• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

delume

'The Signal' just confirmed to me that I will happily buy 'The Writer' when it is released. It's so simple but I believe the 'previously on Alan Wake' sections are worth their weight in gold when it comes to DLC. Watching that was enough to get me right back into it.

Wizpig

delume said:
'The Signal' just confirmed to me that I will happily buy 'The Writer' when it is released. It's so simple but I believe the 'previously on Alan Wake' sections are worth their weight in gold when it comes to DLC. Watching that was enough to get me right back into it.
Same here, and it's one of the actual game's flaws.
After you finish a chapter you have to watch "previously on Alan Wake" as soon as the new chapter starts, not when you play the game again - say - the next day.

Minamu

1250 points! :D Sweet. 4th time's the charm in my case. Played my third time too risky so I died on the final boss :lol I was a bit upset after that :'(

gdt

Just finished The Signal, gimme gimme gimme The Writer!

Just a PERFECT example of DLC, totally flipping the gameplay on it's head. The stuff introduced here could never have fit into the main game's narrative, so I'm super pumped to see what they play around with in the next DLC.

Haklong

Finished The Signal the day it came out. Very well done. Anyone catch the Max Payne 2 reference in the first bathroom stall?

gdt

Haklong said:
Finished The Signal the day it came out. Very well done. Anyone catch the Max Payne 2 reference in the first bathroom stall?

I don't remember it...but I remember saying "Ha, a MP2 reference!" :lol .

skyfinch

Finished the main game on nightmare without any problems. 3rd go around at the DLC and still can't get the "no reloading chapter" achievement......on normal! :lol

Doodis

Anyone care to spoiler tag a synopsis of The Signal? Yes, I'm lame and rented the game. I won't be buying the DLC, but I'm interested in where the story goes. Don't hate.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I hope to god this gets a sequel. People seem to be gloomy about its fate, but is 600k sales really that bad nowadays? I'm sure they expected higher sales, but I hope Remedy gets the chance for another go.

I'm pumped for the next DLC... but also kind of worried.

The Signal should be the end of the gameplay/setting. At least the end of the specific way it is right now. It was a great episode, and some of the reality-bendy stuff makes it more interesting than it had been, but it's now been played out.

Even story-wise, they've set themselves up to go in a new direction with the ep's ending... really hope they follow through.

I LOVE Remedy (and geeked the out at the mirror), but if the second episode comes and it's back to running and gunning with the same Taken in the same forests, I'm done.

Jinjo

Doodis said:
Anyone care to spoiler tag a synopsis of The Signal? Yes, I'm lame and rented the game. I won't be buying the DLC, but I'm interested in where the story goes. Don't hate.

This is how I got it, but it's been about a week since I've played it. Spoilers offcourse.

Alan basicly went crazy because of the darkness. He is trapped in his own mind and instead of fighting against the darkness, Alan is now fighting against his own mind. Tom Zane is there to make him aware that he is falling ever deeper into his mind and to guide him out there. That's "The Signal". The Signal ends with Alan realising what is going on except now he has to find a way out. The ending cutscene cuts to Alan waking up where Dr. Hartmann is saying everything is okay and then the scene zooms out of Alan's eyes where you see him lying on the floor in the cabin on the lake, going crazy.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wizpig said:
Just finished the game again in Nightmare mode with all the pages.

What a game!

Do the Nightmare pages actually add something storywise? Like extra clues to some of the more puzzling parts of the game?

Wizpig

Nils said:
Do the Nightmare pages actually add something storywise? Like extra clues to some of the more puzzling parts of the game?
Yes, No, maybe.

But i guess the honest answer is no.
I mean, some of them definitely add something... little details though.
I liked reading those a lot.
These pages are definitely interesting, except for the final 4-5 in my opinion.

I think the most interesting pages in the game are 2 that you can also find in normal/hard mode,
the 2 pages that are read by a different male voice

Wizpig

Here's the achievements i still have to unlock

83dd860c2d71334de9123636913ba038.png

One of these I'll unlock later today (heck, maybe 2) but other than that I miss 5 thermoses and i'm NEVER going to find them.
Maybe when the second DLC comes out and i'll pick up the game again i'll give it a shot but...

