• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

imtehman

Banned
i can understand getting completely owned by the taken though, on hard those guys are relentless and sometimes one hit with full health turns to death when they mob on you

mittelos

Just finished Episode 2. So far I think hard is just right. Love the soundtrack. Haven't checked, but I'm sure I missed some collectibles towards the end of 2. There were a couple of spots where I was just running for my life! Love Barry, he really helps ease the tension.

I just got the piece of manuscript where
Barry's last thoughts. Not getting her to tell him to take off the ring. Damn that was depressing! :lol :lol I think I missed a set of cans though, dammit.

Danielsan

Finished the game yesterday.
I played it on hard and I'm happy that I did.
Ultimately a great experience but I do think that the pacing has issues.
I like the combat system, it's just too bad there is little to no variety within it.
I kinda got burned out on the combat around episode 5.

Graphically the game was pretty fantastic. My biggest complaints are the character models and (oddly enough) the massive screen-tearing when in confined places such as the
cauldron
lodge or the police station.
There are also a ton of crappy textures but then you realize the scope of the game world and how impressive it all looks despite that immense scope.

The story was definitely interesting and well told. Loved Barry and Sarah.
The final cut scene was a bit too vague for my tastes though.

All in all a fantastic game and definitely something I will return to at some point.
That said, I don't feel that this game is GOTY material.

The_Inquisitor said:
I just got the piece of manuscript where
Barry's last thoughts. Not getting her to tell him to take off the ring. Damn that was depressing! :lol :lol I think I missed a set of cans though, dammit.
Wrong character, I'm pretty sure. That was
Rusty

Man, Nightmare's a fucking...nightmare. It takes so much light energy and shots to do the job on the average Taken compared to normal diff. Even constantly looking for environmental stuff, like the explosive canisters strewn about, barely shifts the odds. Not sure I can hack it. :lol

Shrinnan said:
Just wanted to comment that Episode 4 is awesome.

The
Anderson Brothers
are awesome!

This game probably has the best soundtrack of any game I can think of in recent memory.
Until SMG2.

MightyHedgehog said:
Wrong character, I'm pretty sure. That was
Rusty

Man, Nightmare's a fucking...nightmare. It takes so much light energy and shots to do the job on the average Taken compared to normal diff. Even constantly looking for environmental stuff, like the explosive canisters strewn about, barely shifts the odds. Not sure I can hack it. :lol

Yeah thats what I meant. My bad!

Edit: HOLY FUCK!
THEY CAN COME AFTER YOU WHEN YOU ARE READING SIGNS?! I literally said holy fuck out loud at 242 in the morning

Uncle

What the hell? How do I unlock the avatar stuff? It just says "Play the Limited Collector's Edition Bonus Disc", even though I have. Do I have to watch everything on it or something?

Uncle said:
What the hell? How do I unlock the avatar stuff? It just says "Play the Limited Collector's Edition Bonus Disc", even though I have. Do I have to watch everything on it or something?

Install the dev commentary and activate it from the games options menu, the avatar item will unlock.

:)

mujun

imtehman said:
how frustrating can it be? it autosaves every 5 minutes.

I don't actually enjoy the individual encounters enough to want to have to do them over 3 or 4 times. Add to that that every time you go back to a check point you have to pick every item/collectible up again...

This is the type of game where I just want to enjoy the story and the atmosphere, not play individual parts over and over till I'm an expert at it.

Personally, I think normal difficulty was a good sweet spot. You get the thrill of danger and death, but you can still make narrow escapes with an occasional beatdown. Seemed pretty balanced for the effect of thriller action, IMO. If you're not far, I think restarting on normal would be a good idea. Plus, it's far more fun to explore the periphery and find all of the collectibles without losing the tension. Moving off of the path in the harder difficulty levels can be brutal.

Playing halfway through the second chapter... good but not great up till now imo.
Great atmosphere for sure, but graphics are a mixed bag and playing mechanics are a bit unpolished.

mujun

MightyHedgehog said:
Personally, I think normal difficulty was a good sweet spot. You get the thrill of danger and death, but you can still make narrow escapes with an occasional beatdown. Seemed pretty balanced for the effect of thriller action, IMO. If you're not far, I think restarting on normal would be a good idea. Plus, it's far more fun to explore the periphery and find all of the collectibles without losing the tension. Moving off of the path in the harder difficulty levels can be brutal.

