• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
WHOA, i just noticed this!!! People with a tag reader app read.

Episode 4 when emil hartman is touring you around after you meet the first patient who plays video games/does kung fu, Go upstairs and there is a Tag for smartphones that have that tag reader app. Someone find out what it does!

PIC with shitty cam

jjasper

Metalic Sand said:
WHOA, i just noticed this!!! People with a tag reader app read.

Episode 4 when emil hartman is touring you around after you meet the first patient who plays video games/does kung fu, Go upstairs and there is a Tag for smartphones that have that tag reader app. Someone find out what it does!

PIC with shitty cam

:lol Yeah I just noticed this too. I though "man this looks a lot like the crackdown tags I wonder....." and
bam I was calling hartman

Tokubetsu

RagolSlayer said:
I just found another one of those tags near the beginning of the game
right after you see your first Taken. It's on the poster/bulletin board

Edit: Here's a quick pic of it. Not sure if it'll work though. http://i46.tinypic.com/2h32c21.jpg

Gave me a code for an Alan Wake XBL theme. It was a message from Verizon and they said there were 2 more tags so if the Episode 4 is another one, anyone spot the other?

Miburou

Metalic Sand said:
Anyone else do this part like i did.
It was in like episode 5 i think. If you turned on the radio this kicks in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tA2d4DWdGw&feature=related And you have a pretty big fight of like 10-15 guys. Felt pretty epic almost as good as episode 4's
Was just thinking back to it and if someone didnt do it that way.

LOL, yeah, I turned on the radio every time I died and had to do that fight again.
Just felt like I had to have that song during the fight. :lol

Got through Episdoe 3 last night, on track for all collectibles.

Abot to start Episode for in the next couple of nights. Absolutely adoring this game. So atmospheric.

Tokubetsu

Miburou said:
LOL, yeah, I turned on the radio every time I died and had to do that fight again.
Just felt like I had to have that song during the fight. :lol

You're not the only one. It was awesome and I consider it one of the "set piece" moments. REALLY felt like a cinematic moment.

derFeef

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
Just Finished.

One of the best game for Xbox 360 (if not of this gen.)

Hope to see Alan Wake 2 @ E3 2011
Oh god yes. Agree with every single word there. Damn I need more time for my second playthrough.

Costanza

Banned
Here's some codes for the AW/Verizon theme.

P8XPG-JD692-6RYDP-GCVTQ-H8RPJ
KHK2Q-R2Y4T-JYGWX-BBK7Y-BG96B
HQGVM-98CYK-HCBRD-VFCRW-HT96D
DMT2X-K62D6-YY7KT-6DWDP-JHWCT
CPJTV-4YB2D-Y77TR-KYV36-CPQTJ

Dorrin

I'd say I'm halfway through Episode 3 and so far I'm really enjoying the experience. I've actually been scared twice, actually jumped which is a rare experience for me these days. Great game so far, can't wait for the rest of it.

As a side note I also like the fact you restart on equipment each episode, I'm a notorious horder so its letting me play looser with ammo and weapons which I'm enjoying.

Tokubetsu

Have you guys ever stepped on an object, like a board etc and it quickly snapped and hit you and it scared the shit out of you? Some weird glitch with their physics I'm guessing but it's scared the shit out of me at least 4 times throughout the game.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Tokubetsu said:
Have you guys ever stepped on an object, like a board etc and it quickly snapped and hit you and it scared the shit out of you? Some weird glitch with their physics I'm guessing but it's scared the shit out of me at least 4 times throughout the game.

Yup it happens all the time. on my first play through it made me jump. :lol

codecow

Tokubetsu said:
This and Dead Space have some of my favorite sound design this generation.

I am a bit of the way into Chapter 4 now and mostly liking it. It is a bit repetitive in parts, run run run, shoot shoot shoot, run run run, puzzle puzzle puzzle. The encounters are all very similar so I can see why the metacritics and such have it as good but not amazing.

As for the sound design, I agree it's really good. They have a lot of the same problems as Dead Space in terms of their encounters and music. One thing I do like a lot is the subtle techno backdrop between some of the fight sequences. I am playing with headphones so I am probably catching a bit more of the nuances.

Tokubetsu

codecow said:
I am a bit of the way into Chapter 4 now and mostly liking it. It is a bit repetitive in parts, run run run, shoot shoot shoot, run run run, puzzle puzzle puzzle. The encounters are all very similar so I can see why the metacritics and such have it as good but not amazing.