Ramirez

Why do games that insist on having something like 100 collectibles not tell you how many you've found in each level? So stupid.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wizpig said:
Yes, No, maybe.

But i guess the honest answer is no.
I mean, some of them definitely add something... little details though.
I liked reading those a lot.
These pages are definitely interesting, except for the final 4-5 in my opinion.

I think the most interesting pages in the game are 2 that you can also find in normal/hard mode,
the 2 pages that are read by a different male voice

Aren't those from the final Alex Casey book? I figured they were just a cool easter egg pertaining to Max Payne, but their existence in Bright Falls could have some implications now that I think of it

Krakatoa

Ramirez said:
Why do games that insist on having something like 100 collectibles not tell you how many you've found in each level? So stupid.

Maybe for replay value? Also in this instance it encourages the player to explore away from the regular path.

Krakatoa said:
Maybe for replay value? Also in this instance it encourages the player to explore away from the regular path.
Collectibles obviously add replay value. It's the fact that you have no idea what chapter the missing ones are in that is incredibly irritating.

Wizpig

Krakatoa said:
No, Ramirez is right.
For the pages you can see WHERE and how many you missed.
For the thermoses... nope... you have to replay the whole game.

@Nils: Basically, those 2 pages could mean one thing:
Max Payne is dead. Max Payne 3 didn't get a "consensus" from Remedy, the true creators of the series.
I don't think this is reading too much into it: why else would they describe the death of Max Payne? it's because they don't care for Rockstar's Max Payne 3.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wizpig said:
No, Ramirez is right.
For the pages you can see WHERE and how many you missed.
For the thermoses... nope... you have to replay the whole game.

@Nils: Basically, those 2 pages could mean one thing:
Max Payne is dead. Max Payne 3 didn't get a "consensus" from Remedy, the true creators of the series.
I don't think this is reading too much into it: why else would they describe the death of Max Payne? it's because they don't care for Rockstar's Max Payne 3.

That's how I interpreted it as well, pretty bitchy but aptly so I guess. They certainly have the right to make such a judgment.

Just finished The Signal. Overall, it's nothing more than the 7th episode of Alan Wake season 1. I liked it, definitely not the best episode, and the story doesn't progress as much as I had hoped, but still it's nice to have some kind of sequel (I feared this would be a prequel, alternative episode or whatever). New gameplay addition (with the words) was nice.

Anyway, here are my wishes to make a better sequel :

-Improve the feeling of immersion. Characters should wear different clothes in the flashbacks, Alan should be able to open doors properly, jump over stuff, etc. Also, facial models.
-Collectibles. Remove the useless and dull collectibles and make more things like the radio, tv show, etc. This would be also help to improve the global immersion.
-Daylights segments with exploration, dialogs, puzzles. No need to have an open world game, as the scale and level-design is just perfect in the first game imo.
-Improved combats. Basically, more weapons and enemies types should do it.

I still loved the game BTW, but playing it again reminded me of what should be fixed for the sequel, if it ever happens :(

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my code, but as a gaffer was kind enough to provide one a few days ago I have no use for it. If anyone still hasn't gotten one or borrowed the game from a friend or something pm me.

Carnby

MightyHedgehog said:
Why not just hook up a ethernet cable to download the episode and then unhook afterward? It's an offline game, after all.

episodes can not be played if you are not signed in to xbox live. lame.

Feindflug

"Alan Wake: Remedy Looks Back" Interview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-09-alan-wake-remedy-looks-back-interview

Eurogamer: Has Microsoft been in touch about doing a sequel?

Oskari Häkkinen: For both our publisher Microsoft and for Remedy, we're still in a launch phase. The game just came out. We are still monitoring the main game.

We're working hard on the DLC. We just put out the first DLC, The Signal, and The Writer is coming up. We're working full steam ahead here. We're a team of around about 50 people. We've still got plenty to do.

Being in this launch phase at the moment, we haven't had a chance to get out to Redmond, Microsoft Game Studios, and discuss anything further of how we move on. But I don't see any reason why we wouldn't continue with Microsoft with a full-blown sequel for Alan Wake.

We definitely want to do it. We have great ideas for it. I can see Mikko here twiddling his thumbs with his ideas for Alan Wake 2.

