. :( I'll keep going for as long as I can, though, because I want to see what happens next.

This game is REALLY intense. I've never felt this way about playing a game before, i was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time i was playing ch 6 and felt like i had to look over my shoulder because there was something behind me.

And you're right, it was so physically exhausting getting through some of the stuff that i had to pause the game and turn on the lights, get a cup of coffee, and hop right back on.

damn i love this game!

Cant0na

Banned
Aeana said:
I've finished chapter 2, but I think I'm too much of a wimp for this game. It's very interesting, but I'm way too tense the whole time, and it's actually physically exhausting to play because of that. :( I'll keep going for as long as I can, though, because I want to see what happens next.

just take a break in between chapters. thats why theres episodes. youre constantly in fear of getting attacked so your always supposed to be tensed, thats the whole design of the game.

i got up, got a drink and got something to eat after each episode. treat it like a tv series, its more enjoyable that way than doing marathon sessions.

Aeana

Cant0na said:
just take a break in between chapters. thats why theres episodes. youre constantly in fear of getting attacked so your always supposed to be tensed, thats the whole design of the game.

i got up, got a drink and got something to eat after each episode. treat it like a tv series, its more enjoyable that way than doing marathon sessions.
Well, I have been. I did chapter 1 yesterday, and chapter 2 today. The chapters are kind of lengthy, though. And I totally understand that it's the way the game is designed, I just don't know if I can handle it.

soco

Aeana said:
Well, I have been. I did chapter 1 yesterday, and chapter 2 today. The chapters are kind of lengthy, though. And I totally understand that it's the way the game is designed, I just don't know if I can handle it.

i actually wish the episodes were split in half or something. they are almost effectively done that way, but without the "end of episode" roll.

LiK

Aeana said:
Gets less scary for me as it goes on. In fact, I don't really find the game scary at all. The jump scares work but I feel no dread. I think I'm immune after playing through dreadfests like Bioshock and Dead Space. :)

Korey

Aeana said:
The chapters are on the lengthy side. If I were you I'd just stop every time the setting changes. It seems like there tends to be around 2-3 main settings per episode.

But...this game isn't really that scary. It's very moody/immersive though.

Cant0na

Banned
Aeana said:

the pacing changes a bit near the end. and Barry (the comic relief character) should help ease the mood after a certain part of the game opens up

Aeana

LiK said:
Gets less scary for me as it goes on. In fact, I don't really find the game scary at all. The jump scares work but I feel no dread. I think I'm immune after playing through dreadfests like Bioshock and Dead Space. :)
I couldn't play BioShock, either, but I did manage to get through Dead Space! I'm actually really proud of that. :eek:

OK just got the game and popped it in.

Should I go Normal or Hard? I enjoy a challenge but I don't like getting stuck too long at a specific part.

Suggestions?

imtehman

Banned
sublime085 said:
OK just got the game and popped it in.

Should I go Normal or Hard? I enjoy a challenge but I don't like getting stuck too long at a specific part.

Suggestions?

gaf consensus is hard is teh way to go.

LiK

Aeana said:
I couldn't play BioShock, either, but I did manage to get through Dead Space! I'm actually really proud of that. :eek:
Cool! Stick with Wake, the episodes get progressively better.

soco said:
i actually wish the episodes were split in half or something. they are almost effectively done that way, but without the "end of episode" roll.
Huh? they are. Every episode (except the final) is two parts. If you are at the main menu and select 'Chapters' or maybe it was 'Episodes', you can select which of the two parts you want to play. This is after you've already beaten the whole episode, ofcourse.

derFeef said:
Nightmare is creeping my out. Knowing that the fights are much harder adds to the tension³

What changes make it much harder? Is it only that enemies take more damage? Hard mode is waaay too easy. It seriously feels like Normal and I can't imagine how easy Normal mode must be.

SquallASF said:
Huh? they are. Every episode (except the final) is two parts. If you are at the main menu and select 'Chapters' or maybe it was 'Episodes', you can select which of the two parts you want to play. This is after you've already beaten the whole episode, ofcourse.

Actually some episodes might be more then two parts perhaps? For example, episode 1 is three parts I discovered when I replayed it.