As for the sound design, I agree it's really good. They have a lot of the same problems as Dead Space in terms of their encounters and music. One thing I do like a lot is the subtle techno backdrop between some of the fight sequences. I am playing with headphones so I am probably catching a bit more of the nuances.

Yea, where it has it's leg up above Dead Space is that it's not as long so the formula doesn't get run into the ground as much. Playing with headphones as well (HD 595s running through my receiver).

imtehman

Banned
codecow said:

i'll never get this.

you can deduce any kind of game to this type of over simplification.

Roughly how long is episode
? Sorry for the dumb question, trying to plan out my tomorrow.

Spoilered episode number, just in case.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Odious Tea said:
Roughly how long is episode
? Sorry for the dumb question, trying to plan out my tomorrow.

Spoilered episode number, just in case.

About the same as the other 5.

derFeef

imtehman said:
i'll never get this.

Tell me about it. I was afraid of the repetition because almost every review pointed that out. But in the end, I am not seeing it. Alan Wake will stay in my mind because of the story and the atmosphere, the shooting was just the sugarcoating. Sure, enemy types are the same over and over again, but the combat is so much fun that it did not bother me.

Tokubetsu

Beat the game with only 2 kills shy of the Flare achievement. Fuck :lol What a game though. I loved the ending.
It's not a lake. It's an ocean.

Prine

Banned
imtehman said:
i'll never get this.

Yeah, here i am thinking you can apply the same to any game. RE4 for exmaple was all run, shoot, puzzle, run, puzzle, shoot, shoot shoot.

I agree that the game could use more puzzles, still doesnt stop it from being an amazing game.

AW2 should be perfect. I really cannot wait to see what Remedy have in store for us.

codecow said:

Puzzle Puzzle Puzzle? There are VERY little puzzles in this game, and most of them are extremely easy.

My favorite one is the one in the
mine

Beginning of chapter 4 reminded me again how awful some of the daylight parts are looking.
As soon as it gets a little darker, the game turns from hideous to fuckin' pretty. It's REALLY bad for the immersion imo. Not only that, but the game also ran like shit in the
clinic

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat it...found it to be an amazing experience overall, never really kept up with it and didn't know what to expect.

Final stats:

Kills with:
Revolver - 163
Flare Gun - 64
Shotgun - 138
Hunting Rifle - 91
Flashbangs - 95
Vehicle - 28
Indirect - 39

Killed:
Poltergeist objects - 99
Birds - 1000(Got this exactly, just got the achievement at the end)

Found/Used:
Batteries - 190
Manuscript - 87/106
Coffee - 87/100
Can Pyramids - 4/12
Chests - 26/30
Radio - 11/11
TV - 14/14
Signs - 20/25

Even if you beat the specific episode I wouldn't read what I say here unless you've beaten it...

Episode 1 -
I'd have to go back and replay it since I forgot how it all worked out, but it was pretty standard. The tutorial from the light felt weird at first but after you get farther in the game it makes sense. Was blindsided by how great the fog added to it all, and seeing the gas station in the distance and seeing how far you would have to go.

Episode 2 -
Things really heated up here, I didn't like Barry at first since he whined a lot but I grew to love him later in the game. I live in the middle of nowhere Western PA so I'm not far from foresty areas, I've been to my cousins camp quite a few times so I really dug the area here, once again I loved how you always got that feeling like you made a long trek when it came to seeing where mirror's peak was. The scenario working with the "kidnapper" was pretty cool, though he is an awful shot. Final bird standoff was crazy, and the cliffhanger with rose was an excellent place to end it.

Episode 3 -
So much stuff happens in this one, and it's long as hell--which I loved. The police being there and getting slaughtered by the darkness added a creepy element, you could really feel the darkness getting more powerful here since trees fall more frequently and possessed objects appear for the first time. Also, I fell in love with the flashbangs! This episode gave the greatest sense of journey simply due to length and going through a variety of areas. Finding out the kidnapper never actually had alice here was a great turn, and made you curious where the story would lead into episode 4.

Episode 4 -
God damn. This seems unanimously loved for obvious reasons, namely the stage standoff, but I loved every moment of this one. I started off thinking that he might be telling the truth, but the fact he had that on his nose meant alan punching him actually happened, and plenty of weird shit happened by that point. Actually seeing the kidnapper in the picture with the rest of the staff was a great revelation to me, and seeing the actual scene play out where alan left him in the room and seeing his smirk made me do the same, since I remember the page that described that scene and had no idea who it would've been referring to before hand. Leaving the place was crazy, and seeing the building itself look all possessed was one of the most jaw dropping scenes in the game to me graphically. The trek to the farm was also well done, I liked the truck driving to it and the whole scene with the guy from jail.