There's certainly a want, and that want is I believe from both sides. Right now I can't confirm anything.

Eurogamer: Would Alan Wake 2 have to be an Xbox exclusive or could you go multiplatform?

Oskari Häkkinen: With Microsoft Game Studios it's Xbox exclusive, or it's Xbox and PC version.

Please don't put that Alan Wake 2 is going to come out on PC, because that might not be true. Either is a possibility.

Remedy wants to make a sequel but what about MS? I guess we'll hear more about this in X10 or TGS.

leng jai said:
Alan Wake is becoming one of those games where the more I play the more I dislike it.
Oddly enough it was the complete opposite for me. I really didn't like it to start with, but then I got a handle on how you're supposed to play and it suddenly all made sense.

(After a few more playthroughs the final three chapters are still my favourites)

-viper-

Banned
oh my gawd this game is so boring.

i'm on the second chapter and i cannot be arsed to play this game anymore. does it get better or is it still as repetitive as ever? it feels like im playing the game in the same level... over and over again.

-viper- said:

i'm on the second chapter and i cannot be arsed to play this game anymore. does it get better or is it still as repetitive as ever? it feels like im playing the game in the same level... over and over again.
Yes. Most people seem to agree that it picks up right after where you are pretty much. It definitely gets better.

I didn't mind the first two episodes but I think the last half is the best part of the game. It's what made me actually buy my own copy instead of just continue borrowing from a friend.

-viper- said:

Then you're gonna love chapter 3. :lol
I suggest you take a break from AW for a while and come back to it much later. I said it once and I'll say it again, I never wanna see another forest or anything that slightly resembles one in the upcoming sequels.

I still haven't played much of the signal but I just got back from my week in the Northwest.

went to the Oh Deer Diner and Barbera Jagger didn't get me.

Shurs

-viper- said:

Quit now, save yourself the time. It stays pretty much the same the whole way through.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jeff Stephen said:
Then you're gonna love chapter 3. :lol
I suggest you take a break from AW for a while and come back to it much later. I said it once and I'll say it again, I never wanna see another forest or anything that slightly resembles one in the upcoming sequels.

Good to hear. I just finished Chapter 2 and I am a bit bored so far. I actually looked at the live-action webisodes before starting and I loved it. Then now I started playing and I wish it was as interesting as those webisodes. I think the issue is the combat mechanic that I don't like. It is so imprecise. I guess I am used to FPS games so I expect that kind of precision.

I am enjoying the game though. Just a bit clunky in the combat.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
dskillzhtown said:
Good to hear. I just finished Chapter 2 and I am a bit bored so far. I actually looked at the live-action webisodes before starting and I loved it. Then now I started playing and I wish it was as interesting as those webisodes. I think the issue is the combat mechanic that I don't like. It is so imprecise. I guess I am used to FPS games so I expect that kind of precision.

I am enjoying the game though. Just a bit clunky in the combat.

You're probably doing the same thing I did. Head shots don't mean anything. Aim for center mass, suddenly the whole game feels a lot easier. There's also a hefty amount of auto-aim, so don't be afraid to dodge, whip the camera around and fire from the hip. 9/10 times you'll hit your mark.

Ataturk

derFeef said:
Everytime this thread get´s a bump, I am reminded that I still need to play The Signal. Shame on me.
I finished it just over an hour, there's no reason not to play it. It's a pretty satisfying epilogue to the game and it adds a bit of the variety to the gameplay that was lacking in the main campaign.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
BreakyBoy said:
You're probably doing the same thing I did. Head shots don't mean anything. Aim for center mass, suddenly the whole game feels a lot easier. There's also a hefty amount of auto-aim, so don't be afraid to dodge, whip the camera around and fire from the hip. 9/10 times you'll hit your mark.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Wizpig

-viper- said:

You're probably rushing, and the game is nothing special when you rush it.
Also, if you're complaining BEFORE chapter 3, it means the game is not for you, because chapter 1 & 2 were absolutely fantastic and left me wondering what would happen next.

Then chapter 3 is a little bit too long.
Then the final chapters are all awesome, except the final one that is like 3.

Top Bottom