Yeah, you might be right about restarting but I just finished chapter 3 and this game's moved from very good to awesome on my personal review scale :D

I'm finding more willingness to persevere with difficult spots and even enjoy the "brutality" of trying to balance going off the beaten path with keeping my ass alive.

So many great moments in Chapter 3 and the story is just plain awesome, something rare for a video game (at least amongst the stuff I've played in the last few years).

Wait, there are avatar items if I install the commentary? Awesome.

Can't wait till it gets dark outside, so I can play this again :D
Also I'm hungover, this should make it even more scary xD

MightyHedgehog said:

Agreed, normal seems fine to me.

ACE 1991 said:
This, along with a nice pair of headphones make this game incredibly intense. Also, for those of you just buying the game don't hesitate to start the game on hard, it really increases the overall sense of dread.

Just finished episode two and I'm curious what the song was at the end? I really liked it.
With the exception of Episode 6, I played all of this game after sundown, in a dark room with headphones on.

For Episode 6, I just couldn't wait until nightfall, so I hung sheets over the windows to block out any light. :lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, just finished the game. It was an enjoyable rental, but one that I probably won't remember this time next year. Nice lighting effects and decent writing. Overly repetitive gameplay and some silly design choices weighed it down for me, personally.

Dax01 said:
The rock and roll stage scene in Episode 4
...my favorite part of the game so far.
Probably the best individual set-piece in the game.

It's just a shame
Left 4 Dead 2 did the same thing six months ago.

Sordid

I hope this has sold enough for Microsoft to green-light a sequel, I keep hearing sales are disappointing. Absolutely awesome game imo, I got so immersed playing in the dark with my surround sound up high!

My collectathon run came to a stop when the radio and dodging achievements glitched for me though, Remedy are looking into it but the advice is to delete my save and start again :*(

Jaffaboy

Just got the game today! Got a pre-order bonus card too with avatar t-shirts and a theme. I have no need for the Female avatar t-shirt code so here goes :D

RY8W4-YWVTC-XDHHQ-P7T4X-XG7F8

Jaffaboy said:
Just got the game today! Got a pre-order bonus card too with avatar t-shirts and a theme. I have no need for the Female avatar t-shirt code so here goes :D

RY8W4-YWVTC-XDHHQ-P7T4X-XG7F8

Redeemed.

Thanks so much, quite surprised that it was still available nearly 2hrs later. :D

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I apparently didn't get the pre-order card that came with the Avatar T-Shirt and the theme. I think my Gamestop said they couldn't promise me it, but I forgot to ask them about it when I picked up the CE. I wish I had remembered now because the game is a lot more awesome than I anticipated.

Sordid said:
I hope this has sold enough for Microsoft to green-light a sequel, I keep hearing sales are disappointing. Absolutely awesome game imo, I got so immersed playing in the dark with my surround sound up high!

I really hope there is a sequel. Microsoft can't expect too much because their marketing for it has been abysmal at best compared to the marketing they do for other games. It all depends on how much money they put into the game (I know Remedy put a lot of their own money into it) and how much they make from the game in the long run.

REV 09

just finished the game earlier today. i absolutely loved it. I'm not sure why the reviews underrated it. The combat, atmosphere, narration, and visuals were all top notch. My only complaints were that the daytime sections didn't look quite as good as the rest of the game, and the driving portions were just ok. I even liked the ending.

Can't wait for the next 2 episodes.

Prine

Banned
I think word of mouth is going to carry this game. I got 2 of my friends interested only by showing them Brightfalls prequel (they're buying it as soon as their exams are over).

I think signs so far have suggested strong sales, but nothing spectacular. Hope that's enough. One thing i can say with absolute confidence is that AW is superior to Max Payne games. Im happy to see good amount of mentions in the GOTY thread.

Veelk

Banned
Why does the OST have only 10 songs? Sorry if this has already been answered, but there are so many great tracks missing, like Children of the Elder God. Where can I get the full OST?

REV 09

Prine said:
I think word of mouth is going to carry this game. I got 2 of my friends interested only by showing them Brightfalls prequel (they're buying it as soon as their exams are over).

