• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

mujun said:
Just completed Chapter 3. Really really good shit. Awesome mix of stuff to do, great story and each area is done really well with it's own individual feel.

I actually just finished chapter 3 last night too. But at around 130 in morning. Couldn't put the damn thing down and I had to wake up for work at 7.

What did you think of the twist that the cabin hasn't existed for 30 years? That got a holy shit out of me.

tzare

just into chapter 3, not as good as i wanted it to be :(

Daytime exploring is very limited so far, and night time is feeling a bit repetitive. Great atmosphere and audio though

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Getting ready to go into ep. 6 tonight after work. I'm in love with this game. The story is very well crafted.

Best part of the game for me was this in Episode 5. I turned on the radio and not in the mood of listening through the end, I moved ahead and engaged into kinda big fight. Just when that happens, radio plays "War" by Poets of the Fall. Overall effect of that scene was unforgettable.

Second best was
heavy metal stage fight.

Gotta say even though I'm just about to start episode 3 (I am waiting for the gf to continue) I have replayed the first episode twice and the second episode once and I still freaking love this game. It seems I notice something new everytime. A small detail, or something hidden off the path. Not really sure why people hate on episode 2 so much but considering I liked it ALOT, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the rest of the game is going to be one hell of a ride for me! :D

Just finished the game this morning. Really fun game with a cool atmosphere especially for a horror buff such as myself. It was the small things all through the game that I liked such as exploring the cabins and checking out all the details off the sides of the path. I feel like there was a little more exploration that could be done in ch.5 and 6 as compared with the beginning. Story was engaging even though my mind is boggled right now. Time to send it back to Gamefly and hope for RDR.

Suburban_Nooblet said:
Just finished the game this morning. Really fun game with a cool atmosphere especially for a horror buff such as myself. It was the small things all through the game that I liked such as exploring the cabins and checking out all the details off the sides of the path. I feel like there was a little more exploration that could be done in ch.5 and 6 as compared with the beginning. Story was engaging even though my mind is boggled right now. Time to send it back to Gamefly and hope for RDR.

Yeah I will be checking the story thread once I finish. I am now in Chapter 4 and slightly confused about a few things.

I love this game sooo much. I haven't been this genuinely creeped out in such a long time. I played till about 1:30am last night and I honestly had a hard time turning off the lights and walking down my hallway. The nighttime levels are gorgeous to. Ill take whatever resolution compromise they had to make to get a game with atmosphere like this.

One thing that is absolutely baffling to me is the HUD staying up the whole time. I thought for sure I would find a option to turn it off but I was shocked to not see one. The game would be even better if there were no on-screen indicators.

skyfinch

The scariest part of the game is when you're about to die and have little to no ammo left, you see a light source in the distance and try to run towards it (with Alan's impeccable endurance:lol), all the while being chased by a trio of Taken.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I love this game sooo much. I haven't been this genuinely creeped out in such a long time. I played till about 1:30am last night and I honestly had a hard time turning off the lights and walking down my hallway. The nighttime levels are gorgeous to. Ill take whatever resolution compromise they had to make to get a game with atmosphere like this.

We seem to have very similar feelings and experiences concerning Alan Wake! I looked out my windows one night and swear I saw a shadow move. :lol :lol

Haklong

BruceLeeRoy said:

One thing that is absolutely baffling to me is the HUD staying up the whole time. I thought for sure I would find a option to turn it off but I was shocked to not see one. The game would be even better if there were no on-screen indicators.

Only reason I don't mind the HUD indicator is that it helps me with my collectathon. Same with FFXIII, I know if I go there it might trigger something that wont allow me to go back (or make it more difficult to backtrack) so before I head in that direction I search all the surrounding areas and then proceed. I do agree however that it does get in the way and mires the experience some.

I finished Chapter 4 last night and can't wait to get out of the office and continue.

Finished up all the rest of the achievements on Saturday, just in time for Mario Whahoo! Pretty sad that it's completely over, want more content to play. Glad there are 2 new episodes coming out via DLC down the road :) Watched the 6 webisodes as well.

BTW, Shake, it looks like the DLC is going to be Alan after all, not some side character. If you select "Downloadable Content" from the main menu, it has a very brief synopsis for both episodes. July isn't too long to wait for the first of the episodes...I guess.