Cant0na

Banned
SquallASF said:
What changes make it much harder? Is it only that enemies take more damage? Hard mode is waaay too easy. It seriously feels like Normal and I can't imagine how easy Normal mode must be.

theres a bit of ammo management since enemies eat up alot of shots. i ran out of ammo and just ran for the next light a few times. also had to run from 2 axe guys with nothing on me since 2/3 hits can kill you

you have to use explosive tanks, flashbangs, flares alot more just to survive

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Actually some episodes might be more then two parts perhaps? For example, episode 1 is three parts I discovered when I replayed it.
Episode 1 might be the exception, I didn't check that one. Pretty sure 2-5 are two and 6 is one.

Cant0na said:
theres a bit of ammo management since enemies eat up alot of shots. i ran out of ammo and just ran for the next light a few times. also had to run from 2 axe guys with nothing on me since 2/3 hits can kill you

you have to use explosive tanks, flashbangs, flares alot more just to survive

Ha, maybe that's why I'm kicking hard modes' ass. I make maximum use of my flare tech and I like to alter my angle of approach so that I hit multiple enemies with both the flashlight and also the shotgun. Looks like this practice will serve me well in Nightmare.

derFeef

SquallASF said:
Ha, maybe that's why I'm kicking hard modes' ass. I make maximum use of my flare tech and I like to alter my angle of approach so that I hit multiple enemies with both the flashlight and also the shotgun. Looks like this practice will serve me well in Nightmare.

Hehe, I must be the worst console player or something because I had a hard time on hard sometimes. Especially in the earlier episodes. With flares and flashbangs I got much better. The gas tanks helped as well. Stuck in EP2 right now on nightmare (missed a page, grr).

soco

SquallASF said:

oops i didn't know that. i guess i just wanted chapters to be episodes. i'm just playing through for the first time and each episode feels too long and i feel the need to play through an entire episode at once. it's silly, but i do.

Miburou

Just finished the game (on hard, got 37/50 achievements) and I gotta say I didn't really enjoy the game for the most part. I think I would've liked it much more had it been more open, with you having a map and knowing where you need to go, but choosing the path you want (avoid open spaces or check them out for ammo, etc.? explore the world or go straight to the goal?) rather than the linear, going from light source to light source, with checkpoints all over the place.

I'm really disliking this recent trend of micro-goals and checkpoints every 5 minutes (and worse when the game tells you you've reached a checkpoint; totally removes most of the tension). The combat, while enjoyable, also felt repetitive half-way through. A bit more diversity in enemy type would've been appreciated.

I think the foundation is there for a great game, but the gameplay for me was too simple and ordinary.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Aeana said:
Well I can't play this game then. :lol I couldn't really even handle the opening of Bioshock nor Dead Space. A pity since I adore Max Payne

soco

derFeef said:
Hehe, I must be the worst console player or something because I had a hard time on hard sometimes. Especially in the earlier episodes. With flares and flashbangs I got much better. The gas tanks helped as well. Stuck in EP2 right now on nightmare (missed a page, grr).

i have a hard time with hard mode as well, but that has to do with the way i play games like this. i hate trying to use my resources because i'm afraid i'll get to some point near the end and not have enough of something. i only use my flares if there's a ton of people really, really close to me and i don't think i can get out. i end up trying to save flashlight because of the way a new one needs to 'recharge'. it's easy to get trapped and blow through 5 batteries in no time. i always finish a level with all sorts of leftover ;)

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I finally got to start playing this this morning and holy shit what an awesome game. I'm really, really loving it so far. The atmosphere is amazing. Between this and Red Dead Redemption my whole weekend will be in front of the tv. :lol

Tokubetsu

soco said:
i have a hard time with hard mode as well, but that has to do with the way i play games like this. i hate trying to use my resources because i'm afraid i'll get to some point near the end and not have enough of something. i only use my flares if there's a ton of people really, really close to me and i don't think i can get out. i end up trying to save flashlight because of the way a new one needs to 'recharge'. it's easy to get trapped and blow through 5 batteries in no time. i always finish a level with all sorts of leftover ;)

Yea, I'm a resource hoarder as well. My biggest problem though was the dodge. I dodge way too early most of the time but the alternative control scheme has helped a lot.

derFeef said:

I think the game did a good job at balancing because in the earlier chapters before you get that better weaponry, the enemies come in smaller packs. Try walking around so that you can flash your light beam at a diagonal angle that will hit multiple enemies at once, it will go a long way towards fending off larger groups. Shotguns can be used similarly. I'm eager to try out Nightmare, I stopped at Chapter 6 last night so shouldn't be long before I get to tackle it.

soco said:

I did the same thing for the first few chapters. I'm even worse with RPG's, hording the best items for some all powerful boss that never comes. Why can't I ever bring myself to use elixirs? In Alan Wake, I found myself sticking to the revolver and not using any flash tech initially. I kept telling myself to use it because you lose it but what really got me to start using all my resources was the achievements. Once I saw I need x kills with each weapon, I started using them constantly. Definitely try out your other weapons and see what works best for different situations. A guy or two on her has mentioned stringing combos of various attacks, that's definitely the most satisfying way to combat and the most effective, too.

derFeef

soco said:
halfway through I learned - use your stuff! maybe thats´ why I got better as well. You only have one chance to survive in the end.