I think signs so far have suggested strong sales, but nothing spectacular. Hope that's enough. One thing i can say with absolute confidence is that AW is superior to Max Payne games. Im happy to see good amount of mentions in the GOTY thread.
it honestly deserves those GOTY mentions. It's my second favorite this year behind Mass Effect 2. It really took me by surprise at how good it actually was. I even found the combat very satisfying.

imtehman

Banned
REV 09 said:
just finished the game earlier today. i absolutely loved it. I'm not sure why the reviews underrated it. The combat, atmosphere, narration, and visuals were all top notch. My only complaints were that the daytime sections didn't look quite as good as the rest of the game, and the driving portions were just ok. I even liked the ending.

Can't wait for the next 2 episodes.

i can see a lot of reaqsons, i'm sure the game got marked off a couple points for having no online.

there are probably reviewers out there who played the game in the office in thier cubicle during the day with people walking by the aisles ruining any chance of immersion.

its not a unsurprising when marketing this game they had people go to a a haunted landmark and let them play by themselves.

Finally, its a genre where it doesn't appeal to the masses, do horror movies do as well in the box office as superhero action movies?

Prine said:
Haven't mentioned it in that thread, but it's my current GOTY too, if I had to name one.

I think it's hard to tell if Alan Wake is selling well. a), we have no idea what the budget was, but it must have been quite a bit with over 5 years of development. b), MGS might have extra high standards for reviews and sales (which is reasonable for a console publisher).

It's still around #6 at Amazon.com, and the LE is around #90. SMG2, RDR, and a few others are above it. That doesn't sound too bad....

Shrennin

Generic said:
Why does the OST have only 10 songs? Sorry if this has already been answered, but there are so many great tracks missing, like Children of the Elder God. Where can I get the full OST?

The Children of the Elder God can be accessed through the playback feature from the Extras option in the main menu of the original game. In fact, all the songs in the game can be accessed that way (along with the cinematics, manuscripts, and radios).

I'm starting to think this may be a potential candidate for my GotY. I have to beat it first, but both the gameplay and story compliment each other so well. Everything in the game is really a compliment to everything else (except the
TV in Hartman's house where you see various different commercials - that was really out of place.
)

Those spoilers are from Episode 4 - you don't have to run into it so still be wary if you're afraid you didn't explore everything in that episode.

wRATH2x

Banned
I'm literally kicking myself right now.

I could have gotten the limited edition but in the end opted for the standard edition, and I just realized the limited edition has the soundtrack :facepalm

Shrennin

wRATH2x said:
I could have gotten the limited edition but in the end opted for the standard edition, and I just realized the limited edition has the soundtrack :facepalm

It's not the full OST. I got the limited edition and I found The Alan Wake Files an awesome read. There's a lot more depth to the game, I think, if you read that (I read it before I played the game).

Rad-

I'm surprised there hasn't been almost any marketing for this. I remember MS saying they would give this title a movie level marketing campaign. Maybe they expected huge review scores or something? Dunno but it's weird.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Rad- said:
I'm surprised there hasn't been almost any marketing for this. I remember MS saying they would give this title a movie level marketing campaign. Maybe they expected huge review scores or something? Dunno but it's weird.

Yea such a shame, Watch it not even chart on NPD which would truly be messed up.

wRATH2x said:
I'm literally kicking myself right now.

Its still in stock like everywhere.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man I'm very excited to play this, I'm waiting until next weekend so I can spend some time with RDR but I have a good feeling about Alan.

So, one question. Does anyone actually find the game scary or is it just tense and atmospheric?

Sordid

FateBreaker said:
where/who?

Apparently it sold around 88k across Europe in it's first week (well, 2(?) days) which doesn't seem too bad actually but it isn't stellar either. I can't remember the site though :*(

I'll echo the sentiments about the marketing, I thought there would've been a big marketing campaign in the UK after Heavy Rain sold so well but I haven't seen anything so far.

Uncle

The LCE is outstanding. A cool box that fits the theme (not just "hey look, it's made out of metal"), the documentaries and trailers etc are fairly standard, but then the commentary, the soundtrack and the book take it to another level...

wRATH2x

Banned
Shrinnan said:
It's not the full OST. I got the limited edition and I found The Alan Wake Files an awesome read. There's a lot more depth to the game, I think, if you read that (I read it before I played the game).
Oh that sounds cool.
Metalic Sand said:
Its still in stock like everywhere.
Too bad all the money I had at the time was spent and lent.

Top Bottom