Since everyone likes rating the episodes so much, I'll throw my hat in. I suppose I'd order them like this: 4>5>3>2>1>6

In any case, loved the game. The intensity was fantastic, really enjoyed Alan and his dialogue, I think a few of us on GAF here have had Alan say something we were thinking in our head :) Barry is a fantastic comic relief and lolololol concerning him in Episode 5, you'll know it when you see it :) Really enjoyed the story, thought is was quite original for a video game. Some fantastic locations in the game and the pacing was great. Episodes really built up and progressively got better. Now I should check out the plot spoiler thread.

SquallASF said:
Finished up all the rest of the achievements on Saturday, just in time for Mario Whahoo! Pretty sad that it's completely over, want more content to play. Glad there are 2 new episodes coming out via DLC down the road :) Watched the 6 webisodes as well.

BTW, Shake, it looks like the DLC is going to be Alan after all, not some side character. If you select "Downloadable Content" from the main menu, it has a very brief synopsis for both episodes. July isn't too long to wait for the first of the episodes...I guess.

Since everyone likes rating the episodes so much, I'll throw my hat in. I suppose I'd order them like this: 4>5>3>2>1>6

In any case, loved the game. The intensity was fantastic, really enjoyed Alan and his dialogue, I think a few of us on GAF here have had Alan say something we were thinking in our head :) Barry is a fantastic comic relief and lolololol concerning him in Episode 5, you'll know it when you see it :) Really enjoyed the story, thought is was quite original for a video game. Some fantastic locations in the game and the pacing was great. Episodes really built up and progressively got better. Now I should check out the plot spoiler thread.

I think it's clever how they have episodes 2 months down the road. It's causing me to hold onto my copy instead of sell it off when I finish. I have no problem with this as long as new copies get the new content free down the road.

Haklong said:
Only reason I don't mind the HUD indicator is that it helps me with my collectathon. Same with FFXIII, I know if I go there it might trigger something that wont allow me to go back (or make it more difficult to backtrack) so before I head in that direction I search all the surrounding areas and then proceed. I do agree however that it does get in the way and mires the experience some.

I finished Chapter 4 last night and can't wait to get out of the office and continue.

lol I was mentioning to a friend that I don't even notice the HUD when I play, at all but your post really brings it out for me. I had 2? maybe 3 spots in the game where I was trying to find the dead end first for collectables on my first run but I chose incorrectly and ended up progressing and not able to go back. The HUD was so absent for me that I didn't even consider I could have used the compass to determine if I was heading towards the dead end or the progression path haha I guess some people just need to get absorbed into the game more.

Chapter 5 is awesome, enjoy :)

The_Inquisitor said:
I think it's clever how they have episodes 2 months down the road. It's causing me to hold onto my copy instead of sell it off when I finish. I have no problem with this as long as new copies get the new content free down the road.

Yeah, glad that the first of the two comes out so soon after the main release. There's no date slated for the second one yet but hopefully there will be by the time the first one comes out.

Tonza

Just got the game today and played some.

Im still in episode 1 but I think Im close to the end of it.

Really loving the game. The stuff Remedy did for creating the uneasy feeling in forest is amazing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How are you supposed to kill enemies once you run out of ammo? I'm halfway through chapter 2, and I'm totally out of ammo, and there are like 5 guys chasing me around.

Kifimbo

FlyinJ said:
How are you supposed to kill enemies once you run out of ammo? I'm halfway through chapter 2, and I'm totally out of ammo, and there are like 5 guys chasing me around.

Run. And dodge. To the next light.

JimboJones

I was having so much fun driving the car around on chapter 2, then it just died and I randomly popped out and was standing on the car bonnet :/, then I got killed.

Bought the game this morning, started Episode 2, it's really good so far, you can see the incredible high product values.

I LOVE the TV shows, I just watched Night Falls, it was amazing!

FlyinJ said:

I never once ran out of ammo, actually I had an over abundance of it. I was playing on normal though, not sure about the other difficulties.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Did anyone find the Gunless Wonder Achievement extremely annoying.

I did it on normal (I'm not sure how anyone would achieve that doing it on anything higher than that) but it was extremely tense for me in particular because, at one point, I had fired off my shotgun by accident and so I reloaded to the last checkpoint. I was hoping that it wouldn't count as firing the gun if I reloaded to my last checkpoint and luckily I was right.

Ridley327

Haven't chimed in on this game yet, but I just got done with episode 5 (and played the intro for episode 6) and I'm having a ball with it. It's very well crafted, despite the dodge maneuver being mapped for maximum unintuitiveness.

