• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Dabanton

Progmetal said:
Just started playing through chapter 1 and now to chapter 2. Good story and pretty tense, but i see a pixellated mess mostly at night in the fog. Can't unsee it now. :(

Really? the night scenes are some of the best around.

MacBosse

Wow ... I'm kinda confused with how people can say this looks awful/shitty ... what I'm seeing is an awesome display of lightning and atmosphere.

I must have some kind of fanboy googles on because I think AW looks fantastic.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MacBosse said:
Wow ... I'm kinda confused with how people can say this looks awful/shitty ... what I'm seeing is an awesome display of lightning and atmosphere.

I must have some kind of fanboy googles on because I think AW looks fantastic.

dont be confused mang, be happy you really think it looks amazing. As do I, its one of the best looking games I've ever played and I couldnt be happier for being " blind " towards all its supposed blemishes...
well except, the lip-sync and tearing at times

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have two major gripes beside the facial animations.

1) How dare this stupid ass game not allow me to pick the hardest difficulty, and then tie a major component of the storyline to that difficulty level. To whoever made this decision; fuck you. I hope you never work in the industry again. This game is entirely about the story and atmosphere, and you just robbed me of a large portion of the first...because guess what? The story will NOT have the same impact the second time around. Again, fuck you.

2) Severely unnecessary HUD elements. Your game is supposed to be atmospheric, right? Then why the hell do you not include the option to turn off the HUD? That silly map is useless anyway.

Other than that, the game is good. The first point is threatening to ruin my good time though. Really, really disappointing on their part to do that.

Cant0na

Banned
just watched the 6 bright falls episode. i'd say watch it after playing the game.....you'll understand whats going on better

btw........was jake in the game? did i miss him?

corrosivefrost said:
Fun game w/ horrible graphics. At times it looked like they tried to upscale Max Payne. :|
schennmu said:
I think the game is pretty at times, but a showcase title does not have tearing, sub hd resolution (paired with a lot of low res textures) and low poly environments.
I like the lighting and the fog a lot though!
Alan Wake is one of the best looking games out on consoles, if not the best. Everything comes together so well, especially during the night scenes. AW is one of the few games that has graphics that are greater than the sum of its parts.

WanderingWind

Dax01 said:
Alan Wake is one of the best looking games out on consoles, if not the best. Everything comes together so well, especially during the night scenes. AW is one of the few games that has graphics that are greater than the sum of its parts.

...what?

Besides the lighting, the graphics are pretty average across the board. RDR and ME2 look about the same. Plus, the facial animations and blank stares on everybody sort of takes it out the running for BEST.

Back on topic, finished 3rd chapter. Best one so far. Still pissed about the Nightmare difficulty, because I have yet to be challenged while playing. I have more than enough of everything to kill everything.

derFeef

Finished Episode two on nightmare and I just died one time surprisingly. While I collected all nightmare manuscripts, I missed two normal ones, what the hell...

WanderingWind said:
...what?

Besides the lighting, the graphics are pretty average across the board. RDR and ME2 look about the same. Plus, the facial animations and blank stares on everybody sort of takes it out the running for BEST.
They're only blank stares because for some reason Remedy forgot that people blink during cutscenes.

Graphics are most definitely not average. I love the look of Alan Wake.

WanderingWind

Dax01 said:
They're only blank stares because for some reason Remedy forgot that people blink during cutscenes.

Graphics are most definitely not average. I love the look of Alan Wake.

There is really no point in arguing this, so let's just leave it at, "I strongly disagree." :D

Wizpig

The graphics are fantastic, but I think that the difference between in-game and videos is too noticeable at times. (more than Final Fantasy 13 at least)

I mean, the videos (with the game engine) look like a movie and the overall color palette seems better, too.
Don't you guys think so, too?
But still, in-game is beautiful.

I don't like the Night Springs episodes. The acting kinda sucks and they come off as stupid and pretentious. They should have let the people who did the Bright Falls episodes handle them. Also why is the same TV in every house?

MCD said:
i mean, have you seen this guy? he wears a tweed jacket.

I lol'd at that part!

Dax01 said:

I could agree with you for the lighting and the post precessing effects. But the visuals of a game are ALWAYS a sum of its parts, so no. Just too inconsistent.

derFeef

schennmu said:
I don't like the Night Springs episodes. The acting kinda sucks and they come off as stupid and pretentious. They should have let the people who did the Bright Falls episodes handle them. Also why is the same TV in every house?
I think.. you do not get it? Those are not pro actors, the dub is done poorly on purpose and it should obviously be kind of cheesy. Almost the same as the Max Payne TV shows back then. I love them.

derFeef said:
I think.. you do not get it? Those are not pro actors, the dub is done poorly on purpose and it should obviously be kind of cheesy. Almost the same as the Max Payne TV shows back then. I love them.