Then the farm itself, which made me love the Andersons. They had a ton of cool moments here, and the two songs from The Old Gods of Asgard are my favorite in the game.

Episode 5 -
I saw some posts that said the game lost steam at 5 and 6, but I thought 5 was just as good. Starts off with that asshole finally getting what was coming to him, and the whole first half of this episode was in a very good setting. It felt more open but it managed to still keep you down an obvious path, and it was completely different from the typical forest setting. After the cool helicopter standoff you get back into more standard stuff, but it was another good trek to the dam and seeing what would happen when you got there. The ending with Tom writing the clicker into the shoebox was unexpected and ended at a good spot.

Episode 6 -
This one, I can see why people didn't enjoy much. It's not "bad" but it's the most blah level in the game. It's missing the attention to detail the rest of the areas have, and felt like generic small chunks of forest that conveniently funneled off for a short on foot area, repeat multiple times. Near the end you see a lot of areas to enter that are completely barren and just uninteresting, so the repetition of the combat started to sink in here. I do like the whole ending scenario though, but I would've liked the ending spot to be a more consistent area.

Overall I'm in love with the game pretty much, and plan on trying out nightmare and collecting whatever I missed. I see the eh-quality character models, the weird lip synch, and some tearing(especially in daytime), but something about the lighting made it look photorealistic even in daytime, and the night sections just oozed atmosphere and felt like actual lived in areas and the forest itself never felt like a videogame level. It personally has a look that made my jaw drop more than any other game I can remember, even though I understand where it has shortcomings.
If they make a sequel somehow(I'm not sure what the DLC is actually going to be, haven't really kept up), something I would like to see is a greater variety of light sources. Instead of flashlight variations, using things like matches to either light torches on fire, or a lighter that could possibly be focused to be flare-like in nature but maybe used as a lethal weapon up close.

Chrange

Banned
A friend who's a real dudebro kind of gamers rented Alan Wake and I asked him about it when I talked to him earlier today. He wasn't too into it, but said it was picking up. Got off the phone with him now and he's partway through Chapter 3 and is now totally into the game. He said at one point he jumped so much from a 'fright' moment that he kicked the coffee table over :lol

Quick question. I know I missed some things in chapter 1/2. When you beat the game, does it indicate how many of whatnot you are specifically are missing from each part or should I have written down what I missed.

Tokubetsu

The_Inquisitor said:
Quick question. I know I missed some things in chapter 1/2. When you beat the game, does it indicate how many of whatnot you are specifically are missing from each part or should I have written down what I missed.

It doesn't but it still tracks your stats so you'll know how much your missing just not by chapter/episode.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So did anyone other then me notice that Barry is voiced by the same dude who did Vinny Gognitti in the Max Payne games? Was bugging me how familiar it sounded until it finally hit me and now I can't hear Barry talk without picturing him in a captain baseball bat boy outfit. :lol

anyone else wishing for a prequel as opposed episodic content?

I'd love to see game that takes place in bright falls, focusing on Thomas Zane, with all the destroyed landmarks intact, like the ghost town/mining area. The local where Cynthia wrote 'Thomas Zane' all over the place, which I think is a mental hospital. The story and narration following zane's style and pacing.

Remedy has developed an amazing universe, there's a ton of directions the story and series can go. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Larsen B

les papillons sexuels said:
anyone else wishing for a prequel as opposed episodic content?

The local where Cynthia wrote 'Thomas Zane' all over the place, which I think is a mental hospital.

Remedy has developed an amazing universe, there's a ton of directions the story and series can go. I can't wait to see what comes next.

This part was really good. Really felt like a films seeing the words in front of you and then slowly turning around to shine your torch on all the walls.

From the way people list episodes, it seems that Episode 4 is the most liked episode. I haven't finished episode 5 yet, but I already think it's better than Episode 4.

derFeef

Dax01 said:
From the way people list episodes, it seems that Episode 4 is the most liked episode. I haven't finished episode 5 yet, but I already think it's better than Episode 4.
Episode 5 is my favourite as well. Fine pacing, diverse locations, and the
teaming up with Sarah and Barry

mujun

Just completed Chapter 3. Really really good shit. Awesome mix of stuff to do, great story and each area is done really well with it's own individual feel.

Top Bottom