Cardigan

Ridley327 said:
Haven't chimed in on this game yet, but I just got done with episode 5 (and played the intro for episode 6) and I'm having a ball with it. It's very well crafted, despite the dodge maneuver being mapped for maximum unintuitiveness.
you can change control schemes

Just finished it. Really, really awesome game overall. I, like the rest of you, am very confused by the ending. I think, though that
Alan sacrifices himself in the end to save Alice.

The game kinda dragged a bit in chapter six, but the very last part of the game was very cool.

Shrinnan said:
Did anyone find the Gunless Wonder Achievement extremely annoying.

I did it on normal (I'm not sure how anyone would achieve that doing it on anything higher than that) but it was extremely tense for me in particular because, at one point, I had fired off my shotgun by accident and so I reloaded to the last checkpoint. I was hoping that it wouldn't count as firing the gun if I reloaded to my last checkpoint and luckily I was right.

I did it on my first run (Hard Mode) and didn't have any issues with accidentally shooting. I just strategically used flash bangs in the most desperate of moments if I really didn't think I could reach the next source of light, otherwise I just ran for the light. Defininately had a few intense moments because I was reluctant to use the flash bangs not knowing how many I would get throughout the level but I relieved myself with the thought that I would be able to shoot the bastards on my nightmare run.

Then again, I was also crazy enough to get the rest of the collectables on my nightmare run instead of trying out normal haha Kind of ironic that I got that rock/roll achievement on Nightmare instead of Hard Mode, go figure.

Dax01 said:
Just finished it. Really, really awesome game overall. I, like the rest of you, am very confused by the ending. I think, though that
Alan sacrifices himself in the end to save Alice.

The game kinda dragged a bit in chapter six, but the very last part of the game was very cool.

Check out the plot discussion thread, it will most likely shed some light on some of your questions. It will ultimately take the DLC to answer all of them, however.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395534

Haklong said:

That's a legitimate point. I just wish we had the option of turning it off for our first play through.

mujun

The_Inquisitor said:
I actually just finished chapter 3 last night too. But at around 130 in morning. Couldn't put the damn thing down and I had to wake up for work at 7.

What did you think of the twist that the cabin hasn't existed for 30 years? That got a holy shit out of me.

Yeah, I liked that :D

I'm really intrigued as to how it's all going to come together and play out.

jjasper

Just beat it. Wasn't really a fan of how the story ended up but really enjoyed it up until the end of chapter 5. Hopefully the DLC ties everything together.

skyfinch

So I completed the game and now going back to try and get all the manuscripts and coffee thermos', but noticed that the ones I've already picked up still show up. It's next to impossible to know which ones I haven't picked up from my first walk through. :p

Shrennin

Apparently the Avatar awards for Alan Wake can be unlocked while playing the Limited Edition Collector's disk (the jacket - male and female) and the commentary says that if I install it then I will unlock a limited edition Avatar award (the only ones available are the jackets).

Well, I installed it and the awards are still locked. Is this glitched or are they only unlockable through the pre-order card I should have tried to pick up when I pre-ordered and picked up the game?

Shrinnan said:
Apparently the Avatar awards for Alan Wake can be unlocked while playing the Limited Edition Collector's disk (the jacket - male and female) and the commentary says that if I install it then I will unlock a limited edition Avatar award (the only ones available are the jackets).

Well, I installed it and the awards are still locked. Is this glitched or are they only unlockable through the pre-order card I should have tried to pick up when I pre-ordered and picked up the game?

You need to go into the options, hit enable commentary, as soon as you do and back out award unlocked! :D

Shrennin

slasher_thrasher21 said:
You need to go into the options, hit enable commentary, as soon as you do and back out award unlocked! :D

Really? Awesome. Thanks.

Okay. I gotta get all the coffee thermals, all the manuscripts, all the radios and TVs, and all the hidden chests.

Not sure if I should go after all of 'em in one go.:lol

Shrennin

Dax01 said:
Okay. I gotta get all the coffee thermals, all the manuscripts, all the radios and TVs, and all the hidden chests.

Not sure if I should go after all of 'em in one go.:lol

It's possible - as long as you don't plan on doing any other extra stuff like going after the achievements that make you play the game a certain way (Gunless Wonder made me miss a lot of stuff in Episode 6 but I did manage to find all the TV shows). I would definitely recommend doing it on normal though.