Ok, I don't get it then.
Could have done this waaay cooler. Especially if you are so familiar with David Lynch's work.
Speaking of Lynch, the police station and the receptionist are a direct copy from Twin Peaks. Love it!

derFeef

schennmu said:
Ok, I don't get it then.
Could have done this waaay cooler. Especially if you are so familiar with David Lynch's work.
Speaking of Lynch, the police station and the receptionist are a direct copy from Twin Peaks. Love it!

Did not know Twilight Zone was done by Lynch.
;)

May Payne was kind of b-movie style to begin with, right? The style doesn't really fit with AW imo. They should have come up with something really scary and disturbing.

mujun

I don't think this is one of the best looking games out on consoles. Then again it's definitely on the good side of average graphics wise.

Story, pacing and atmosphere are all top notch though. At least as far as end of episode 2. This will probably stay firm in my memory to the same degree as something like Bioshock in terms of story and atmosphere.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
female alan wake avatar t-shirt up for grabs

R7C8Q-F8PMV-2MTGP-CXHWB-BJQDY

schennmu said:
Ok, I don't get it then.
A man
crawls over a couch
at the beginning of Chapter 4 just like
Bob
. That scene in Twin Peaks made my blood turn cold.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Aeana said:
Wow, nobody had grabbed that yet almost an hour later? I did just now. Thanks!

np. my amazon pre-order came with a male avatar t, femal t, and a theme. i downloaded the male shirt and it wouldnt let me dl the female one (unless i switched my avatars sex, wtf), so i figured someone may want it. glad it wasnt just a lurker and someone at gaf got it

snap0212

Short question, because I'm on the go...
Do I have to play on hard in order to play on nightmare on my second playthrough? I'm currently playing on normal but want to start a nightmare-run on my second playthrough... :/

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
every fight feels really tense. atmosphere in the dark forest is thick and oppressive.

continuing to impress me. this is VERY well done. like THE SUFFERING with a lot more subtlety.

wRATH2x

Banned
Just beat the game.

I bought this game out of impulse, I wasn't really that interested in buying it. I remember the E3 2005 reveal and being interested, I was really surprised to find out that it was coming out a week after I wiki'd it.

The game is great, seriously I loved it. The gameplay was fun, the story was interesting and the presentation was really awesome. I loved how it took from novels and twilight zone episodes. My personal favorite scene was
The Anderson Brothers stage fight with the awesome music blasting on the speakers.

I hated the dodge mechanic though, it doesn't really work well. And the jumping was awkward, its just annoying when you try to get over something and you have to jump a few times to get over it. Also some of the facial animations were annoying, Alice in particular had a stupid look on her face like "Doie!". I had no problems with the voice acting though, and pop-culture references are a guilty pleasure of mine so I liked some here. "Judas Priest!" :lol

Overall I'd give it a 9.2/10

wRATH2x

Banned
JaxJag said:
Wait, people actually think Alan Wake looks bad or mediocre?

Damn... I'm I playing a different game or something?
Nah the graphics are good, but the facial animation for some(especially Alice) is not.

mittelos

The_Inquisitor said:
Aggghh. I really should just play the game straight through without collectibles. But the other part of me wants to get everything but the non insane ones in the first playthrough.

Going to channel down the collector obsessive portion of myself and play it through once for the immersion/story. I'm nearing the first boss at this point, but it's bed time.
Yeah, I'm having the same problem. Think I'm gonna stick to just picking up the collectibles in plain sight and save the rest for nightmare.

Making my way through ep 2, and damn, I'm really getting engrossed. The atmosphere is ace. Controls really well. Love the dodge slo-mo move, but I do wish you could combo it with some sort of melée attack or something. Feel like I'm wasting the slo-mo time, unless I'm missing something?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Mite as well post this here

Women's Avatar T-Shirt code is FMXFY-V84PH-FMCTY-DJ74G-K4XQY

Really loving the Nightmare mode manuscripts.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wasn't planning on it beforehand, but I might actually replay this in nightmare mode. Are the manuscripts in your path or did they still hide them?

witness

Finished up the last 20 minutes of the game this morning after marathoning it yesterday afternoon episode 3-6. By the end the "tricks" that the game pulled were so predictable, you could see everything coming, no surprises. The combat was still so much fun to me the entire time, I was never scared, and the story was great until the WTF ending. Its a very very good game. Time for RDR now Gamefly!

mittelos

schennmu said:
Where are you guys getting all the avatar shirts from? Not included in the LE, right?
I think it was a Gamestop preorder bonus. Of course, mine didn't seem to get the memo. I think it might have also been in the LE.

Costanza

Banned
Second DLC episode will be $10

alanwakethewriter580px.jpg

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Was thinking of something crazy. Max payne had dream sequences and stuff. What if there was something where alan wake was in a Night springs episode. :lol

Top Bottom