Tokubetsu

I abused the living fuck out of flares in Episode 3. You get so many! I ran around with 9-12 most of that episode. That episode really long as well.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
derFeef said:
halfway through I learned - use your stuff! maybe thats´ why I got better as well. You only have one chance to survive in the end.

Same here, I was very cautious about using my extra items early on but did much better once I started using them more.

Pretty gutted I finished this game already tbh, I should of kept to an episode a night really, I may go in for some more collectables though, collecting those Thermos flasks is dam addicting.

All you guys that are sad for finishing the game already should try to get all the achievements. There isn't a single unreasonable achievement for this game.

derFeef

Metalic Sand said:
So how good is the commentary mode? im saving it for after nightmare mode.
Pretty good so far, but it takes you out of the game a bit. It also scared me one time as it makes a loud "WOOSH" noise when the small commentary video starts in the lower left corner.

mYm|17|

It's definitely nice having Sarah and Barry with you.

Oh yea, do you really have to shut the door every time u get out of the vehicle!!! :lol

Costanza

Banned
I love that I was able to find all the TV shows without REALLY going out of my way and getting frustrated. Night Springs episodes were easiest the coolest and most worthwhile "collectable item" in a game, ever.

Pooya

Costanza said:
I love that I was able to find all the TV shows without REALLY going out of my way and getting frustrated. Night Springs episodes were easiest the coolest and most worthwhile "collectable item" in a game, ever.
I would buy "Night Springs" on DVD or Blu-ray if they release them, no kidding.

stupei

Aeana said:

Though I guess you might feel like it's cheating, if you start to feel too stressed by a particularly tense moment you could always check a walkthrough to see if there's likely to be a big ambush up ahead. I know that sort of goes against the tension the game is trying to create, but it's a possible means of getting through a rough segment so you can continue to enjoy the game's narrative.

stupei said:
Though I guess you might feel like it's cheating, if you start to feel too stressed by a particularly tense moment you could always check a walkthrough to see if there's likely to be a big ambush up ahead. I know that sort of goes against the tension the game is trying to create, but it's a possible means of getting through a rough segment so you can continue to enjoy the game's narrative.

Ha, this reminded me of a friend of mine that wanted to see the story or Resident Evil: Code Veronica because the rest of us were talking it up. She was too scared to play such games so I recorded my entire play session for her (speed run for the most part but actually took time to capture each page of diaries and even jokes like the comment on examining the toilet) and let her watch it all as if it was a movie. She really enjoyed it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I thought this game was pretty average, with some hints of greatness. Remedy shoul've put their money on the "thriller" side instead of betting the farm on the survival horror aspects of the game.

Becomes very repetitive and rather unimpressive. Some moments are cool, and by and large Barry makes things fun.

Disappointed overall with the game, story wasn't strong enough to justify Remedy's claims and at the end of the day...damn, the resolution of the game really impacts the enjoyment because it's distracting. Nice lightning effects don't make up for it.

Remedy, bolder next time. 6 years making such a creatively scarce game like this...not cool.

Aeana

stupei said:
I actually looked for a walkthrough, but it seems that nobody has made any past chapter 2. I don't really care to buy the strategy guide, so I'm doing without. I managed to beat chapter 3 a little while ago, though!

What? People say bioshock is scarier than this? People find bioshock scary at all?
I mean, i havnt tried alan wake yet, but i expected truely scary atmosphere and moments.

LiK

just finished the game. pretty great but the ending confused me...

btw, i can confirm that they DO blink their eyes in the cutscenes, lol. i was doublechecking :lol

Earl Cazone said:
What? People say bioshock is scarier than this? People find bioshock scary at all?
I mean, i havnt tried alan wake yet, but i expected truely scary atmosphere and moments.

yea, Bioshock was damn scary to me. Wake is not scary tho.

Dabanton

Earl Cazone said:

The first hour of Bioshock is scary once you have your powers you pretty much untouchable.

That plus the enemies don't stop talking so you lose your fear factor of them.

Top Bottom