EDIT: Just unlocked my Avatar awards. YES!

derFeef

I have gone through Episode 3 on nightmare today and the game tricked me a bit. I will use spoiler tags as this gives away location and encounters, so do not unhide if you have not played EP3 yet.

At my first playthrough the bulldozer got stuck on a barrel in the middle of the field. It kept rewinding, pushing forward, rewinding,... but it could not set itsef free. I was confident that it was intentional because there were so much taken around as well. So - the bulldozer was stuck on that barrel, screeching and growling and the taken swarmed me. I touched the bulldozer once and got hit, so it really felt like a little stage. Like "watch your back as you back up"

Now today on nightmare when the game showed the little cinematic with the bulldozer I thought "Let´s move forward and collect the items there so I can be prepared for the taken" Okay, I walked to the items and took them. I turned around and BAM! There was this shivering huge bulldozer, right into my face. It lived, it was free and not stuck like last time. Holy shit!

I jumped so hard that I needed to pause the game. It took me some seconds because I was under shock.... a bit. :D

BruceLeeRoy said:

You would think that a toggle to remove the HUD could be applied with a patch. That's how I plan to replay the game in Nightmare mode (except for the fact that the patch will never happen).

Shrennin

Dax01 said:
Got a question
So how do Alan and Alice arrive at BLC at the beginning of the game when it sank over 30 years prior?

This is my guess, perhaps someone else can better explain it:

I think The Dark Presence wanted Wake (or any writer) to set foot in the BLC and to write a story that would make TDP free. Like I said, later when Wake doesn't do what TDP tried to get him to do, it is mentioned that it is older than Wake's first story and implied that it can find another writer. I also think Zane wrote about Wake coming to the BLC (or perhaps that was Wake himself who wrote it). It gets muddier there, but it seems like TDP may have been able to control the appearance of the cabin...? I know Wake was eventually able to himself and Zane probably was as well. It doesn't make sense that Zane would be in control of the BLC appearing as Jagger was the one who gave Wake the keys so it was definitely TDP's doing.

thetechkid said:
Gonna do episode 6 tonight, but after I finish the game and start a new one will I lose all the coffee, radio, and Tv stats?

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you lose the stats. The problem is that the ones you previously picked up are apparently still obtainable in the game even though you already got them so there's no real way of knowing which ones you missed in your previous play through. I got all the TV shows so I'm not going to worry about getting them and just do everything I collected over (even though I don't think my stats are technically erased but the only sure way to do it is to try to recollect all of them).

Shrennin

Captain N said:
when you start out the game..Alan says something like..i could barely walk..and you can start sprinting..odd.

That was in
the Nightmare sequence and dreams/nightmares don't have to make sense (as the game puts it)
so it gets itself out of that oddity. :D

Tokubetsu

Shrinnan said:
This is my guess, perhaps someone else can better explain it:

I think The Dark Presence wanted Wake (or any writer) to set foot in the BLC and to write a story that would make TDP free. Like I said, later when Wake doesn't do what TDP tried to get him to do, it is mentioned that it is older than Wake's first story and implied that it can find another writer. I also think Zane wrote about Wake coming to the BLC (or perhaps that was Wake himself who wrote it). It gets muddier there, but it seems like TDP may have been able to control the appearance of the cabin...? I know Wake was eventually able to himself and Zane probably was as well. It doesn't make sense that Zane would be in control of the BLC appearing as Jagger was the one who gave Wake the keys so it was definitely TDP's doing.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you lose the stats. The problem is that the ones you previously picked up are apparently still obtainable in the game even though you already got them so there's no real way of knowing which ones you missed in your previous play through. I got all the TV shows so I'm not going to worry about getting them and just do everything I collected over (even though I don't think my stats are technically erased but the only sure way to do it is to try to recollect all of them).

It can, thats what the whole diner scene was for. The darkness touched stucky and locked him in the bathroom so TDP/Barbara could give Alan the key to diver's isle and the cabin. It's implied that the TDP woke up as soon as Alan made it to Bright Falls. It can sense creators.

Captain N

Shrinnan said:
That was in
the Nightmare sequence and dreams/nightmares don't have to make sense (as the game puts it)
so it gets itself out of that oddity. :D

I can understand that, but that's the very first thing that happens in the game and it sorta took me out of it.

Top Bottom